HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edmonton - Montreal

Old
08-25-2012, 06:29 AM
Thundermare

vCash: 500
Edmonton - Montreal

Considering that Edmonton needs defence and Montreal as plenty coming doen the pipe.

To Edmonton
Thomas Kaberle

To Montreal
Eric Belanger

Kaberle`s contract is bad and lower is value but does he still have enough to land a 4th liner? Both guys have an extra year to their contract tehefore it reduce the impact of Kaberle`s contract to a certain extend and after all this guy that was considered a PP catalyst just 2 years ago must still have some value

Thundermare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 06:32 AM
poetryinmotion

Nah, we have enough 4th liners and Kaberle can still give us about 40 points. He's going to be a good asset come deadline and it would be terrible to just get rid of him for nothing.

poetryinmotion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 06:37 AM
Thundermare

I get the point... but just hate how bad he is defensively... and his contract...

But I guess we are better with him...

Thundermare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 06:40 AM
theboss*

Deal

theboss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 06:54 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Not really sure what upside Belanger would have for us. He's just filler. Cheaper-than-Kaberle-filler, granted. And while I generally expect Kaberle to be rendered "filler" as well for us, I think there is still an upside to him that goes beyond that. If we have key injuries on the blueline, he's still a guy who can step in and put up some points. Like he did last season. He didn't look great doing it, but at least he can do it. I'd keep Kaberle for the "insurance policy" value he represents rather than move him in what is essentially a complete contract dump scenario like this one. For now.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 06:59 AM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundermare View Post
I get the point... but just hate how bad he is defensively... and his contract...

But I guess we are better with him...
Where is his money going to go? I get the frustration, but its not like there is a reason for us to dump his contract. Markov remains a question mark and Kaberle's contract, wile pretty bad, isn't really hampering us in any way. Better to pray he finds his Toronto form than dump him for an even more useless and unnecessary player in Belanger.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 07:05 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
I'd like to see what he can do first. Maybe work the second wave of the PP setting up Diaz for his shot (Markov-Subban obviously being the first wave). He's pretty brutal defensively and his soft nature might not be what Therrien appreciates as a coach, but if he regains his form somewhat, it isn't so bad.

Contract is not great, although it isn't a thorn in management's side right now.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 07:43 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
It'll be a short while before most Oil fans will be awake to properly castigate you for this idea, so allow me to serve as a poor substitute.

Edmonton, to the extent that blueliners are needed at all (which is much less than one might guess), needs actual quality blueliners, not warm bodies that happen to play the blueline position. Even though Belanger wasn't as effective over there as one might hope, his contract is not nearly as g-dawful as Kaberle's, and so there's really no reason for them to make this deal.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 08:34 AM
franfrey*

As an Oilers fan, I definitely wouldn't mind this deal.

franfrey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 08:46 AM
doubledown99

Do not want Kaberle's contract. No thanks

doubledown99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 08:47 AM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
It'll be a short while before most Oil fans will be awake to properly castigate you for this idea, so allow me to serve as a poor substitute.

Edmonton, to the extent that blueliners are needed at all (which is much less than one might guess), needs actual quality blueliners, not warm bodies that happen to play the blueline position. Even though Belanger wasn't as effective over there as one might hope, his contract is not nearly as g-dawful as Kaberle's, and so there's really no reason for them to make this deal.
As an Oil fan, I endorse Viqsi's assessment 100%.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 09:28 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Before getting rid of Kaberle for spare parts, I'd like to see how long Markov can stay healthy.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 09:44 AM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

The Oilers already have Petry, Whitney, J.Schultz, Potter, and Davidson, Marincin that can play the same role as Tomas Kaberle. As bad as Belanger was last season for offense he's still helped bring our PK to a respectable level and was very good in the circle. I don't believe Anton Lander is ready for a full time role in the NHL so this isnt a deal I would consider.

