HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

League comparison?

Old
08-24-2012, 04:07 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 500
League comparison?

I was hoping someone could answer this for me. I was looking at one of Ottawa's former draft picks and it says he played in the VHL.
It dawned on me that I do not know how it works over there.

If the KHL is the same as the NHL, is the MHL the same as the AHL? What does that make the VHL?

Thanks for the help!

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 04:46 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
I was hoping someone could answer this for me. I was looking at one of Ottawa's former draft picks and it says he played in the VHL.
It dawned on me that I do not know how it works over there.

If the KHL is the same as the NHL, is the MHL the same as the AHL? What does that make the VHL?

Thanks for the help!
not. KHL is NHL, VHL is AHL, MHL is CHL (or one of canadian major jr leagues if you want). Yes, MHL has elder guys than typical junior league, but still is junior league. VHL is developing league as AHL in US/CAN

vorky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 05:05 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
not. KHL is NHL, VHL is AHL, MHL is CHL (or one of canadian major jr leagues if you want). Yes, MHL has elder guys than typical junior league, but still is junior league. VHL is developing league as AHL in US/CAN
Thank you for clearing that up. I assumed MHL was closer seeing reports of player being sent down from KHL then being recalled.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 05:47 AM
Atas2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
Thank you for clearing that up. I assumed MHL was closer seeing reports of player being sent down from KHL then being recalled.
There is a rule now in the KHL by which KHL teams have to suit 2 U20 players for each game. Not the wisest rule if you ask me, but it forces clubs to call up and send down the younger players from th MHL to fulfill that obligation. Basically a KHL franchise has an VHL and an MHL affiliate as well. The MHL affiliation is natural because of the traditional system with franchises having their own youth schools. The VHL are the teams which were mostly financially not strong enough to compete in the KHL. Like the AHL teams they sign affiliation agreements with KHL teams mostly on the regional basis. There are much fewer call ups during the season from the VHL though than betwenn NHL and AHL. The best teams from the VHL hope to get an expansion spot in the KHL. That is mostly decided by their financial back up and facilities which have to meet KHL requirements. HC Donbass from Ukraine will compete in the KHL this coming season after joining the VHL a year ago. So there are some aberations from the NA system, but basically KHL is the big league like the NHL, VHL is like AHL and MHl is a junior league similar to CHL or USHL.

Atas2000 is online now   Reply With Quote