HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT Thread Part II: "We Successfully Made it Past Part I" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
08-24-2012, 10:30 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin Steve View Post
Funny you mention that :
I have two degrees, one in Mechanical Engineering, and one in Industrial Design. What I want to do in life is be a toy designer, specifically in nerf guns. While doing my ID degree I took a concentration in Product Design, which I wanted to become my entry level career path. My brother, a software engineer, worked at a company who had a product management group and wanted an intern, so I became an intern for them. After the internship was over, I decided to look into PM since I really enjoyed my time there. Heres what you should know about PM:
Employers dont really hire entry level PMs. They lean towards people with 5-10 years experience in QA/UX design to assume the positions.
That of course didnt really stop me from searching, and in some cases I did find openings for jr PMs, but the competition is really high.
Another thing I've come across is that employers right now are learning that hiring business minded PMs is not the best way to run their company. They are changing from that and are hiring more technical people, people who for example know what an API is. The reason being is that as a PM you will be meeting with QA teams/Software Engineer teams/UX teams/ upper management. Three of those four teams will be tech savvy, and to communicate with them better its better if you understand the lingo and can (very simply) diagram/program it out for them. Being a non technical PM gives those teams another guy standing around them asking "whats with xyz, can we send it to qa yet?" , which gets annoying - they already have those guys with upper management.
Im not trying to get you out of the field, Im just giving you a headsup in the way the field is moving.

Ill add more if I can remember any - Im still lookingfor PM jobs, but I've ended up (probably ended up, waiting for the offer) taking a product design job at Makerbot, which would help in my eventual PM search later.
That definitely makes sense, and my specifically marketing brain certainly puts me at a disadvantage in the field of product management. It's basically the lowest on my list of careers I'd like to pursue.

Thanks for all the info though! and good luck trying to get in there!

Old
08-24-2012, 12:36 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Arrive at my level

I need some help from my Rangers friends here

Old
08-24-2012, 01:10 PM
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Morrowind >> Skyrim >>>>>> Oblivion
this x10. i absolutely loved morrowind and still think its the best elder scrolls game. skyrim is still epic though. ive played like over 150 hours.

Old
08-24-2012, 01:11 PM
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
That girl has got some pipes.

She's also pretty cute.

There is enough masculinity in my ipod that I'm allowed a guilty pleasure.
i love paramore. no shame

Old
08-24-2012, 02:50 PM
Cresto
In the pantry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreiders Underwear View Post
LOL what? I'm pretty sure a guy shooting 10 people in the middle of NYC is considered terrorism. I doubt he did it by accident.
Terrorism has so many connotations attached to it. It's better to call it stress induced psychotic anger and inducement of fear motivated shooting incident involving a man and his sniper rifle than to call it and act of "terrorism" in the interest of the general public. Well, the general public that can't think for themselves anyway.

Old
08-24-2012, 02:50 PM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan McDonut View Post
i love paramore. no shame
Bro fists left and right.

Down with Zenith.

08-24-2012, 03:19 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

Dear God...

http://twitter.com/BRichards_1991/st...755072/photo/1

Old
08-24-2012, 04:36 PM
bettercallstaal
Custom User Title

vCash: 1120
I just got my first apartment today. Going to move in on Sunday. It's exciting and scary at the same time.

Old
08-24-2012, 04:46 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar View Post
Jeez. Del Zotto's calves are as big as my thighs...I need to gain weight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
I need some help from my Rangers friends here
Head up dude! College is NOT that hard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedwrister17 View Post
I just got my first apartment today. Going to move in on Sunday. It's exciting and scary at the same time.
Sick man, congrats! I can't wait to get out of my parents house. Living on my own at college for four years then coming back here has been a weird transition. Where is the new place?

Old
08-24-2012, 05:55 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Arrive at my level

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Jeez. Del Zotto's calves are as big as my thighs...I need to gain weight!

Head up dude! College is NOT that hard!
Haha man, DZ is a cool guy. And it's not college actually... My friend has 6 months to a year to live D':

Old
08-24-2012, 06:11 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Haha man, DZ is a cool guy. And it's not college actually... My friend has 6 months to a year to live D':
I'm sorry.

Cancer?

Old
08-24-2012, 06:26 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Oh man

I'm sorry to hear that

Old
08-24-2012, 06:31 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Arrive at my level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
I'm sorry.

Cancer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Oh man

I'm sorry to hear that
Ty guys.. She didn't tell me if it was exactly Cancer or not. I'm very worried and feel as if I could have done something

Old
08-24-2012, 06:49 PM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Does anyone know how all that youtube partnership stuff work? I've never really paid attention to my youtube other than just uploading videos and whatnot but recently i "revived" my youtube and IIRC youtube sent me an invitation for partnership long ago but i never bothered with it. Now i see so many people i know abuse youtube and get paid doing it so im interested to know how does all that work?

Quote:
Ty guys.. She didn't tell me if it was exactly Cancer or not. I'm very worried and feel as if I could have done something
Sorry to hear that. But if its (unfortunately) some sort of disease thats making this happen i don't think you could really could have done anything to stop it. (Of course i dont really know you so maybe there were factors involved so im just going on guesses) You have no reason to feel any guilt or sadness for something that was out of your hands.

Old
08-24-2012, 06:57 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Arrive at my level

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheSide View Post
Does anyone know how all that youtube partnership stuff work? I've never really paid attention to my youtube other than just uploading videos and whatnot but recently i "revived" my youtube and IIRC youtube sent me an invitation for partnership long ago but i never bothered with it. Now i see so many people i know abuse youtube and get paid doing it so im interested to know how does all that work?

