HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

Lance Armstrong will admit to doping (1/11 report)

Old
08-23-2012, 09:23 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Lance Armstrong will admit to doping (1/11 report)

http://espn.go.com/olympics/cycling/...cycling-career

So, whatever this is, he's going to fall on the sword and attempt let the court of public opinion to outdo the actual courts. Someone told me he said this weeks ago, but for some reason, it's sort of breaking and he's releasing statements.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 09:47 PM
Francesa
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
He was one of the most vehement deniers of any drug use at all. He said, you can test me, I've been tested so many times before, I'm clean. And then he just gives up like this, when his legacy is potentially at stake? He won't fight back?

An innocent man would fight until the end. He clearly did it.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 09:57 PM
peate

I'm afraid the truth will never be known. Only he knows and there are so many contradicting stories it's almost impossible to come to a conclusion. Personally, I admire his accomplishments and courage and if they do strip him of his Tour de France titles on unsubstantiated evidence, it'll be a black day in cycling. Besides, ya gotta love the guy for doing Sheryl Crow and Kate Hudson.

peate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 10:03 PM
Francesa
Global Moderator

If it is unsubstantiated, why did he stop challenging? If you are truly innocent, why do you stop "because you are tired of all the accusations". You fight until you can fight no more, if you're innocent. If someone accused me of cheating, I'd fight till the end. He still had support. This is implicitly saying, I give up, I did it, I'm a fraud.

Old
08-23-2012, 10:08 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
If he beat the USADA, who else would be in his way? If he just wants it go away and let whatever be be, then it would be good to do it before you get found out. Accept the consequences and hope they don't follow through and find out that he did it, assuming he did. Regardless, he's doing it in a sport that only gets attention when dirt is uncovered, which seems like for anyone is a matter of when and not if.

I know Evilo is going to have a catharsis in this thread when he sees it

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 10:08 PM
PlagerBros*

While I do think he doped I think he knows that the USADA process is set up to find guilt, no matter what. At this point it does him no good to continue the process, regardless of his guilt or innocence. By walking away the UCI and ASO will likely allow him to keep his titles (like Riis, Pantani and Ullrich) and his sponsors and the cancer community will have a way to continue with him.

PlagerBros* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 10:10 PM
go_leafs_go02

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
If it is unsubstantiated, why did he stop challenging? If you are truly innocent, why do you stop "because you are tired of all the accusations". You fight until you can fight no more, if you're innocent. If someone accused me of cheating, I'd fight till the end. He still had support. This is implicitly saying, I give up, I did it, I'm a fraud.
it was taking up too much of his personal time, he wanted to invest that time into his personal charity, and got sick of dealing with it.

In some ways, I can't blame him.

go_leafs_go02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 10:11 PM
Francesa
Global Moderator

He's done.

http://twitter.com/slmandel/statuses/238835489036173314
Quote:
RT @AP: BREAKING: USADA to strip Lance Armstrong of 7 Tour de France titles, ban him from cycling for life.
Everything he worked so hard for is gone. He's a sham.

Old
08-23-2012, 10:17 PM
PlagerBros*

Quote:
He's done.

http://twitter.com/slmandel/statuses/238835489036173314

Everything he worked so hard for is gone. He's a sham.
1) USADA can say all they want, but in the end it is the UCI and ASO who decide if he keeps his Tour titles. See; Riis, Bjarne

2) He is a sham for knowing the process is rigged and there is no point continuing?

Old
08-23-2012, 10:21 PM
Francesa
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChChChChimo View Post
1) USADA can say all they want, but in the end it is the UCI and ASO who decide if he keeps his Tour titles. See; Riis, Bjarne

2) He is a sham for knowing the process is rigged and there is no point continuing?
He's a sham for cheating his way through Tour titles and pretending he didn't. He was as slick as they came. "I didn't do anything wrong! I'm clean! I've been tested so many times!"

If you're going to vehemently deny these allegations, then at least don't lie about it. Because it just makes you look silly. Others came clean. Lance never did. His ego was too big for him to confess to any wrongdoing.

Old
08-23-2012, 10:25 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
He's been fighting these allegations since 1999. After 14 years of this crap, I don't blame him for saying to hell with it, regardless of his innocence.

08-23-2012, 10:29 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
He's a sham for cheating his way through Tour titles and pretending he didn't. He was as slick as they came. "I didn't do anything wrong! I'm clean! I've been tested so many times!"

If you're going to vehemently deny these allegations, then at least don't lie about it. Because it just makes you look silly. Others came clean. Lance never did. His ego was too big for him to confess to any wrongdoing.
This whole process is baffling, to put it mildly. Supposedly they had test from a couple years ago proving he was guilty of cheating. Why not use them then?
And seriously, this is a criminal offence? Apparently he won't go to jail as long as his donors get paid back. I think everyone cheats in these things anyways. Some are just better at it than others.

octopi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 10:29 PM
PlagerBros*

Quote:

So he is a sham because he cheated other cheaters or because you believed in him, don't understand sport at the highest levels and are now being emotional?

Old
08-23-2012, 10:32 PM
Francesa
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChChChChimo View Post
So he is a sham because he cheated other cheaters or because you believed in him, don't understand sport at the highest levels and are now being emotional?
He's a sham because he used drugs to win 7 straight Tours

allegedly

Old
08-23-2012, 10:37 PM
PlagerBros*

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
This whole process is baffling, to put it mildly. Supposedly they had test from a couple years ago proving he was guilty of cheating. Why not use them then?
And seriously, this is a criminal offence? Apparently he won't go to jail as long as his donors get paid back. I think everyone cheats in these things anyways. Some are just better at it than others.
I think you are mixing up Armstrong choosing not to deal with this anymore and Landis being told he has to pay back donors to his "Floyd Fairness Fund" or go to jail.

Old
08-23-2012, 11:14 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Good for him.

Brock Anton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 11:18 PM
Francesa
Global Moderator

Lance would destroy the careers of people who dared to even imply he was cheating. He viciously protected copyright of his term "Livestrong". He was a bully.

Funny how the bully now has no more fight left in him. He did a lot of good for cancer research, and you can't deny that. I've read on a lot of forums today inspirational stories of people he has inspired. In that aspect, he was a great man. But he was also a vindictive and bitter individual who frequently denied allegations and destroyed reputations of those challenging his assertions. He made threats whenever people would even imply he was cheating, and they had to back off. For a guy who had so much zeal in destroying and verbally abusing those who dared to question his accomplishments, he feebly rode off into the sunset, today, his legacy in question.

ChChChChimo, it's well known everyone was cheating. But no one was as adamant at innocence as Armstrong. Nobody. That's why it's so surprising that he just gave up.

Old
08-23-2012, 11:24 PM
Francesa
Global Moderator

http://twitter.com/andylevy/statuses/238854082855591936
Quote:
"I guess it's all downhill from here" - Lance Armstrong, trying to put a positive spin on things

Old
08-23-2012, 11:29 PM
Auguste Escoffier

If he has passed "hundreds and hundreds" of tests, what case does the USADA have against him? I do not understand.

Auguste Escoffier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 11:30 PM
Francesa
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auguste Escoffier View Post
If he has passed "hundreds and hundreds" of tests, what case does the USADA have against him? I do not understand.
http://twitter.com/SIDavidEpstein/st...26327287947264
Quote:
Lance Armstrong will likely be stripped of 7 Tour titles. from last year, SI feature on evidence of doping sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/

Old
08-23-2012, 11:47 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Lance would destroy the careers of people who dared to even imply he was cheating. He viciously protected copyright of his term "Livestrong". He was a bully.

Funny how the bully now has no more fight left in him. He did a lot of good for cancer research, and you can't deny that. I've read on a lot of forums today inspirational stories of people he has inspired. In that aspect, he was a great man. But he was also a vindictive and bitter individual who frequently denied allegations and destroyed reputations of those challenging his assertions. He made threats whenever people would even imply he was cheating, and they had to back off. For a guy who had so much zeal in destroying and verbally abusing those who dared to question his accomplishments, he feebly rode off into the sunset, today, his legacy in question.

ChChChChimo, it's well known everyone was cheating. But no one was as adamant at innocence as Armstrong. Nobody. That's why it's so surprising that he just gave up.
It's almost like noone is 100% good or 100% evil. Even people who do bad things have usually also done good things or have good qualities. And vice versa. That said, cancer charity is one of the more riveting causes on the planet. Being involved with them might be something to because you're a wonderful person, but it's also a public image thing for someone in the public eye.

octopi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 11:49 PM
jaems

Disappointing.

But not wanting to deal with a witchhunt shouldn't allude to guilt.

jaems is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 11:59 PM
Swervin81
aka LeafsSharksBoy

I'm betting the whole case was affecting his family and he was probably like "**** it, this has gone on for too long with minimal progress and it's not worth having my wife and kids suffer."

Swervin81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 12:06 AM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

I don't know man. Hopefully the truth comes out

MJB Devils23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 12:38 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

I admire the guy for beating cancer, but it was always suspicious and he's basically a d**k for shunning the Italian cyclist who spoke out on doping.

Like someone already said, he likely got some credit due to his medication, but how do you go from a mediocre athlete pre-treatment to an untouchable force who wins 7 in a row post-treatment, with an expanded medication list?

The thing that irks me the most about him though, like I said, is him basically being the head of the little clycling dope mafia, and destroying the guys who spoke out on it.

Corto is online now   Reply With Quote