HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

After the lockout...

Old
08-23-2012, 04:06 PM
Mondello
Makin' the scene...

vCash: 500
After the lockout...

...I can, as a STH, demonstrate my disgust and cancel my tickets. Of course that won't do any good, because some (likely) corporate schmuck will scoop them up in a second;

Or I can jump to my feet admiringly to the strains of "Boys of Winter," hooting and hollering as our heroes return to the ice as if nothing happened and feel personally touched by all the inevitable "welcome back to the best fans in sports" or some such drivel--and drop a few more hundreds dollars each game for the privilege of doing so;

Or I can scalp each and every one of my tickets and realize a fairly sizable profit of my own in a cynical gesture that seems perfectly appropriate for today's NHL.

I'm leaning torwards number three....

Mondello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 04:15 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Yeah I'm not getting Centre Ice this year.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 05:03 PM
TopShelfGoal

Oh, there's a lockout?

TopShelfGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 05:43 PM

So what... I'll get my hockey fix playing or watching some great junior hockey. We'll still be paying $15 for water and a hot dog with ticket prices through the roof when they get back anyway.

Take your time boys it really isn't that big a deal. Love hockey but the NHL's been a joke for a long time.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 05:57 PM
Til the End of Time

i'm not even sure what this labor dispute is about.

last time the player salaries were out of whack and there was a huge discrepancy between rich and poor teams.

those things were addressed, what is the problem this time?

Til the End of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 06:06 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

I can tell I'm getting older and more disillusioned 'cause I don't even care anymore. **** everybody.

bathroomSTAAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 06:07 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post

last time the player salaries were out of whack and there was a huge discrepancy between rich and poor teams.

everyone wants more money. The bottom group of owners probably need it to make those teams good investments. Everyone else just wants it because everyone loves money.

what it is, bro

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 07:16 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

I really can't understand the owners position. It is pure corporate greed. These players make the game what it is. The teams that are struggling are doing so because of a poor business plan and Bettman forcing the NHL on the south. Anybody who blames the players here is just not paying attention.

froods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 07:27 PM
Til the End of Time

i really dont care which side is in the "right."

bottom line, if the owners win it will be good for the penguins. if the players win, it will be bad for the penguins.

hence i side with the owners.

Old
08-23-2012, 07:53 PM
Konstantin Koltsov

I kinda wish I could say "Oh **** 'em all. If they can't figure out how to divide up billions dollars among themselves, then I don't need to waste my time on their product." But I know I can't do that. Whenever the puck drops, whether it's in October or December or sometime in 2013, I know I'll be glued to my TV screen.

Konstantin Koltsov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 08:17 PM
Pancakes

Quote:
i really dont care which side is in the "right."

bottom line, if the owners win it will be good for the penguins. if the players win, it will be bad for the penguins.

hence i side with the owners.
No. If the owners win it will be good for the owners. That doesn't mean the Penguins will be any better off. They spend to the cap, and will do so regardless of what revenue changes are adopted. They sell out every game, and will do so regardless of what changes are adopted.

Don't be fooled. If the owners win and get a system where they make more money that has absolutely nothing to do with the Pens putting a better product on the ice because we're fortunate enough to already have owners that do every thing they possibly can to make sure the Pens have the best team possible.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 08:35 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
No. If the owners win it will be good for the owners. That doesn't mean the Penguins will be any better off. They spend to the cap, and will do so regardless of what revenue changes are adopted. They sell out every game, and will do so regardless of what changes are adopted.

Don't be fooled. If the owners win and get a system where they make more money that has absolutely nothing to do with the Pens putting a better product on the ice because we're fortunate enough to already have owners that do every thing they possibly can to make sure the Pens have the best team possible.
You could actually argue that the Pens are worse off if the owners get their way. Not because it changes anything with us but it'll help out some other teams.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 08:47 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:

In the short term, a higher cap would be nice. But history shows we are not going to pay to the cap indefinitely if it goes up too high. Successful or not, we are a small market team. We don't have the pockets of a team like the Rangers of Flyers.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 09:11 PM
Gallatin
A Banksy of Goonism

The NHL is spiraling downward right now as revenue growth for a select few teams is dramatically outpasing the Pittsburghs' of the league, driving up the costs for 20 some teams that just can't keep up. Do not kid yourselves, the Penguins will not be able to continue spending to the cap if something is not done.

