HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Football > Fantasy Football

Who are your big sleepers for the year??

Old
08-21-2012, 06:05 PM
BGDDYKWL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk
Ron Rivera thinks Greg Olsen could put up Gronk/Graham-type numbers

I don't know about those type of numbers, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him approach 1,000 yards. Shockey is out, and they still don't have a legit #2. Olsen should get a lot of looks, and should be available pretty late.
Saw this on rotoworld today. Color me skeptical. Like you said I wouldn't be shocked to see him put up 800-900 and 8-9 say, but he ain't doing what Graham and Gronk did. For people who buy into this it's certainly worth taking him as a backup as he's probably ranked around 15, but to me I'd take the top 8 over him without question.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 06:16 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
Saw this on rotoworld today. Color me skeptical. Like you said I wouldn't be shocked to see him put up 800-900 and 8-9 say, but he ain't doing what Graham and Gronk did. For people who buy into this it's certainly worth taking him as a backup as he's probably ranked around 15, but to me I'd take the top 8 over him without question.
I drank the cool-aid on Olsen last year, not gonna do it again this time..Shockey or not...

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 06:10 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Lafell is good, but I think Olsen will be targeted more. Chud likes his TEs. Still, 8-900 and 8-9TDs is a pretty damn good season for a TE.

I drank the cool-aid on Pettigrew last year and he let me down. Of course, I also drafted Gronk then foolishly dropped him for Lance Kendricks when he was the best new thing. Maybe I just suck at judging TEs.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:44 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Lafell is good, but I think Olsen will be targeted more. Chud likes his TEs. Still, 8-900 and 8-9TDs is a pretty damn good season for a TE.

I drank the cool-aid on Pettigrew last year and he let me down. Of course, I also drafted Gronk then foolishly dropped him for Lance Kendricks when he was the best new thing. Maybe I just suck at judging TEs.
hahahahaha....that sucks man! dropping Gronk would haunt me at night!

Old
08-23-2012, 11:42 AM
Snipeshow

Pierre Garçon was always solid on the Colts. Should have a good season with RG3.

Also, sounding like a broken record here but if Austin Collie could just stay healthy he'd be a good option to have.. But he can't.

Snipeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 10:02 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipeshow View Post
Pierre Garçon was always solid on the Colts. Should have a good season with RG3.

Also, sounding like a broken record here but if Austin Collie could just stay healthy he'd be a good option to have.. But he can't.
sad, but very true....

that guy is like paper thin....he needs to consider calling it quits before he actually gets his eggs scrambled permantly...rode him hard in 2010 so I am a backer of Collie, but dont want to have to hold my breath every time the guy catches the ball waiting for the inevitable crash...

Old
08-24-2012, 12:57 PM
Ziggy66

vCash: 131
Little and M. Floyd will be my WR sleepers this season...fingers crossed and maybe snipe P. THomas (RB) in the later rounds as he is listed way low on the draft charts.

Ziggy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 01:47 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Quote:
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk
Ron Rivera thinks Greg Olsen could put up Gronk/Graham-type numbers

I don't know about those type of numbers, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him approach 1,000 yards. Shockey is out, and they still don't have a legit #2. Olsen should get a lot of looks, and should be available pretty late.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
oh they do, his name is Brandon LaFell and I have been drafting him every chance I get...he will clearly be the Panthers #2 threat this year and put up 850 plus yards and 6tds!
Olsen IS going to have a good year. Teams are going to try and take away the deep threat in Steve Smith, leading to more catches for Lafell and more catches for Olsen.

Like Rotoworld has bee spouting, Olsen and Shockey combined to have a #1 TE-like year. Newton is going to look for Olsen this year, and with Olsen's size and route running ability he's going to a lot more plays drawn up for him.

If Olsen doesn't catch 65/70 passes for 800 yards and 8 TDs, I'll eat my hat.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 06:50 PM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
If Olsen doesn't catch 65/70 passes for 800 yards and 8 TDs, I'll eat my hat.
I do think that's very realistic. But that still puts him behind Graham, Gronk, Gates, Witten, Finley, Hernandez, Vernon, and possibly even Fred Davis. He's in that group with Pettigrew, Tamme, Celek, Cook, Gonzalez etc. I agree if you don't get a top TE he's not a bad guy to target late, but he isn't putting up Graham/Gronk numbers.

Old
08-24-2012, 07:22 PM
ShadowDuck
Captain Anaheim

vCash: 150
Just picked up Olsen to backup/replace Witten. I was surprised he was available in FA.

I like LaFell ALOT but idk how much opportunity he'll get in Carolina.

ShadowDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 02:10 PM
RedRenegade

What do you guys think about Cedric Benson? He's part of a stacked GB offense but I don't know what to expect out of him individually. Worth a late pick as a sleeper maybe?

RedRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 08:05 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Coming into the PS I was high on Ronnie Hillman. But he has been banged up this Pre-Season and surpassed by Lance Ball on the depth chart.

