HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Luongo Thread - Scorcher 6: Global Meltdown (Mod Warning Post # 694)

Closed Thread

Old
08-23-2012, 04:32 PM
YogiCanucks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
How did Luongo's value go down so fast? I mean, naturally he's not going to return what Schneider will but damn.
Well because everyone knew Luongo's value and since none of the other GMs made a deal right away his perceived value went down with the fans. And on HF in terms of player value, perception is reality.

Also, at this point (though a lot is up in the air simply because of the CBA) I would think Gillis is comfortable going into the season with Luongo. I think a deadline deal would be awesome.

Old
08-23-2012, 04:33 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Well because everyone knew Luongo's value and since none of the other GMs made a deal right away his perceived value went down with the fans. And on HF in terms of player value, perception is reality.

Also, at this point (though a lot is up in the air simply because of the CBA) I would think Gillis is comfortable going into the season with Luongo. I think a deadline deal would be awesome.
... And speculation is reality.

Old
08-23-2012, 04:38 PM
Reverend Mayhem
1 for you, 19 for me

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post

Perception is always reality.

I believe Luongo should be able to return significant pieces. He's been a top-10 goalie in the league for the past 8 years.

Old
08-23-2012, 04:55 PM
Al Swearengen
Smug Nation National

Its because HF doesn't like us. Plus the fanbase we seem to clash most with is the Hawks', and they have a murderer's row of trolling, irrational homers who bark loudly, IMO.

Old
08-23-2012, 04:59 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Swearengen View Post
Its because HF doesn't like us. Plus the fanbase we seem to clash most with is the Hawks', and they have a murderer's row of trolling, irrational homers who bark loudly, IMO.
I don't think it's limited to us, it's the HF way. Columbus fans took a beating when it came to Rick Nash, the Oilers are getting heat about the Hall signing. Anytime something happens with your team it's you against the rest of the league around here.

Old
08-23-2012, 05:01 PM
Reverend Mayhem
1 for you, 19 for me

Quote:
Remember how the Bruins' fans painted their team as saints the entire summer last year and everyone bought it (minus Habs and some Bolts fans) only to find out who the real Bruins were this year? I do.

It just goes to show that on HF, it doesn't matter what you say it matters on how many people repeat what you say to people that don't bother to look too far into things.

Old
08-23-2012, 05:09 PM
Al Swearengen
Smug Nation National

Quote:
Remember how the Bruins' fans painted their team as saints the entire summer last year and everyone bought it (minus Habs and some Bolts fans) only to find out who the real Bruins were this year? I do.

It just goes to show that on HF, it doesn't matter what you say it matters on how many people repeat what you say to people that don't bother to look too far into things.
You have over 9000 posts. Are you not discouraged?

Old
08-23-2012, 05:13 PM
Reverend Mayhem
1 for you, 19 for me

Quote:
You have over 9000 posts. Are you not discouraged?
I take solace in the fact that is far as critical thinking goes, I'm probably in the 97th percentile as far as HF goes. Not to get on my high horse or anything. You just got to maintain high self-esteem, admit when you are wrong, and play nice with others until they choose not to with you. Also, having a lot of free time on your hands help too.

Old
08-23-2012, 05:15 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
I don't think it's limited to us, it's the HF way. Columbus fans took a beating when it came to Rick Nash, the Oilers are getting heat about the Hall signing. Anytime something happens with your team it's you against the rest of the league around here.
Exactly.

Old
08-23-2012, 05:15 PM
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

Quote:

I just think its comfortable and easy to keep their misconceptions about the Canucks.

Like Luongo being egotistical. (more-so than any other goalie at least.)

Or Burrows diving. (when was the last time we actually saw him do that?)

When it comes to the Canucks around here, there's a certain mob mentality that rears its head pretty much anytime something negative/positive is mentioned about Vancouver around here. Whether its the city, team, players, it just seems there's always someone that has something to say about it.

And no, I don't see this with every (ANY) other fanbase. Some other fanbases get it bad, but none of them have accomplished anything CLOSE to what the Canucks have recently, and most of the stuff people say about their team is actually true, if obnoxious.

I used to get sick of the blatant lies and troll posts regarding the Canucks. Now? **** it. Just more to rub in their faces if we ever do bring home Lord Stanley.

/rant over

Old
08-23-2012, 05:21 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

My favorite is when someone is going to some what compliment a Canuck & they say:

"I hate the Canucks, their players & their fan base...... but common Daniel Sedin doesn't dive!"

its like thanks for that.... don't know why you hating us needs to be mentioned

Old
08-23-2012, 05:25 PM
Reverend Mayhem
1 for you, 19 for me

A lot of it actually comes from inside. Other fans will repeat what is said by our own fans. We have a lot of fans. Some bright, some not so bright. Some posts taken out of context, whatever.

I do however, remember when one poster said this interview with Ryan Kesler (at 3:32 it starts) and the words this poster used to describe the interview Kesler had was "arrogant". In an interview that has the phrase: "It's all about the team right now."

Old
08-23-2012, 05:28 PM
Al Swearengen
Smug Nation National

Quote:
I take solace in the fact that is far as critical thinking goes, I'm probably in the 97th percentile as far as HF goes. Not to get on my high horse or anything. You just got to maintain high self-esteem, admit when you are wrong, and play nice with others until they choose not to with you. Also, having a lot of free time on your hands help too.
Pretty much my exact MO. I guess if I didn't like being frustrated, I wouldn't do a lot of the things that I do.

