HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice

Closed Thread

Old
08-22-2012, 08:18 PM
AIREAYE

vCash: 500
After break-in, your heel will shift a little bit further back too, so 7.5 doesn't sound too bad.

Old
08-22-2012, 10:37 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Yeah. I've used my One70s for a bit over a year... But boy are they wrecked by now. I've been on the ice at least 4-5 times per week for a year straight. The linings on the side are coming off, the blade holders are dented, cut to hell. I'll admit I haven't been paying a lot of attention to maintaining my skates before, but it's seen quite a bit of damage over this last year or so.

Either way, I'm looking to buy a new pair because I'm headed to Asia for at least a year or more without going back to North America. Thus, I want to get a pair now as hockey equipment is scarce and overpriced in Asia. I'm trying to decide between the One100 at $600 or the Matrix at $450. I'm leaning towards the former at the moment.

Any thoughts?

Old
08-23-2012, 10:15 PM
Gomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Saw the pictures and agree that you seem to have that wider forefoot, deep instep and narrow ankles that you mentioned. I appreciate the situational breakdown too!

Don't worry about the regional markups, the opportunity to get them baked/fitted/sharpened will outweigh any small markups. If you factor in the uncertainty of online purchasing, wait time and necessity for a bake/sharpen, it will almost always be worth it to buy locally.

Did you try the Vapors in a EE width?
Soooooo... I went back on tried on a Supreme. By the time it was all said and done, I wound up in a 5.5D ONE.9. It felt pretty good. Close to the front of the boot but not tight at all. One of my heels was a little loose but as far as my experience goes, was on par or a little better than everything else I've worn. If anything they were a little tighter in the ankle then I like (pinching the Achilles a bit). I expect that if I buy them, that will settle down a bit.

So where I stand today... they are ordering a Vapor in a 5.5EE for me. I couldn't see dropping 4 bills on a new pair of skates without exploring my options. Though the Supremes felt pretty good.

My concern is:
1.The differences in the Vapors and Supremes. As I understand it the Vapor is more "aggressive" while the Supreme is more back on the heels. I've only been skating 3 years but I'm good enough that that surprises most people. But I have no idea what that means. As I understand it, the S12s I had were aggressive as well. Is it easy to adapt from one to the other. Again, I don't like the idea of a $400 experiment.

2. Is a junior Supreme the same quality/durability as a senior Supreme?

3. I can afford a jr ONE.9, but if I were in a sr, I'd only be buying the ONE.7. The jr ONE.7 is half as much as the jr ONE.9. Am I really getting 2X as much skate?

Old
08-23-2012, 11:17 PM
AIREAYE

The Vapors are considered more aggressive only because of the slight lean in the boot (compare the back spines and tendon guard and you will see). Don't worry about this as you will most likely be able to quickly adjust. Otherwise, you can always change the pitch to suit your tastes.

Jumping from a 5.5 to a 6 will yield no difference so don't worry about that.

You can't really quantify what you're getting in skates like that, if you pay twice as much the skate will definitely be better and more durable, whether it's worth that is completely up to you and your situation.

Old
09-15-2012, 12:33 AM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Okay, I'm having a little bit of a problem with my skates, so I'm coming here to see if it's a fit thing that could be fixed with insoles or if I'm in the market for a new pair of skates.

I measured a 5.5EE when I first sized, but I comfortably wear a 6D as well with my toe just barely brushing the toecap while standing. I bought an ultra-cheap but new pair of Reebok 1Ks because at the time I was playing 3-4 times a month an still just learning.

Now I'm definitely a better skater, though my outside edges and I still have a fleeting relationship. But I've noticed (and a coach I work with has noticed) that my blades skitter/chatter instead of glide at time, especially skating backwards. I can also feel my right heel getting some lift in the boot. It doesn't move forward, but it comes up a quarter or a half inch. I also have a fairly high arch, and I get occasional foot cramps (especially going backwards) that I think come from my feet flattening out when I push hard off the balls of them.

I try to mash my heel into the back and lace the heck out of the top three eyelets to combat this, and while it helps some, it also succeeds in giving me a nice pressure rash on my ankles from the tongue pressing into my sock.

So my question is does this sound like a problem that could be addressed with a good pair of insoles that give me good arch support and make my foot "taller" so it doesn't lift off the footbed, or should I go looking for another pair of skates?

ETA: The 1Ks are probably 4-5 years old now and have a good four years of once-a-week hockey in them (now going to 2-3 times a week with a new job and new town). I guess the skates themselves could just be getting old and losing some of their shape...

Last edited by Kritter471: 09-15-2012 at 12:49 AM.
Old
09-15-2012, 09:35 AM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
Okay, I'm having a little bit of a problem with my skates, so I'm coming here to see if it's a fit thing that could be fixed with insoles or if I'm in the market for a new pair of skates.

