CFL players in Canton Pro football hall of fame

Old
08-23-2012, 02:27 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsBtn View Post
The NFL is definitely better then 4-5 years ago when it was unwatchable but they should really pick up some CFL rules like having a final play at the end of a quarter even if the clock runs to zero. And having stop time in the last three minutes.
No thanks. Having the rules stop the clock for you ruins the advantage teams with a good game/clock management QB have. It's a skill that separates good teams from bad. It takes a special type of player to methodically walk his team 80 yards down field with 2 minutes left in a game, no time outs, and then score the game winning touchdown. If they had the clock stopping automatically, it would be BORING. The reason a game winning drive like that is exciting is because you're not only fighting the other team, but also the clock. It would be a huge loss to take that away.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 03:05 PM
RustyBruins72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
Do high school kids in Canada play NFL or CFL rules?
Hi Kate,

The kids here play canadian rules.

They have other versions for smaller towns where it's 6 or 9 man versions, but it's all the canadian 3-down rules.

RustyBruins72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 03:12 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyBruins72 View Post
Hi Kate,

The kids here play canadian rules.

They have other versions for smaller towns where it's 6 or 9 man versions, but it's all the canadian 3-down rules.
Thanks!

How popular is football up there as a youth/high school sport? Obviously hockey is #1, but curious as to how the sport does overall.

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 03:52 PM
Bruins4Lifer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks!

How popular is football up there as a youth/high school sport? Obviously hockey is #1, but curious as to how the sport does overall.
It's pretty popular. More so in Saskatchewan and Quebec than the rest of the country though. Speaking for Saskatchewan, I'd say it's #1 here easily (not counting hockey, as it's not a HS sport).

Bruins4Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 04:57 PM
RustyBruins72

Quote:
Thanks!

I agree with the other post. It's pretty popular.

Funny thing is Kate. We don't have high school hockey teams here. Winter sports teams for high school are basketball, volleyball and curling.

Most small town school have a team, whether is 6 man or 9 man football. And some of those kids do transition to Junior football (After high school but not college) or College football.

Old
08-23-2012, 04:58 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Hold the phone.

What do you mean there is no high school hockey!? Does everyone play in town leagues instead? This intrigues me.

Old
08-23-2012, 05:03 PM
DoubleAAAA

Quote:
Hold the phone.

What do you mean there is no high school hockey!? Does everyone play in town leagues instead? This intrigues me.
Correct. Cities are divided into regions, each with a team (although the geographic limitations aren't always hard and fast, at least not when I grew up). Rural towns will have their own teams and will play in leagues with other towns in the area.

DoubleAAAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 05:20 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBob View Post
Could not possibly disagree any more with this statement. Most CFL fans actually prefer the NFL while most NFL fans could not be bothered with the CFL. Personally - I would pass on a CFL game if they were playing it on my front lawn.
No they don't.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 05:32 PM
RustyBruins72

Quote:
Hold the phone.

in Saskatoon the players play in their zones until about 15 or 16. Once graduating from Bantam, they'd move on to Midget. There are 2 triple A teams in saskatoon and about 12 or 13 more in the province. From there you have "Junior Hockey" Junior B which is mostly midget AA players (again about 12 teams in the province) including 2 or 3 in Saskatoon. Then you have Junior A (SJHL) which is players not good enough for the WHL and players who want to play NCAA. (WHL players aren't allowed to play NCAA because the NCAA believe the $60 a week the players get is them being "paid".) There are about 10 teams in the SJHL in Saskatchewan, none in Saskatoon. Then you have the Major Junior hockey. WHL. We have 1 team in Saskatoon and 4 others in Saskatchewan. While we don't have high school teams, there are lots of other teams to play for. Probably as much as teams in your world Kate.

Old
08-23-2012, 05:34 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
in Saskatoon the players play in their zones until about 15 or 16. Once graduating from Bantam, they'd move on to Midget. There are 2 triple A teams in saskatoon and about 12 or 13 more in the province. From there you have "Junior Hockey" Junior B which is mostly midget AA players (again about 12 teams in the province) including 2 or 3 in Saskatoon. Then you have Junior A (SJHL) which is players not good enough for the WHL and players who want to play NCAA. (WHL players aren't allowed to play NCAA because the NCAA believe the $60 a week the players get is them being "paid".) There are about 10 teams in the SJHL in Saskatchewan, none in Saskatoon. Then you have the Major Junior hockey. WHL. We have 1 team in Saskatoon and 4 others in Saskatchewan. While we don't have high school teams, there are lots of other teams to play for. Probably as much as teams in your world Kate.
I would say you have way more teams than we do here.

Old
08-23-2012, 05:42 PM
RustyBruins72

Quote:
I would say you have way more teams than we do here.
Football has really increased here in terms of when players start playing.

