HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panthers Lounge the 4th

Closed Thread

Old
08-01-2012, 09:51 AM
Acadmus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Is it mandatory there? Here in Greece it is, and they are trying to make me go next year for 6 months, even though I have dual citizenship.
All depends upon where you live, I believe, so you're likely stuck.

I know they have mandatory conscription in Russia (my brother in law got out of it due to health issues, but at one point they were pulling a Soviet-era trick and showing up and dragging young folks off in the middle of the night if they didn't report), and I'm pretty sure I heard/read that they do in Finland and Sweden too. Not sure where else.

08-03-2012, 08:55 AM
SoupyFIN
#character

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
w00t.. I rarely check this part of our board... didn't know Soupy going to army (or rather that he's so young) Hopefully he get's out with 180 days. I was there for 11 days as my knee blew
Hoping for that too. Don't like the sound of my fellow recruits nor corporals though, saying I'm AUK (corporal school, they have to serve a full year) stuff.

Old
08-03-2012, 10:31 AM
jol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post

I know they have mandatory conscription in Russia (my brother in law got out of it due to health issues, but at one point they were pulling a Soviet-era trick and showing up and dragging young folks off in the middle of the night if they didn't report), and I'm pretty sure I heard/read that they do in Finland and Sweden too. Not sure where else.
Finland has conscription, Sweden moved to professional army, not many countries in Europe do have conscription: Finland, Norway, Denmark, Greece, Austria, Switzerland, Russia and some former soviet states. UK has professional army, but one of its territories, Bermuda has conscription.
USA has Selective Service, so if they need to start draft, it's easy to do.

JOL

Old
08-12-2012, 09:38 PM
Lola
Future Panthers

Mind if I brag a little on my youngest? This is the child who cried for 10 weeks straight, every Saturday, when he was enrolled in the Learn to Skate program at 3 years old. Hockey is FINALLY starting to click for him.

Two weeks ago, he scored his first goal as a Squirt. Last week, he scored the GWG. And this week, he picked up the change. So freakin' proud of that little stinker!

Old
08-12-2012, 11:45 PM
LUUUUUIS
2mins for Panthering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola View Post
Mind if I brag a little on my youngest? This is the child who cried for 10 weeks straight, every Saturday, when he was enrolled in the Learn to Skate program at 3 years old. Hockey is FINALLY starting to click for him.

Two weeks ago, he scored his first goal as a Squirt. Last week, he scored the GWG. And this week, he picked up the change. So freakin' proud of that little stinker!

That's awesome! My son is four years old, we got him some roller skates (the kind you strap to your shoes). He loves them, though he doesn't quite have the hang of it yet. Unfortunately the closest ice skating rink is about two hours away.

Old
08-24-2012, 10:09 AM
SoupyFIN
#character

Rookie no more, got a Private badge to wear now.

Should find out next week if it's 6 or 12 months.

Old
08-24-2012, 10:15 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post

I am getting the same crap here. Men are classified from G1 to G5, with G1 being standard duty, to G5 being dismissed because of health issues. I read online that if you have a heart condition, asthma, flat feet, and some other things, you can get a G5 rating, and not have to go. Well, I had SVT, which is heart related, have asthma, and have flat feet, so I need to figure out the proper paperwork because I got a year delay from the military, and that year ends in five months. Its ridiculous that a 34 year old with these types of conditions, needs to go to the military for six months. Hopefully we can figure something out.

Old
08-24-2012, 11:29 AM
jol

Quote:
I am getting the same crap here. Men are classified from G1 to G5, with G1 being standard duty, to G5 being dismissed because of health issues. I read online that if you have a heart condition, asthma, flat feet, and some other things, you can get a G5 rating, and not have to go. Well, I had SVT, which is heart related, have asthma, and have flat feet, so I need to figure out the proper paperwork because I got a year delay from the military, and that year ends in five months. Its ridiculous that a 34 year old with these types of conditions, needs to go to the military for six months. Hopefully we can figure something out.
In Finland it's almost same except once you hit 30 years, they don't bother you anymore, for example Olli Jokinen was able to avoid service, because of injury related delays.

JOL

Old
08-29-2012, 01:54 PM
SoupyFIN
#character

6 month sentence. 128 mornings left.

Old
09-11-2012, 05:46 PM
Lola
Future Panthers

We've been up here in Kissimmee for the past 5 days taking a much-needed vacation. Anyway, this morning, we went to Magic Kingdom. We're standing in line to the Astro Orbitor, when we notice this family behind us.

It's Martin Brodeur, his brother, his wife, and his little boy!!

We were going to say something to him, but decided not to bother him since he was obviously on vacation with his family. He rode in the rocket right in front of me....as much as I am NOT a fan of his...I gotta say....it was pretty damn cool to see him there. He was in the elevator up/down with us...rubbing shoulders with my Dh! We were joking about the lack of air conditioning in the elevator...highlight of the theme park trip thus far.

Old
09-11-2012, 07:37 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Nice!! Cool story. Have fun while here

09-11-2012, 08:03 PM
Holy Jokinen

Awesome!

You should've cued this up on the nearest smartphone an turned up the volume...

Old
09-20-2012, 06:27 AM
RECsGuy*

Check out the logo for this highshool in the Northwest...

http://whs.wsd.wednet.edu/Faculty/at...letichome.html

(scroll down a bit)

Old
09-25-2012, 09:27 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

I felt like this didn't need it's own thread.

