HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Will Flyers need both top tier centre and winger next season?

Old
08-23-2012, 03:15 PM
litflyersfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
fixed. He should be forced to play wing until his two way game changes. Put Schenn at 2C, he's going to have to regularly cover Crosby and other elite centers eventually, might as well start him now.
I agree with the first part. The second part not so much I hope Schenn can do an adequate job defending secondary scoring lines until Laughton is ready, Schenn isn't exactly known for his defensive prowess. Good thing we have Couturier for that.

litflyersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 03:24 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by litflyersfan View Post
I agree with the first part. The second part not so much I hope Schenn can do an adequate job defending secondary scoring lines until Laughton is ready, Schenn isn't exactly known for his defensive prowess. Good thing we have Couturier for that.
I guess it all depends on matchups, and who has last change. Couts and Talbot would be our primary shutdown C's, and ideally Giroux and Schenn's line would be placed to take advantage of another team's defensive shortcomings.

Either way, I don't think Briere should be playing Center.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 04:00 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Either way, I don't think Briere should be playing Center.
The only reason I do is for the longterm reality of our personnel. By the time Briere is done, Couturier is a 2C with ease and Laughton is a 3C.

If I know that over the longer term, Schenn is moving to a wing, I don't see much reason not to move him now, especially if Briere performs better as a center than a wing.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 02:56 PM
FlyingHigh13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromemaro View Post
Briere plays better in the center.
Sure he has in the past, but playing with G and Hartsy would be a good fit for him. Hartnell could clear space/garbage goals, G distribute, Briere snipe. I know thats oversimplfying things but Briere IMO should be able to/is talented enough of a player to adapt his game to play on that line and succeed.

FlyingHigh13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 05:02 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh13 View Post
Sure he has in the past, but playing with G and Hartsy would be a good fit for him. Hartnell could clear space/garbage goals, G distribute, Briere snipe. I know thats oversimplfying things but Briere IMO should be able to/is talented enough of a player to adapt his game to play on that line and succeed.
I am with you.

I know that everyone and their mom has Jake penciled in on that top line but if he isn't effective enough, I am 100% confident Briere can step in. What a great problem to have.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 07:56 PM
rban*

Reason I dont want Couts or Schenn immediately stepping upto the 2nd line is two fold:

1. I like depth and having two budding stars on the 3rd line achieves that

2. they're still kinda young for such heavy responsibility

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 05:14 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post

And I wish the Flyers would have given Semin a shot.

Giroux needs an elite finisher.

Nobody is gonna touch that. Really?

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 07:57 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
still dont understand this Voracek and Giroux pairing on the top line, their skill sets don't seem to fit. Voracek has a garbage shot and good playmaking abilities/size. Giroux is a natural playmaker with a solid shot. Why is everyone so hype about this combo? Explanation would be useful...think briere and Giroux would be better to go along with Hartsy
Because Voracek is a beast along the wall and with puck possession JUST like Jagr. He doesn't have a bad shot at all his accuracy is just horrible. It's reported he has been working on it this off-season so hopefully his shot got better. He is also a two-way winger that will help the defensive side of that line. Don't underestimate his speed and motor to work hard.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 10:16 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
So Holmgren should just hop on down to the Crosby Store and buy one?

Do you really think Crosby-type players are available for the taking?
The Crosby store! That made me laugh out loud.

Oh, the offseason.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 10:22 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
still dont understand this Voracek and Giroux pairing on the top line, their skill sets don't seem to fit. Voracek has a garbage shot and good playmaking abilities/size. Giroux is a natural playmaker with a solid shot. Why is everyone so hype about this combo? Explanation would be useful...think briere and Giroux would be better to go along with Hartsy
I don't want Giroux and Briere anywhere near each other because of their defence. I'm not sure where Briere fits in this year's team, for all the talk about his amazing playoffs, he sucked against Boston in 2011 and NJ in 2012. He's old, he's got a ton of mileage on his body and he's not been very good in the regular season. I can see him being surpassed by younger guys this year, assuming we have a season.

Old
08-25-2012, 10:26 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Between Giroux, Couturier, and Schenn, I don't know why they should be looking for a new top tier center anytime within the next 12 years.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 11:02 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Between Giroux, Couturier, and Schenn, I don't know why they should be looking for a new top tier center anytime within the next 12 years.
Feel free to add Laughton to that mix. He's still a prospect, but he was a first round pick and projects to be a Patrice Bergeron type if he pans out.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 11:49 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Feel free to add Laughton to that mix. He's still a prospect, but he was a first round pick and projects to be a Patrice Bergeron type if he pans out.
One of those 4 will either move to wing or be traded. It's an embarrassment of riches down the middle and we could trade one to fill a hole elsewhere.

