HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preds at Sharks, game 3

Old
04-26-2006, 09:01 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
if Vokoun had played, we still would have lost. He might have made the saves Mase didn't, but he might not have made a couple of the saves Mase DID. The bottom line...Tomas can't help us score goals,which is where we're losing games. It's not as if we lost the game 5-4. We scored one goal...shorthanded...on an odd-man rush. There was no real pressure at any other point in the game. Nothing Chris Mason can do about that. He's not watching the puck go skipping by at the point on the power. He's not getting the puck just over the red line and chipping it in behind the net...only to lose the race, creating a turnover.

Should he have had two of those goals? Yeah. But take them away, and we still lose 2-1....the first off a brutal giveaway in the offensive end...and then off a penalty caused by a defenseman trying to tap the puck out of the zone...and sending it right to a Sharks forward who begins the cycle and ends up drawing a penalty.

There are a lot of problems right now, but goaltending really isn't one of them.

Disagree, Mason didn't play well and 2 of those goals were soft three were stoppable. If Vokoun is in we generate more offense, because we play more aggressive offensively. Right now we're only using one forechecker and everyone is staying back. We cannot play this style of hockey and generate offense especially with Walker and Sullivan at 40% at the most. We have to forecheck more agressively and take more chances, it might led to odd man rushes but it's how this team plays.

Also if Walker cannot shoot or stickhandle, let Upshall play, ditto with Sullivan.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2006, 09:07 AM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingPredFan
Well maybe you are right nomore, you know more than I do for sure... I just felt like the ones he gave up lost momentum you know? He stops the first goal and keeps it 1-1 thru the second, and if cheechoo's goal isn't scored, then I don't think we give the last one which I felt was because we got deflated and loss focus after it. I know its pure conjecture, he made some really good saves as well.

Well the way the game was last night, I have just seen Vokoun steal a game like that many a time I guess.
RPF those are valid points you make. Those 2 goals definitely changed momentum and they were both softies that Chris would want back. This takes nothing away from the large number of BIG saves he did make.

Unfortunately the pink elephant in the room is how the team responds to Mase giving up these 2 softies.....does this play to the fear in the back of all their minds that they aren't the same team without Vokoun....that Chris has stepped up, but is still a relatively untested backup goalie playing on the biggest stage in the hockey world? That to me is the big question right now.....what is going on in the back of their minds right now....I just don't know if they think they can win the series right In their heart of hearts. Chris is not gonna steal games like Vokoun, but so far he has been pretty solid. His post game comments sounded like he took it well and will come out battling in Game 4, which is the right mindset.
Unfortunatly, with our lack of offense, Chris has to play a perfect game for us to win, and that is probably too much to ask.

Overall, I agree with Nomore....goaltending is not really one of our major problems problem right now.....and Vokoun probably wouldn't have made much of a difference last night except for the confidence level the team has had that he can steal games and carry them.

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2006, 10:27 AM
Nitrous Mafia

Well I just finished watching it. I had an exam at 8 this morning and am really glad I didn't watch it last night because there was no way I would've been able to study after that. Let's go guys, turn it up for next game. Trotz needs to light a fire under them. GO PREDS!

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2006, 12:15 PM
jstreet
Sad McDavid

vCash: 50
My disapointment stems form the fact that we just didnt look like we had a gameplan on any sort. It looked like we were spread around all night just hoping that Johnson would pick off a blue lin pass for a breakaway.

I said it before this game, I'll say it again: I love Sully, but an injured Sully isnt doing anyone favors. At least Upshall will being the intensity and Perreault would find his way into the slot. I dont understand why they remain scratched.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2006, 05:49 PM
Pred303

i know it's late but as difficult as it is, a few thoughts about game 3 and the series...