I measured a 5.5EE when I first sized, but I comfortably wear a 6D as well with my toe just barely brushing the toecap while standing. I bought an ultra-cheap but new pair of Reebok 1Ks because at the time I was playing 3-4 times a month an still just learning.

Now I'm definitely a better skater, though my outside edges and I still have a fleeting relationship. But I've noticed (and a coach I work with has noticed) that my blades skitter/chatter instead of glide at time, especially skating backwards. I can also feel my right heel getting some lift in the boot. It doesn't move forward, but it comes up a quarter or a half inch. I also have a fairly high arch, and I get occasional foot cramps (especially going backwards) that I think come from my feet flattening out when I push hard off the balls of them.

I try to mash my heel into the back and lace the heck out of the top three eyelets to combat this, and while it helps some, it also succeeds in giving me a nice pressure rash on my ankles from the tongue pressing into my sock.

So my question is does this sound like a problem that could be addressed with a good pair of insoles that give me good arch support and make my foot "taller" so it doesn't lift off the footbed, or should I go looking for another pair of skates?

ETA: The 1Ks are probably 4-5 years old now and have a good four years of once-a-week hockey in them (now going to 2-3 times a week with a new job and new town). I guess the skates themselves could just be getting old and losing some of their shape...
insoles, like superfeet, will definitely help with your arch issue. but, in my experience, there's nothing that will help with the heel lift. considering how much use you've gotten out of your skates and how long you've had them for, particularly for an entry-level boot, sounds like you're due for a new pair regardless.
in the future, you may want to look into the supreme line as reeboks generally tend to be wider in the heel and flatter in the arch area.

Old
09-15-2012, 07:28 PM
Kritter471

Thanks for the advice. I was afraid it would come down to a new pair of skates.

Are the Supreme's wide in the forefoot? I've got a wide front half of my foot and a narrow, girly heel. I murdered my feet in a pair of CCMs before I got the 1Ks.

I guess I'll wait until my credit cards roll over and go hit up my local shops to explore new options. I hate the idea of having to cycle through all the boots again to find the right taste (because I am nothing if not a creature of habit), but I live in an area now with several shops that I trust at least.

Old
09-15-2012, 09:13 PM
thedonger

i've only tried on one75's from a few years back and last year's one100's. they both seemed to fit slightly narrower in the forefoot than reeboks but just as deep for me. both supremes were narrower in the heel pocket and had a higher arch than the reeboks i've tried on.

Old
09-16-2012, 12:07 AM
AIREAYE

Skates don't have arches built into their fit characteristics. Get an aftermarket footbed/insert for that. Don't go into a new fitting expecting certain skates to be better for certain arch types.

Old
09-16-2012, 12:26 AM
Kritter471

Will the aftermarket footbeds make the skate fit differently (i.e., should I buy those first and take them with me when skate shopping)?

ETA: Also, do you agree that it sounds like time for a new pair? I can swing it in the near future if that heel lock issue isn't going to be fixed by the footbeds, but I'm a cheapskate at heart .

Old
09-16-2012, 03:28 AM
lokomotiv15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Yeah. I've used my One70s for a bit over a year... But boy are they wrecked by now. I've been on the ice at least 4-5 times per week for a year straight. The linings on the side are coming off, the blade holders are dented, cut to hell. I'll admit I haven't been paying a lot of attention to maintaining my skates before, but it's seen quite a bit of damage over this last year or so.

Either way, I'm looking to buy a new pair because I'm headed to Asia for at least a year or more without going back to North America. Thus, I want to get a pair now as hockey equipment is scarce and overpriced in Asia. I'm trying to decide between the One100 at $600 or the Matrix at $450. I'm leaning towards the former at the moment.

Any thoughts?
If you can find the one100s, jump on them. Exact same skate as the one95 but lighter and at a lower price point. Great hydrophobic int lining, unreal protection and if you have a "supreme foot", theyre the perfect fit.

Old
09-16-2012, 09:14 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
Will the aftermarket footbeds make the skate fit differently (i.e., should I buy those first and take them with me when skate shopping)?

ETA: Also, do you agree that it sounds like time for a new pair? I can swing it in the near future if that heel lock issue isn't going to be fixed by the footbeds, but I'm a cheapskate at heart .
Well, if the skates fit properly to start, they won't suddenly not fit after you put the footbeds in. If you want to consider that, then it would definitely be better to bring the footbeds to be included in the fitting process and baking process.

See if you can snag a pair of Superfeet, but no footbed is going to fix heel lift. Footbeds alter what happens when you apply downwards force through the leg/foot due to the positioning of your foot. Heel lift is the other direction (up).

I would agree on the possibility of new skates. Try on different models to find the proper fit!

