HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Brendan Ranford invited to Montreal Canadiens training camp.

Old
08-24-2012, 04:48 PM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
you mean a player like DD ?
OK, that's one.

How many others?

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 04:56 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
OK, that's one.

How many others?
probably no others, since mike keenan doesn't fit in your arbitrary 20 year time line and cedrick desjardins has only few nhl games.
Yea let's not give invites to players not under contract or un-drafted and berate fans who can see an optimistic side to the habs giving out invites to young prospects, since it doesn't satisfy your arbitrary set goals of having 1+ successful un-drafted (edit or unsigned and drafted) players in past 20 years.

Last edited by uiCk: 08-24-2012 at 05:17 PM.
uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 05:16 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
so what was the point of that question in the first place? since i can assume you can use google properly or knew the answer? there must be a point to asking that question other then simple curiosity? is it that it's a bad thing that the habs give out invites to unproven, unsigned or undrafted players? or is it a bad thing that posters take this news as a positive?
i'm sure your point wasnt to state that the probability of such an event to lead to a successful NHL player is very slim, because that's a given.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 05:37 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
so what was the point of that question in the first place? since i can assume you can use google properly or knew the answer? there must be a point to asking that question other then simple curiosity? is it that it's a bad thing that the habs give out invites to unproven, unsigned or undrafted players? or is it a bad thing that posters take this news as a positive?
i'm sure your point wasnt to state that the probability of such an event to lead to a successful NHL player is very slim, because that's a given.
Some of us post on these forums because we have an intellectual interest in the operations of professional and how it functions at the different levels.

I just double checked my posts. Nowhere did I say that it was a "bad thing" that the Habs invite players to camp.

Old
08-24-2012, 06:54 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your Canadiens View Post
Quite confident that if Slepyshev had any interest in playing in North America, he'd have been drafted.

As for Ranford, I'd lay off his quote in the article. Maybe he didn't quite say the right thing, but with his numbers, I'm sure he'll get multiple invites. Don't blame him for thinking Montreal isn't the best fit. There's a huge logjam on the wings in Hamilton, and a team need is for size, not a 5'10" winger, so he may not see an opportunity for himself here.
I would say size on the wings is a very low priority for the Canadiens.

With Cole, Paccioretty, Bourque, Prust, Moen, Armstrong and possibly Eller, they are quite bulky on the wings.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 07:28 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Haha someone got zinged. Nice post and DD was the perfect answer.
Was there anyone else is amazing....

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 09:05 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
I would say size on the wings is a very low priority for the Canadiens.

With Cole, Pacioretty, Bourque, Prust, Moen, Armstrong and possibly Eller, they are quite bulky on the wings.
For now. Top 6 for the future? Only Max is left.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 12:11 AM
double5son10

Quote:
OK, that's one.

How many others?
Mike Keane, Brian Skrudland, Sylvain Lefebvre, Stephane Lebeau were all undrafted camp invites that made the Habs. I like these invite moves. Looking for diamonds in the rough through undrafted FAs and properly scouting Quebec recall Serge Savard's days as GM.

double5son10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 12:42 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by double5son10 View Post
Mike Keane, Brian Skrudland, Sylvain Lefebvre, Stephane Lebeau were all undrafted camp invites that made the Habs. I like these invite moves. Looking for diamonds in the rough through undrafted FAs and properly scouting Quebec recall Serge Savard's days as GM.
Good finds, but unfortunately, the guy you quoted will find a way to ask for more, like if it wasn't important to invite those undrafted players... but yeah, good finds

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 01:35 AM
HatTricK09
(╯°□°)╯︵ uǝıɹɹǝɥʇ

vCash: 1801
Quote:
How many of these invites made the Habs in the last 20 years?
Didnt get an invite to training camp by Habs, but Josh Gorges went undrafted.

Doesnt hurt to give it a shot, we got nothing to lose.

HatTricK09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 07:45 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1380
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTricK09 View Post
Didnt get an invite to training camp by Habs, but Josh Gorges went undrafted.

wasnt that the guy who was once Captain of his junior team??

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 08:26 AM
S Bah

Ranford would be a good fit in Hamilton as long as he shows up in shape.That was the reason the Flyers didn't offer him a contract,not due to his game.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 08:29 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Ranford would be a good fit in Hamilton as long as he shows up in shape.That was the reason the Flyers didn't offer him a contract,not due to his game.
And the fact that he play(ed/s) with Bozon is a bonus.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 11:45 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by double5son10 View Post
Good post. Looks like it's one productive player every 3-5 years.

Last edited by DAChampion: 08-25-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old
08-25-2012, 02:52 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
There are many routes to the NHL, we shouldn't ignore any of them.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 03:03 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
There are many routes to the NHL, we shouldn't ignore any of them.
I know, but I was curious as to the odds of this particular route. double5son10 wrote a productive post above, from which we can estimate that we add one effective role player every 3-5 years.

Old
08-25-2012, 03:21 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
The following players have appeared in games in for the Habs that went undrafted or were not signed after being drafted and were invited to tryout.

