HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

OT Thread Part II: "We Successfully Made it Past Part I" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
08-24-2012, 09:57 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheSide View Post
Is there anyway to check if you have been accepted or not? I'm pretty sure they sent me an invitation long ago and i accepted (or got accepted) but like i said, at the time i didnt really bother with it and well..now i am

and yea for video game stuff its either montages or highlights (like MLG ESPN for example)

I have almost a million total views for my channel..but only 70 subscribers ()

EDIT - Don't know if it matters but in my setting it asks me if i want to allow Ads along-side my videos
I think you might be a partner, but you don't have Adsense set up. You have to do that first, and then link it with your YT account.
Almost a million video views, not channel views, right? as long as you have the views, you're good. YT doesn't care about subs that much if you're in the millions in views.

It might be that your entire account is authorized for monetization too. Basically, it means that you can automatically puts ads on your vidoes without waiting for YT to email you about one video. You'd be getting money, but can't take full advantage of partnership benefits. In your settings, do you have a partner settings tab, or something like that? Or is it a monetization tab?

Old
08-24-2012, 10:55 PM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
I think you might be a partner, but you don't have Adsense set up. You have to do that first, and then link it with your YT account.
Almost a million video views, not channel views, right? as long as you have the views, you're good. YT doesn't care about subs that much if you're in the millions in views.

It might be that your entire account is authorized for monetization too. Basically, it means that you can automatically puts ads on your vidoes without waiting for YT to email you about one video. You'd be getting money, but can't take full advantage of partnership benefits. In your settings, do you have a partner settings tab, or something like that? Or is it a monetization tab?
There's a monetization tab. It shows 4 categories. Guidelines, adsense association, terms of service and confirmation. All of which are checked and are basically green lit. It also says "Start monetizing your videos" Does that mean my account is good to go? But i still don't get where i check or how i get paid

Also for example lets say i did a Rangers season montage (and the original broadcast sounds are buffed out because of a song is covering the entire video) Is that acceptable under their rules?

and yup when i go to my channel it shows that i have 913,793 VIDEO views.

I do plan to get more subs, I just want to figure out the basics first.

EDIT - Found "AdSense Publisher ID: [my ID number]...So im gonna take a wild guess and say i have an account...i just don't remember it

Last edited by FromTheSide: 08-24-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old
08-24-2012, 11:01 PM
Cresto
Much .500

Quote:
Does not compute.

Obviously, this is much cooler: http://www.amazon.ca/Magical-Harmony...861463&sr=1-10
That's out of your price range

Old
08-24-2012, 11:18 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
There's a monetization tab. It shows 4 categories. Guidelines, adsense association, terms of service and confirmation. All of which are checked and are basically green lit. It also says "Start monetizing your videos" Does that mean my account is good to go? But i still don't get where i check or how i get paid

Also for example lets say i did a Rangers season montage (and the original broadcast sounds are buffed out because of a song is covering the entire video) Is that acceptable under their rules?

and yup when i go to my channel it shows that i have 913,793 VIDEO views.

I do plan to get more subs, I just want to figure out the basics first.
Try going to adsense.com. It's the same username/password as your gmail/YT accounts.

It says to start monetizing your videos. You're pretty much good to go, as long as your adsense is set up. They won't send you a check until there's $100 waiting for you, so you have plenty of time to provide them with your tax info.

After your adsense is ready, you click the start monetizing my video link and there should be a $ sign next to each video. There's a form that asks if all the content is your own. Make sure to be honest, especially now with their content ID matching.

As for the montages, I see 2 problems with them:
1. The video is owned by the NHL, MSG, or NBC (depending)
2. Unless the music is public domain, you made it, or you can prove you have permission to use it, you won't get paid for it either.

The montages will obviously be allowed to be up though. You just don't get any $ from that.

Old
08-24-2012, 11:19 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
That's out of your price range
But....it's so beautiful

Old
08-24-2012, 11:31 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
But....it's so beautiful

This is so beautiful actually

Old
08-24-2012, 11:33 PM
FromTheSide

Quote:
Try going to adsense.com. It's the same username/password as your gmail/YT accounts.