...SJ is grinding us to death. their puck possession is what is beating us and grinding us to a pulp. nothing illustrates their zone dominance better than last night SJ had 27 faceoffs in their offensive zone... we had 11 in our offensive zone... 27 to 11, about the proportion of time spent in their end versus our end.
...people are actually screaming "we need to shoot the puck more!".. well duh, but first we have to find a way to get the frigging puck to shoot it. then once we get it we have to find a way to get it all the way up to our zone. right now when we FINALLY gain some control of the puck, it's only after we've been out on a shift for 45 seconds and have to dump it and change.
...very dissappointed trotz didn't make lineup changes going into this one. it took no rocket scientist stuff to know we needed an offensive spark after game 2. we HAVE to get perreualt and upshall in the lineup for game 4, should have been in there last night.
...we are a better team than SJ with everyone completely healthy, unfortunately we're not healthy nor are we close to healthy... sullivan, walker, legwand, zidlicky are 4 of our top 7 offensive players, and with them all out or at half speed, it's apparent we're simply not as good as SJ who is fully healthy.
...walker, sullivan, legwand all looked awful last night in the offensive end. walker has no shot, legwand looked half speed and visibly hobbled on his knee, and sullivan is so rusty he creaks when he skates right now
...kariya. the guy simply isn't a guy that can pick this team up and carry it with no support like sullivan is some nights. someone has to create the guy shots.
...erat... did he dress last night?. the guy made one good pass to kariya in the first, but was otherwise invisible in over 18 minutes of icetime
... hartnell...doghouse or not, trotz HAS got to get him more in the offensive flow of the game... which means pairing him with an offensive winger like erat or kariya or sullivan.. it means getting him out on the PP.. last night 10 minutes of icetime, this team is not physical enough to only get hartnell 10 minutes of icetime and expect to win often
...love smithson, tootoo and nichol as players... but none of the three has one lick of offensive capability... sure you need pk'ers and energy players, but for god's sake we need some offense to have a chance to win.. play frigging upshall over one of these guys!
...to have walker on the pp is a joke, the guy cann't bend his frigging wrist or shoot the puck for god's sake!.. last night's first goal they scored was a direct result of walker forcing a crossice pass when our pp was expiring and giving them the rush the other way...that pass should never, ever have been attempted in that situation..
...our pp. all year it's been either great or terrible. no in between. right now, it's absolutely horrible. 4 pp's, 2 frigging shots on net. sullivan on the wing of the umbrella hasn't worked all year, hard to expect it to work now. sully ,kariya and timonen playing catch and not shooting the onetimer is killing our 1st unit pp. people scream "we need more traffic, where is the traffic in front of the net?!"... i scream back, how do we KNOW there is no traffic when we never put the puck toward the flipping net to begin with?!..having said that, erat isn't exactly the guy i want fighting to get in front of toksala to provide a screen.. we need hall, we need hartnell out there doing this
...hamhuis simply got undressed twice last night. thornton and marleau both walked right around him and straight in on mason.. one goal, one pp as a result... great hipcheck on cheechoo, but doesn't make up for those two not playing the body and trying to play the puck
...mason.. the guy was simply human.. sure he let in two weak goals... but the guy also stoppped about 6 that should have been in the back of the net... and right now think of the pressure on the guy, he knows he has to pitch a shutout for us to have a chance to win. i've said it before, mason won't be the reason we lose if we lose a series. play well in front of him and he'll be good enough to win.
...thornton rules (a play on Jordan rules for those in the know). the guy is a beast, that much is true. here we have all but shut out the leading scorer in the league, and he's still one of the main reasons SJ is ahead 2 to 1. of course, if the refs would actually allow us to touch him, it might make a little difference.
...toskala should have been whistled for at least one delay of game penalty kicking the net off on both the walker and then the legwand scoring chance. no doubt about it. the eaton, step on my stick and call me for a penalty call was ridiculous of course... 9 pp's to our 4... that was about right though. shows about the percentage of time they dictated play.. all i'll say about the reffing, it didn't beat us, and pred fans need to move beyond thinking that
...i will admit, as much as we were dominated, we still had a chance to win this game. the walker two on one missed shot- toskala kick the net off the post play - straight to the eaton phantom call and go ahead goal on the other end changed the game forever.

all in all, we looked bad last night, really weak. i was wrong, we don't match up to SJ near as well as we would have ANA. and to think i thought we probably would. they are bigger,stronger and more physical than we are. and a much better puck control team. we can still steal a win here though. but to do that we have to find our pp and take advantage of a not very good pk. and we have to catch a bounce or two or three. shame that that's what it's coming down to, that we are hoping for good luck thursday night, but honestly that's exactly what we need.

