HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Paul Ranger Signs AHL Contract? - Update: Signed with Marlies

Old
08-23-2012, 03:40 PM
JackJ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraLupin View Post
Does anyone else think, that if he's kept in shape during this time, he is going to find his way to the Maple leafs in no time this season?
Surely that's the plan. I doubt he's making a comeback just to become an AHL superstar.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 03:45 PM
Morguee
That's Mind-boggling

May have already been asked but if he is playing well and ends up signing a pro contract with the Leafs does he need to go through waivers?

Morguee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 06:50 PM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender2.0 View Post
Paul Ranger is a loser. I'm sorry but that's just what I think. And I know the typical hf bleeding hearts will come in here asking me what's wrong with me and that I should be all ''comprehensive'' and yadda yadda yadda. Yeah I get that. But To me, he's simply a loser who made it this far into his hockey career, and then just quit. What the hell? What kind of person dedicates his life to hockey then just decides one day ''meh, don't want to play anymore, I quit.'' Does he even realize the chance he had, playing in the best league in the world? Does he realize what the odds are of him, as a hockey player, to make it to the NHL, let alone the AHL or any professional league? Unbelievable. There are players who bust their ***** their entire career just to try and make it to the NHL, and there are players who would give their left nut for just one shift in the NHL. And then there is Ranger on the other hand, who had it all, and, ''nah, don't feel like playing anymore, I quit''. Unbelievable.

What a loser. And now he is probably realizing the opportunity he missed and how much money he could have made had he not decided to quit his hockey career so he has come crawling back. Well good luck going anywhere now. If I was a GM, I'd want nothing to do with that loser. I know I will get flamed big time for this post and that I should be all ''sensitive'' and ''comprehensive'' to poor little Paul who decided to abandon hockey, but whatever. This whole story is incomprehensible to me.
I think you need to learn what the word "comprehensive" means,

Because you clearly have absolutely no clue.

Bravid Nonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 07:22 PM
FinRuutu
Red Wins

Quote:
Paul Ranger is a loser. I'm sorry but that's just what I think. And I know the typical hf bleeding hearts will come in here asking me what's wrong with me and that I should be all ''comprehensive'' and yadda yadda yadda. Yeah I get that. But To me, he's simply a loser who made it this far into his hockey career, and then just quit. What the hell? What kind of person dedicates his life to hockey then just decides one day ''meh, don't want to play anymore, I quit.'' Does he even realize the chance he had, playing in the best league in the world? Does he realize what the odds are of him, as a hockey player, to make it to the NHL, let alone the AHL or any professional league? Unbelievable. There are players who bust their ***** their entire career just to try and make it to the NHL, and there are players who would give their left nut for just one shift in the NHL. And then there is Ranger on the other hand, who had it all, and, ''nah, don't feel like playing anymore, I quit''. Unbelievable.

What a loser. And now he is probably realizing the opportunity he missed and how much money he could have made had he not decided to quit his hockey career so he has come crawling back. Well good luck going anywhere now. If I was a GM, I'd want nothing to do with that loser. I know I will get flamed big time for this post and that I should be all ''sensitive'' and ''comprehensive'' to poor little Paul who decided to abandon hockey, but whatever. This whole story is incomprehensible to me.
Does that include every job that requires dedication? You get into the law school, you become promising new lawyer but you find out that there is more in life than just being lawyer and that you have a possibility to take a break from all of that for awhile. Are you a loser if you take a step back and think what you really want from your life?

You can replace the lawyer / ice-hockey player with almost any occupation or job. There is no way that you have any right to tell anyone that what they should do with their lives. Nobody is loser if he does what he thinks that is best for him, actually thats smart and shows that money hasn't blinded the person by taking the money and just doing it for moneys sake.

Get over yourself.

ps. The word you are looking for might be "permissive."

FinRuutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 07:25 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morguee View Post
May have already been asked but if he is playing well and ends up signing a pro contract with the Leafs does he need to go through waivers?
From the resident CBA expert kdb209: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=143

Quote:
He reportedly signed an AHL SPC with the Marlies - not an NHL one with the Leafs.

He will likely sign for less than the $105K Re-Entry Waiver limit. If he signs an AHL SPC for more than that, he would be subject to Re-Entry Waivers if later signed by the Leafs (the Marlies NHL affiliate) this season (*), but not if signed by another NHL team.

