HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
08-22-2012, 10:46 AM
beautician91
Rookie User

vCash: 500
what can we expect for forward lines starting this year. didnt catch alot of regular season games but watched all the cis championship and noticed that a lot of UNB's best players like #79 were not getting a lot of ice time.

Old
08-22-2012, 12:28 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
With the addition of Braes this how the forward ranks now look...

5th year - Campbell

4th year - Todd, Fillier, Culligan

3rd year - MacNeil, Salituro

2nd year - Wudrick, Wiebe, Houde-Caron, Carroll, Nesbitt, MacDougall

1st year - Braes, Critchlow

So 14 quality forwards. I counted Corcoran as a D since it is looking like they will need him more at D than F at this point. Who sits out of that group?? Although they had 16 forwards for the second half last season some of the guys like Lee/Lynes/Salituro weren't getting any ice time...if the Swan/Pridham rumours are true dare I say they will have TOO much depth?? 1-16 would be much, much improved over last season IMO. There would be 4 very solid players sitting every night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautician91 View Post
...noticed that a lot of UNB's best players like #79 were not getting a lot of ice time.
This is a bit of troll comment. I like Nesbitt to, but there is hierarchy, track record and coaches prerogative.

My crack at some lines (this is damn hard to do by the way - who do you sit out).

1) Culligan, MacNeil, Wiebe
2) Nesbitt, Carroll, Critchlow
3) Campbell, Salituro, Todd
4) Braes,Houde-Caron, Fillier

Out: Swan, Pridham, Wudrick, MacDougall

I could see
- Swan in for Campbell
- Pridham in for Fillier
- Wudrick in for Salituro

This is a scary group of talent - all four lines can score - could set an Offensive record (which they might need given the limited Dmen we have).

Old
08-22-2012, 02:13 PM
Archie Jones

The way they finished up the regular season and the AUS playoffs I think the Carroll, Culligan, Wiebe line is a pretty safe bet.

Pridham could basically replace Bailey as 2nd line center with MacNeil and Nesbitt perhaps. Fillier played that right wing position quite often also the last two seasons for a period or so. Swan could also play right wing. My guess MacNeil, Pridham & Nesbitt.

That leaves Fillier, Swan, Campbell, Wudrick, Houde-Caron, MacDougall, Salituro, Todd, Critchlow and Braes to form the final two lines. Pridham and Swan have both earned All Star status in the past so I expect them to be given every chance to play and contribute. The possible number of line combinations becomes quite lengthy so I'll stop with my predictions for the first two lines.

I also wonder if in this mix of forwards we might find the next Alex Aldred or Josh Hepditch.

Old
08-22-2012, 03:11 PM
FreddtFoyle

Different topic. If I understand Double-CornDog-TwitterSpeak correctly, it sounds like UNB has another exhibtion game lined up with the AHL's Portland Pirates.

IIRC, they were supposed to play Portland last year, but the game was cancelled on Portland's end.

Last edited by FreddtFoyle: 08-22-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old
08-22-2012, 03:32 PM
FreddtFoyle

Like Archie, I think the Carroll-Culligan-Wiebe line is probably a lock for the 1st line unless something really changes in training camp.

Fillier has proved his versatility since coming to UNB, so I could Coach putting him in any role after he sorts out the other players. Unless academics get in the way (he is in Engineering) I see him playing every game, somewhere in the lineup.

Rookies at UNB have to earn their ice-time, much like on an NCAA team, so they may suffer some ego-bruising once they've been tested in exhibition games and then discover the press box to start the regular season. Of course injuries to veterans to start the season always create opportunities (and that seems to happen to the V-Reds often ...)

I see Swan on the PP for sure, but I'm not sure where he ends up on regular lines. 3rd maybe? In my mind Pridham is a better two-way player and I again agree with Archie and could see him centring the second line.

Houde-Caron will probably play every game, because he's so consistent. Campbell is streaky offensively and might have to sit a bit. Unless Wudrick shows/grows a bit of grit like MacNeil did he might be having lots more time for social media. As for MacNeil, in my mind he's a lock on the second line.

MacDougall is deceptively good on faceoffs, and certainly uses his size to squeeze guys along the boards. He is very hard to play against, so he'll probably get more ice-time than some of his non-fans believe he deserves.

I see Nesbitt on the second line more than the third. I like Salituro a lot, but he needs to notch points to stay in the line-up as he's just not big enough to be a more "defensive" player on this team. Todd can play on any line, but I think he's destined for perhaps the third line. I just hope he can stay healthy.