Old
08-23-2012, 05:30 PM
Kbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
Why?

He has a contract. Admittedly it is a cap circumvention contract. But it is NHL approved. His cap hit is 5.33 million. Even if there is a clawback, it would only make his contract even more cap effective.
There's a couple problems that could arise from a change in the CBA.

What if the league introduces something where there's still a cap hit if a player retires due to something that isn't injury related?

What if sending 1-way contracts to the minors doesn't eliminate the cap hit?

Anyway, I'm just a Leafs fan that was checking to see if there are any new rumours cuz the threads in the trade board are gone now. Personally, I'm a Leafs fan that thinks Luongo does get underrated but I also don't believe in gutting the team for one player.

Old
08-23-2012, 05:32 PM
Al Swearengen
Smug Nation National

Quote:
A lot of it actually comes from inside. Other fans will repeat what is said by our own fans. We have a lot of fans. Some bright, some not so bright. Some posts taken out of context, whatever.

I do however, remember when one poster said this interview with Ryan Kesler (at 3:32 it starts) and the words this poster used to describe the interview Kesler had was "arrogant". In an interview that has the phrase: "It's all about the team right now."

The look on his face when he says "and to be in this situation with this team..." tells the whole story to me. Guy loves his teammates, loves his team.

Old
08-23-2012, 05:33 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbs View Post
What if the league introduces something where there's still a cap hit if a player retires due to something that isn't injury related?
Why would owners vote to hurt their own teams? That doesn't save them money, it makes it harder for them to operate and gives a ton of leverage to players late in their deals. I don't see it.

Old
08-23-2012, 05:36 PM
vanwest

There's a poll on the main boards as to whether Fleury or Luongo is the better playoff goalie and most are rating Luongo better and there are even many positive comments. Now if I started a 'What would you trade for Luongo' thread I'm sure the posts would switch 180 degrees. Most fan bases (including our own) overvalue our players. But if I see Clarke MacArthur or Bozak in one more Luongo thread I think I'll lose it!

Old
08-23-2012, 05:38 PM
Kbs

Quote:
Why would owners vote to hurt their own teams? That doesn't save them money, it makes it harder for them to operate and gives a ton of leverage to players late in their deals. I don't see it.
I'll admit that I don't see that one being very likely. It's more-so the second suggestion that I see being a possibility because I don't think the union likes how players like Redden and Finger get sent down to the minors mainly because their cap hits are high.

Old
08-23-2012, 05:59 PM
Reverend Mayhem
1 for you, 19 for me

Quote:
That is essentially what a 35+ contract is anyway. One of the things I think is fine with CBA.

Old
08-23-2012, 06:11 PM
billvanseattle

Quote:

Anyway, I'm just a Leafs fan that was checking to see if there are any new rumours cuz the threads in the trade board are gone now. Personally, I'm a Leafs fan that thinks Luongo does get underrated but I also don't believe in gutting the team for one player.
What team????

Yeah,I know its in bad taste but I couldn't resist. Been a leaf fan for almost 50 years .... and they have seldom been a contender for a long time. Frustrating.

The problem the leafs have is the Kessel trade gutted the team ...

Old
08-23-2012, 06:27 PM
serge2k
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
There's a poll on the main boards as to whether Fleury or Luongo is the better playoff goalie and most are rating Luongo better and there are even many positive comments. Now if I started a 'What would you trade for Luongo' thread I'm sure the posts would switch 180 degrees. Most fan bases (including our own) overvalue our players. But if I see Clarke MacArthur or Bozak in one more Luongo thread I think I'll lose it!
Nah, just wait. If Luongo somehow stays and becomes the #1 again then all those posts will switch back to how awful he is.

Old
08-23-2012, 06:27 PM
SunshineRays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
When did Gudbranson become a possibility. Is there an actual rumor with a source? Or just Vancouver fans speculating?
I believe it was my earlier post. There isn't even a rumor, so definitely no source. I was posing a 'hypothetical' based on Gillis's history. I really don't mean to offend Panther fans, def wasn't my intention. There is zero information out there, so I was just posing a question.

Old
08-23-2012, 09:05 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:

I guarantee that every existing contract will be grandfathered in. The may clawback money, but they would not risk changing retirements, etc. Too many teams would be adversely affected.

Doesn't really matter to you, as he won't be going to the Leafs anyway.

Old
08-24-2012, 12:36 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
I guarantee that every existing contract will be grandfathered in. The may clawback money, but they would not risk changing retirements, etc. Too many teams would be adversely affected.

Doesn't really matter to you, as he won't be going to the Leafs anyway.
I agree with you whole post, although, i wouldn't be so sure about the bolded.

Old
08-24-2012, 01:03 PM
NYVanfan

Quote:
its not just HF

i took my 6 YO kid to hockey camp this year and he wore his Nux jersey ..more than once he got "Canucks??" with a look of semi-disgust ...this was not just from kids (older), but a couple adults too. By the way, this is in NYC ...a town with no reason for fanbase animosity. The smear-job done by the media after last year, as exemplified by Mr Milbury, was no imaginary thing...

Closed Thread