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 09:50 AM
zeus3007*

The Oilers probably have more need for their faceoff winning, penalty killing 4th line center than an over the hill defenseman who would likely be an injury reserve fill in.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 09:56 AM
kingdok

Why would the Oilers try to get better?

kingdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 10:01 AM
MikeModano9

Putting Kaberle on Edm wouldn't make them better.

MikeModano9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 10:07 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by the gazur voit View Post
How does this deal make Edmonton any better?

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 10:08 AM
kingdok

Why not? Some experience + 40 points at the D would surely help. At the very low cost of Belanger (who we know already know doesn't make them better). Such a low risk, mid-high reward type of trade. It's not like Oils needs Kaberle's money right now anyway.

Old
08-25-2012, 10:16 AM
victor

Quote:
Why not? Some experience + 40 points at the D would surely help. At the very low cost of Belanger (who we know already know doesn't make them better). Such a low risk, mid-high reward type of trade. It's not like Oils needs Kaberle's money right now anyway.
Edmonton has Petry, Smid, Whitney, N. Schultz, J. Schultz, Andy Sutton, and Theo Peckham at the NHL level, and players like Marincin, Fedun, and Teubert in the minors. As mentioned earlier - Edmonton could use experienced defenders, not sheltered offensive minutes guys. Rather keep Belanger.

victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 10:19 AM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Yea, that makes sense. Kaberle played almost 4 minutes a game on the 29th best PP unit. I'm sure he'll just stroll right in and be the #1 guy for the Oilers PP.

Old
08-25-2012, 10:22 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Interesting question, but not really relevant in the context of this particular proposal.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 10:26 AM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
No it wouldnt. He might get 40 points but he would still be -20 playing sheltered minutes. Plus, the Oilers are doing just fine with a #3 ranked PP. They've cut Barker/Omark and replaced them with Yakupov/J.Schultz.
The Oilers need quality even strength defenders which Kaberle isnt.

Old
08-25-2012, 10:37 AM
kingdok

Montreal is a different situation. I think Kaberle can do good in MTL and that's why they wouldn't never do a trade like this.

Smid and Schultz are obviously more important and better for the Oilers but covers different areas. Whit and Petry are ok and also important for the Oils for PP but aren't great players + injuries happens. JSchultz is a prospect and might need some sheltered minutes. Sutton should be the one in need of sheltered minutes actually. Peckham and Potter shouldn't be playing in this league.

Belanger is living his last contract. He's pretty awful now.

Old
08-25-2012, 10:42 AM
Pepin le bref

Maybe a proposal/player worth keeping in mind during the course of the season. If Markov prouves he is healthy and Kaberle's game gets back on track, he could become an interesting player for a team needing a PP QB. He remains an above-average puck-mover but needs to be paired with an above-average physical defensive D-man.

His contract is not that bad. 4,25 M$ for the next 2 years with the cap at 70,200,000$ represents ± 6% of the payroll...

Same could be said for Belanger. He might of had a down-year last year but he has been a fine 3rd line center in this league for over a decade.

Pepin le bref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 10:43 AM
victor

Quote:
Montreal is a different situation. I think Kaberle can do good in MTL and that's why they wouldn't never do a trade like this.

Smid and Schultz are obviously more important and better for the Oilers but covers different areas. Whit and Petry are ok and also important for the Oils for PP but aren't great players + injuries happens. JSchultz is a prospect and might need some sheltered minutes. Sutton should be the one in need of sheltered minutes actually. Peckham and Potter shouldn't be playing in this league.
FYI, Petry is arguably Edmonton's best defenseman.

Most minutes, hard minutes with Smid (2nd highest QoC next to Smid,) positive CORSI (shots for vs shots against.)

Quote:
Belanger is living his last contract. He's pretty awful now.
I'd rather have him in Edmonton, keeping Anton Lander working on developing his game in OKC

Edmonton had the 3rd best powerplay last season, and has Justin Schultz and Nail Yakupov joining the team. That, combined with the reports of Whitney's off season, mean that Edmonton doesn't need or want a player like Kaberle.

victor is offline   Reply With Quote