Um, I had youtube harass me for about a year because my videos were getting 1000+ hits per 12 hours, and they were about airsoft guns and safety. They wanted me to join up, but at the time there was like, no info. Go for it though, like a bit of extra cash money.

Sorry to hear that. But if its (unfortunately) some sort of disease thats making this happen i don't think you could really could have done anything to stop it. (Of course i dont really know you so maybe there were factors involved so im just going on guesses) You have no reason to feel any guilt or sadness for something that was out of your hands.
I just feel like this: I wish i was there for her more. She's going to school now in Cornell (IDK why she would if she has an expiration date....) and I live in Buffalo, and I'm going to UB. Did I do the right thing by saying that I'd still talk to her and always be her friend? I'm shaken up pretty good well because my friend.
EDIT: it's not some STD or anything like that related.

Old
08-24-2012, 07:02 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
If you are accepted:
It's pretty simple. First, you set up a Google Adsense account, so that you can collect your money. It's a whole bunch of setting up to do (Name, address, tax info, all that good stuff.)

Then you enable revenue sharing on your videos. It allows Google (and Youtube) to place those ads next to some videos you've seen. (Be it the ones that play before the video, on the bottom of it, or to the side.)

You get paid a tiny amount for every time someone sees the ads, a little more (still tiny) if someone clicks. They're very strict with multiple clicks coming from the same IP address, so getting your friends to click isn't going to help you much

Obviously, all the content has to be your own. (Music, no use of movies, TV shows, etc allowed without special permission.

Old
08-24-2012, 07:05 PM
FromTheSide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
If you are accepted:
It's pretty simple. First, you set up a Google Adsense account, so that you can collect your money. It's a whole bunch of setting up to do (Name, address, tax info, all that good stuff.)

Then you enable revenue sharing on your videos. It allows Google (and Youtube) to place those ads next to some videos you've seen. (Be it the ones that play before the video, on the bottom of it, or to the side.)

You get paid a tiny amount for every time someone sees the ads, a little more (still tiny) if someone clicks. They're very strict with multiple clicks coming from the same IP address, so getting your friends to click isn't going to help you much

Obviously, all the content has to be your own. (Music, no use of movies, TV shows, etc allowed without special permission.
Tax info? what the hell
where do i go to sign up for this adsense account?

Most of the stuff on my channel is either video game stuff or hockey related stuff like "history will be made"

Old
08-24-2012, 07:17 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Tax info? what the hell
where do i go to sign up for this adsense account?

Most of the stuff on my channel is either video game stuff or hockey related stuff like "history will be made"
I think they have specific video game rules- if there's commentary over it, a montage, you're fine. You can't just play the game and not do anything else.

I don't know about the History Will Be Made ones.

Did they send you an email? There should probably be a link that tells you what to do. You have to apply for partnership first. It could take anywhere from a day to 6 months for them to accept or deny you. You should probably have at least 100K views, a few thousand subs, and make videos at least once a week.

There other thing might be that they want to monetize a specific video. You'll get money, but you won't be able to put a banner on your channel, have that logo above your videos, etc.

Old
08-24-2012, 07:24 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Arrive at my level

Quote:
I think they have specific video game rules- if there's commentary over it, a montage, you're fine. You can't just play the game and not do anything else.

Did they send you an email? There should probably be a link that tells you what to do. You have to apply for partnership first. It could take anywhere from a day to 6 months for them to accept or deny you. You should probably have at least 100K views, a few thousand subs, and make videos at least once a week.

There other thing might be that they want to monetize a specific video. You'll get money, but you won't be able to put a banner on your channel, have that logo above your videos, etc.
They wanted to monetize my airsoft videos. I used to do reviews with AirsoftGI's products (I asked them over the phone if I could talk to their head guy, head guy said yes.) So i got some money from it.

Old
08-24-2012, 07:54 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

And just a heads up. While yes, clicking on ads will get you more money, the standard is based not on ad views, but video views as a whole, meaning ad-block does not take away your revenue

Edit: My IB Chemistry teacher has a partnered channel for science videos. According to him it's about 1$ per 1000 views

Old
08-24-2012, 08:04 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Anyone have any ideas what I can buy with a $200 Amazon giftcard? Maybe recommend some video games?

Old
08-24-2012, 09:21 PM
Cresto
In the pantry

Quote:
Anyone have any ideas what I can buy with a $200 Amazon giftcard? Maybe recommend some video games?
I got bored so I browsed the entire amazon website for you and this is the best thing that I saw in my 20 minutes there. Enjoy. I would love one of these.

http://www.amazon.ca/Magical-Harmony...5861216&sr=1-4

Old
08-24-2012, 09:24 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
I got bored so I browsed the entire amazon website for you and this is the best thing that I saw in my 20 minutes there. Enjoy. I would love one of these.

http://www.amazon.ca/Magical-Harmony...5861216&sr=1-4
Does not compute.

Obviously, this is much cooler: http://www.amazon.ca/Magical-Harmony...861463&sr=1-10

Old
08-24-2012, 09:25 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Give it to me

Old
08-24-2012, 09:39 PM
FromTheSide

Quote:

Is there anyway to check if you have been accepted or not? I'm pretty sure they sent me an invitation long ago and i accepted (or got accepted) but like i said, at the time i didnt really bother with it and well..now i am

and yea for video game stuff its either montages or highlights (like MLG ESPN for example)

I have almost a million total views for my channel..but only 70 subscribers ()

EDIT - Don't know if it matters but in my setting it asks me if i want to allow Ads along-side my videos

Closed Thread