HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

MMA General Discussion Thread (UFC, Strikeforce, Dream etc...)

Closed Thread

Old
08-23-2012, 03:41 PM
Eskimo44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I'm putting this all on Dana not the guy who got shafted because the guy he was suppose to fight got injured.

Dana is becoming like Bettman, expanding too much and not caring about anything other than a ****ing TV deal. Years past he would've been able to take a fight from the next card and make this card go, but the cards now are so watered down that he can't do it.
I think there's truth in that, but IMO there is also a lot of talent in MMA. I like the fact that there are more events, but i do agree it's come at a price. However i'm willing to pay that price, at the end of the day this event was cancelled due to Jones punking out.

Old
08-23-2012, 03:45 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Ya lets try run one of the best MMA fighters in the world out of the UFA, that will teach him.
How am i suggesting to run him out? Where is he going to go? The UFC is monopolizing the sport, and if he's scared of fighting the best he's no champ anyway. If he wants to keep making millions doing what he loves he'll accept the terms, sorry if i don't feel bad for him having to do his job even when it's apparently inconvenient for him. The UFC should be deciding who fights who, not the fighters. After all they pay them to fight.

Old
08-23-2012, 03:45 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
I think there's truth in that, but IMO there is also a lot of talent in MMA. I like the fact that there are more events, but i do agree it's come at a price. However i'm willing to pay that price, at the end of the day this event was cancelled due to Jones punking out.
I said this when they bought Strikeforce and I'll say it again. UFC buying everything up is like what WWE did, sure they have it all but the product isn't going to be there.

This event was cancelled because Dana White tried to cheap out and when the main event got cancelled so did the event. Dana needs to have backup plans. What would've happened if both Henderson and Jones were hurt? There was zero back up plan and because of all these watered down events he can't even shuffle a fight from the next card down to this one.

Again why not just make this a free event?

Old
08-23-2012, 03:47 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
How am i suggesting to run him out? Where is he going to go? The UFC is monopolizing the sport, and if he's scared of fighting the best he's no champ anyway. If he wants to keep making millions doing what he loves he'll accept the terms, sorry if i don't feel bad for him having to do his job even when it's apparently inconvenient for him.
You can't see how stripping him of his title making him fight whoever Dana White wants would run a guy out?

I'm sure he could go over to Japan/Russia/Random American cards and do well for himself. He's made his name. Heck promote your own cards.

Old
08-23-2012, 03:53 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
You can't expect your champions to take fight's on short notice. Sure he trained, but he trained for Henderson not Sonnen.

I've never heard any other combat sport make their stars do such a thing
It seems to me the fighters themselves think it's reasonable, guys step up for replacement bouts all the time. Sonnen would of had a bigger disadvantage, he presumably hasn't been training. An couple intersting quotes courtsey of Muad'Dib:

Quote:
Joe Lauzon:
Not only has this screwed over all the fans that bought tickets, non refundable airfare, took off work, made arrangements, etc... but think of all the fighters. Fighters that put in full camps, flew people in that helped them trains, etc. By the time I am actually fight, I spend close to 20k between corners, flights, expenses, coaches, etc... and then to have the whole show cancelled because ONE guy didn't want to fight. This ONE guy that had trained an entire camp, who was the CHAMP and at the top of his weight class, who was going to fight someone who didn't do the camp, and was fighting UP a weight class.

I have always been a big Jon Jones supporter... but I would be FURIOUS if this happenned to me and I was on the card. To call is scorched earth wouldn't do it justice.

Quote:
Charlie Brenneman:
@jonnybones u can send my check to PO box 198. EH NJ. Rent is due the first, so preferably by then. Thanks. @ufc
If he's as talented as he seems to be then he ought to step up and prove it, he's not bigger than the sport. If other fighters can take on fights or change opponents on short notice, why can't he? If Royce Gracie can fight multiple guys in one night with no idea who's next, and some twice his size, i don't think Jones being matched up with a somewhat similar opponent should be considered too much of a hardship.

Old
08-23-2012, 03:58 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
You can't see how stripping him of his title making him fight whoever Dana White wants would run a guy out?

I'm sure he could go over to Japan/Russia/Random American cards and do well for himself. He's made his name. Heck promote your own cards.
He wouldn't make anywhere the same amount of money, if he could i'm sure many guys would leave. Who's he going to fight on these cards, vastly inferior opponents? The best is in the UFC, and they pay the most. Like it or not if Jones wants to be the best he has no choice in the matter. There is no Strikeforce or Pride anymore.