Old
08-22-2012, 04:27 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

The first line should definitely be Carroll/Wiebe/Culligan. Anyone know how Wiebe recovered/is recovering from his ankle injury? Todd played well on the first line in place of Wiebe in the game against UQTR at Nationals as well.

MacNeil is almost sure to be somewhere in the top-6 IMO.

If Swan and Pridham are both here I can't imagine them not being in the line-up more often than not...they are proven 20+ point guys in the AUS.

I agree that Fillier (utility type role) and Houde-Caron (4th line C) probably find their way into pretty much every game. They are perfect guys to have on the 4th line.

I also agree about Campbell being very streaky. It seems he always starts out the season well but fades at the end...so maybe some rest in the 2nd half would help him.

I really hope they give both Salituro and Wudrick a good look this season...I think both guys can be very productive if they get the ice-time.

I see Critchlow as a perfect 3rd or 4th line player, at least starting out.

I agree with Archie...I wonder if we will see one of these guys play some D. But I wonder who is best suited for being back there? I don't know if any of them have ever played defence in junior.

Old
08-23-2012, 08:14 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
MacDougall is deceptively good on faceoffs, and certainly uses his size to squeeze guys along the boards. He is very hard to play against, so he'll probably get more ice-time than some of his non-fans believe he deserves.
He is very good on face-offs...I kept track of UNB's face-off numbers over the course of last season (for my own interest and curiosity) and IIRC he was second on the team behind only Bailey in face-off percentage at well over 50%. I expect him and Culligan to be taking most of the important face-offs this season.

Unfortunately season face-off numbers aren't kept track of on the AUS site so people can see, and isn't a particularly "sexy" stat or something a casual observer would notice, but the difference between winning and losing a face-off can be pretty significant. Case in point...against Calgary at Nationals.

Old
08-23-2012, 06:02 PM
SnipeShow91

I wish RMC could have this lengthy debate about lines cause the 5th line would be our first line! Be lucky you have such a strong squad!

Old
08-23-2012, 06:23 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
Different topic. If I understand Double-CornDog-TwitterSpeak correctly, it sounds like UNB has another exhibtion game lined up with the AHL's Portland Pirates.

IIRC, they were supposed to play Portland last year, but the game was cancelled on Portland's end.
The Pirates and UNB (2010-'11) were suppose to play during the Sabres last season in Portland, but they kept all the players in Buffalo during camp so the Pirates were short on players.

I know there has been talk of Portland playing UNB on Oct. 4th, but that had been just talk.

You say that you saw mention of it on twitter?

Old
08-24-2012, 07:14 AM
VRedsRule

Daine Todd most likely candidate to slide back to point. Has practised back there.

Until I see Swan and/or Pridham on ice with UNB, I won't count then into lineup.

Old
08-25-2012, 02:10 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRedsRule View Post
Daine Todd most likely candidate to slide back to point. Has practised back there.
I had heard that...I don't know how I feel about that to be honest...I think I would rather have his shifty-ness up front and closer to the net. But, if they have to put a forward back there I don't know who would be any better. I can't see anyone else being a fit back there for one reason or another.

Old
08-26-2012, 12:17 PM
cishockeyfan

their is no possible way that if pridham and swan are in fact in uniform for UNB that they sit on the bench, they arent just good statisticaly they are great Leaders. Braes will be a Top 6 Forward and a Fan Favorite, Macdougall didnt sit last year and won't this year either Btw this was an inside team issue last year, not outload but amongs the players, I know this for a fact after talking to guys this summer. Daine Todd is likely to play D this year, he will move the puck great but how will his defence be? Id like to see Daine Todd moved back to Center personaly. Anyways Id love the lines to look like the following butinjuries and coaching opinion differ everything. Jordan C was very high on his 5th season but saw pro as his best option this season as the foward lineup got very deep quick over the summer

1) LW-Caroll, C-Culligan, RW-Weibe
2) LW-MacNeil, C-Pridham, RW-Braes
3) LW-Swan, C-Todd, RW-Nesbitt
4) LW-Critchlow, C-Houde-Caron, RW-Wudrick
5) LW-Fillier, C-MacDougall, RW-Campbell
Salituro sorry good player wrong team