Old
09-20-2012, 12:03 PM
TieClark

I'm pretty good with sticks and most equipment but I haven't bought new skates in years (so long that my parents paid for them meaning I just took whatever I was given) so I'm a bit lost with this. I'm pretty good... played rep my entire life and I'm playing with pretty good competition but at the same time it's just for fun once a week so I don't need anything special. I was looking at the lower end supremes or the rbk pumps. Any difference between them? How big of a gap is the one60's to the one40's? I'm currently using old vapors but the blade is pretty much gone and the toe is all torn up so I'm due for new skates

Old
09-20-2012, 07:27 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
I'm pretty good with sticks and most equipment but I haven't bought new skates in years (so long that my parents paid for them meaning I just took whatever I was given) so I'm a bit lost with this. I'm pretty good... played rep my entire life and I'm playing with pretty good competition but at the same time it's just for fun once a week so I don't need anything special. I was looking at the lower end supremes or the rbk pumps. Any difference between them? How big of a gap is the one60's to the one40's? I'm currently using old vapors but the blade is pretty much gone and the toe is all torn up so I'm due for new skates
That's tough, because that level of skate is less than ideal for your level of ability, even though you only play once a week. If you opt for too low of a pricepoint, that once-a-week experience probably would not be as fun if you were to go mid-end for example. That is up to you to decide and evaluate.

The current Reebok pricepoints, imo are better than previous years'. Try on both fits and see what you like.

I would classify the One40 as a better rec level skate and a serviceable house league level skate, depending on weight class. I assume you have a discount? In any case, try looking at One60-One70 and the respective pricepoints in Reebok (I believe 12K and White K)

Old
09-21-2012, 12:08 PM
TieClark

Is the difference that big between the one40's and one60's? I don't get a discount, no skates at my work which is why I'm lost with skates.

Old
09-21-2012, 09:05 PM
AIREAYE

I would say so for someone of your skill level.

Old
09-21-2012, 09:39 PM
Trl3789

vCash: 219
So quick question/issue I would love some advice on. I've been skating since about early April in a pair of one.5's and they've been great. The only issue is that my feet are slightly different sizes. I've been wearing an extra sock on my right foot, which makes the heel lock much better. As of late though, I think I'm getting what seems like the start of lace bite (a little soreness, but not really noticeable unless I'm paying attention). Is there anything I should/can do with my skates other than tie them looser? I got a lace bite prevention pad, which I plan on wearing, I'm just not trying to take any chances if I don't have to. Thanks!

Old
09-21-2012, 09:50 PM
AIREAYE

Not too many options for that other than giving the pad a shot. The tongue breaks down eventually. Maybe try wider laces like this:
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/elite-ho...wide-pink.html

Or Oval laces like this:
http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=EPOLW

Or a combo of both

Old
09-21-2012, 10:12 PM
Trl3789

vCash: 219
Thanks, figured I'd at least ask

Old
09-22-2012, 08:53 PM
HiEverybody

Numb Heels

Got a new pair of skates, felt good in the store. Baked them in the store, and then the felt great! Used them at a public session earlier today for the first time, and after about the first hour, my heels started to go numb. Is this a fit issue, or something that will work itself out after a few more sessions?

Old
09-22-2012, 09:29 PM
AIREAYE

Do you wear thin socks or athletic socks? Try giving the skates a few more sessions; if they still feel slightly off, go for a re-bake and make sure to bang in your heel to the back.

Old
09-23-2012, 09:10 AM
wingfan

Looking for a bit of help here. Right now I'm skating Bauer Supreme 8090's that I've had for about 7 years. I love the skate, Supreme's have always held up very well, much better than Vapor's or any pair of CCM or Easton skate I ever had, and I love the classic black boot look. I've always been a huge fan of the Supreme line, but I've been hesitant to touch anything TotalOne. I've been looking at the Nexus 800, how is that going to compare to something like the Supreme's of old?

Old
09-23-2012, 09:39 AM
AIREAYE

Good question, the Nexus line is a cross between the old 8090s and the previous Flexlites. A good place to start trying and don't rule out the other skates either until you've tried them.

Old
09-23-2012, 02:31 PM
RoninNYR

I've had enough of either being in excruciating pain or my foot being sideways in my boot 5 minutes into warmups.

Bauer APX vs Total one NRG

irrespective of skate fit which skate would suit someone who:
1. makes long powerful strides and sharp turns at high speed.
2. Needs a very durable skate, because I am a heavier player (lean) that puts a ton of stress to the skate.

I'm not really a "shifty" player, but i have very strong skating with highliths on: power, balance and top end speed/top end pivoting.

I need a top of the line skate because my crappy x4.0 broke down in less than a year.

Any suggestions?

Old
09-23-2012, 05:28 PM
AIREAYE

Get the top-end skate (or even one below the top) that fits the best. The higher end a skate is, the generally more durable it is.

Closed Thread