HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wilson & Smith

Old
08-23-2012, 09:57 AM
codeman00

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
I know he was a rookie, but Smith showed last season that his confidence is fragile. He was great until December. After that missed net, there was weeks I forgot he was even on this team. Hopefully some experience gets him to forget the mistakes and keep up the good play.
I personally think that Smith's late season fall off was more a physical issue than a mental issue. I watched him a lot during the course of the year and he consistently was physically dominated, especially toward the end of the season. 1) The competition level was better at the end of the season and 2) Smith's body wasn't ready for a the length of a grueling NHL season. The coaches have stated #2 repeatedly, the last of which was Brent Peterson stating it at Sportsfest when I asked about Smith.

codeman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Jarnberg

Smith's dropoff is because he was a college player. He is used to a shorter season than the NHL. You'll find alot of college players who drop off after having a hot start. He'll have more consistency next year.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 11:22 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Hopefully, you guys are right. That missed net just seemed to be a big landmark that divided the good play from the invisible last year.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 11:37 AM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:
I know he was a rookie, but Smith showed last season that his confidence is fragile. He was great until December. After that missed net, there was weeks I forgot he was even on this team. Hopefully some experience gets him to forget the mistakes and keep up the good play.
Experience fixes that...

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 01:25 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Hopefully, you guys are right. That missed net just seemed to be a big landmark that divided the good play from the invisible last year.
Before that missed net he had 14 points in 17 games. He had 10 points in the next 17 games, and then 7 in the next 17 games. He then had 5 points the rest of the season (21 games). It's also worth noting that he didn't have a point in the two games leading up to that game, and didn't have a point at all in the Nov 17th Toronto game in which he missed the net.

The big drop off didn't begin until well after that missed net. I think a mixture of not being physically prepared for the NHL season and inexperience causing his drop off is more likely than any psychological issue caused by his failed showboating.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 04:22 PM
Top 6 Spaling

I'm not worried about Smith. We know the kid has game, and consistency will come. If you look at the rate he suddenly got good at, it is very unlikely that developmental curve would just randomly cut off. He isn't done maturing as a player yet.

Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 09:59 AM
Shea Weber

SMITH IS A BALLER!

that is all.

Shea Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 01:54 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea Weber View Post
SMITH IS A BALLER!

that is all.
You should know, Shea!

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 03:01 PM
Top 6 Spaling

I think, in the future, they could be great linemates. Smith is a shooter, Wilson is a powerforward, so all the need is a top pass on the line.

Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 01:16 AM
Machinehead
1st pair Boyle

vCash: 50
I think both will be very good 50 point players with more consistency, especially Smith.

Now some guys are just inconsistent. That's it. That's who they are and they always will be. With most guys however consistency comes with age and I hope that's the case here.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 07:29 AM
Jonesey
It's almost time..

I hope they can both take that step forward that everyone here knows that both are capible of.

Jonesey is offline   Reply With Quote