Old
08-25-2012, 12:03 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
One of those 4 will either move to wing or be traded. It's an embarrassment of riches down the middle and we could trade one to fill a hole elsewhere.
I agree. Just backing up GKJ and pointing out how crazy our center depth is which is why this topic is ridiculous.

Old
08-25-2012, 12:16 PM
toughfighter83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
So Holmgren should just hop on down to the Crosby Store and buy one?

Do you really think Crosby-type players are available for the taking?

im not talking about crosby, im talking about goal scoring ready players, accept giroux, who else on this team has that? i mean you look at all these players they are not goal scorers, not matter how you look at it, briere, harts, simmonds, schenn, read, talbot, ruslan,

i mean what exactly on this team screams dangerous players?

rangers have scoring ready players like nash, callhan, gabrick, richards, halpern, kreider, stephan, pyatt, rupp, asham etc, they are deep in depth in scoring ready players,

i wish people would stop with fluke 2011 scoring season because they werent showing up in the playoffs which is why they got eliminated , it goes to show what this team is and isnt until they get more scoring threat players, that's capable of scoring goals.

this team does not have that.

toughfighter83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 12:43 PM
RespectTheCouts
He Eats Souls

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
im not talking about crosby, im talking about goal scoring ready players, accept giroux, who else on this team has that? i mean you look at all these players they are not goal scorers, not matter how you look at it, briere, harts, simmonds, schenn, read, talbot, ruslan,

rangers have scoring ready players like nash, callhan, gabrick, richards, halpern, kreider, stephan, pyatt, rupp, asham etc, they are deep in depth in scoring ready players,

i wish people would stop with fluke 2011 scoring season because they werent showing up in the playoffs which is why they got eliminated , it goes to show what this team is and isnt until they get more scoring threat players, that's capable of scoring goals.

Wut???

RespectTheCouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 12:44 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RespectTheMajor View Post
Wut???
That's why you don't take him serious. Only two players on that list are pure goal scorers and Kreider has yet to even go through an NHL to prove he can potentially be.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 12:47 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:

We ranked third in goals scored last season. Player's career highs in goals:

Giroux: 28
Hartnell: 37
Simmonds: 28
Briere: 34
Read: 24

Then there's developing guys like Schenn and Couturier.

Conclusion: you make no sense whatsoever.

Old
08-25-2012, 01:29 PM
toughfighter83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
We ranked third in goals scored last season. Player's career highs in goals:

Giroux: 28
Hartnell: 37
Simmonds: 28
Briere: 34
Read: 24

Then there's developing guys like Schenn and Couturier.

Conclusion: you make no sense whatsoever.
what if all those players struggle and team falls apart? i want answer to that question.

toughfighter83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 03:36 PM
Cyborg LeClair
14 28 10 16

vCash: 400
Quote:
what if all those players struggle and team falls apart? i want answer to that question.
Lavi would probably be out of a job?

Cyborg LeClair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 03:42 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
I don't get why you think the team will struggle. We lost Jagr and JVR(who really didn't factor too much into any success the team had). Jagr hurts somewhat, but why do you think the young players on these team will regress? All Giroux has done is improve every year, Simmonds had the time to shine and took full advantage of it. Hartnell is playing the best he ever has, and could replicate that performance. Couts and Schenn should both improve, but if they don't we still have the veteran leadership and player personal to get us to the playoffs.

Only way this team falls apart is with major injures, and they can even survive them with one major one in Pronger going down last year. This team is built for the now and the future, why don't you just enjoy the talented youth we have?

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 03:48 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:

This is not even logical. Let's just forget about the Flyers team that scored a **** ton of goals last year because you say they are not goal scorers? You mentioned Giroux as our "scoring ready" player, but first and foremost he is a play maker. Briere is capable of 30 goals, Hartnell, Simmonds, and **** if Read gets more time he could come close to that number.

You just act like the team last season was a mirage, but you can't deny the stats and most young players will only improve with time. Especially young players with the pedigree that Schenn and Couts have.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 04:14 PM
orangecrush8

Quote:

I would love to know how you came to this conclusion

Halpern, Krieder, Stepan, Rupp, Asham, Pyatt = Goal Scorers

BUT

Simmonds, Briere, Hartnell, Read, Talbot =/= Goal Scorers

orangecrush8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 04:16 PM
orangecrush8

Quote:
What happens if all the Rangers players struggle and the team falls apart?

You could ask that for every single team and the answer would be the same.

orangecrush8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 05:37 PM
Girouxtiful

Quote:
You could say that about any team in the league. What if Stamkos only scores 30 goals? What if everyone on Vancouver decides they're sick of the cold weather and moves to Ecuador? There's no answer to any of these questions.

And the Flyers scored plenty in the Pens series. You're a daft, man. I'm convinced you don't really watch hockey.

Girouxtiful is offline   Reply With Quote