01-01-2012, 10:25 PM
Shape
Go Sharks :(

vCash: 500
#1 pick in 2012

Rice
Foster
McCoy

I think I would take Rice as #1. All are legit options though. Thoughts?

Shape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 11:01 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Cleary=Jerry Gergich

Those 3 plus I wouldn't be shocked to see Rodgers or Brees in the mix.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 11:02 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
Maurice Jones-Drew

King Forsberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 07:52 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

In one league I play in,. in which stats are a little skewed against QBs (4 pts per TD throw), the top 7 scorers were QBs and 9 of top 12. Don't know if this makes QBs more valuable or less, based on scarcity at RB. That league is a quasi-PPR league, and McCoy was leading the league until the final few weeks, when Rice and Foster both passed him.

Rice was 9th overall (behind QBs and Calvin Johnson), Foster 15th and McCoy 19th, behind guys like Jordy Nelson and Victor Cruz. Interesting.

In another league which uses a more standard-type scoring setup, RBs fared much better, with Rice, McCoy and MJD making the top 10. Still, the top 5 were QBs and the point drop off from 5-6 was incredible.

I think you gotta go Brees or Rogers, unless you go with the theory that they won't replicate this season's crazy success or that 2011 was an anomaly.

Old
01-06-2012, 03:52 PM
doug5984

Send a message via AIM to doug5984
Really depends on the size of the league, and score settings. If it's a larger league 12+ I'd go Rodgers or Brees- because on the come back to you it'll be slim pickings and you can always load up on mid level talent RBs to hope one breaks out.

If its PPR, 10 team league then I don't think you could go wrong with any of those 5 + MJD...which means I really hope I get the 6th pick next year.

doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:23 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Take a QB, especially when guys like Philip Rivers throw for 4500 yards and it's considered a bad year.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 05:26 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Rice, McCoy, Foster, Jones-Drew, and Forte IMO is the top 5. Of course, this is dependent on Forte being healthy to start the season which I don't think will be too long a stretch. The only caution with Forte is having a new O-coordinator.

QBs IMO are plenty enough you can get a good one in the 3rd/4th rounds, although I can definitely see arguments for Brees/Rodgers.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 01:29 AM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'd consider Rice, McCoy, Foster, MJD for the running backs and Newton, Brees, Rodgers, Brady for the quarterbacks and Megatron and Welker for the receivers as first round picks.

I'd personally narrow it down to Rice, McCoy, Foster, Brees, Newton and Rodgers for #1 overall. I see the argument for MJD, but you never know when a guy with such a heavy workload begins to slow down.

But QBs should definitely be in the discussion. Having a great QB is pretty much a necessity to have a top notch FF team.

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 09:47 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkson Falls Down View Post
I'd consider Rice, McCoy, Foster, MJD for the running backs and Newton, Brees, Rodgers, Brady for the quarterbacks and Megatron and Welker for the receivers as first round picks.

I'd personally narrow it down to Rice, McCoy, Foster, Brees, Newton and Rodgers for #1 overall. I see the argument for MJD, but you never know when a guy with such a heavy workload begins to slow down.

But QBs should definitely be in the discussion. Having a great QB is pretty much a necessity to have a top notch FF team.
The question is what the drop off for QBs and RBs are. I made the championship game in one league riding Matt Ryan, while in another I lost the semifinal (on a freaking tie) with a Schaub/Sanchez (after Schaub got hurt) combo. None of those guys are usually considered top notch QBs (maybe Schaub, but he got hurt). But, in the runner-up league I had McCoy/S.Jackson/V.Jackson/Maclin/Witten doing considerable damage, and in the other one it was Forte/C.Johnson/Lynch (OK, I got lucky here)/Maclin/Wallace/Witten.

The thing is Rodgers, Brady, and Brees can get you 30+ point games, but even the more average QB can get you 20+ point games on a semi-regular basis (even Sanchez put up respectable fantasy numbers...he just had this habit of every few weeks having a complete dud). So if you can get a reliable 15-20+ point RB instead of settling for a ~5-10 point RB in a later round, it evens out.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 04:48 PM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
The question is what the drop off for QBs and RBs are. I made the championship game in one league riding Matt Ryan, while in another I lost the semifinal (on a freaking tie) with a Schaub/Sanchez (after Schaub got hurt) combo. None of those guys are usually considered top notch QBs (maybe Schaub, but he got hurt). But, in the runner-up league I had McCoy/S.Jackson/V.Jackson/Maclin/Witten doing considerable damage, and in the other one it was Forte/C.Johnson/Lynch (OK, I got lucky here)/Maclin/Wallace/Witten.