If you have the title you have an obligation to defend it. If he wants to run off because he's being forced to justify his paycheck then let him.

Old
08-23-2012, 04:00 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
I said this when they bought Strikeforce and I'll say it again. UFC buying everything up is like what WWE did, sure they have it all but the product isn't going to be there.

This event was cancelled because Dana White tried to cheap out and when the main event got cancelled so did the event. Dana needs to have backup plans. What would've happened if both Henderson and Jones were hurt? There was zero back up plan and because of all these watered down events he can't even shuffle a fight from the next card down to this one.

Again why not just make this a free event?
Oh i think you make some valid points here, and i agree making the card a free one would be a solid option. But at the end of the day the best fighters are fighting just as often and against the best opponents they are willing to fight, that hasn't changed. I don't mind more fights, i watch them for the entertainment not the names. The fight was cancelled not because of a lack of options, but because Jones wouldn't fight the option presented to him.

Old
08-23-2012, 04:00 PM
joestevens29

I read all that and really I don't care. They are complaining, but if they were the champ I'm pretty sure they'd be saying different.

Not Jones responsibility to make UFC cards, Dana has to do a better job and I hope this is a lesson.

Instead of trying to be in all these new countries and cities and instead of trying to go with 32(now 31) fights in a year, the UFC needs to get back to quality.

Also what are relevant fighters saying?

Old
08-23-2012, 04:06 PM
Bushwick Bill

Fact of the matter is, Bones doesn't deserve any of the blame really.. Should he of stepped up and saved the ufc's disaster of a ppv, of course he should of, he would of saved a lot of ppls *****

I am for the most part a fan of Dana, but he and the ufc are to blame for this card being cancelled. Frankie vs Maynard 3 was scheduled for ufc 130 and was scratched a couples weeks before and the card was still able to go on. Nate Marquart was suppose to be the main event for a fight night and 24 hours before the fights they had to reschedule Rick story to fight charlie b.. This stuff happens, but the ufc created only one fight worth paying for and now that fight is cancelled because Hendo is injured

As for watering down cards, I think that is a little exaggerated.. The ufc is providing 1-2 free cards a month now featuring fighters like Shogun, Machida, Sanchez, Maynard, Kampmann, and Thiago Alves.. These fights could be added to ppvs to help stack the fight card but I definitely prefer having more free fights

Old
08-23-2012, 04:08 PM
joestevens29

Benson Henderson ‏@BensonHenderson

Sorry fans but this is a big $ business & making the right choices can be difference between kids college tuition paid to MCHammer...

So please quit disparaging my boy @jonnybones...it's EASY to say u'd put it all on the line but he actually has & does...#respect homie

Yes...RT @Lanston: @BensonHenderson would you ever turn down a fight like Jon did?!

Old
08-23-2012, 04:11 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Brodziak View Post
Fact of the matter is, Bones doesn't deserve any of the blame really.. Should he of stepped up and saved the ufc's disaster of a ppv, of course he should of, he would of saved a lot of ppls *****

I am for the most part a fan of Dana, but he and the ufc are to blame for this card being cancelled. Frankie vs Maynard 3 was scheduled for ufc 130 and was scratched a couples weeks before and the card was still able to go on. Nate Marquart was suppose to be the main event for a fight night and 24 hours before the fights they had to reschedule Rick story to fight charlie b.. This stuff happens, but the ufc created only one fight worth paying for and now that fight is cancelled because Hendo is injured

As for watering down cards, I think that is a little exaggerated.. The ufc is providing 1-2 free cards a month now featuring fighters like Shogun, Machida, Sanchez, Maynard, Kampmann, and Thiago Alves.. These fights could be added to ppvs to help stack the fight card but I definitely prefer having more free fights
Doesn't matter how many free ones you offer, if you offer up crap when people are paying $60 bucks for PPV you have an issue.

Free ones are all fine and dandy but they need to make sure the PPV are still the quality that the UFC fans are use to.

The sad thing is there are good fights generally on all the cards, but without a name the UFC can't promote them.

Old
08-23-2012, 04:32 PM
Bushwick Bill

Quote:
Doesn't matter how many free ones you offer, if you offer up crap when people are paying $60 bucks for PPV you have an issue.

Free ones are all fine and dandy but they need to make sure the PPV are still the quality that the UFC fans are use to.

The sad thing is there are good fights generally on all the cards, but without a name the UFC can't promote them.
Ya man I agree with that, but its not like every ppv has been watered down.. I would say the majority aren't imo but injuries have made a mess of a lot of ppv's

Old
08-23-2012, 04:36 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Ya man I agree with that, but its not like every ppv has been watered down.. I would say the majority aren't imo but injuries have made a mess of a lot of ppv's
Honestly if a co-main event can't step in and take a card on if something fails then I call it watered down. I don't expect to see superstars and championship fights on all 5 or 6 of the main cards fight card, but there needs to be 2 real decent fights that everyone will know about and want to see.

This isn't something that is really shocking either. UFC has lucked out in the past a lot.

Edit: With the exception of those cards in Japan, Brazil and England those guys just go nuts when their countrymen are fighting and beating americans.

Old
08-23-2012, 04:37 PM
czar99

Random post warning!

Just watched "Warrior" on the weekend. MMA stuff aside probably one of the best movies I've watched in a long, long time. The ending is very well done. Watch it WATCH IT!

Old
08-23-2012, 04:46 PM
joestevens29

I don't know that I saw that one. Is it newer?

Old
08-23-2012, 04:49 PM
Bushwick Bill

Quote:
Honestly if a co-main event can't step in and take a card on if something fails then I call it watered down. I don't expect to see superstars and championship fights on all 5 or 6 of the main cards fight card, but there needs to be 2 real decent fights that everyone will know about and want to see.

This isn't something that is really shocking either. UFC has lucked out in the past a lot.

Edit: With the exception of those cards in Japan, Brazil and England those guys just go nuts when their countrymen are fighting and beating americans.
Agreed man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post
Random post warning!

Just watched "Warrior" on the weekend. MMA stuff aside probably one of the best movies I've watched in a long, long time. The ending is very well done. Watch it WATCH IT!
Warrior was a good movie, and a good watch for mma and non mma fans

Old
08-23-2012, 04:56 PM
czar99

Quote:
I don't know that I saw that one. Is it newer?
It's pretty new. It just came up on my shaw on demand. Like KB said its a good movie even if your not a fan of MMA. I just had a hard time with the fact that one character looks like Conan Obrian brother.

Old
08-24-2012, 08:47 AM
joestevens29

LOL, one fighter complaining that his fight was canceled but would be moved to a different date. Then complains that it's nice he'll get the fight but doesn't want a short notice fight.

LOL #2, Machida out Belfort in.

What also got me was reading that Henderson has had this tear for a few weeks now. So did Dana not know 3 weeks ago that there was a potential for him to be out?

Old
08-24-2012, 09:26 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
LOL, one fighter complaining that his fight was canceled but would be moved to a different date. Then complains that it's nice he'll get the fight but doesn't want a short notice fight.

LOL #2, Machida out Belfort in.

What also got me was reading that Henderson has had this tear for a few weeks now. So did Dana not know 3 weeks ago that there was a potential for him to be out?
the rumor from hendos camp is that he was going to fight anyway and the ufc doctors came in and evaluated him and told him he wont get cleared to fight.

but cheal did know about it and thats probably why he started calling bones out in the last few weeks. i wouldnt be surprised if ol uncle cheal started training for the fight secretly knowing he possibly could be a replacement.

Old
08-24-2012, 09:31 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
the rumor from hendos camp is that he was going to fight anyway and the ufc doctors came in and evaluated him and told him he wont get cleared to fight.

but cheal did know about it and thats probably why he started calling bones out in the last few weeks. i wouldnt be surprised if ol uncle cheal started training for the fight secretly knowing he possibly could be a replacement.
Wouldn't shock me either.

Old
08-24-2012, 09:35 AM
Bushwick Bill

I'm hoping they make Weidman vs Belcher now, that would be an awesome fight

Old
08-24-2012, 10:54 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Agreed man!

Warrior was a good movie, and a good watch for mma and non mma fans
This was one of the few sports movies that I think works better for non-fans. There was a few too many unrealistic parts of the fights for me as an mma fan. Especially the fight with the Russian guy (played by Kurt Angle). It was still a great film though.

Old
08-24-2012, 11:54 AM
OilDrop37

And now the UFC is saying that Silva offered to fill in to save the event. Said he'd fight anyone BUT Jones mind you. I'm guessing if Jones won't fight Sonnen on short notice, he's sure as hell not going to fight Silva..Of course he offered this AFTER the event was cancelled too.

Old
08-24-2012, 01:49 PM
Cam98

silav vs sonnen rematch? haha that be funny **** if that happened on short notice

Old
08-31-2012, 08:47 AM
joestevens29

Frankie Edgar in for Koch at 153 now. Looking forward to see Edgar dropping down.

Closed Thread