HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hockey cards

Closed Thread

Old
08-21-2012, 12:51 PM
TimtheDJ84

vCash: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobjoe1881 View Post
How much do you want for it and do you have a picture of it?
Well, money or trade, I'm willing. I can post a pic, sure.

Old
08-21-2012, 03:09 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Beckett Grading Services routinely attends card shows (they have a schedule on their site) and you can get it pre-graded with them so you have an idea of what it would grade out to. I did that initially, but it has to be sent out to Beckett for true grading which they take care of at these shows.

I've sent out cards to be graded to Beckett and it's no big deal. They are probably the most reputable service and the chance of losing cards is minimal. As with most services, the more cards you send out to have graded... the cheaper it is per card. It's tiered in that way.

If you have a gem of a card, it's not too big of a deal to just send one to get graded. I pulled a Sidney Crosby RC from the '05-'06 UD Ice set and had to send it out because it is an expensive one. Came back a 9.5 so I was happy.

Hope that helps.
They ask to place a value for the cards. How do I place a value for a card that's scarce and has no fixed value ?

They seem to want a bunch of forms filled out too.

Old
08-21-2012, 08:37 PM
IceCapsNation

Hey guys! Just started up my collection again after about 12 years. Started a thread in the Winnipeg board, and one of you fellow collectors pointed me to this thread. Love it!! Love having another people to discuss a hobby with!

I look forward to lots of discussion!!

Old
08-21-2012, 08:41 PM
IceCapsNation

Best card I received so far this summer is a Gabriel Landeskog young guns. It's not a Crosby young guns, but I was very pleased to receive it!

Old
08-21-2012, 09:02 PM
Clarky23

I recently bought a few different tins and my best cards were:

Cody Hodgson rookie (Elite Series)

Signed Brant Myhres (Flyer) (Pinnacle Series)

Sidney Crosby UD Canvas (UD)

Signed Dustin Boyd (BeeHive Series)

Marty Turco Game Used Jersey memorabilia (UD)

Devan Dubnyk Game Used Jersey Memorabilia (Stoppler Sweaters Series)

Brayden Mcnabb Young Guns UD Canvas (UD)

Brayden Mcnabb Young Guns (UD)

Leland Irvino Young Guns (UD)

Andy Miele Rookie (Elite)

Sean Couturier Rookie (Victory)

Jonathon Blum Used Game Jersey Memorabilia (New Breed series)

Brett Connolly Rookie (Victory)

Mika Zibanejad Rookie (Victory)

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins Rookie (O-Pee-Chee)

These were my best cards out of 3 different tins. I also got a ton of old OHL cards and some other old ones. Pretty good haul I believe.

Old
08-21-2012, 09:05 PM
Bruise Bros 2426

I wanna get an RNH rookie card.

Old
08-21-2012, 09:22 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
They ask to place a value for the cards. How do I place a value for a card that's scarce and has no fixed value ?

They seem to want a bunch of forms filled out too.
It's been a while since I had cards graded or even collected (5+ years) so I'm not sure. I didn't have that problem as I checked a Beckett Guide to get the value of the cards that I was sending out. If you have that scarce of a card, that's pretty good news for you as they tend to be quite valuable. You may want to call them to make sure or put an 'N/A' for that part?

I remember filling out a couple of forms too. I think it was only 1 form back then, but things could have changed.

Old
08-22-2012, 01:23 AM
RappinHobo
#1 Lehner Fanboy

Hey I've been thinking of starting a card collection up.

Should I go with Upper Deck or Panini?

Any benefits to either one?

Old
08-22-2012, 08:59 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
It's been a while since I had cards graded or even collected (5+ years) so I'm not sure. I didn't have that problem as I checked a Beckett Guide to get the value of the cards that I was sending out. If you have that scarce of a card, that's pretty good news for you as they tend to be quite valuable. You may want to call them to make sure or put an 'N/A' for that part?