(*) Assuming there is a "this season" and the Re-Entry Waiver rules remain the same under a new CBA.

edit: Ranger would not be subject to Re-Entry Waivers. He is eligible for the Veteran Minor League Player exemption (320+ pro games played and < 40/80 NHL games played during the last one/two years). I was surprised that Ranger had played that many pro games (270 NHL + 70 AHL = 340 professional games).
As he noted, this is assuming that the re-entry rules aren't tweaked in the next CBA.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 07:57 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinRuutu View Post
ps. The word you are looking for might be "permissive."
I was thinking compassionate or empathetic myself, but I'm not sure he's ever heard those words.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 08:12 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
I was thinking compassionate or empathetic myself, but I'm not sure he's ever heard those words.
Meybe he should be more comprehensive

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 05:32 PM
Volcanologist
Used Register

Quote:

Agreed.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 05:36 PM
Cool Beans Man

Quote:
Am I missing something? Because that seemed to be the reason given for his ''retirement''...that there was no specific reason, that he was just basically quit hockey because he ''didn't have it in him anymore'' or something. Unless something else has come out? Hey if he had serious issues or illness or whatever, than this is an entirely different story. I'm just going off of what I heard from many sources.
Some people actually have a better idea of what happened.

So yeah, he didn't just quit "because he didn't have it in him." Find real sources.

Cool Beans Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 01:58 AM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans Man View Post
Some people actually have a better idea of what happened.

So yeah, he didn't just quit "because he didn't have it in him."
To be fair, we were told down here that he had lost the desire to play the game, that may be where that's coming from.

Quote:
Find real sources.
That makes it sound like you have some... if so, what do they have to say?

Boltsfan2029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 02:48 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Good for ranger, whats the big deal?

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 03:35 AM
Honour Over Glory

He had hype, didn't live up to it, started to be a different player and it was working for him, then he disappeared and with the time he's taken off, he's not going to come back and get back on track. He'll be lucky to be 1/2 the player he was before.

This isn't a game where you can take time off like that and come back like things never changed and get better, plenty of players have found out before, he's not like some legendary talented guy either.

Best of luck to him with the Marlies, his situation was one of the more bizarre things I've ever heard about, like nothing was ever leaked or anything and it left everything up in the air for me for what was wrong with him. It was odd, but it's whatever.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 04:05 AM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

Quote:

I'm going to guess you were the guy who always got picked last for street hockey.

RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 05:36 AM
bottomofthefoodchain

Just because he signed an AHL contract with the Marlies doesn't mean he'll sign an NHL contract with the Leafs. He's just as likely to sign with Tampa (if he ever becomes an NHL player again that is).
Stop whining.

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 12:38 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain View Post
Just because he signed an AHL contract with the Marlies doesn't mean he'll sign an NHL contract with the Leafs. He's just as likely to sign with Tampa (if he ever becomes an NHL player again that is).
Stop whining.
Earlier in this thread there's a link to an article which pretty much says the entire goal is to sign with Toronto and they think he could be in their top 6 if he can get back into his old form.

Old
08-25-2012, 12:42 PM
Trap Jesus

Good to see him getting back into hockey. Whatever happened, you know it had to be something serious, so best of luck to him.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 01:59 PM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain View Post
Stop whining.
Not true, generally players that excel on AHL contracts will only be released mid-season by their AHL team to sign with the parent club.

Example last season being Cory Conacher, undrafted, released from AHL contract midseason, signed with Tampa, won MVP.

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 02:27 PM
Honour Over Glory

All this means to me is that he wants to play again and be close to home and so he signs with the Marlies with an AHL contract and when he's ready, he can easily just sign with the Bolts and move back there.

Mountain out of a molehill.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 02:30 PM
The Hockey Life
HF Boards Partner

Like this move.

The Hockey Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 05:56 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
All this means to me is that he wants to play again and be close to home and so he signs with the Marlies with an AHL contract and when he's ready, he can easily just sign with the Bolts and move back there.

Mountain out of a molehill.
From the article linked in Post #175, sure doesn't sound like there's any destination other than Toronto in mind...

Quote:
While the Leafs have a glut of NHL-quality defencemen in the organization, it is thought that if Ranger can return to form, he would be a legitimate candidate to secure one of the top six spots in the organization.

"He has been out of the game for personal reasons and sees an opportunity to get back into it and knows the environment we have created here and he feels this is an excellent opportunity for him," said Dave Poulin, the Leafs' vice-president of hockey operations. "This kid can play. I watched him skate yesterday and wow, he can fly. He had some personal challenges off the ice and he has met them and he feels he's in a good position to come back with an organization that is going to support him in every way possible."
Of course, "an organization that is going to support him in every way possible" is certainly a very accurate description of what the Lightning have done for him over the last 3 years, but I don't think it was us Mr. Poulin was talking about!

Old
08-25-2012, 05:59 PM
inthewings

Quote:

Yeah, damn him for not taking employment where you wanted him to.

inthewings is offline   Reply With Quote