HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Blues Forum Lounge Thread (Home of All Things OT)

Closed Thread

Old
08-13-2012, 06:57 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

vCash: 500
Yeah, about that..... Although it's an exhibition, that wasn't encouraging.

Old
08-13-2012, 08:25 PM
Bruv
Loveless

vCash: 50
Great news with dropping the London games in 2013 and 2014. Rams in STL is looking much brighter now.

Old
08-16-2012, 11:06 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Ty Rattie's Tweet from last night:

blue jays mvp tonight colby rasmus 0-5 with 4 strike outs. thanks for nothing!!!

Lol. He's hit for a lot more power in Toronto, but his average is still pretty low. .247 with 100 strikeouts. Ouch.

Old
08-16-2012, 12:22 PM
Dolph Ziggler
Push ME

Governor's Cup on Saturday!!!

Hopefully some of the injured guys like Stewart and DX will able to go.

Old
08-16-2012, 04:50 PM
Bruv
Loveless

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
Governor's Cup on Saturday!!!

Hopefully some of the injured guys like Stewart and DX will able to go.
I hope Bradford and the offense stretch the field more.

Old
08-19-2012, 10:18 AM
Random Bruins Fan
Certified Poster

Nice to see the Rams show up for a change, albeit a preseason game. Bradford and co actually looked good last night.

Old
08-19-2012, 05:16 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Garcia was excellent today. Hopefully he can keep that up the rest of the season. We're going to need it.

Old
08-20-2012, 09:55 AM
Dolph Ziggler
Push ME

Bradford is now 13-18 with 159 yards passing with 2 TDs and 0 INTs this preseason.

I liked what I saw from the offense but especially the offensive line. Sam had time to throw and S-Jax had some really nice run lanes.

The defense played pretty well considering they had no gameplan according to Fisher.

Old
08-20-2012, 10:27 AM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
Garcia was excellent today. Hopefully he can keep that up the rest of the season. We're going to need it.
Adding a strong Garcia would elevate the rotation to another level.

Wainwright - Garcia - Lynn - Lohse - Westbrook is damn good, especially this year.

Old
08-20-2012, 11:41 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

That's a great rotation. If Garcia keeps this up, we have 3 guys that can legitimately shut down the opposition on any given night, Waino, Lohse, Garcia, and 2 guys that have been steady all year and give you a chance to win. I like that a lot. I think that rotation will be the reason the Cards pass the Pirates. If the Cards get in, it's going to be tough to beat this team in a 5 or 7 game series if the bullpen holds up.

Old
08-21-2012, 09:08 PM
Thekidline

Quote:
That's a great rotation. If Garcia keeps this up, we have 3 guys that can legitimately shut down the opposition on any given night, Waino, Lohse, Garcia, and 2 guys that have been steady all year and give you a chance to win. I like that a lot. I think that rotation will be the reason the Cards pass the Pirates. If the Cards get in, it's going to be tough to beat this team in a 5 or 7 game series if the bullpen holds up.
Agreed, this pitching staff is really coming together at the perfect time....

With westbrook's extension signed today that leaves our rotation for next year looking something like

Waino
Carpenter (if healthy)
Garcia
Lynn
Westbrook

Others:
Lohse (FA)
Joe Kelly
Shelby Miller
Carlos Martinez

How do you see it shaping up?

The lohse situation is intriguing to me because he has put together two solid years in a row but will be 34 at the beginning of next season and with westbrook resigned there is no clear cut spot for him in the rotation......

I wouldn't mind putting kelly in the bullpen for a year similar to what we did with waino.

As for Shelby Miller I believe he will start 2013 in the AAA rotation but will at some point be ready for the big leagues before the all-star break....

Other pitching prospects such as Martinez Rosenthal Gast Wacha and Jenkins all will need more time in the minors but may make solid pushes for a MLB roster spot in the next year or two.

Old
08-21-2012, 09:16 PM
Dolph Ziggler
Push ME

I would trade Shelby Miller personally.

Old
08-21-2012, 09:41 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

I'm still a little pessimistic about Carpenter ever starting again. If he's not able, I really hope we do everything we can to sign Lohse to a 2 or 3 year deal unless Shelby Miller makes a giant stride forward in the offseason.

A rotation of Waino, Garcia, Lynn, Westbrook, Kelly does not make me very comfortable. If Carp can't go, I think we need another starter that has proven he can be steady all season. Lynn had a great start to the year, and has pitched reasonably well all season, Garcia has his moments, as does Westbrook. Lohse is very steady and I hope we resign him or someone similar.

Old
08-22-2012, 10:16 AM
Thekidline

Quote:
I would trade Shelby Miller personally.
Reasoning?

Old
08-22-2012, 10:45 AM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Rosenthal has already made it to the majors. Clearly the Cardinals think he's ready.

Without any new additions, I see the rotation as being
Wainwright
Garcia
Lynn
Westbrook
Carpenter

The bullpen something like
Mujica
Kelly
Salas
Rzepcynski
Boggs
Motte
Browning, maybe?

