HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XV

Closed Thread

Old
08-23-2012, 02:07 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
what?? no post practice ice cream partys this year??
HAHAHA! Funny...

Old
08-23-2012, 02:07 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Bowman was also a good coach though. Hunter wasn't.
Who cares, it's all irrelevant unless you just want to complain or start a pissing content.

Old
08-23-2012, 02:33 PM
txpd

maybe i am wrong. i dont remember a lot of 180's going on after the caps beat the rangers. i remember my own pov best. i said that i didnt like it, but i can live with it as long as they win.

i thought all along it was incredible chancy to attempt to sit on e i very one goal lead that they got until it was gone. i was never on board with giving jay beagle 1st line minutes and benching ovechkin everytime the team got a lead past halfway.

i like winning better than being sold on strategy. they lost.

Old
08-23-2012, 02:42 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

I don't remember there being a lot of 180s at all. We didn't dominate the Bruins. We squeeked by. Anyone who was satisfied enough to change their opinion on the piss poor coaching job based on that is not too swift. Similar, the people who think Holtby was omgamazing because there were six players trying to block shots in the defensive zone at all times. Neuvy saw through it, he could have succeeded in the playoffs by just having to stand there and hope the puck hit him if the other team got to take a low percentage chance.

Old
08-23-2012, 03:08 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Yeah, we really need some hockey to start.
Talks ended after just 90 minutes today. Not looking good.

Old
08-23-2012, 03:14 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Talks ended after just 90 minutes today. Not looking good.
Man I'm just mentally preparing for no hockey this year.

08-23-2012, 03:15 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Twice in 6 ****ing years!!!!

Old
08-23-2012, 04:18 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
I don't remember there being a lot of 180s at all. We didn't dominate the Bruins. We squeeked by. Anyone who was satisfied enough to change their opinion on the piss poor coaching job based on that is not too swift. Similar, the people who think Holtby was omgamazing because there were six players trying to block shots in the defensive zone at all times. Neuvy saw through it, he could have succeeded in the playoffs by just having to stand there and hope the puck hit him if the other team got to take a low percentage chance.
lets be honest on holtby. he had games where he was the difference. he had games where he let the team down. he also had a couple of games where he was both. game 1 v boston for instance. he was strong and kept the team in the game. then he gave up a soft goal in overtime for the loss. i dont remember all the details, but didnt holtby stink it up in game 1 v the rangers?

all that said, they were one win away from the ecf and the ward thing was haunting. what gets lost in that was that the caps had a power play for an insurance goal midway to late in the 3rd and chose not to even try and score a goal. didnt they dump the puck in and send one forechecker and with 4 guys waiting at center on a power play?

it was a joke.

Old
08-23-2012, 04:18 PM
artilector

CBA talks have been sabotaged by KHL agents...

Re: Hunter, he was not an ideal coach, but he had undeniable positives, e.g. the first Caps coach with the balls to make his superstars accountable, not afraid to cut their (or anybody else's) ice-time. Too much so, perhaps, but that was a much-needed first in the Ovi era.

So, I didn't at all like the style that he coached, but thought he was a decent coach, consistent, had a clear team identity, and the only major objective negative was the lack of communication. But.. show me a coach without warts..

Old
08-23-2012, 04:19 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Man I'm just mentally preparing for no hockey this year.
i was prepared the moment donald fehr joined the party. no hockey this year.

Old
08-23-2012, 04:26 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
the only major objective negative was the lack of communication. But.. show me a coach without warts..
i think his clear strategy of playing one goal at a time hockey was the biggest negative. period. they tried to make each one goal lead they got hold up. any two goal lead they got was by mistake.

i have no problem with superstar accountability, but benching the team's offensive forwards when a 2nd period lead is acquired was pure strategy and a really bad idea.

i am on record here saying that i think jay beagle is a 3rd line/shutdown center for the caps when play resumes while most have him as a 4. its not beagle hate that has me saying that 20+ minutes of beagle while ovechkin and company watch from the bench in the 3rd period is beyond overkill. major negative

Old
08-23-2012, 04:32 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
all that said, they were one win away from the ecf and the ward thing was haunting. what gets lost in that was that the caps had a power play for an insurance goal midway to late in the 3rd and chose not to even try and score a goal. didnt they dump the puck in and send one forechecker and with 4 guys waiting at center on a power play?
That game is still a nightmare for me. I cringe when I think about it.

Old
08-23-2012, 05:13 PM
Atlas

Quote:

Re: Hunter, he was not an ideal coach, but he had undeniable positives, e.g. the first Caps coach with the balls to make his superstars accountable, not afraid to cut their (or anybody else's) ice-time. Too much so, perhaps, but that was a much-needed first in the Ovi era.

So, I didn't at all like the style that he coached, but thought he was a decent coach, consistent, had a clear team identity, and the only major objective negative was the lack of communication. But.. show me a coach without warts..

It's been a long time since I saw a Caps team play that hard consistently in the playoffs. They really believed in each other and had each other's backs.

But the talent was pretty thin as we have discussed ad infinitum (no C depth, Wideman sucking, yadda yadda). The Game 5 loss against the Rags was heartbreaking as was the worst 2:00 powerplay in the history of the NHL in the 3rd of Game 7. Just pathetic.

Hunter was radical and I'm not surprised he'd seen enough of this bunch. What I wouldn't give for a 10 yr series of bold, thought-out trades, FA signings and drafting! But no, we get to hope Wolski decides to play hard for once in his career.

Old
08-23-2012, 05:49 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:

I can't get behind this, not totally. It's more than just not liking the style, it's turning a good possession team into a horrible one. To me style is about what you do with possession (or when the other team doesn't have possession). Turning them into such a poor possession team is objectively bad.

To me the work he did would have been great if it had come from an assistant. Getting the guys to give their all in the D-zone? Commendable. Being the tough guy with some of the superstars? A breath of fresh air, probably. But I want the head coach to actually coach the team on the ice, too, not just get them to buy in.

Old
08-23-2012, 05:57 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
The thing that is guaranteeing a lockout, is that they haven't even started negotiating anything but HRR, nothing about revenue sharing(which is a complex subject) or contract lengths or the ELC debacle.

Old
08-23-2012, 06:22 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
I can't get behind this, not totally. It's more than just not liking the style, it's turning a good possession team into a horrible one. To me style is about what you do with possession (or when the other team doesn't have possession). Turning them into such a poor possession team is objectively bad.

To me the work he did would have been great if it had come from an assistant. Getting the guys to give their all in the D-zone? Commendable. Being the tough guy with some of the superstars? A breath of fresh air, probably. But I want the head coach to actually coach the team on the ice, too, not just get them to buy in.

brs, the team sucked. It was a Hunter Hockey Miracle that we even made the playoffs.

Scottie Bowman in his greatest days could not have done any better with the thin roster the Caps had last year. Our franchise is just not being run properly. McPhee tries and I like some of the things he does. But he is slow and timid--overall, he is incompetent. I'm sorry, George, it is what it is!

I think Ted is the true incompetent...if George was under a more fiery, knowledgable owner then George might well be bolder and successful. But Ted is satisfied with not winning anything in the playoffs if the fans are happy coming to the games. It's his team. He can have them.

Old
08-23-2012, 09:27 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
We needed to counter for goals and we sucked at it. With the volume of changes made, BB should have been canned in the offseason. We sucked trying to win in a possession game, its why Bruce got fired. Our young stars fell mightily and it had nothing to do with Dale nor his style. He neutered Ovi who didnt cherry pick for ENGs and still finished top 10 in goals scored.

Sadly behind him, Semin and Green just dont score like they used to. Nick missed much of 2012.

Dale had Ovi while being groomed into being a team player, and a bunch of grinders and kids. Our Cs, laughable with Nick out. Young on D, young in the net, I think most would painfully admit to themselves making a decent showing in a series 2 game 7 was progress for us. But won't admit it here.

Old
08-23-2012, 09:44 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

We haven't been a good possession team in the last 2 years...happened long before Hunter.

Old
08-24-2012, 07:09 AM
johnsic

I didnt like Hunter. He didnt know how to use Green, Semin or Ovie at all.

Old
08-24-2012, 07:56 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
We haven't been a good possession team in the last 2 years...happened long before Hunter.
We were at least good (if not very good) at generating shots, even at the beginning of last year. We went from one of the better teams to one of the worst teams in that regard under Hunter. And its not like Hunter took the shot volume down but brought the shot quality up...

Old
08-24-2012, 08:14 AM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
With the volume of changes made, BB should have been canned in the offseason.
If Oates is going to make wholesale changes they could be in trouble again, since it's pretty much guaranteed at this point that training camp will be truncated this year. It won't be as bad as trying to implement new systems halfway through the year, but a shortened preseason will take away from Oates' teaching opportunities.

Old
08-24-2012, 08:37 AM
Mothra

Quote:
He got remarkably lucky (Holtby), and even then barely squeaked by. He turned a good/very good possession team into one that couldn't control play to save their lives.

Full credit to them for getting the guys to buy in to sacrificing themselves for the sake of defense etc. But as a head coach he was, to put it simply, terrible. If you want to say that he would have taken things up in phases and implemented a legitimate system if given enough time, fine. But what we saw was horrible coaching outside of the defensive zone. That's not even touching the questionable lineup decisions.

Now, the fact that he got remarkably lucky when most of the time the Caps seem to get remarkably unlucky might be worth something.

(Despite what this looks like, I'm over it and wish him well. But I won't blame players who didn't like his style and I'd agree with them. He seemed to be neither a good strategist nor a good players' coach, and being neither of those things leaves you with little else. The Bowman analogy has nothing to work with).
This is just ridiculous....first off, how many winning teams arent lucky, to some extent?

your position seems to be Hunter is a "terrible" coach...who just got lucky for 2+ weeks when the real season started.....

thats totally ridiculous.....Im not suggesting he was some genius but seriously, terrible? If you dont think thats big overstatement then youre blinded by some sort of long standing internet arguement or something. Either that or you just flat out have no idea what youre talking about

Old
08-24-2012, 08:41 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

He was blatantly bad in every zone but the D zone. Call it whatever you want but it is what it is. To me, that's terrible.

Old
08-24-2012, 09:59 AM
Atlas

After 30 yrs, I'm finally getting accustomed to the Caps' motto:

It's not about winning the Cup, it's about having fun out there!

Really, I'm not even angry anymore. I used to get angry because I thought something could be done to change it. Now I see that winning is not the highest ranking thing for Ted and company.

We are not the New York Yankees, we are the Washington Capitals.

Old
08-24-2012, 10:01 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

They've fill the arena....90% of plan accomplished....the rest (actually winning) is gravy.

Closed Thread