HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The OT Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-14-2012, 10:34 PM
  #126
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
Benevolent Overlord
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,782
vCash: 1508
I'm at least cautiously optimistic that there will be some NHL hockey next season.

Stewie Griffin is offline  
Old
08-14-2012, 10:46 PM
  #127
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
I'm at least cautiously optimistic that there will be some NHL hockey next season.
After seeing that the players don't want to play hard ball (I guess the lockout worked ) I think the owners will back down some of their demands and we could start on time.

TheHudlinator is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 01:42 AM
  #128
tmurfin
500g1000pts
 
tmurfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,311
vCash: 336
God I hope this gets resolved soon, I'm pretty content with what I've heard about the NHLPA stance, so hopefully the owners give a little and get this thing going.. I'm still thinking a shortened season, but from the way things are looking, not by much

tmurfin is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 08:57 AM
  #129
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man
 
TherapyforGlencross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,761
vCash: 50
I guess in the NHLPA offer, teams would be willing to trade cap space. Not sure I like that.

TherapyforGlencross is online now  
Old
08-15-2012, 05:52 PM
  #130
Janko Unchained
Flames CBA Guy
 
Janko Unchained's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lethbridge, AB
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 2,022
vCash: 240
What a ****ing joke

If there is another lockout, I hope Bettman loses his job... Unfortunately, the owners love the *******.

Janko Unchained is online now  
Old
08-15-2012, 06:19 PM
  #131
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Brostopolous View Post
What a ****ing joke

If there is another lockout, I hope Bettman loses his job... Unfortunately, the owners love the *******.
Thats retarded the players gave a very respectable first offer and he calls it way off. **** looks like we are losing another season thanks to the greedy owners.

TheHudlinator is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 07:13 PM
  #132
tmurfin
500g1000pts
 
tmurfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,311
vCash: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Thats retarded the players gave a very respectable first offer and he calls it way off. **** looks like we are losing another season thanks to the greedy owners.
I don't know how it worked out, but apparently the players proposal only appeared to be a big concession, when in reality, after the numbers were run, they weren't going to give up a whole lot.. But at the same time, they have expressed they would give up some money, are fine with the cap, and acknowledge that there are problems.. But I find it really hard to side with the owners here.. The players gave HUGE concessions in the last go around, and it was supposed to be solved, now the owners are unhappy yet again. So **** them. I will be pissed if the only way we get hockey is if Bettman and co get all their demands met. It's ****ing stupid if you ask me. Bettman needs to be fired. Like Fehr said, look at baseball, hasn't been a threat of lockout in a decade and a half, although I admit, baseball is not perfect with their non-cap system.

tmurfin is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 07:19 PM
  #133
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
I don't know how it worked out, but apparently the players proposal only appeared to be a big concession, when in reality, after the numbers were run, they weren't going to give up a whole lot.. But at the same time, they have expressed they would give up some money, are fine with the cap, and acknowledge that there are problems.. But I find it really hard to side with the owners here.. The players gave HUGE concessions in the last go around, and it was supposed to be solved, now the owners are unhappy yet again. So **** them. I will be pissed if the only way we get hockey is if Bettman and co get all their demands met. It's ****ing stupid if you ask me. Bettman needs to be fired. Like Fehr said, look at baseball, hasn't been a threat of lockout in a decade and a half, although I admit, baseball is not perfect with their non-cap system.
Bettman only does what his employers want and they want money all the money. The fact the players offered a reasonable first offer (meaning they ask for more than the expect so they can negotiate) and the owners think it is "way off" and yet they think that 5 year ELC and 10 year RFA as well as much smaller cap is they way to go we won't see NHL hockey this year period.

I don't care that baseball hasn't had a lockout they have a corrupt system where half the league is a farm team.

TheHudlinator is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 07:25 PM
  #134
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,887
vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
I guess in the NHLPA offer, teams would be willing to trade cap space. Not sure I like that.
That's pretty innovative. Rich teams can pay poor teams for their space, thereby providing revenue to poor teams. Damn that's cool.