Goalies- Yann Danis, Olivier Michaud

Defense- JP Cote, Frédéric St-Denis, Raphael Diaz, Brendon Nash, Francis Bouillon

Forwards- David Desharnais, Brock Trotter, Andreas Engqvist

Undrafted players on the Habs invited/signed by other NHL teams, Josh Gorges and Rene Bourque.

Currently in the system as undrafted FA's but haven't appeared in a NHL game for the Habs, Cédrick Desjardins, Peter Delmas, Robert Mayer, Alain Berger and Philippe Lefebvre. Since Desjardins is the current #3 on the team, any injury to either goalie and he will be another to add to the list. Maybe Delmas joins him in a couple years if things continue to progress for him.

The good thing about getting free players is while you might not very often see the results at the NHL level, they can help at the AHL level in different ways. Of course it's very rare that you end up getting a very productive NHLer ala Desharnais, but what a steal it ends up being when you do.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 03:30 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
The following players have appeared in games in for the Habs that went undrafted or were not signed after being drafted and were invited to tryout.

Goalies- Yann Danis, Olivier Michaud

Defense- JP Cote, Frédéric St-Denis, Raphael Diaz, Brendon Nash, Francis Bouillon

Forwards- David Desharnais, Brock Trotter, Andreas Engqvist

Undrafted players on the Habs invited/signed by other NHL teams, Josh Gorges and Rene Bourque.

Currently in the system as undrafted FA's but haven't appeared in a NHL game for the Habs, Cédrick Desjardins, Peter Delmas, Robert Mayer, Alain Berger and Philippe Lefebvre. Since Desjardins is the current #3 on the team, any injury to either goalie and he will be another to add to the list. Maybe Delmas joins him in a couple years if things continue to progress for him.

The good thing about getting free players is while you might not very often see the results at the NHL level, they can help at the AHL level in different ways. Of course it's very rare that you end up getting a very productive NHLer ala Desharnais, but what a steal it ends up being when you do.
Desjardins should be an exception. He did beat the habs...

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 06:00 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
I know, but I was curious as to the odds of this particular route. double5son10 wrote a productive post above, from which we can estimate that we add one effective role player every 3-5 years.
Those are fairly good odds considering undrafted players come older (you don't have to wait for their development as much) and they are basically free. Its like having addition 5th, 6th and 7th rounders every draft.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 06:15 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
wasnt that the guy who was once Captain of his junior team??
Nope. Different guy.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 07:32 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Whether it's Montreal or not, there's only 7 rounds now. You do find gems that are undrafted. And it only takes one. 2 players last year played a significant role with their respective team without being drafted in Matt Read and Jason Garrison and I surely forget others. And you add Desharnais in the mix.

That's the reason why I don't get the Habs thought process in regard to their dev camps....I would invite a lot more people. I know, it's not my money. And I also understand that the Habs have a problem that other teams don't have......most of their draftees DO make it in the pros which reduces the numbers of places available. But again, it only takes one......I still believe that one of the weakness our scouting group has (they're great but human so not perfect) is that for the number of scouts and the time we spend in the US, I believe we had to find the Matt Read and the Jason Garrison of this world. And not end up with Brock Trotter instead. We need to do better in that department.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 08:09 AM
Bobby G

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Now I have a very good idea why this Ranford kid was not signed by the Flyers and then passed over by everyone in the draft.

He has a serious attitude problem. He is given a chance by the Habs and he replies with a "we'll see"?

Send this idiot down the road to nowhere.
Taking time to think over a MASSIVE career move = serious attitude problems and an idiot.

Ok pal.

This is whats wrong with HF. Way too many people who have no clue about anything, vehemently posting their uniformed thoughts like they know something

Bobby G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 09:03 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Whether it's Montreal or not, there's only 7 rounds now. You do find gems that are undrafted. And it only takes one. 2 players last year played a significant role with their respective team without being drafted in Matt Read and Jason Garrison and I surely forget others. And you add Desharnais in the mix.

That's the reason why I don't get the Habs thought process in regard to their dev camps....I would invite a lot more people. I know, it's not my money. And I also understand that the Habs have a problem that other teams don't have......most of their draftees DO make it in the pros which reduces the numbers of places available. But again, it only takes one......I still believe that one of the weakness our scouting group has (they're great but human so not perfect) is that for the number of scouts and the time we spend in the US, I believe we had to find the Matt Read and the Jason Garrison of this world. And not end up with Brock Trotter instead. We need to do better in that department.
I think pretty much everyone was interested in Matt Read but he chose the Flyers. As for Garrison, he's a real late, late bloomer...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 11:00 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

You can't invite countless people. There are only 50 contracts allowed at any given time and a finite number of development spots and ice time in Hamilton. The team has to make choices and those choices will necessarily lead to a batting average below 1.000 .

Last edited by DAChampion: 08-26-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old
08-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
You can't invite countless people. There are only 50 contracts allowed at any given time and a finite number of development spots and ice time in Hamilton. The team has to make choices and those choices will necessarily lead to a batting average below 1.000 .
An invite doesn't mean they'll sign him. So yeah, they can invite whoever they want.

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote