HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[PHI] Scott Hartnell signs six year extension 4.75 Cap Hit, 28.5 million total w/ NMC

Old
08-23-2012, 09:38 AM
Haute Couturier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
His usual production is 26 goals and 53 points(almost) per season. He had one really poor season with all his off ice issues. He is a great locker room leader and plays with plenty of grit and an edge to his game. 4.75 is a pretty good price for a guy that will be playing top line minutes with our budding young superstar center. He most likely will come somewhere around the numbers he put up this year. 4.75 is especially good considering when he signed his other contract, the amount the cap has went up. Homer did a good job here.
I'm pointing out the fairweather nature of Flyers fans in regards to Hartnell. It was just last October when most fans viewed him as a lazy, bumbling fool who was overpaid at $4.2M. He has a career year and suddenly he's a great talent and future captain material that they needed to lock up long term. The next time he struggles you will see the same people applauding this deal turn on him.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 10:34 AM
DrHamburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
I'm pointing out the fairweather nature of Flyers fans in regards to Hartnell. It was just last October when most fans viewed him as a lazy, bumbling fool who was overpaid at $4.2M. He has a career year and suddenly he's a great talent and future captain material that they needed to lock up long term. The next time he struggles you will see the same people applauding this deal turn on him.
I am not sure anyone called him lazy could be wrong though. I never thought he was lazy at all. 2 Seasons ago he took a lot of bad penalties and wasn't producing points. I thought he cut down on a lot of stupid penalties this season compared to the ones before. But it doesn't matter anyway. Pair him with Giroux and he is going to have a good offensive season.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 02:54 PM
mavstar
No expectations

Quote:
Yep. Philly fans were willing to part with Hartnell for a bag of pucks last October.

mavstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 04:58 PM
VinnyC
trust in linden CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavstar View Post
Yep. Philly fans were willing to part with Hartnell for a bag of pucks last October.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...light=hartnell

Only if the Ballard-Hartnell swap had happened back then...

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 06:03 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 705
Quote:
I'm sure the fans that wanted Hartnell waived in October will forget about this supposed genius deal when he goes back to his normal production.
He's going to be getting paid based on normal production, not what he did last year.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 07:50 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
I am not sure anyone called him lazy could be wrong though. I never thought he was lazy at all. 2 Seasons ago he took a lot of bad penalties and wasn't producing points. I thought he cut down on a lot of stupid penalties this season compared to the ones before. But it doesn't matter anyway. Pair him with Giroux and he is going to have a good offensive season.
Hartnell was someone who was always out of shape so he was lazy in that respect. Hartnell still takes bad penalties. In fact he took more this season than last, but scoring 37 goals erases that I guess. For the record I like Hartnell and was someone who didn't want them to dump him last year. I just think the fair weather nature towards him is a joke. He goes from being hated to loved depending on what kind of season he is having.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
He's going to be getting paid based on normal production, not what he did last year.
Agree. I think the money is good value, but you know most felt he was previously overpaid. It's just comical to me that people are using this to pat Holmgren on the back when most wanted to dump Hartnell less than a year ago. You know they will go back to hating on him when he doesn't live up to their lofty expectations.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 11:24 PM
Garfinkel1

Terrible... Terrible... Terrible deal. Let alone the guy had one good year - cue the Cheechoo highlight real - playing along side one of the best NHL talent -- or if you prefer you can pull a prucha highlight real. The guys a bum. Philly fans are going to be crying murder about this signing in 12 months let alone 3 years-4 years. But as a Ranger fan I couldn't be happier/

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 11:54 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Old School

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
Terrible... Terrible... Terrible deal. Let alone the guy had one good year - cue the Cheechoo highlight real - playing along side one of the best NHL talent -- or if you prefer you can pull a prucha highlight real. The guys a bum. Philly fans are going to be crying murder about this signing in 12 months let alone 3 years-4 years. But as a Ranger fan I couldn't be happier/
I would like further explanation? Unless you are just joking around. The guy has a lot of talent and creates for himself, too. And yes... I am not happy as a Pens fan.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 11:57 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Disregard his other 60+ point season

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 01:08 AM
8spokesontheB
Cry Havoc!

If Scott Hartnell played anywhere else I'd hate him.

As it goes I can't help but like him on the Flyers. His hair matches the jersey.

8spokesontheB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 04:25 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavstar View Post
Their were voices of dissent in our ranks. Myself among them. GKJ also, iirc.

There were also some dumb ***** who claimed, after he got hot on the top line, that he came into the season out of shape and that Jagr's work ethic motivated him to get in shape, which is why he was excelling on the top line. Yes, that's it, he got into shape in two weeks.

Lots of people say dumb thing in lots of fan bases, but the near consensus opinion of Hartnell as of last October was myopic, short sighted and forgetful (and annoying as all hell to me, then and now). Now all of the arguments some of us were making in his favor then are being parroted, with an addendum reference to this season just past, by a lot of the very people who argued them not a year ago. I guess it's better they come around late than never.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 02:22 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Their were voices of dissent in our ranks. Myself among them. GKJ also, iirc.

There were also some dumb ***** who claimed, after he got hot on the top line, that he came into the season out of shape and that Jagr's work ethic motivated him to get in shape, which is why he was excelling on the top line. Yes, that's it, he got into shape in two weeks.