Old
08-26-2012, 04:52 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Wiebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
their is no possible way that if pridham and swan are in fact in uniform for UNB that they sit on the bench, they arent just good statisticaly they are great Leaders. Braes will be a Top 6 Forward and a Fan Favorite, Macdougall didnt sit last year and won't this year either Btw this was an inside team issue last year, not outload but amongs the players, I know this for a fact after talking to guys this summer. Daine Todd is likely to play D this year, he will move the puck great but how will his defence be? Id like to see Daine Todd moved back to Center personaly. Anyways Id love the lines to look like the following butinjuries and coaching opinion differ everything. Jordan C was very high on his 5th season but saw pro as his best option this season as the foward lineup got very deep quick over the summer

1) LW-Caroll, C-Culligan, RW-Weibe
2) LW-MacNeil, C-Pridham, RW-Braes
3) LW-Swan, C-Todd, RW-Nesbitt
4) LW-Critchlow, C-Houde-Caron, RW-Wudrick
5) LW-Fillier, C-MacDougall, RW-Campbell
Salituro sorry good player wrong team
T-Mac's ice time, especially Nationals vs Western was a sore spot among many players! In a critical game, in which they needed to get the offense going, he saw the ice way to much in the first and second periods. On another note, Wiebe and Campbell are rumored to be leaving the program?

Old
08-26-2012, 05:07 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
On another note, Wiebe and Campbell are rumored to be leaving the program?
If true...losing Wiebe would be a massive loss.

Old
08-26-2012, 08:03 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Weibe

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
If true...losing Wiebe would be a massive loss.
If true, is he headed pro? or sitting for a year and heading west?

Old
08-26-2012, 08:11 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

It wouldn't surprise me to see him get another pro shot after how he played in the 2nd half last year.

Old
08-26-2012, 10:14 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
On another note, Wiebe and Campbell are rumored to be leaving the program?
I know Campbell has been accepted into the BEd program (heard that from a player on the team) - I just figured if he was on campus, he'd play his last year - especially with a chance to play at Nationals in front of his family & friends in Sask.

It would be shame to lose Wiebe, his numbers were good, but missing Nationals didn't help his stock though.

Old
08-27-2012, 05:03 AM
cishockeyfan

Josh Kidd is presently not listed for classes this semester

Old
08-28-2012, 06:44 AM
HockeySchools

Quote:
T-Mac's ice time, especially Nationals vs Western was a sore spot among many players! In a critical game, in which they needed to get the offense going, he saw the ice way to much in the first and second periods. On another note, Wiebe and Campbell are rumored to be leaving the program?
There's no way Gardiner will keep T-Mac out of the line up. A very strong player (who isn't, on this roster) will be in the stands because of this.

Braes is a top 6 player. 100%. He's a horse, and if he's played in the bottom 6, he's being used poorly.

Pridham should replace Bailey, no problem. But can Swan step in that line up right away? Who will he take out? A vet that worked his bag off for 4-5 years for Gardiner? Will he actually do that?

Old
08-28-2012, 11:17 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but isnt this the last year of MacDougall's 5 year contract extension? I wonder if there has been any talk yet about a new contract. After everything he has done I would have to think the ball is in his court with regards to him staying.

Old
08-28-2012, 12:42 PM
Archie Jones

Hockeyschools, most of the forwards recruited by UNB have top 6 potential because of their Junior history and success. Honestly, it takes a little time for most to adjust to AUS hockey. Very few move into top 6 play right away.

Hopefully, Braes is every bit as good as you say and can help fill the void if Wiebe is not back.

Old
08-28-2012, 01:13 PM
HockeySchools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie Jones View Post
Hockeyschools, most of the forwards recruited by UNB have top 6 potential because of their Junior history and success. Honestly, it takes a little time for most to adjust to AUS hockey. Very few move into top 6 play right away.

Hopefully, Braes is every bit as good as you say and can help fill the void if Wiebe is not back.
I agree with you. I've been around programs long enough to see that it takes some time to adjust. But knowing the players well enough that they have returning and that they're bringing in, he looks like a top 6 fit to me. Especially if Wiebe is not returning. Most rookies need time to adjust to the physicality and speed of the league, and he lacks neither of those. He's built for this league. Great replacement for Wiebe, if it's true he's leaving. Any more news on that?

Old
08-28-2012, 08:41 PM
cishockeyfan

Weibe is enrolled in full time classes at UNB this semester

Old
08-28-2012, 08:42 PM
cishockeyfan

with that said i wonder whats going to happen with the following scenario, the top 4 centers in my mind, are Culligan, Braes, Pridham and Houde-Caron. But you know Macdougall is gonna play at center somewhere

Old
08-28-2012, 09:26 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
Josh Kidd is presently not listed for classes this semester
That would be a huge loss on D.

Closed Thread