When I was a kid, I didn't play touch football til grade 7 or 8 and never got to play tackle with equipment til grade 9. there was one tackle football team before grade 9 but they only took the best players.

Now, players are playing as young as 8. full gear and everything. We see teams practicing near our house and it's crazy how little they are.

I guess if 8 year olds can drive a dragster, then can play football.

Old
08-23-2012, 05:43 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Football has really increased here in terms of when players start playing.

When I was a kid, I didn't play touch football til grade 7 or 8 and never got to play tackle with equipment til grade 9. there was one tackle football team before grade 9 but they only took the best players.

Now, players are playing as young as 8. full gear and everything. We see teams practicing near our house and it's crazy how little they are.

I guess if 8 year olds can drive a dragster, then can play football.
Sorry, I meant more teams in hockey.

Old
08-23-2012, 05:53 PM
RustyBruins72

Quote:
Sorry, I meant more teams in hockey.
is it friday yet?

Old
08-23-2012, 05:59 PM
BruinsBtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
No thanks. Having the rules stop the clock for you ruins the advantage teams with a good game/clock management QB have. It's a skill that separates good teams from bad. It takes a special type of player to methodically walk his team 80 yards down field with 2 minutes left in a game, no time outs, and then score the game winning touchdown. If they had the clock stopping automatically, it would be BORING. The reason a game winning drive like that is exciting is because you're not only fighting the other team, but also the clock. It would be a huge loss to take that away.
It's an equal skill to run out the clock with two minutes left in the CFL. You need to score a number of first downs and/or play defense.

Taking a knee doesn't take much skill.

I'm bored of hearing the NFL analysts talk about 'when was the right time to call a timeout' and criticizing the coaches.

You can score two touchdowns in the final 3 minutes in the CFL. If you're ahead, you gotta play defense (and keep throwing passes for first downs) until the final horn.

BruinsBtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 06:36 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsBtn View Post
It's an equal skill to run out the clock with two minutes left in the CFL. You need to score a number of first downs and/or play defense.

Taking a knee doesn't take much skill.

I'm bored of hearing the NFL analysts talk about 'when was the right time to call a timeout' and criticizing the coaches.

You can score two touchdowns in the final 3 minutes in the CFL. If you're ahead, you gotta play defense (and keep throwing passes for first downs) until the final horn.
But I'm not talking about running out the clock. I'm talking about managing a running clock while your team is down and in desperate need of a score. That takes a ton of skill, poise, coordination, leadership, and game management. Something that is far easier if the clock is stopped automatically which by it's very nature allows teams to huddle up and get set for each and every play.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 10:35 PM
dafoomie
Eat Mor Chikin

Send a message via AIM to dafoomie
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
But I'm not talking about running out the clock. I'm talking about managing a running clock while your team is down and in desperate need of a score. That takes a ton of skill, poise, coordination, leadership, and game management. Something that is far easier if the clock is stopped automatically which by it's very nature allows teams to huddle up and get set for each and every play.
Absolutely, its a shame that element of the game is missing in the CFL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smack66 View Post
thanks for all the comments. I didnt want this to turn in to an NFL vs CFL. Clearly the NFL has the top players and would be silly to argue otherwise. I guess my point is should someone who dominates, or develops football ( not NFL football but football in general ) be in a Football hall of fame? I would say that football as a whole is on the upswing in Canada and specifically Quebec and some of that is a direct result of the CFL and perhaps star players such as Calvillo. Clearly I'm not comparing his skill level to Manning, Unitas or Montana but what he has done for football awareness as a whole. If the Football Hall of Fame is simply for the best players and builders of the NFL then he doesnt belong. If its truly a football hall of fame then I think he at least gets mentionned.
Thats a different argument, if they want to honor people based on their contributions towards growing the game outside the US, thats fine. But I wouldn't compare their abilities as players, if they could play in the NFL they would. You make more money on an NFL practice squad than in the CFL.

Last edited by dafoomie: 08-23-2012 at 10:44 PM.
dafoomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 10:48 PM
EverettMike

I originally clicked this thread thinking it would be about Warren Moon.

It wasn't.

So even risking Patty's wrath I want to just say this.

The clock running is as responsible for the most exciting endings in NFL history as literally anything.

No one ever says, "You know, The Drive would have been better if the clock stopped automatically," or, "The Catch was okay, but the whole time the clock kept running!"

And Tretiak SHOULD be in the Hockey Hall of Fame. He is on the list for greatest goalies ever and was only not in the NHL because he literally couldn't be. He was still a world class talent.

What is stopping a CFL player from playing in the NFL?

This is the longest I have ever thought or talked about the CFL without Doug Flutie coming up.

EverettMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 11:22 PM
toomanymen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleAAAA View Post
Spoken like a true NFL fan.

I have no idea why NFL fans are so threatened by the CFL. Many CFL fans like the NFL, some prefer NFL, a lot prefer the Canadian game, most can appreciate both. For some reason there's a huge subset of the "NFL Fan" that has a need to complain about the CFL game at every turn.

I just don't get it ... it's not like NHL fans go around moaning about how the Swedish Elite League is Bulls#$%
Well said. While the players in the NFL are the best, the product on the field in terms of entertainment leaves a lot to be desired most weekends. By that I mean if we all looked objectively at the games played each week, and didn't listen, watch or inhale what the networks tell us, we would likely say there are only a few quality games each week. I enjoy the NFL but I don't worship at its marketing church telling me that a Jacksonville v. Cleveland game is exciting. Or that John Madden ever said anything insightful.

Oh. Go Broncos!

toomanymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 11:26 PM
EverettMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanymen View Post
Well said. While the players in the NFL are the best, the product on the field in terms of entertainment leaves a lot to be desired most weekends. By that I mean if we all looked objectively at the games played each week, and didn't listen, watch or inhale what the networks tell us, we would likely say there are only a few quality games each week. I enjoy the NFL but I don't worship at its marketing church telling me that a Jacksonville v. Cleveland game is exciting. Or that John Madden ever said anything insightful.

Oh. Go Broncos!
I literally don't know what you are talking about.

People complain about ****** match-up weekends all the time.

The CFL doesn't have ****** teams play each other sometimes? Happens a lot. They invented gambling to help those. Then they invented fantasy to help even more.

Not sure how bad teams is an indictment on the product. I WATCH MAPLE LEAF GAMES SOMETIMES!

Old
08-23-2012, 11:30 PM
EverettMike

Just looked it up. 18 games with only 8 teams seems like a lot.

6 teams make the playoffs? yeesh.

Old
08-23-2012, 11:44 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
Just looked it up. 18 games with only 8 teams seems like a lot.

6 teams make the playoffs? yeesh.
That means losing teams in the playoffs.

Not as a fluke thing. Every year.

Yeesh indeed.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 01:01 AM
Lobster57
#nofreepasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
That means losing teams in the playoffs.

Not as a fluke thing. Every year.

Yeesh indeed.
It a league who's revenues are driven almost entirely, by the gate. That extra game or two for a struggling team can make a huge difference financially.

Also, it wasn't that long ago that 16 out of 21 teams made the playoffs in the NHL.

Lobster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 01:57 AM
EverettMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster57 View Post
It a league who's revenues are driven almost entirely, by the gate. That extra game or two for a struggling team can make a huge difference financially.

Also, it wasn't that long ago that 16 out of 21 teams made the playoffs in the NHL.
Pretty good reason for the extra games.

16 out of 21 was a joke.

Old
08-24-2012, 08:17 AM
ODAAT

If the CFL is good enuff for Kramer, it`s good enough for me

funny if not typically stereotypical of how Candian`s are often viewed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPOS786qBsI

Growing up in Ottawa, the Roughriders were a team that Dad and I went to see live for years. Is the talent better in the NFL?? Sure it is, but there`s something unique/real about players who (at that time, not so sure about nowadays) would commonly work a '2nd job' once the season ended.

CFL football may seem silly to some, others may laugh it off as just that, a joke with grade C players who couldn`t make it anywhere else. For some players, could be true, I`ve seen an absolute ton of CFL`ers who, IMO (very untrained) could have, if given a chance without the prejudice directed at the CFL, forged a nice NFL career but they didn`t.

CFL players/franchises are notorious for giving back to their communities, and not just the lip service style giving back, they play typically in much smaller cities than in the NFL and there`s a special connection between the players and the fans which makes the CFL special. NFL players are great in the community too

For absolute and pure excitement of a game, CFL football is by far a better provider for my entertainment value, doesn`t mean there`s more skill, but the style that`s played, the rules that are in place, are all set up for more offensive and aggressive play.

I like both leagues, but in the last few years, have found myself being drawn deeper and deeper into my following of the CFL, maybe it`s due to my age, a simple game, smaller ego`s, less influenced by dollars etc....

Does all this mean that the HOF should allow CFL players to be inducted into it????? I`ll be honest, does the committee who votes on this matter even follow the careers of those great CFL`ers to open the door to proper analysis as to whether or not they get in??? I don`t think so but.....

Anthony Calvillo`s CFL numbers

CFL totals

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Calvillo

pretty darn solid, regardless of where he`s played

Last edited by ODAAT: 08-24-2012 at 08:25 AM.
ODAAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 09:03 AM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
is it friday yet?

Now it is!!!

It's ok...yesterday my brain told me it was Friday, but my calendar didn't agree.