The top 5 NHL teams made about 210 million last year, the rest lost about 84 million collectively. This is obviously not a healthy league. Pens lost 200k BTW.
http://www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations/list/

Also read this very interesting article that shows the NHL is significantly overpaying as a percentage of revenue compared to the other salary cap leagues, and that 18 teams (a significant majority) lost money.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozan...ess-of-hockey/

Please educate yourselves on the real issues folks, this is going to be a long lockout, and we really should be on the side of owners in this IMO. That is if the Penguins welfare and ability to compete is the most important issue for you as it is for me.

Gallatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 09:36 PM
Til the End of Time

Quote:

why are we convinced that the penguins will always spend to the cap? right now they have great players, a winning product, and a new arena. they are taking in a lot of money. so they are willing to spend to the cap now.

but maybe 5, 10 years from now that will be old news. decent chance the penguins are a mediocre team. they wont be taking in as much money. other teams in bigger markets with wealthier owners (yeah yeah burkle, but he hasnt shown hes willing to incur huge losses like some other ownership groups) will be able to dwarf the penguins spending.

i feel like people are forgetting that the penguins are not a big market team. they are a small market team that basically got lucky with sid and geno and a new arena, creating a perfect storm for temporarily breaking the bank and being among the leagues biggest spenders.

Old
08-23-2012, 09:37 PM
Mondello
Makin' the scene...

Quote:

If the Players win, it'll be good for Philly, NYR, Montreal, Toronto, etc. Small markets will get the scraps.

Mondello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 09:37 PM
Til the End of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
You could actually argue that the Pens are worse off if the owners get their way. Not because it changes anything with us but it'll help out some other teams.
please explain.

Old
08-23-2012, 10:32 PM
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallatin View Post
The NHL is spiraling downward right now as revenue growth for a select few teams is dramatically outpasing the Pittsburghs' of the league, driving up the costs for 20 some teams that just can't keep up. Do not kid yourselves, the Penguins will not be able to continue spending to the cap if something is not done.

The top 5 NHL teams made about 210 million last year, the rest lost about 84 million collectively. This is obviously not a healthy league. Pens lost 200k BTW.

Also read this very interesting article that shows the NHL is significantly overpaying as a percentage of revenue compared to the other salary cap leagues, and that 18 teams (a significant majority) lost money.

Please educate yourselves on the real issues folks, this is going to be a long lockout, and we really should be on the side of owners in this IMO. That is if the Penguins welfare and ability to compete is the most important issue for you as it is for me.
Link is dead. Damn, I really wanted to read that. BTW, I am siding with the owner's on this one. If the NHLPA wins, the big market teams will reap the most benefits and the mediocre and small market teams will fight for whats left. We have to think long term. And as great as we have it now it could change in the future.

Mo Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 11:12 PM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Wanchuk View Post
Link is dead. Damn, I really wanted to read that. BTW, I am siding with the owner's on this one. If the NHLPA wins, the big market teams will reap the most benefits and the mediocre and small market teams will fight for whats left. We have to think long term. And as great as we have it now it could change in the future.
Here it is

If that link doesn't work, Gallatin also put it in the CBA thread which is stickied at the top of the page. That's where it worked for me

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 11:45 PM
StoneColdFlower*
El Sid

Quote:
Originally Posted by froods View Post
Bettman forcing the NHL on the south.

I'm not fan of Bettman, but the wheels of Southern expansion were set in motion before he became commissioner. He was just the guy the BoG used to implement the plan.

StoneColdFlower* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 11:56 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

I have a hard time siding with Bettman when Phoenix has to be operated out of league coffers in order to prolong a failed experiment.

Not to mention the fact that the players made the huge concession on a cap last time in a so-called "partnership", but are now being asked to make further concessions because owners want an even bigger share of the net profit, citing losses without providing public numbers.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 04:46 AM
FDBluth

It would be nice to see all the fans boycott their home team's first game when they come back. Or all the games. I don't really care. I want to see elite hockey players play hockey....I honestly couldn't care less about the NHL.

FDBluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 05:11 AM
Slabber Chops

Quote:

That's the frustrating point. What is the problem this time?? I'll give a pretty penny to the person who can adequately answer that question.

Slabber Chops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 05:15 AM
Slabber Chops

Quote:
Thank you for that. Much appreciated

Slabber Chops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 05:35 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:

Sorry but the Owners have made themselves out to be complete buffoons in this so far. I'm on the players side.

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote