HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If the NHL locks out

Old
08-23-2012, 12:31 PM
29dryden29

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Bettman was asked about the damage a lock out could do.

Mark Masters ‏@markhmasters
Bettman on damage lockout could do: 'We recovered last time bc we have the world's greatest fans'

Yeah maybe the league can recover again just in time for the next lock out...
Yet people still support Buttman for who knows what reason.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 01:18 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
I guess the revenues. They keep going up.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 01:26 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
He is an employee of the BoG, not the other way around. If he were doing things that the BoG did not want, he would not have a job. Calling him names is like blaming the speakers for a bad song when the blame truly lies elsewhere.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 01:28 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Personally, I think he needs to keep his mouth shut about a lock out if he doesn't want to appear to be essentially welcoming one. If I'm a representative of the NHLPA and there is a lockout I use all of Bettman's comments against him. It's like he is trying to use the threat of a lockout as leverage when, in reality, he is giving leverage to the PA. After all, if there is a lock out it's easy to say "owners lock out, not players" and practically absolve your union of any wrongdoing in the eyes of casual fans.

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 01:31 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
Sigh, I really dunno what to do.

Wife and I are heading to Florida in October because she has a huge event to attend in Ft. Lauderdale.

We figure, as long as we're flying halfway around the world for just a few days might as well make it a few weeks and see a few other places on our way there.

Wife asks me preference number one: Nashville! Then I can FINALLY see a Predators game live and in person and meet some of ya'll in the process!

Then, sigh... not sure if there will be any games to see because of the possibility of a lockout.

Get it figured out and avoid the lockout so I can finally see a game for ****s sake!
You can still come to Nashville and meet up with folks. Maybe we can find a place to gather and watch memorable Preds games

Old
08-23-2012, 01:31 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
He is an employee of the BoG, not the other way around. If he were doing things that the BoG did not want, he would not have a job. Calling him names is like blaming the speakers for a bad song when the blame truly lies elsewhere.
Can you honestly say that the owners and BOG sit down together and come up with all of the things they need and then pass it to Bozo for him to take to the PA etc? I have a feeling it is the weasel and Daily that put the proposals togther and take it to the 30 owners and I highly doubt they have all the time to try and sit togeher and prepare this stuff. Ths IMHO means the issue lies with the weasel.

Old
08-23-2012, 01:32 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Yes, the owners absolutely get together and decide on what the new CBA needs to address. Why wouldn't they, and why is that a hard thing to believe? It isn't like the owners have to sit down by themselves and hammer this stuff out. I would imagine they hire staffs of lawyers who are experienced in CBA negotiations to do a lot of the work.

Old
08-23-2012, 01:39 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Yes, the owners absolutely get together and decide on what the new CBA needs to address. Why wouldn't they, and why is that a hard thing to believe? It isn't like the owners have to sit down by themselves and hammer this stuff out. I would imagine they hire staffs of lawyers who are experienced in CBA negotiations to do a lot of the work.
Which is what the weasel has a background in he was a labour lawyer I do believe. I doubt the owners all get together that often like you said they have staff members to do this and that is what the weasel takes care of then it gets presented to the owners I would be willing to put money on it.

Old
08-23-2012, 02:01 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Can you honestly say that the owners and BOG sit down together and come up with all of the things they need and then pass it to Bozo for him to take to the PA etc? I have a feeling it is the weasel and Daily that put the proposals togther and take it to the 30 owners and I highly doubt they have all the time to try and sit togeher and prepare this stuff. Ths IMHO means the issue lies with the weasel.
So in your world the employees tell the boss what to do? The inmates run the asylum? Interesting.

Old
08-23-2012, 02:40 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
So in your world the employees tell the boss what to do? The inmates run the asylum? Interesting.
I am saying they hired the weasel because of his background. I am sure they are comfortable with him putting together the proposals for the negotiations he would have it sent to them they look it over and say yay or nay what is so difficult to understand there.

Old
08-23-2012, 03:59 PM
deanwormer

Quote:
He's Canadian - yes, that is how it works!

deanwormer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 04:11 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
I am saying they hired the weasel because of his background. I am sure they are comfortable with him putting together the proposals for the negotiations he would have it sent to them they look it over and say yay or nay what is so difficult to understand there.
But you're acting as if the owners never even give any input before a proposal is drafted. For the most part NHL owners are shrewd businessmen. Do you truly believe they are all comfortable with allowing the commissioner, a commissioner who has been at the helm for two lockouts no less, simply getting his own staff together to draft a proposal without giving any input at all? Do you honesty think they just sit around waiting to get a fax from Bettman with a proposal, and just hope that he includes the things they are wishing for? That sounds less like a sports league commissioner's job, and more like a job for Santa Claus.

Old
08-23-2012, 04:39 PM
predseth

Yes, the 30 governers have a significant say, but Bettman has by far the most power. His email address is gbettman@nhl.com. I wrote an email, and I encourage all of you to do the same.

Mr. Bettman,

While I have been a fan of yours from the onset of my following of the Nashville Predators and the support you showed our team during the gut-wrenching summer of 2007, I had to bring up my concerns with the current negotiations between the league and the NHLPA. In short, a lockout of the 2012-2013 season would be nothing short of disastrous for your game. While it is true that the league came back better than ever from the lockout of the 04-05 season, there will not be a similar return of fans should there be another. In this age where information is spread at light-speed through a multitude of avenues, it will be difficult to conceal the driving force for a lockout this year: greed. In 2004, the game was broken. Clutch, grab, trap, no salary cap, no trapezoid, no two-line passes, etc. The 04-05 lockout was a necessary evil for the greater good of the game. The evil still had its consequences. While I wasn't as aware of the league as a whole at the time, I can tell you its effect on the Nashville market. The momentum gained from making the playoffs the season before ceased. Ticket prices plummeted to 1998 levels. Worst of all, the casual fans' attentions shifted. The Titans, SEC football, and even High School sports took over the news from the Preds. Fortunately, the fans did eventually return as a result of the improvements made. The game was better; every team had a chance to win on any given night as a result of the new salary cap structure. The season is truly year-around now; players battle on the ice from September to June and front offices over the phones in-between. The game is in a great place now, and there is no "greater good" to hang your hat on. Should you continue to bicker over percentage points and inevitably "win" by forcing the players into a deal that undervalues their contribution to the sport, you will gain a disproportional number of empty seats. Hardcore fans will still be there and some kids will still choose to spend their birthdays at their local arena, but you will lose what has made the biggest difference. Our recent financial improvement in Nashville has been due in large part to hockey's equivalent of evangelists: PASSIONATE people who take PRIDE in spreading the word about hockey to co-workers, fellow students, and complete strangers. Mr. Bettman, if you and the 30 owners you represent decide to take the low road and fight solely for your bottom line, it will come at a steep price. In 2004, you fixed the game and have since grown up alongside an infant network (the only one that would take you in). Don't make this about the money; Fans are fans until they aren't.

predseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 04:47 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by predseth View Post
Yes, the 30 governers have a significant say, but Bettman has by far the most power.
The governors set Bettman's priorities and establish the parameters he is to work within. If he fails to work within those parameters, they can fire him at anytime. He is nothing more than the face ... the spokesman. He doesn't set the objectives for his bosses.

Last edited by 101st_fan: 08-23-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old
08-23-2012, 05:15 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
The governors set Bettman's priorities and establish the parameters he is to work within. If he fails to work within those parameters, they can fire him at anytime. He is nothing more than the face ... the spokesman. He doesn't set the objectives for his bosses.
Just to back this up a bit:

Quote:
”6.1 Office of Commissioner, Election and Term of Office The League shall employ a Commissioner selected by the Board of Governors. The Commissioner shall serve as the Chief Executive Officer of the League and is charged with protecting the integrity of the game of professional hockey and preserving public confidence in the League. The Board of Governors shall determine the term of office and compensation of the Commissioner. The Commissioner shall be elected a majority of the Governors present and voting at a League meeting at which a quorum was present when it was convened.“

Old
08-23-2012, 05:25 PM
predfan98

I don't know what people who dump on bettman consistenly want. Just to complain I guess.
What should he say when he is involved in high level negotiations with a union? "well, we're afraid of losing fans, and it's not fair to the players, so lets all just roll over and give them what they want".... Please.... get a grip

He's doing high level negotiations for the league and owners.... No one is thinking about the fans, except as revenue...... not the players, and not the owners... And it is particularly ironic to read tweets from agents about the "unfairness" of the nhl's position.. Do we think they have a vested interest..... absolutely!!

I think some people think Bettman is responsible for all evil in the world.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 05:41 PM
Firestorm

If the NHL locks out, how much money do we lose?

Last edited by Firestorm: 08-23-2012 at 10:26 PM.
Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 05:54 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Impossible to say really. We'd be on the hook for Weber's bonus money. Salary wouldn't be paid, though. The Flames sent out a memo to staffers informing them of pay cuts if there is a lock out. I would imagine that isn't abnormal among NHL teams. I'm not sure what operational costs of the arena would be without a hockey team playing. I mean, you can't just shut the building down entirely.

FWIW, the Swedish Elite League said it won't allow short term deals for NHL players if there is a lock out. There goes one option to make money on the side.

Old
08-23-2012, 06:10 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
FWIW, the Swedish Elite League said it won't allow short term deals for NHL players if there is a lock out. There goes one option to make money on the side.
I hope that Europe keeps them out this time, not only would it help speed up negotiations here, but it's also completely unfair to the regulars over there who aren't making much to begin with and now they lose a paycheck for an NHL player who should have enough to live comfortable for a while without a paycheck.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 10:08 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
If the NHL locks out, how come money do we lose?
Habla Ingles ?

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 11:04 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
You can still come to Nashville and meet up with folks. Maybe we can find a place to gather and watch memorable Preds games
Yeah that's true, just still holding out hope there will be a season and could see a game.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 11:50 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
You guys should all take a trip up to Milwaukee to check out the future Preds and then hit the bars.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 12:17 AM
29dryden29

Quote:
But you're acting as if the owners never even give any input before a proposal is drafted. For the most part NHL owners are shrewd businessmen. Do you truly believe they are all comfortable with allowing the commissioner, a commissioner who has been at the helm for two lockouts no less, simply getting his own staff together to draft a proposal without giving any input at all? Do you honesty think they just sit around waiting to get a fax from Bettman with a proposal, and just hope that he includes the things they are wishing for? That sounds less like a sports league commissioner's job, and more like a job for Santa Claus.
I can honestly say that the owners do give input but I think they let the weasel have way more power and say as long as he is working to get them the most money he can.

Old
08-24-2012, 12:54 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
You guys should all take a trip up to Milwaukee to check out the future Preds and then hit the bars.
Already have two trips picked out. Just need to decide which one to do...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 04:54 AM
gratefulpred
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
Last time I hit the bars in Milwaukee we closed Wolski's and my buddy met his future wife there. (he still secretly curses that fateful evening)

Guess I could see if they want to catch a game since they is where they settled!

gratefulpred is offline   Reply With Quote