Pred303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2006, 08:59 PM
SwisshockeyAcademy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred303
i know it's late but as difficult as it is, a few thoughts about game 3 and the series...

...SJ is grinding us to death. their puck possession is what is beating us and grinding us to a pulp. nothing illustrates their zone dominance better than last night SJ had 27 faceoffs in their offensive zone... we had 11 in our offensive zone... 27 to 11, about the proportion of time spent in their end versus our end.
...people are actually screaming "we need to shoot the puck more!".. well duh, but first we have to find a way to get the frigging puck to shoot it. then once we get it we have to find a way to get it all the way up to our zone. right now when we FINALLY gain some control of the puck, it's only after we've been out on a shift for 45 seconds and have to dump it and change.
...very dissappointed trotz didn't make lineup changes going into this one. it took no rocket scientist stuff to know we needed an offensive spark after game 2. we HAVE to get perreualt and upshall in the lineup for game 4, should have been in there last night.
...we are a better team than SJ with everyone completely healthy, unfortunately we're not healthy nor are we close to healthy... sullivan, walker, legwand, zidlicky are 4 of our top 7 offensive players, and with them all out or at half speed, it's apparent we're simply not as good as SJ who is fully healthy.
...walker, sullivan, legwand all looked awful last night in the offensive end. walker has no shot, legwand looked half speed and visibly hobbled on his knee, and sullivan is so rusty he creaks when he skates right now
...kariya. the guy simply isn't a guy that can pick this team up and carry it with no support like sullivan is some nights. someone has to create the guy shots.
...erat... did he dress last night?. the guy made one good pass to kariya in the first, but was otherwise invisible in over 18 minutes of icetime
... hartnell...doghouse or not, trotz HAS got to get him more in the offensive flow of the game... which means pairing him with an offensive winger like erat or kariya or sullivan.. it means getting him out on the PP.. last night 10 minutes of icetime, this team is not physical enough to only get hartnell 10 minutes of icetime and expect to win often
...love smithson, tootoo and nichol as players... but none of the three has one lick of offensive capability... sure you need pk'ers and energy players, but for god's sake we need some offense to have a chance to win.. play frigging upshall over one of these guys!
...to have walker on the pp is a joke, the guy cann't bend his frigging wrist or shoot the puck for god's sake!.. last night's first goal they scored was a direct result of walker forcing a crossice pass when our pp was expiring and giving them the rush the other way...that pass should never, ever have been attempted in that situation..
...our pp. all year it's been either great or terrible. no in between. right now, it's absolutely horrible. 4 pp's, 2 frigging shots on net. sullivan on the wing of the umbrella hasn't worked all year, hard to expect it to work now. sully ,kariya and timonen playing catch and not shooting the onetimer is killing our 1st unit pp. people scream "we need more traffic, where is the traffic in front of the net?!"... i scream back, how do we KNOW there is no traffic when we never put the puck toward the flipping net to begin with?!..having said that, erat isn't exactly the guy i want fighting to get in front of toksala to provide a screen.. we need hall, we need hartnell out there doing this
...hamhuis simply got undressed twice last night. thornton and marleau both walked right around him and straight in on mason.. one goal, one pp as a result... great hipcheck on cheechoo, but doesn't make up for those two not playing the body and trying to play the puck
...mason.. the guy was simply human.. sure he let in two weak goals... but the guy also stoppped about 6 that should have been in the back of the net... and right now think of the pressure on the guy, he knows he has to pitch a shutout for us to have a chance to win. i've said it before, mason won't be the reason we lose if we lose a series. play well in front of him and he'll be good enough to win.
...thornton rules (a play on Jordan rules for those in the know). the guy is a beast, that much is true. here we have all but shut out the leading scorer in the league, and he's still one of the main reasons SJ is ahead 2 to 1. of course, if the refs would actually allow us to touch him, it might make a little difference.
...toskala should have been whistled for at least one delay of game penalty kicking the net off on both the walker and then the legwand scoring chance. no doubt about it. the eaton, step on my stick and call me for a penalty call was ridiculous of course... 9 pp's to our 4... that was about right though. shows about the percentage of time they dictated play.. all i'll say about the reffing, it didn't beat us, and pred fans need to move beyond thinking that
...i will admit, as much as we were dominated, we still had a chance to win this game. the walker two on one missed shot- toskala kick the net off the post play - straight to the eaton phantom call and go ahead goal on the other end changed the game forever.

all in all, we looked bad last night, really weak. i was wrong, we don't match up to SJ near as well as we would have ANA. and to think i thought we probably would. they are bigger,stronger and more physical than we are. and a much better puck control team. we can still steal a win here though. but to do that we have to find our pp and take advantage of a not very good pk. and we have to catch a bounce or two or three. shame that that's what it's coming down to, that we are hoping for good luck thursday night, but honestly that's exactly what we need.
Very accurate assessment. Get Hartnell in and around the net, Trotz has to put his petty feelings aside.

SwisshockeyAcademy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2006, 11:14 PM
C-J Carlson

All I've read of this thread is Pred303's game review. (A must-read.) I thought we played a decent first period, a weak second, and a decent third. But, of course, we sucked on the powerplay. Shoot! Shoot! SHOOT! Crap on a stick of dynamite, that drove me crazy!

I watched the Edmonton/Detroit game and the Oilers shoot towards the net whenever they can - even-strength, on the powerplay and shorthanded. It doesn't matter what the chances of scoring are, they put the puck on net. From there they go to the net and end up getting scoring opportunities. Best series of the playoffs so far, IMO. Go Oilers!

IMO, Darcy Hordichuk should replace Scott Nichol (haven't been impressed by him at all), and the line of Hordichuk / Jerred Smithson / Jordin Tootoo should be reunited and given more game time. Hordichuk has more scoring potential than Nichol, Smithson, Tootoo, Greg Johnson (when we're not short-handed - Greg's a killer), and probably Scott Walker.

And I really think that Scottie Upshall should be put in the line-up. Just make him the 13th man, and put him out on a few lines now a then, and see what happens.

Anyhoo...

C-J Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2006, 01:38 PM
SC2007

Great Series

Pred303 - Great evaluation of the series. Long time Sharks fan here. Good to see some hockey smarts in Tennesee.

After watching the playoffs year after year I stopped complaining about the refs--unless it's something exceptional...Agree that Mason can't be asked to pitch a shut out each game. When you're up against 3 of the top 20 point leaders this season Nashville needs to score a minimum of 3 goals to have a chance.

Surprised Hordichuk hasn't played. That guy pisses me off glad he's not dressed...I do like the way Tootoo plays. You just need some of your bigger players, other than Kariya, to do that.

BTW, Thanks for Cheechoo

SC2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2006, 05:26 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2007
Pred303 - Great evaluation of the series. Long time Sharks fan here. Good to see some hockey smarts in Tennesee.

After watching the playoffs year after year I stopped complaining about the refs--unless it's something exceptional...Agree that Mason can't be asked to pitch a shut out each game. When you're up against 3 of the top 20 point leaders this season Nashville needs to score a minimum of 3 goals to have a chance.

Surprised Hordichuk hasn't played. That guy pisses me off glad he's not dressed...I do like the way Tootoo plays. You just need some of your bigger players, other than Kariya, to do that.

BTW, Thanks for Cheechoo
We never drafted Cheechoo.

BTW, thanks for Weber.....

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2006, 09:20 PM
C-J Carlson

I think he was thanking us (Nashville) for making the trade that gave them (San Jose) the pick they used to select Jonathan Cheechoo. I was personally hoping the Predators would end up drafting Cheechoo during that draft.

Anyhoo...

C-J Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2006, 03:54 PM
DManPreds

Cheechoo isn't half the player without Thorton, just like Glen Murray didn't do crap after Thorton left the Bruins. Then Cheechoo has Marleau when he doesn't have Thorton. Hell you put any average player on these 2 guys line and they'll score a lot of goals.

DManPreds is offline   Reply With Quote