Since there's not much else going on these days with the lockout, I figured I'd bring this to everyone's attention. A co-worker of mine today reminded me about the Wayback Machine. For those who don't know, you can check out many sites all the way back to 1996.

I found these two sites in particular mind blowing:

flpanthers.com from November, 4, 1996 (For you kiddies, this was the Panthers official site in those days):
http://web.archive.org/web/199611041...lpanthers.com/

NHL.com's site from December 22, 1996 (Nice to see Dave Lowry represented on the main page):
http://web.archive.org/web/199612221...//www.nhl.com/

Enjoy!

Old
10-02-2012, 01:00 PM
Acadmus

Out of curiosity I looked at the info on UVM Catamounts men's ice hockey season tickets....

...the waiting list is still over 20 years.

And students can get general admission tickets for free if they show an ID, which explains why there's usually less than 100 tickets on sale for the general public, which sell out within an hour.

Old
10-10-2012, 11:48 PM
Offdapost*
Tetrodotoxin!

http://news.yahoo.com/whoops-florida...003025979.html

Old
10-14-2012, 09:50 AM
jol

Quote:
If you are US citizen, then serving in foreign military might create some issues later on.

JOL

Old
10-21-2012, 04:55 PM
Lola
Future Panthers

Sadly, after weeks of treating our beloved chameleon for a respiratory infection, he passed away on my birthday last week. Necropsy results said he died of pneumonia. Beezer was our favorite cham, and he was a huge hit at the vet's office. His gentle nature, and curiosity toward humans made him a few fans at the vet's office. Their whole office was just as sad as we were to lose him.

The ONE positive that came out of this was finding a vet who specializes in chameleons. We're taking our other two chams in for a 'well visit' next week.

Old
10-21-2012, 07:44 PM
PBPantherfan
Here we go again

Sorry about your chameleon when they get sick they can go down hill so fast it can be hard to save them.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:29 AM
Panthers Rock
Oh...Yeah ;)

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Hockey-related stuff but not worth another thread. Desperate for hockey, my wife and I went to an Orlando Solar Bears game for the ECHL. Gotta say, while it wasn't nearly the same, it was still a fun time and nice to see live hockey again. Plus they won 5-3 with leading scorer (and leading the ECHL right now) Nick Petersen getting a hat trick.

The crowd was about 5,339 people in the Amway Arena (which is a really nice arena and could totally house an NHL team) and they were having a great time and were pretty knowledgeable. Fans sing-song chanted the opposing goalie, knew when to boo a bad call, etc. Also saw just about every team's jersey you could imagine heh.

I think we'll be going to a few more games especially if the lockout persists. The Solar Bears used to dominate the IHL and were their last champions so they'll be raising a banner for that this year, maybe sooner than we see a Division Champ banner raised for the Panthers They're the affiliate for the Minnesota Wild and we might take in a game against our ECHL team, Cincinnati.

Florida Panthers: 2014 NHL Entry Draft Lottery...Winners?
Old
10-27-2012, 06:17 PM
Lola
Future Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers Rock View Post
Hockey-related stuff but not worth another thread. Desperate for hockey, my wife and I went to an Orlando Solar Bears game for the ECHL. Gotta say, while it wasn't nearly the same, it was still a fun time and nice to see live hockey again. Plus they won 5-3 with leading scorer (and leading the ECHL right now) Nick Petersen getting a hat trick.

The crowd was about 5,339 people in the Amway Arena (which is a really nice arena and could totally house an NHL team) and they were having a great time and were pretty knowledgeable. Fans sing-song chanted the opposing goalie, knew when to boo a bad call, etc. Also saw just about every team's jersey you could imagine heh.

I think we'll be going to a few more games especially if the lockout persists. The Solar Bears used to dominate the IHL and were their last champions so they'll be raising a banner for that this year, maybe sooner than we see a Division Champ banner raised for the Panthers They're the affiliate for the Minnesota Wild and we might take in a game against our ECHL team, Cincinnati.
We bought season tix for the Everblades (needing a hockey fix!), and watched them play against the Solar Bears. I can't remember the guy's name, but the redheaded guy for the SB was a beast. Gotta cheer on the Everblades though, since they're in our backyard. We had a lot of fun too...much more than I remember the last time we went to a Blades' game.

Old
12-07-2012, 01:43 PM
SoupyFIN
#character

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
6 month sentence. 128 mornings left.
Wow, a hundred mornings later, time really flies.

Been waay too long since I've talked to you guys, hope you're all doing well.

Old
12-12-2012, 08:38 PM
Krishna

We are organizing a most handsome player in the league poll tournament for the poll board, could you guys give me 3 of the most handsome players on the team?

We are doing a 68 player tournament and are doing 2 from each team with 8 players as wildcards.

Old
12-14-2012, 02:44 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
WTF is wrong with some people in this country, well the US that is? Since Columbine, there have been 31 school shootings in the US, 17 more than the rest of the WORLD! I was never really against the ban of automatic weapons, but it really needs to be considered now. I understand that its the person using the gun that actually kills people, but there really is no point for people to have in their house the type of armory that some have.

Old
01-01-2013, 11:46 AM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

Happy New Year Cats!

Here's to the best 2013 has to offer (and hopefully its some hockey) ...

Closed Thread