I really liked Doug Martin but he seems to be shooting up draft boards and off the sleeper list after being named the starter. He went in the 4TH ROUND in my draft today.

Other guys I didn't mention in previous posts: Greg Little, David Wilson, Alshon Jeffery, Titus Young, Jonathan Baldwin, Leonard Hankerson and Kyle Rudolph. (Rashad Jennings if MJD don't end holdout)

I'm not as high on Ryan Williams as other people are. He's coming off a torn patella which few people come back from. Cadillac Williams came back from it but was never really the same. I'd give him a year and have my eye on him for 2013.

This year I only like him as a very late round flier or a watch list guy.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 09:35 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRenegade View Post
What do you guys think about Cedric Benson? He's part of a stacked GB offense but I don't know what to expect out of him individually. Worth a late pick as a sleeper maybe?
I wouldn't touch him. RBs in Green Bay are basically there for pass protection, and he sucks at that. He also fumbles a lot. I think he'll fall out of favour quickly. Plus they seem to like John Kuhn for goal line handoffs.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 04:30 PM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRenegade View Post
I don't think he's very good, but there's no question he's worth taking. Starks is terrible, and if you take Grant out of the equation last year he still would've been a solid flex. I'd expect the same from Benson.

Old
08-26-2012, 04:35 PM
Alex The Loyal
Grimace Returns

Russel Wilson might be a good sleeper if he does indeed get the starting spot, which is looking pretty likely. Dude's been compared to Drew Brees and I've heard nothing but good things about him

Alex The Loyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 04:38 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Russell Wilson could have a great year.... he looks so calm, poised, and in control when he's playing. And he tore apart a first team defense, too.... He's very exciting to watch. I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a top 15 fantasy year.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 04:45 PM
Alex The Loyal
Grimace Returns

I drafted Wilson as my QB3 in a league where you can put a QB in one of the flex spots. And in the league, to keep a guy you have to give up a pick 2 rounds ahead of the round he was drafted in the year before. So when I drafted him in round 11, I felt super smart.

Old
08-26-2012, 09:30 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Safe to safe Doug Martin is no longer a sleeper, at least IMO. Went in the 4th round in my draft yesterday and in the 4th again today.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 07:19 PM
RedRenegade

Thanks for the input on Cedric Benson guys. I stayed away from him and just drafted Ridley from the pats. The positive stuff on rotoworld convinced me, hope he can keep it up through the regular season now.

Quote:
The Boston Globe believes the Patriots' backfield competition is "over."Stevan Ridley has racked up 152 yards on 34 carries (4.47 YPC) this preseason, while Shane Vereen has rumbled for a less impressive 81 yards on 23 totes (3.52 YPC), and left Friday's game against the Bucs with a left foot injury. Ridley is clearly the Pats' fantasy back to own heading into Week 1. Aug 25 - 10:20 AM
Quote:
Steven Ridley rushed 16 times for 87 yards and a touchdown and caught three balls for 17 yards in the Patriots' third preseason game Friday night.The Patriots' run blocking knocked Tampa Bay off the ball in the trenches all night, and Ridley capitalized with explosive, hard running, and excellent vision to identify holes. He worked with New England's first-team offense throughout the game, only losing third-down pass-protection snaps to Danny Woodhead. Through three exhibition contests, Ridley has 34 carries for 152 yards (4.47 YPC) and the three receptions. He stayed in for goal-line duty against Tampa Bay, as expected, and executed from two yards out.

RedRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 01:28 AM
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Quote:
Russell Wilson could have a great year.... he looks so calm, poised, and in control when he's playing. And he tore apart a first team defense, too.... He's very exciting to watch. I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a top 15 fantasy year.
Yeah I picked him just in case he has a Cam Newton like season.

raygunpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 12:51 PM
Alex The Loyal
Grimace Returns

Kendall Hunter could be good in keeper leagues. Could be Gore's replacement if he goes down or retires or whatever.

Old
08-29-2012, 08:44 PM
le_sean

Quote:
I would be pretty surprised. He's good, but he's not as good as Luck and RG3, and I highly doubt we will see three rookie QBs in the Top 15 for fantasy. Seattle will run the ball, and Rice will eventually get hurt. Throwing to Doug Baldwin and Golden Tate isn't exactly appealing.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 10:31 PM
Alex The Loyal
Grimace Returns

Wilson does have running skills though

Old
08-30-2012, 01:04 AM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
Eric Decker can put up huge numbers this year.

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 07:59 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Guys I've targeted include:
Donald Brown
Torrey Smith
Jon Baldwin
Darrius Heyward-Bey
Brandon LaFell
Nate Washington

Don't know if Cutler and Schaub qualify, but I think either has a chance to end up a top-8 QB.

And I really like Isaiah Pead, but I don't know that he'll see enough time to be worth rostering.