MarkGio is online now  
Old
08-15-2012, 07:30 PM
  #135
Janko Unchained
Flames CBA Guy
 
Janko Unchained's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lethbridge, AB
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 2,022
vCash: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
I don't know how it worked out, but apparently the players proposal only appeared to be a big concession, when in reality, after the numbers were run, they weren't going to give up a whole lot.. But at the same time, they have expressed they would give up some money, are fine with the cap, and acknowledge that there are problems.. But I find it really hard to side with the owners here.. The players gave HUGE concessions in the last go around, and it was supposed to be solved, now the owners are unhappy yet again. So **** them. I will be pissed if the only way we get hockey is if Bettman and co get all their demands met. It's ****ing stupid if you ask me. Bettman needs to be fired. Like Fehr said, look at baseball, hasn't been a threat of lockout in a decade and a half, although I admit, baseball is not perfect with their non-cap system.
According to Bettman, anyway. I agree with Fehr in that you can't compare the economics of the NHL to the economics of the NBA or NFL. Different sports have different systems and different methods of dealing with these sort of things. Apples & oranges.

Janko Unchained is online now  
Old
08-15-2012, 07:40 PM
  #136
tmurfin
500g1000pts
 
tmurfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,311
vCash: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Bettman only does what his employers want and they want money all the money. The fact the players offered a reasonable first offer (meaning they ask for more than the expect so they can negotiate) and the owners think it is "way off" and yet they think that 5 year ELC and 10 year RFA as well as much smaller cap is they way to go we won't see NHL hockey this year period.

I don't care that baseball hasn't had a lockout they have a corrupt system where half the league is a farm team.
I am in no way arguing with you, so no need to get all "rah-rah". Yes, Gary works for the owners, but at the same time, he is supposed to keep things running smoothly. And I never once said baseball was perfect, in fact, I admitted there was problems. My point was, there hasn't even been a THREAT of work stoppage for a decade and a half, if the NHL has one, it will be the fourth in 20 years.

tmurfin is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 07:44 PM
  #137
tmurfin
500g1000pts
 
tmurfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,311
vCash: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Brostopolous View Post
According to Bettman, anyway. I agree with Fehr in that you can't compare the economics of the NHL to the economics of the NBA or NFL. Different sports have different systems and different methods of dealing with these sort of things. Apples & oranges.
I absolutely agree that you can't, my point was, things shouldn't have to be this way. There is no reason to have 4 lockouts in 20 years..


Also there is a great article that you all should read on Sportsnet.ca, I'm on my phone and am too lazy to link it, it's call "Grange on NHL:Cloaked in Compromise", I'll let you guys draw from it what you want.. Great read to those interested though.



And if someone on a computer could please link it, that would be great

tmurfin is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 07:48 PM
  #138
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
I am in no way arguing with you, so no need to get all "rah-rah". Yes, Gary works for the owners, but at the same time, he is supposed to keep things running smoothly. And I never once said baseball was perfect, in fact, I admitted there was problems. My point was, there hasn't even been a THREAT of work stoppage for a decade and a half, if the NHL has one, it will be the fourth in 20 years.
I am not getting "rar-rah" well I am not meaning to if you took it that way I apologize, I was merely saying that Bettman's job is to make the league grow and make the owners rich and he has done a great job at that. While the players made huge concessions last time they are making 57% of revenue that is more than the other 3 leagues which is why the owners are pissed.

TheHudlinator is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 07:57 PM
  #139
tmurfin
500g1000pts
 
tmurfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,311
vCash: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I am not getting "rar-rah" well I am not meaning to if you took it that way I apologize, I was merely saying that Bettman's job is to make the league grow and make the owners rich and he has done a great job at that. While the players made huge concessions last time they are making 57% of revenue that is more than the other 3 leagues which is why the owners are pissed.
And it's definitely understandable.. Concessions will be made, that's a given, but the amount the owners are asking for are insane.. I don't even know why we are arguing or if we are at that lol, we both agree that the owners have their reasons to be pissed, but they need to quit being greedy and make some concessions of their own so we can watch some ****ing hockey.

tmurfin is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 08:00 PM
  #140
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
And it's definitely understandable.. Concessions will be made, that's a given, but the amount the owners are asking for are insane.. I don't even know why we are arguing or if we are at that lol, we both agree that the owners have their reasons to be pissed, but they need to quit being greedy and make some concessions of their own so we can watch some ****ing hockey.
I think the best system is the current one (so the owners give up RFA years and ELC years at 50% so the players give up 7 %)

TheHudlinator is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 08:01 PM
  #141
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,887
vCash: 67
Here's what is wrong with the league, from an owner's perspective:
"I want to pay the players less money. The player's won't accept less pay because someone else will pay them the money they deserve, so I need for me and my competitors to be regulated"

Here's what's wrong with the world, from an owner's perspective:
"I want to make more money. I can't make more money because I have competitors and government that regulate my prices, so I need less regulation"

Here's what's wrong with an owner, from the world's perspective:
"Owners are too dumb to see that their really just a player that wants more money."


