Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > ECHL and other Minor Pro Leagues

ECHL Top prospects for November posted

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2003, 08:49 PM
Holly Gunning

vCash: 500
ECHL Top prospects for November posted

Again we concentrated on those under 24, unless they were rookies.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=6456

Comments and questions are welcomed.

Old
12-03-2003, 01:45 AM
Edler Von Gud

Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyG
Again we concentrated on those under 24, unless they were rookies.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=6456

Comments and questions are welcomed.
How come the Inferno players continue to get ignored? They have one of the best teams in the ECHL, and are full of some Canuck draft picks who are doing good, namely Tim Smith, Brandon Nolan, Rob McVicar, and Jesse Schultz. They all fit you're critera of being under 24, infact 3 of them are rookies. Just curious why none of them were mentioned at all?

Old
12-03-2003, 02:58 AM
Holly Gunning

Well, for my portion, I start with the rookie scoring leaders, overall scoring leaders, defensemen scoring leaders and goaltending leaders lists. I pick players off those lists, making sure to include enough guys from each position. I look at more info on each to make sure they are valid choices. These players you mention just aren't at the top of those lists. Compare their numbers with those that do make the list, they are just below. McVicar's numbers are far below, actually. Schultz has only 8 points in 13 games. Nolan has 8 points in 7 games, which is good, but didn't play enough at this level to be considered. Tim Smith did just miss the list (he's the non-rookie of the bunch).

November-specific stats, and actual game play mattered too. I've seen Columbia but wasn't blown away by any of these yet.

I'm glad someone is getting mad at the list though, it means people are reading it!

Old
12-03-2003, 03:06 AM
Holly Gunning

Oh, I forgot to mention, if a guy is on the list one month, he won't be on it the following month, unless under exceptional circumstances. Just trying to spread out the props.

Last edited by Holly Gunning: 12-03-2003 at 03:22 AM.
Old
12-03-2003, 01:03 PM
Edler Von Gud

Quote:
Well, for my portion, I start with the rookie scoring leaders, overall scoring leaders, defensemen scoring leaders and goaltending leaders lists. I pick players off those lists, making sure to include enough guys from each position. I look at more info on each to make sure they are valid choices. These players you mention just aren't at the top of those lists. Compare their numbers with those that do make the list, they are just below. McVicar's numbers are far below, actually. Schultz has only 8 points in 13 games. Nolan has 8 points in 7 games, which is good, but didn't play enough at this level to be considered. Tim Smith did just miss the list (he's the non-rookie of the bunch).

November-specific stats, and actual game play mattered too. I've seen Columbia but wasn't blown away by any of these yet.

I'm glad someone is getting mad at the list though, it means people are reading it!
Fair enough, just curious cause Nolan, Schultz, McVicar are all 20/21, younger than most of the guys you had mentioned and doing pretty good as well. I just feel they should get more precident over some of the names mentioned cause they were drafted by an NHL team and seemingly could have a future in the NHL. A lot of the players you mentioned also came out of college which gives them a big advantage over guys like Nolan, Schultz, McVicar, etc who came out of junior hockey. So obviously undrafted college players are gonna put up better stats as they are better prepared for professional hockey. I feel this list should reflect the Top 15 prospects in terms of NHL potential and focus on prospects who were drafted and have potential to move up through a teams system. Just my opinion that's all, I'm sure you know the ECHL better then me though, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on the list.

The Inferno are doing really good so far this year, lead by Tim Smith who had a great finish to last year and lead the Inferno in the playoffs. I think the Inferno will win it all this year, as hard is it to believe, they are even better this year than last year. They are deeper up front with the additions of NOlan and Schultz, and the improved play of Cabana. The defense could get better if the Moose ever get healthy again and they send down a guy like Vydarney. They also have two very good goalies, McVicar seems to be getting better as the year goes on, and Blackburn has been pretty solid all year so far.

Old
12-03-2003, 01:28 PM
Holly Gunning

It is a top performances list, not a top potential list. What you're describing is an entirely different concept. It would be great to do a top potential list, and maybe that could be done at the end of the year, but right now we haven't seen enough of the candidates to do that. I'm happy to discuss someone's potential here on the boards of course. I'll see Columbia again on Sunday and I'll post my thoughts.

Guys who are drafted by NHL teams are already ranked on their team pages, so it seems like if we ranked only drafted guys it might be too much duplication. Maybe not, maybe it would be worthwhile. Other opinions?

(edited for grammar)

Last edited by Holly Gunning: 12-04-2003 at 11:00 AM.
Old
12-04-2003, 10:48 AM
Edler Von Gud

Quote:
It is a top performances list, not a top potential list. What you're describing is an entirely different concept. It would be great to do a top potential list, and maybe that could be done at the end of the year, but right now we have seen enough of the candidates to do that. I'm happy to discuss someone's potential here on the boards of course. I'll see Columbia again on Sunday and I'll post my thoughts.

Guys who are drafted by NHL teams are already ranked on their team pages, so it seems like if we ranked only drafted guys it might be too much duplication. Maybe not, maybe it would be worthwhile. Other opinions?
Okay, thanks for clearing that up. I was thinking the Top 15 prospects was relating to potential, cause I usually relate the word prospect with potential.

I'll be interested, and look forward to seeing you're thoughts on the game Sunday. hopefully Nolan, Schultz, and Smith all score hatricks, McVicar gets a shutout, and Marc Andre Roy gets in 5 fights.

Closed Thread