I remember filling out a couple of forms too. I think it was only 1 form back then, but things could have changed.
I have a Malkin card/5 a Steve Mason printing plate that' 1/1 and then a Crosby/Lemieux dual jersey /25. That I remember. I think the Crosby/Lemieux one has a book value. The Mason card sucks cause he sucks.

Would be a lot easier if there was a credible grading service in Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RappinHobo View Post

Panini from what I can tell is a new set that just started recently. That's all I can help you with.

Old
08-24-2012, 04:57 PM
Kloparren
Hth

User designed hockey cards (design & upload)

A lot of people here have good design skills (I'm not one of them) so why not show them off. Every yr, I like to get the base set for Upper Deck Series 1 & 2 because it includes all the notable players and is pretty cheap for that many cards. But I always like to add the players who retire that yr and put it in a binder. Unfortunately, it's hard to find a card for a player from his last season and even if you do find it, it might not have much in terms of career stats and it will usually never show the stats from his last season unless it's released quite a few yrs later on as some sort of legends or OPC card.

So I decided to design my own for players who retired. I used photoscape because I don't have photo shop and Gimp is annoying to learn. They are a bit rushed but it's my first attempt so I wanna get them printed fast. I made them larger than the avg card (I plan to print these closer to the size of a 4 by 6 inch photo so these are larger than normal). I like to pack as much info in there as possible and keep the design fairly simple (though I will try more complicated stuff once I learn).

In the Lidstrom card, I found a png image of his autograph so added that in. The logos I found from the game directory of the NHL 2004 modern PC mod. Haven't yet done the back yet.

http://s14.postimage.org/osom1xyyn/L...m_Front_V1.png

This is a front and back I did for Staios.

http://s9.postimage.org/z77hn4vvx/St...ontandback.png

Next plan is to make one for Hagman and Pahlsson (left for Europe), Ethan Moreau, and Ian Laperriere (unless someone else uploads a nice one for one of them first lol). Also maybe going back and making some for my favourite Colorado players like Kamensky or Deadmarsh whose card from their last ever season I couldn't find. Lots of players who are current FAs will likely retire or leave for Europe even if there isn't a long lockout (Spacek, Sykora, Knuble, Jason Blake, Rolston, Turco, etc) so lots to make for me. Gonna print them on photo paper and glue them together.

Last edited by Kloparren: 08-24-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old
08-24-2012, 06:47 PM
CP31

Andrew Shaw Rookie Card

I got an Andrew Shaw young guns canvas rookie card in a UD 11-12 series 2 tin and I don't know The value. Apparently it's kind of rare because there were not that many Shaw rookie cards made, though I'm not sure if that's true. The only one I could find on ebay was $150 and I think that's REALLY far fetched. Does anyone know the actual value of this card?

Old
08-24-2012, 07:04 PM
Kloparren
Hth

There's one that sold on eBay for $30 and another listed for $100+ but that one is graded so ignore.

If I were you, I would keep it for a bit until he becomes a bit more of a household name maybe and then sell it.

It does seem like a rare card though, didn't see any on checkoutmycards.com

Old
08-24-2012, 07:06 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 50
I agree. Keep it for a while, he'll become well known. It'll be worth more then, or, more people will be willing to buy it. Both if you're lucky!

Old
08-24-2012, 07:07 PM
CP31

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
There's one that sold on eBay for $30 and another listed for $100+ but that one is graded so ignore.

If I were you, I would keep it for a bit until he becomes a bit more of a household name maybe and then sell it.

It does seem like a rare card though, didn't see any on
checkoutmycards.com
K thanks

Old
08-24-2012, 07:10 PM
LGB 26

Get Smitty to sign it.

Old
08-24-2012, 09:03 PM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCapsNation View Post
Hey guys! Just started up my collection again after about 12 years. Started a thread in the Winnipeg board, and one of you fellow collectors pointed me to this thread. Love it!! Love having another people to discuss a hobby with!

I look forward to lots of discussion!!
Nice, welcome!