Lots of people say dumb thing in lots of fan bases, but the near consensus opinion of Hartnell as of last October was myopic, short sighted and forgetful (and annoying as all hell to me, then and now). Now all of the arguments some of us were making in his favor then are being parroted, with an addendum reference to this season just past, by a lot of the very people who argued them not a year ago. I guess it's better they come around late than never.
He was out of shape when he came into camp. That's not news. And it was Giroux and Jagr who had a talk with Hartnell about how he had to be at his best because he is a very important player on the team. I agree that he didn't get into shape in two weeks, but it took him some time to get back into shape and it wasn't until after training camp and about 15 games into the season that Hartnell started to turn it around.

I think the fact that Hartnell got called out by his teammates was the motivation he needed. I'm still in a wait and see mood though to see if he can replicate what he did last season. I have high hopes and I think being reaffirmed that he has an important role to play on the club will be what keeps Hartnell going.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 02:58 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Source?

Old
08-25-2012, 06:32 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
He was out of shape when he came into camp. That's not news. And it was Giroux and Jagr who had a talk with Hartnell about how he had to be at his best because he is a very important player on the team. I agree that he didn't get into shape in two weeks, but it took him some time to get back into shape and it wasn't until after training camp and about 15 games into the season that Hartnell started to turn it around.

I think the fact that Hartnell got called out by his teammates was the motivation he needed. I'm still in a wait and see mood though to see if he can replicate what he did last season. I have high hopes and I think being reaffirmed that he has an important role to play on the club will be what keeps Hartnell going.
I haven't seen a single report that says that Hartnell came into camp out of shape. There were reports of Giroux and Briere talking to Hartnell and he has said so himself. Just like any leaders do. Thats not news.

It took Hartnell 7 games to hit that monster form. Oh yeah, the exact time that he was moved to the Giroux line.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 07:17 AM
Faltorvo

******* i hate your team so much.

But never the less, solid signing for a player that gives a unique and needed dimension to any team.

I wanted the leafs to snag him up , but alas.

He is the kind of player i would want on my roster, when building a cup team.

Last edited by TMI: 08-25-2012 at 03:00 PM. Reason: filter circumvention
Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 07:50 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
I haven't seen a single report that says that Hartnell came into camp out of shape. There were reports of Giroux and Briere talking to Hartnell and he has said so himself. Just like any leaders do. Thats not news.

It took Hartnell 7 games to hit that monster form. Oh yeah, the exact time that he was moved to the Giroux line.

There were a couple of reports saying that he was out of shape. Jagr and Giroux pulled his ass aside and gave him a good talk. I wouldn't be surprised if he was one of the ones going to Jagr camp after the usual team practice to get his ass back in shape.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 08:32 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
There were a couple of reports saying that he was out of shape. Jagr and Giroux pulled his ass aside and gave him a good talk. I wouldn't be surprised if he was one of the ones going to Jagr camp after the usual team practice to get his ass back in shape.
Source?

Old
08-25-2012, 10:47 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
This man is right.

Hatnell's great production last season kind of overshadows his generally sloppy skating, passing, and turnovers that are so abundantly clear when he's slumping. So I'd say this is far from a great deal at the moment. Could be a decent one though depending on the future.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 10:49 AM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
the thing is fairweather fans exist for every team when a player that should be producing, isnt. so it doesnt matter

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 11:00 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
This man is right.

Hatnell's great production last season kind of overshadows his generally sloppy skating, passing, and turnovers that are so abundantly clear when he's slumping. So I'd say this is far from a great deal at the moment. Could be a decent one though depending on the future.
If he was a good skater and and stick handler he'd be one of the better forwards in the whole league (he's an average passer and takes okay care of the puck, just average though)...

He has his flaws, but the results to date merit his pay imo. It's not a huge steal right now, but at the end of the deal it might be.

Old
08-25-2012, 11:09 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
When the Flyers crash and burn with these crazy contracts, the rest of the NHL, other than Vancouver, is going to go nuts.

6 years for Hartnell? Giving a guy like Hartnell and the way he plays the game, a six year deal is nuts.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 11:30 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
When the Flyers crash and burn with these crazy contracts, the rest of the NHL, other than Vancouver, is going to go nuts.

6 years for Hartnell? Giving a guy like Hartnell and the way he plays the game, a six year deal is nuts.
Hartnell is going into the last year of a 5 year deal.

Deal with it

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 11:48 AM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post

Hartnell has missed 3 games as a Flyer. 2 for a suspension, and 1 for the flu

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 02:43 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Why the hate? I know, you must have been one of the ranger fans I dumped a beer on back in 1973 and did nothing about it

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 02:59 PM
SEALBound
RIP Elmer

I think this is gonna bite Philly in the butt. I think both Hartnell and Giroux will regress this season without Jagr on their line. Old and slow or not Jagr had that magic that enabled them to play better. I don't think they can replace that with anyone on their roster.

When that starts to fail lines will be switched up to which I do not think Hartnell will be able to perform to the expectations that have been created especially with the accompanying cap hit. Not a good idea for Philly IMHO. I'm betting that we see him traded before the contract is half over

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote