HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Brendan Smith tops solid group of Detroit Red Wings prospects

Old
08-22-2012, 05:15 PM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Brendan Smith tops solid group of Detroit Red Wings prospects

After an offseason of unprecedented change, the Detroit Red Wings' prospects will be relied upon more than they have been in over a decade to have an impact at the NHL level.

Expectations are high for Brendan Smith and Gustav Nyquist, and if they falter, Detroit's system is laden with talent that may be ready to take a step forward this season. If the offseason has proven anything, it is that the Red Wings have to adapt to a CBA-controlled world in which free agents are less crucial to future success than highly skilled prospects. Luckily for Detroit fans, the farm system is stacked with just that type of player.… read more

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 07:37 PM
Smoky

Pretty good list but Tvrdon at 16th ?

Edit: No Marchenko either?

Last edited by Smoky: 08-22-2012 at 08:41 PM.
Smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 07:57 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

vCash: 600
I guess our writer isn't very high on Tvrdon, I'd put him at 7.0C or 7.5D. He has just as much offenisve potential as our other forwards thta high in the list. Also the fact McCollum is on the list and Quine/Marchenko isn't is a bit disappointing.

DatsyukToZetterberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 08:16 PM
grsbmd

Not fans of Marchenko, I guess.

grsbmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 08:52 PM
Thrace

Nice write up. I won't profess to knowing enough about these guys to comment on the ranking, but I'd like to know if the projection about Tatar being a checking line guy is held unilaterally. I know his stock has dropped slightly in terms of production, but after watching him at the WCs it looked like he could still be a 2nd liner if things go right. Thoughts?

Thrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:15 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrace View Post
Nice write up. I won't profess to knowing enough about these guys to comment on the ranking, but I'd like to know if the projection about Tatar being a checking line guy is held unilaterally. I know his stock has dropped slightly in terms of production, but after watching him at the WCs it looked like he could still be a 2nd liner if things go right. Thoughts?
I am one of those guys who isn't amped on Tatar. If he was a surefire top 6 forward he'd probably have made the team or would be a lock this season. He's got decent offensive skills but he doesn't have any one skill that really stands out. So I think bottom 6 forward is a very safe projection. Val Filppula had one season in Grand Rapids and put up 71 points. Tatar has two seasons as a Griffin and has scored 57 and 58 points. It took Filppula a bit to firmly establish himself as a top 6 forward but he's clearly our best forward behind Pavs and possibly, maybe Hank.

I simply haven't seen enough from Tomas Tatar to be convinced he's a solid top 6 NHL forward.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:30 PM
jfrank21

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
I am one of those guys who isn't amped on Tatar. If he was a surefire top 6 forward he'd probably have made the team or would be a lock this season. He's got decent offensive skills but he doesn't have any one skill that really stands out. So I think bottom 6 forward is a very safe projection. Val Filppula had one season in Grand Rapids and put up 71 points. Tatar has two seasons as a Griffin and has scored 57 and 58 points. It took Filppula a bit to firmly establish himself as a top 6 forward but he's clearly our best forward behind Pavs and possibly, maybe Hank.

I simply haven't seen enough from Tomas Tatar to be convinced he's a solid top 6 NHL forward.
Yeah, but you have to remember, Tatar is only 7 months older NOW than Flip was when he played his one season for GR. So why don't we see how he looks this year before saying that he won't/can't reach that top 6 status.

jfrank21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:00 PM
wingz rule

quick question, why weren't any of the other prospects in this years draft given a ranking besides Frk?

wingz rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:03 PM
joe89

Although I disagree with parts of the ranking, it's always good to read an outsiders perspective and write-up.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:08 PM
kuick
Tatar Sauce

Replace Lashoff with Marchenko and this list looks pretty good.

kuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:10 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
No surprise to a lot of you around here I find Tvrdon's ranking 6.5C pretty awful. McCollum no longer belongs on these lists he has to earn his way back. Would have gone with Quine or Marchenko there.

On the Tatar discussion the fact he improved his defense is important in that it will give him a spot in the lineup until an injury allows him in the top 6. The way he used to play just didn't allow that, he was going to have trouble earning his way up the lineup. He has improved both his defense and skating a lot in my opinion and put some jam into his game as well. He will make a very talented third liner for a couple years but I think he will eventually work his way into the top 6. His performance at the Worlds was very impressive. He also finished the year in Grand Rapids on an absolute tear. Nyquist and him are similar but because Gus is better I think Tatar has lost some value around here. He is still a very exciting prospect with a lot of tools.

Find it interesting that Lashoff and Almqvist remain high in this writers opinions, I haven't seen it. Almqvist is a very good puck mover and I am glad he is out of the bad situation in Sweden. But he has a lot to prove this year and I hope he does. Lashoff hinted at this offensive upside in his first signed year at the end of the year with Grand Rapids. He has been hurt a little since, but he was terrible the whole first half of last season in Grand Rapids. I cannot justify him being this high on the list.

By the way how many teams can boast they have likely member of Canada's WJC team as their 10th best prospect? Great organizational depth right there.

Last edited by The Zetterberg Era: 08-22-2012 at 10:18 PM.
The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:16 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingz rule View Post
quick question, why weren't any of the other prospects in this years draft given a ranking besides Frk?
None of them deserve it. I like AA (forward) and his speed but the fact remains he was there because of an awful season for us to snap up in the fourth round. He has that new prospect thing going but he hasn't accomplished near what a lot of the guys ahead of him and a couple of guys off the list in Marchenko and Quine have.

It is fine to be excited about him but Ferraro and Quine also have elite speed and actually were even more highly thought of entering their draft years. Those two have actually showed signs of doing that again or changing their games to a useful NHL skill set. The Greek lightning needs to do something like that this year to climb into the rankings. I hope he gets moved from London, Quine's change of scenary really helped him in my opinion.

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:30 PM
wingz rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
None of them deserve it. I like AA (forward) and his speed but the fact remains he was there because of an awful season for us to snap up in the fourth round. He has that new prospect thing going but he hasn't accomplished near what a lot of the guys ahead of him and a couple of guys off the list in Marchenko and Quine have.

It is fine to be excited about him but Ferraro and Quine also have elite speed and actually were even more highly thought of entering their draft years. Those two have actually showed signs of doing that again or changing their games to a useful NHL skill set. The Greek lightning needs to do something like that this year to climb into the rankings. I hope he gets moved from London, Quine's change of scenary really helped him in my opinion.
lol sorry that's not what i meant should have been more clear. I mean in the section where it lists all of our prospects and gives a ranking i.e nyquist 8.0 C under Left Wing

wingz rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 11:21 PM
Luuuongo
Crabs!

I actually have this question about Smith and coincidentally there's an article about him!

Is he NHL ready? Another question, is he expected to have a big role/PP time with Lidstrom now retired?

Luuuongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 11:35 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Find it interesting that Lashoff and Almqvist remain high in this writers opinions, I haven't seen it. Almqvist is a very good puck mover and I am glad he is out of the bad situation in Sweden. But he has a lot to prove this year and I hope he does. Lashoff hinted at this offensive upside in his first signed year at the end of the year with Grand Rapids. He has been hurt a little since, but he was terrible the whole first half of last season in Grand Rapids. I cannot justify him being this high on the list.
This season could be huge for those two. If either can establish himself in GR, he could move into Detroit's plans in a hurry with how their blueline could turn over again after this season and with Sproul,Ouellet, Marchenko, etc. all likely being at least a year away heading into 13/14. Of course, it'd help if we actually play hockey this year. An injury or two and someone like Almqvist, Lashoff or Nicastro could be looking at a huge opportunity to make a good impression on Babcock. If the season is cancelled, or even shortened, it's much less likely.

If no one makes an impression this season, though, they are probably looking at being buried by the next wave (assuming at least one or two of Sproul/Ouellet/Marchenko/Backman continue to develop well).

08-22-2012, 11:43 PM
Trvp Lord

Send a message via MSN to Trvp Lord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuuongo View Post
I actually have this question about Smith and coincidentally there's an article about him!

Is he NHL ready? Another question, is he expected to have a big role/PP time with Lidstrom now retired?
Yes, he is NHL ready. He will get into the top-4 this year IMO with lots of PP time.

Trvp Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 08:37 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuuongo View Post
Yes and yes.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 09:37 AM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrank21 View Post
Yeah, but you have to remember, Tatar is only 7 months older NOW than Flip was when he played his one season for GR. So why don't we see how he looks this year before saying that he won't/can't reach that top 6 status.
Um the article was posted recently so the writer had to make a determination based on what Tatar has done to date which doesn't scream surefire top 6 forward.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 11:29 AM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
So lashoff makes the list and Athanasiou, Marchenko and Paterson dont?

Riiiight...

Also, tatar over Jarnkrok is funny. Jurco should also be a 8.0C because the kid has the highest ceiling of any forward prospect IMHO.

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 11:40 AM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post

Riiiight...

Also, tatar over Jarnkrok is funny. Jurco should also be a 8.0C because the kid has the highest ceiling of any forward prospect IMHO.
But Jurco isn't a sure thing yet, I'd have no problem giving him an 8.0D, but the C would put him at the same level as Nyquist and at this point I don't think Jurco has proven enough.

DatsyukToZetterberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 05:09 PM
jfrank21

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
Um the article was posted recently so the writer had to make a determination based on what Tatar has done to date which doesn't scream surefire top 6 forward.
So you don't think that being the 26th best scorer in the entire AHL while rounding out his all around game, playing in TWO World Championships, and having a great international junior career (all before turning 22 which won't happen until December) doesn't suggest that there's a good possibility he's going to be a top 6 forward?

I'm not trying to go back and forth with you and I'm not trying to say that I'm right and you're wrong or anything...I just think you should be more optimistic about his future. He's still really young and still has plenty of potential, it's just that he's been sitting in the AHL for so long (since iirc he was the youngest or one of the youngest ever to play in the AHL) that I think it's easy to forget just how much promise he has.

jfrank21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 06:57 PM
Konnan511
#Loyalty

Send a message via AIM to Konnan511
Quote:
Originally Posted by grsbmd View Post
Not fans of Marchenko, I guess.
He hasn't shown anything. I think he's one of our best D prospects, but he hasn't been healthy so it makes sense. Frk has shown previously he's a dynamic force, while Marchenko hasn't. Yet.

Konnan511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 07:20 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

I really hope Smith and Nyquist have great rookie seasons. If they end up being in the Calder discussion, this season will be a success.

WingedWheel1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 07:49 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post

Riiiight...

Athanisou shouldnt be on this list. The guy was a bum this year in London, he has skills yes and speed but cant use them effectively. Sure if he breaks out with that skill he cuold be great but he was a le rounder for a reason. Might as well complain about Mckee missing the list if you have a problem with AA not being there

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 08:49 PM
Tatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
I really hope Smith and Nyquist have great rookie seasons. If they end up being in the Calder discussion, this season will be a success.
Agreed. Smith has a better chance in my opinion. The lack of defense will be a blessing and a killer. He'll have plenty of ice time, but his +/- might look bad.

Tatar is offline   Reply With Quote