We really have an abundance of pitchers. Miller will probably have to stay in the minors if Carpenter comes back, especially with Westbrook's extension. Kelly, with his performance this year, has a strong argument to stay with the Cards. Maybe he's dangled as trade bait.

The line up probably won't look much different, unless we improve at 2B, which could be Wong, if he plays well. If not, I'd love to trade someone like Kelly for Jason Kipnis

Last edited by bluesfan94: 08-22-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old
08-22-2012, 03:13 PM
Thekidline

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
Rosenthal has already made it to the majors. Clearly the Cardinals think he's ready.

Without any new additions, I see the rotation as being
Wainwright
Garcia
Lynn
Westbrook
Carpenter

The bullpen something like
Mujica
Kelly
Salas
Rzepcynski
Boggs
Motte
Browning, maybe?

We really have an abundance of pitchers. Miller will probably have to stay in the minors if Carpenter comes back, especially with Westbrook's extension. Kelly, with his performance this year, has a strong argument to stay with the Cards. Maybe he's dangled as trade bait.

The line up probably won't look much different, unless we improve at 2B, which could be Wong, if he plays well. If not, I'd love to trade someone like Kelly for Jason Kipnis
I dont believe you can say clearly they think he is ready he was called up at a time when our bullpen was under performing and hurt.... he had never played in AAA before that time. He still needs time in the minors.

Old
08-22-2012, 03:45 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekidline View Post
I dont believe you can say clearly they think he is ready he was called up at a time when our bullpen was under performing and hurt.... he had never played in AAA before that time. He still needs time in the minors.
Wouldn't there be better options then? Or at least shouldn't there?

Old
08-22-2012, 04:35 PM
Thekidline

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
Wouldn't there be better options then? Or at least shouldn't there?
Yes there were options at memphis with more expierence and they tried them (Cleto, marte, dickson, sanchez, fick) none of them stuck..... Kelly was needed in the rotation.

So far after Rosenthal was optioned to memphis he has a 6.30 ERA in 10 innings... Small sample size I am aware of that, I am just pointing that out.

Before this year he had never played above A ball.

Last edited by Thekidline: 08-22-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old
08-22-2012, 07:51 PM
Dolph Ziggler
Push ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekidline View Post
Reasoning?
I don't have faith in him. I think his trade value now is higher than why he'll ever be as a player. From all reports he wasnt exactly eager to learn.

Had a pretty bad season and Carlos Martinez has passed him in value in the front offices eyes.

He won't be in the rotation next year anyway.

Old
08-22-2012, 09:19 PM
Bruv
Loveless

Miller >>>>> Rosenthal

Over Shelby's last 6 starts or so his K:BB ratio is 50:1.

Old
08-24-2012, 06:28 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

The Cardinals start a Critical 10 game road trip tonight in Cincinatti, then Pittsburgh, and then the 1st place Senators, just to let ya all know, crunch time. But not as difficult as last season's senario at this time with the extra wild card team starting this fall.

Old
08-24-2012, 09:17 AM
SirPaste

Yea a lot people seem down on Shelby, he hasnt had the best year but seems to have gotten it together, not to mention he has absolutely dominated at every level he has pitched at. He will be fine, just a minor speed bump in the middle of the season this year.

Old
08-24-2012, 09:20 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

The only thing that concerns me about Miller is that I've read in multiple reports that he was forced into a "no shake" situation.

Old
08-24-2012, 09:26 AM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
I don't have faith in him. I think his trade value now is higher than why he'll ever be as a player. From all reports he wasnt exactly eager to learn.

Had a pretty bad season and Carlos Martinez has passed him in value in the front offices eyes.

He won't be in the rotation next year anyway.
I don't think that Carlos Martinez has passed him. Martinez is also a lot further away. I think Shelby Miller and Joe Kelly will be the two competitors for the 5th spot in the rotation. If Kelly loses, I could see Kelly becoming the long reliever, whereas Miller would return to Memphis. I honestly think that Miller will beat out Kelly, and take the 5th spot. Miller started out the year poorly, but now has been on fire.

Quote:
The only thing that concerns me about Miller is that I've read in multiple reports that he was forced into a "no shake" situation.
I don't think that it's that unusual for a young pitcher, especially one who relies on his fastball. When he started to get hit at the beginning of the season, he became increasingly reliant on the fastball, pitching it more often than he should, because he was most confident in that pitch. That meant that hitters could wait on his fastball and then be ready for it. The no shake rule was more to get him more confidence in his offspeed pitches, and judging by his results recently, it's worked.

Old
08-24-2012, 09:36 AM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
Yea a lot people seem down on Shelby, he hasnt had the best year but seems to have gotten it together, not to mention he has absolutely dominated at every level he has pitched at. He will be fine, just a minor speed bump in the middle of the season this year.
It seems that way, yes. Was a little worried that the Cards' most highly-touted pitching prospect went sour, but am glad that it was just a mechanical problem or whatever and not a shoulder or elbow injury.

Closed Thread