Old
08-24-2012, 09:06 PM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruise Bros 2426 View Post
I wanna get an RNH rookie card.
If you buy a Victory one, it'll cost you a roast beef sandwich (cheap).

Old
08-24-2012, 09:09 PM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Quote:

My vote is for Upper Deck. They actually understand how to improve the hobby. Upper Deck produces the two best brands out there for your purposes...O Pee Chee and the regular UD brand. Young Guns is the best and can only be found in UD.

Old
08-24-2012, 09:12 PM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP31 View Post
I got an Andrew Shaw young guns canvas rookie card in a UD 11-12 series 2 tin and I don't know The value. Apparently it's kind of rare because there were not that many Shaw rookie cards made, though I'm not sure if that's true. The only one I could find on ebay was $150 and I think that's REALLY far fetched. Does anyone know the actual value of this card?
That's a good card that went up a lot during the playoffs. I think it will settle at like $30 bucks...around the same price as a little less than Landeskog. (Landeskog and pretty much all Avs of this current team are way undervalued).

I wouldn't call it rare, it's just solid because people love to collect playoff heroes, especially young ones. Jonathan Quick is anothe guy, albeit way hotter, who is like Shaw...not a highly touted guy so he doesn't have a lot of rookie cards and one playoff run he's now hot.

Old
08-24-2012, 09:44 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69

Yes I went out and bought this, but I got it for only 5 bucks because there's a light scratch on the back so it's "devalued". Like I give a...

also bought a pack and scored a Cam Fowler rookie card.

Old
08-24-2012, 10:40 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:

Go with the cards that look better to you. That is how I collect and I have never been disappointed. The point of a collection is to have items you enjoy looking at.

Old
08-25-2012, 07:55 AM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

The last 20 or so years cards have been so wildly mass produced, and there are so many ways of protecting those cards, that none of them will have any kind of scarcity value in the future. Anyone planning on living easy in their retirement years on any kind of sports cards made from the late 1980s onwards is in for a rude awakening.

Old
08-25-2012, 08:11 AM
wedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
That's a good card that went up a lot during the playoffs. I think it will settle at like $30 bucks...around the same price as a little less than Landeskog. (Landeskog and pretty much all Avs of this current team are way undervalued).

I wouldn't call it rare, it's just solid because people love to collect playoff heroes, especially young ones. Jonathan Quick is anothe guy, albeit way hotter, who is like Shaw...not a highly touted guy so he doesn't have a lot of rookie cards and one playoff run he's now hot.
I personally think it will go down when Shaw will settle as a third liner. Third liners are commons most of the time.

Old
08-25-2012, 12:23 PM
Bruise Bros 2426

I have a Magnus Paajarvi OPC RC. Hopefully he picks his play up this year.

Old
08-25-2012, 03:06 PM
punk_o_holic

My fav cards from my collection. Markstrom is my main collection. Nash,Norrena, and Boll collection slowed down for various reasons. Trying to start a Johnson collection going.

This below is the Black Parallel 1 of 1 version.

This below has Zherdev on the other side.

Other p.c.'s I tried to start. Sadly, Straka was released by the Jackets.
All 1 of 1's below

Some rainbows for the Blue Jackets collection

I'm a Oilers fan as well but Edmonton cards sell for to much but here is a nice Hall I landed in a trade. To bad it's not a Oiler card though.

Finally my 1 of 1 pulls.
From 3 packs(Plan was to buy 2 with cash but after I got nothing, I pulled out the Visa and out came this)

From 1 pack. After opening other stuff and getting nothing, I was tempted with a box of Enshrined. I had no money but again, I pulled out the Visa.

From 1 box. Another guy busted 3 boxes and got nothing so I picked up the last one.

From half a box.

Thanks for looking. Haven't had luck lately and my Visa trick isn't working anymore. In fact it put me down $260 on a recent product that came out. $260 doesn't seem to much but this is after I spent a lot of cash minutes before.

Last edited by punk_o_holic: 08-25-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Closed Thread