Last edited by MarkGio: 08-15-2012 at 08:22 PM.
MarkGio is online now  
Old
08-15-2012, 08:06 PM
  #142
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,887
vCash: 67
I've always known the revenue sharing to be actually less than 57%. If every team was spending to the cap, then yes, player's would be earning 57%.

MarkGio is online now  
Old
08-15-2012, 08:06 PM
  #143
tmurfin
500g1000pts
 
tmurfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,311
vCash: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I think the best system is the current one (so the owners give up RFA years and ELC years at 50% so the players give up 7 %)
I agree, seems good to me. Although, anything that ends this **** is good to me on the end

tmurfin is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 08:14 PM
  #144
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I've always known the revenue sharing to be actually less than 57%. If every team was spending to the cap, then yes, player's would be earning 57%.
While this is true the players are able to take a retarded amount, the NHL has some of the smallest (finical) owners in the 4 major leagues and yet they have to give up the most to the players it doesn't make sense.

TheHudlinator is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 08:21 PM
  #145
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,887
vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
While this is true the players are able to take a retarded amount, the NHL has some of the smallest (finical) owners in the 4 major leagues and yet they have to give up the most to the players it doesn't make sense.
I will say it's a complicated issue one way or the other, but NHL salaries are nowhere compared to other leagues.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...orts_contracts

The fact that the owner's aren't as rich is reflective in the player salaries

MarkGio is online now  
Old
08-15-2012, 08:26 PM
  #146
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I will say it's a complicated issue one way or the other, but NHL salaries are nowhere compared to other leagues.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...orts_contracts

The fact that the owner's aren't as rich is reflective in the player salaries
I agree but all that shows is richest owners in MLB>NHL it doesn't show how the small teams are doing.


Last edited by TheHudlinator: 08-15-2012 at 08:33 PM.
TheHudlinator is offline  
Old
08-22-2012, 11:07 PM
  #147
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,887
vCash: 67
So the NHL drama continues. What I absolutely love about this whole ordeal is the NHL contracts that have been signed during negotiations. How can Bettman honestly lowball Fehr on contract lengths with a straight face when owners have been giving away 7 year contracts on the same day as negotiation talks?

I could see Bettman saying "Owners simply refuse to proceed with a CBA that allows these ridiculously lengthy contracts".

And then Fehr gets a text message, looks up a Bettman, and says "Since when?"

MarkGio is online now  
Old
08-23-2012, 08:18 PM
  #148
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,887
vCash: 67
I found it funny when Bettman said the league has the greatest fans after asked how the NHL survives a lock-out. So why exactly are their poor teams having trouble putting fans in the seats?

Does Bettman really think that Pheonix can survive a lock-out? Does Bettman really think it's good for the newly formed Winnipeg to have a lock-out? If the league had such good fans, then why did a team have to pack it up and sell?

MarkGio is online now  
Old
08-24-2012, 10:52 AM
  #149
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Formerly MVW
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,972
vCash: 50
@MG, agree on all accounts. I think the players will win this PR battle after the concessions they made the last time. Especially their acknowledgement of the financial issues today and after putting forward their innovative proposal of revenue sharing.

No one is going to (or should IMO) side with the owners after they have cried wolf on so many occasions.

Johnny Hoxville is online now  
Old
08-24-2012, 06:18 PM
  #150
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
@MG, agree on all accounts. I think the players will win this PR battle after the concessions they made the last time. Especially their acknowledgement of the financial issues today and after putting forward their innovative proposal of revenue sharing.

No one is going to (or should IMO) side with the owners after they have cried wolf on so many occasions.
Not only that but last time most bought Bettman's argument that a salary cap would help reduce ticket prices and yet they have gone up, simply put Bettman has no allies this time I think he will fold under the pressure.

TheHudlinator is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.