The thing is Rodgers, Brady, and Brees can get you 30+ point games, but even the more average QB can get you 20+ point games on a semi-regular basis (even Sanchez put up respectable fantasy numbers...he just had this habit of every few weeks having a complete dud). So if you can get a reliable 15-20+ point RB instead of settling for a ~5-10 point RB in a later round, it evens out.
I agree with what you are saying, but every year the top RBs seem to change - whether that be from injuries, poor production, a guy stepping up, etc.

QBs though seem to be more consistent year to year. There are guys like Newton and Vick who step up, there is less change within the elite on a year to year basis.

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 09:40 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Cam Newton.

You get the QB numbers (which will probably improve) as well as a bunch of rushing TDs.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 09:08 AM
markrander87

You're all crazy if you don't take Foster #1.

markrander87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 02:28 AM
WalterHeisenberg

vCash: 322
1. Foster
2. Rice
3. Rodgers
4. Forte
5. McCoy

WalterHeisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 09:52 AM
Trap Jesus

It's come to a time where I wouldn't be against taking one of the stud QBs first. The RB pool is as weak as ever as the only absolute sure thing in AP is injured. Still some decent choices out there like Foster, Rice, etc., but you just know the top QBs are going to produce monster numbers.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:36 AM
Hot Carlson

I feel like the declining # of stud RBs makes acquiring one even more valuable if you luck into the top half of the first round. If you're picking 7th or 8th, I might take the top QB but if you're picking #1 I think you take Foster or McCoy and know that even when it comes back to you, there will be multiple QBs on the board capable of putting up big numbers (Stafford, Rivers, Romo, Eli, and maybe even Vick could all be there at #21).

Hot Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:05 PM
Shape
Go Sharks :(

As the season is approaching I would take Foster #1 no doubt.

Then Rice, McCoy.

Then I would like to grab an Eli Manning type in the 3rd after grabbing a WR in the 2nd.

Shape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 11:51 AM
ShadowDuck
Captain Anaheim

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post
As the season is approaching I would take Foster #1 no doubt.

Then Rice, McCoy.

Then I would like to grab an Eli Manning type in the 3rd after grabbing a WR in the 2nd.
Eli in the 3rd? You must be crazy

ShadowDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:56 AM
MSPGabe
Born & Bred In Maine

I'm in a 10 team auction, PPR league. TE's get 2 points for every 15 yards too.

I'd be shocked if Gronkowski isn't the top pick, money wise this year.

MSPGabe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 12:21 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

I think Foster, although my office uses some custom rules, QBs get 1p/25y instead of 50y, for example. So we heavily overvalue QBs, Ks and DEFs... In my league, Rodgers is 1st AINEC...

I think you can check NFL.com for fantasy info, and the ADP, and Foster is securely in the #1 slot.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 01:11 PM
Aquin001 on Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
I think Foster, although my office uses some custom rules, QBs get 1p/25y instead of 50y, for example. So we heavily overvalue QBs, Ks and DEFs... In my league, Rodgers is 1st AINEC...

I think you can check NFL.com for fantasy info, and the ADP, and Foster is securely in the #1 slot.
Isn't that normal?

Aquin001 on Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 01:26 PM
Layne Staley

Yeah 25 yards/ 1 point is standard.

A QB should be 1st. At the end of the year the QBs are the highest point scorers. Brady and Rodgers should go 1-2 in every draft IMO.

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 01:33 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Yeah 25 yards/ 1 point is standard.

A QB should be 1st. At the end of the year the QBs are the highest point scorers. Brady and Rodgers should go 1-2 in every draft IMO.
But the difference between an elite QB and an Good QB isn't as great of a difference between an elite RB and a good RB

King Forsberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 01:50 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Foster, Rice, or McCoy are all options, imo.

I'd wait to take a QB until rounds 3 or 4.

My strategy is: RB in round 1 (Unless you have pick, say, 6-12 or however big your league is, and then you take a QB or Calvin Johnson). In round 2 you take a QB that's slipped, or a great WR. In round 3 you can start looking at QBs like Jay Cutler, who is an established QB, but is somewhat of a sleeper this year.

WR after that, and then grab a #2 RB like Doug Martin and you're golden.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 05:37 PM
Snipeshow

I take Foster 1st and don't think twice. He'll be the best player in the NFL this season.

Snipeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 05:38 PM
Snipeshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingForsberg View Post
But the difference between an elite QB and an Good QB isn't as great of a difference between an elite RB and a good RB
Exactly, and that's why RB are always valued. This year more than years past I feel it's even more scarce. QB and WR look relatively deep after the top tier. RB, not so much. So many question marks and teams running a 2 RB system.

Snipeshow is offline   Reply With Quote