It says to start monetizing your videos. You're pretty much good to go, as long as your adsense is set up. They won't send you a check until there's $100 waiting for you, so you have plenty of time to provide them with your tax info.

After your adsense is ready, you click the start monetizing my video link and there should be a $ sign next to each video. There's a form that asks if all the content is your own. Make sure to be honest, especially now with their content ID matching.

As for the montages, I see 2 problems with them:
1. The video is owned by the NHL, MSG, or NBC (depending)
2. Unless the music is public domain, you made it, or you can prove you have permission to use it, you won't get paid for it either.

The montages will obviously be allowed to be up though. You just don't get any $ from that.
So despite it having a $ sign say..next to one of my parody "history will be made" videos, theres no point in trying to monetize it since i have no right to it, correct?

I actually found my way to the adsense site. I'm logged in now but apperently i'm supposed to make an "ad unit" and i have NO CLUE how to do that

It shows no earnings and all that yada yada but i dont see anything about having to give my tax info or such

Old
08-24-2012, 11:41 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
So despite it having a $ sign say..next to one of my parody "history will be made" videos, theres no point in trying to monetize it since i have no right to it, correct?

I actually found my way to the adsense site. I'm logged in now but apperently i'm supposed to make an "ad unit" and i have NO CLUE how to do that

It shows no earnings and all that yada yada but i dont see anything about having to give my tax info or such
They'll ask you to provide it at some point.

I don't think you have to make an ad unit. I'm almost positive that's for your own website, if you have one. Just monetize any videos you have to which you own all the content. (Although video game montages, walkthroughs, and commentaries are fine.)

Old
08-24-2012, 11:47 PM
Cresto
Much .500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post

This is so beautiful actually
"Now let me see the chair.... hmmmm.... not much lumbar support"
Any The Office fans around here?!

Old
08-24-2012, 11:47 PM
FromTheSide

Quote:
They'll ask you to provide it at some point.

I don't think you have to make an ad unit. I'm almost positive that's for your own website, if you have one. Just monetize any videos you have to which you own all the content. (Although video game montages, walkthroughs, and commentaries are fine.)
Well whats your definition of montage? I'd call video game gameplay + music as the sound to the video (instead of the original sound of the game) a montage. but would that still be appliable to "the man"?

I did a combo video and a combat challenge video for Batman Arkham Asylum/City...both got rejected for monetization
I guess it was because i had nothing other than the straight up gameplay to it?

Old
08-24-2012, 11:51 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Well whats your definition of montage? I'd call video game gameplay + music as the sound to the video (instead of the original sound of the game) a montage. but would that still be appliable to "the man"?

I did a combo video and a combat challenge video for Batman Arkham Asylum/City...both got rejected for monetization
Only if the music belongs to you. Or you're allowed to use it. Ie: I recommend looking up some YT users that make whatever kind of music you're looking for. Some will let you use it in a video for free.
Or use royalty free music.

Straight gameplay with nothing else won't be monetized.

Old
08-24-2012, 11:53 PM
Kreider
My name is Nils

vCash: 50
Quote:

100% correct

As for music, there's plenty of royalty free music you can use

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF93DE6E4474A1770

shameless plug for my fave tuber

Old
08-24-2012, 11:54 PM
Cresto
Much .500

does anyone here own a pub? These guys are talking about $$ and I have been contemplating starting up my own pub. Does anyone know how the business is like?

Old
08-24-2012, 11:54 PM
FromTheSide

Quote:
Only if the music belongs to you. Or you're allowed to use it. Ie: I recommend looking up some YT users that make whatever kind of music you're looking for. Some will let you use it in a video for free.

Straight gameplay with nothing else won't be monetized.
Basically, I need to go find music that nobody would give a crap about copyrighting huh? Maybe i should try some nickelback

Doesn't seem too hard to adapt.

Old
08-24-2012, 11:55 PM
Kreider
My name is Nils

When searching for music, the best thing you can do is see if it's on iTunes. If it is, don't use it

Old
08-24-2012, 11:56 PM
Kreider
My name is Nils

Quote:
Basically, I need to go find music that nobody would give a crap about copyrighting huh? Maybe i should try some nickelback

It's not music that nobody cares about

It's music from up and coming indie artists (not signed for a label), and by linking to their music, he is benefiting from the advertising

Old
08-24-2012, 11:59 PM
FromTheSide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar View Post
It's not music that nobody cares about

It's music from up and coming indie artists (not signed for a label), and by linking to their music, he is benefiting from the advertising
Where would i find such magical things?

Old
08-24-2012, 11:59 PM
Ih8theislanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
does anyone here own a pub? These guys are talking about $$ and I have been contemplating starting up my own pub. Does anyone know how the business is like?
I watch It's Always Sunny in Philly. I'm practically an expert.

Old
08-25-2012, 12:01 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:

Bipolar's suggestion is good.
Here's what you can try:

Royalty free music from various sites on the internet.
Search around YT and see if some people make music which they let people use in videos.
Make your own music
Public domain

YT kind of has a Shazam feature. It'll recognize any music in the video. And the ads around that video will no longer be yours. They'll belong to YT and the record label.

Old
08-25-2012, 12:07 AM
FromTheSide

Quote:
Bipolar's suggestion is good.
Here's what you can try:

Royalty free music from various sites on the internet.
Search around YT and see if some people make music which they let people use in videos.
Make your own music
Public domain

YT kind of has a Shazam feature. It'll recognize any music in the video. And the ads around that video will no longer be yours. They'll belong to YT and the record label.
Correct me if im wrong but didn't YT have some sort of feature where you can pick out a random song off their own personal playlist that you can put on your video? Or something like that.

Old
08-25-2012, 12:12 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Correct me if im wrong but didn't YT have some sort of feature where you can pick out a random song off their own personal playlist that you can put on your video? Or something like that.
That exists. But the selection is bad, and it doesn't blend with your audio. It'll replace it entirely.

Old
08-25-2012, 12:22 AM
FromTheSide

Quote:
That exists. But the selection is bad, and it doesn't blend with your audio. It'll replace it entirely.
Alright lets say..I put up gameplay of NHL13, but i mix it with some crappy song on youtubes list (although i DL the song from a different source and use it on my video manually and make the song sound very faint) Would that be acceptable or does it flat out HAVE TO have commentary?

Old
08-25-2012, 12:28 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Alright lets say..I put up gameplay of NHL13, but i mix it with some crappy song on youtubes list (although i DL the song from a different source and use it on my video manually and make the song sound very faint) Would that be acceptable or does it flat out HAVE TO have commentary?
I'm not an expert, but I'll say that as long as it's audible, it'll be fine.

Although I suggest looking around YT for music you can use, or looking around the internet for free royalty-free music. (Because people don't like listening to bad, and quiet music.)

Old
08-25-2012, 12:31 AM
FromTheSide

Quote:
I'm not an expert, but I'll say that as long as it's audible, it'll be fine.

Although I suggest looking around YT for music you can use, or looking around the internet for free royalty-free music. (Because people don't like listening to bad, and quiet music.)
Personally, I think outside from montages, Mixing gameplay with music is a stupid idea.

For example, You upload a walkthrough (you mentioned this earlier) and someone searches this walkthrough video. They are clicking to to get a guide and explaination not to listen to music...But thats just me i guess.

Are you allowed to upload gameplay if its a walkthrough? Or does that require commentary/music aswell?

Old
08-25-2012, 12:36 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Personally, I think outside from montages, Mixing gameplay with music is a stupid idea.

For example, You upload a walkthrough (you mentioned this earlier) and someone searches this walkthrough video. They are clicking to to get a guide and explaination not to listen to music...But thats just me i guess.

Are you allowed to upload gameplay if its a walkthrough? Or does that require commentary/music aswell?
I think of a walkthrough as something where you talk and say what to do.
Were you thinking of just showing one long gameplay clip and telling YT it's a walkthrough? Basically, it needs something besides just the game.

And for the music, I meant montages only, not walkthroughs/commentaries mixed with music.

Closed Thread