HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo to Chicago (Mod Warning #93)

Closed Thread

Old
08-25-2012, 04:42 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

vCash: 500
Chicago isn't giving up a significant roster player or prospect for Luongo.

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 08-25-2012 at 08:55 PM. Reason: yes it is
Old
08-25-2012, 04:52 PM
NYVanfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
like everything else, speculation

we do not know what the GMs of these 2 clubs would or would not do in a trade
we do know that fans of these 2 clubs will never see eye to eye

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 08-25-2012 at 08:55 PM. Reason: quote/other stuff
Old
08-25-2012, 05:09 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Source?
i should have said there are only 2 teams that would be the right fit since his list has not been released. However most talks are him to Florida and Chicago and sources such as Dreger says those are two highly likely places with him holding a NTC.

source: http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...go-could-land/

http://digitaljournal.com/article/328072

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399474

So Florida, Chicago seem to be the front runner with Toronto in there too

Old
08-25-2012, 05:20 PM
crazyhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Id say something around frolik, shaw & beach for Lu.

Reasons? Just look to the Rick Nash trade.

CBJ had their hands tied and had to trade him. Vancouver is even more limited because Lu only wants to go to hawks and panthers.

I think Florida is set in net and doesnt need Lu. So its fair to give a 2/3 line effective winger, a decent prospect and a boom/bust prospect for a massive contract on an ageing goalie.
Frolik .. yes
Shaw .. no
Beach .. not yet as I would not be able to stomach playing against either Shaw or Beach on the nucks!

How's about Frolik, Danault & Olesz

Old
08-25-2012, 08:12 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhawk View Post
Frolik .. yes
Shaw .. no
Beach .. not yet as I would not be able to stomach playing against either Shaw or Beach on the nucks!

I have a feeling Canuck fans will find that insulting. JS.

Old
08-25-2012, 08:32 PM
huntison

Luongo + Booth + 1st 2013 + 1st 2014

for

Kane

Old
08-25-2012, 08:53 PM
Crymson
Fire Holland

I see an odd thought process on this issue from some Canucks fans on this board. There seem to be two central, opposing ideas to it: "We want to move our unreliable goalie, who is saddled with a bad contract, so that our other, better goalie can take over" and "We expect a king's ransom in return." Those two don't mesh. The Canucks want to move Luongo because, as noted, he's not sufficiently reliable in net. To make matters worse, his contract sucks. Trading an unreliable goaltender who has a bad contract is not easy. A big return will not be had. And Canucks fans should not expect one, because the reasons that Luongo are being traded are the reasons why his trade value is not very high.

Old
08-25-2012, 09:06 PM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntison View Post
Luongo + Booth + 1st 2013 + 1st 2014

for

Kane
Absolutely not from Chicago.

Old
08-25-2012, 09:14 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Frolik .. yes
Shaw .. no

Garbage, absolute garbage. If we deal with Chicago, Bolland is apart of the equation or no deal. Frolik is essentially a bust at this point, Danault is nothing and Olesz is a dump. We get nothing while Chicago improves tremendously in net.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crymson View Post
I see an odd thought process on this issue from some Canucks fans on this board. There seem to be two central, opposing ideas to it: "We want to move our unreliable goalie, who is saddled with a bad contract, so that our other, better goalie can take over" and "We expect a king's ransom in return." Those two don't mesh. The Canucks want to move Luongo because, as noted, he's not sufficiently reliable in net. To make matters worse, his contract sucks. Trading an unreliable goaltender who has a bad contract is not easy. A big return will not be had. And Canucks fans should not expect one, because the reasons that Luongo are being traded are the reasons why his trade value is not very high.
Not necessarily. We are more inclined to trade Luongo because Schneider is younger and already shown steps of becoming a future elite goaltender. In seven years he will be that age Lu is now, thus if expectations are met we would have phenomenal goaltending for the better part of the next decade. That said, Luongo may have his hiccups but he remains a top ten, arguably top five, goaltender and while some of us are willing to accept something more reasonable than Kane or Hossa. We are not trading him for another team's trash.

Old
08-25-2012, 09:34 PM
Scurr

Quote:
The Canucks want to move Luongo because, as noted, he's not sufficiently reliable in net. To make matters worse, his contract sucks.
Neither of those things is true. Luongo lost the net because the team was playing like crap and Schneider has posted a .930 save % over the last couple seasons. Luongo's play the last couple seasons has been the best of his career and reliable enough to win back to back presidents trophies and a trip to the finals. He's being traded because he wants out, not because we want him out, like fans have any say in the matter.

I'm not going to get into a back and forth on his contract because that's been done. 6.7m is right in line with what similar goalies make and a 5.3m cap hit is icing on the cake. This chicken little idea that Luongo is going to milk every last dollar out of his contract while he sucks later in his career is not born in reality.

Old
08-25-2012, 09:36 PM
Ubi Sunt
QQ Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
If we deal with Chicago, Bolland is apart of the equation or no deal.
Ok, then no deal.

Plus, Chicago would need a good back-up for when Luongo gets pulled in the playoffs and then gets benched for the next game.

So what's the point?

Old
08-25-2012, 09:38 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Vancouver isn't accepting <insert team's> trash for Luongo.

See how we reach an impasse? Alas, these threads tend to be a redundancy of the same. The only offers we usually receive are complete throw aways followed by how much Luongo supposedly sucks and/or his contract is worse than the plague.

Old
08-25-2012, 09:47 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubi Sunt View Post
So what's the point?
Winning game 7.

Old
08-25-2012, 09:54 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Vancouver isn't accepting <insert team's> trash for Luongo.

See how we reach an impasse? Alas, these threads tend to be a redundancy of the same. The only offers we usually receive are complete throw aways followed by how much Luongo supposedly sucks and/or his contract is worse than the plague.
At least when Canucks fans were debating with leafs fans there were some people who were finding a middle ground (5th overall + Gardiner vs. Komisarek +4th).

There was actually some decent discussion hidden in there.

Here its just Hawks and Canucks fans bickering and no sort of middle ground whatsoever.

Old
08-25-2012, 09:56 PM
huntison

Sharp for Luongo + Booth + 1st

Old
08-25-2012, 10:02 PM
Ho Borvat

False. Other teams fans are trying to convince us hes a backup goalie with a horrible contract.

I was in the trade Schneider camp prior to it being obvious Lu was the odd man out.
I think most Canucks fans would say if Schneider can be AS good as Luongo it would be a huge win.

Schneider is younger, and slightly cheaper. His upside is solid, but its still uncertain he will be a franchise goalie like Luongo.

I think the Canucks will get a sufficient return for Luongo.

Quote:

Old
08-25-2012, 10:04 PM
Ho Borvat

Bolland + Beach + 1st

For

Luongo + Schroeder.

Old
08-25-2012, 10:41 PM
crazyhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
At least when Canucks fans were debating with leafs fans there were some people who were finding a middle ground (5th overall + Gardiner vs. Komisarek +4th).

Here its just Hawks and Canucks fans bickering and no sort of middle ground whatsoever.
It helps when the two teams aren't bitter rivals.

Quote:
Bolland + Beach + 1st

For

Luongo + Schroeder.
Hawks are thin down the middle and cannot afford to lose a center.
And really, Canuck fans if you feel Lou is worth so much then why not just keep him?!
After all MG appears to be saying all is good with the two going forward.
I would much rather deal with Ottawa for Lehner or even Bishop.

Old
08-25-2012, 10:44 PM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:

But there's a very interesting (and recent) history between the Hawks and the Canucks. The playoff battles, fights and all that stuff.

That's why I have trouble envisioning the Hawks doing a deal with the Canucks. It just seems like a non-starter to me. Luongo might be willing to accept a trade to Chicago, but I don't know how comfortable either team would be putting a deal together.

Old
08-25-2012, 11:00 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
It helps when the two teams aren't bitter rivals.

Hawks are thin down the middle and cannot afford to lose a center.
And really, Canuck fans if you feel Lou is worth so much then why not just keep him?!
After all MG appears to be saying all is good with the two going forward.
I would much rather deal with Ottawa for Lehner or even Bishop.
While losing Bolland does hurt, Schroeder gives them an NHL ready prospect up the middle.

I think Canucks fans are fine keeping Luongo, but it doesnt take a genius to see long term its not an ideal situation.

They have an expendable asset, and hopefully can fill some organizational needs.

Old
08-25-2012, 11:15 PM
crazyhawk

Quote:
While losing Bolland does hurt, Schroeder gives them an NHL ready prospect up the middle.

I think Canucks fans are fine keeping Luongo, but it doesnt take a genius to see long term its not an ideal situation.

They have an expendable asset, and hopefully can fill some organizational needs.
I don't know much about Schroeder but "NHL ready" doesn't necessarily mean a 2LC or 3LC slot and that's what the Hawks would need if Bolland left.
I don't know for sure about Canuck fans and Lou but I have been on the CDC many times reading the Lou threads and well let's call it a 50/50 split on Lou.
Really though, as a few have mentioned on this thread I can't see the Hawks and Canucks doing a deal as they are just to close to the 3 consecutive playoff meetings and all the rivalry etc. I mean can a Canuck fan embrace Bolland what with the " Sisters " comments and all?!
With Lou I will always see him post game after game 6 in Chicago after the 7 goals against. These memories will never go away!

Old
08-25-2012, 11:19 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
But there's a very interesting (and recent) history between the Hawks and the Canucks. The playoff battles, fights and all that stuff.

That's why I have trouble envisioning the Hawks doing a deal with the Canucks. It just seems like a non-starter to me. Luongo might be willing to accept a trade to Chicago, but I don't know how comfortable either team would be putting a deal together.
I think both GMs are trying to ice the best roster possible at the end of the day.

Im sure neither wants to help a rival, but really theres still only a small chance these teams meet up in the playoffs.

Im sure MG would rather deal to Toronto or Florida (all things being equal) but if Chi makes the best offer thats another story.

Old
08-26-2012, 12:07 AM
Intense Rage

Quote:

So you want us to deal Bolland in the hopes that a diminutive center prospect can somehow replace his presence? You are right there is a difference between us and Toronto, we don't want Luongo. We have had first hand account of the circus show with him in net in the playoffs. We don't want nor need that.

Old
08-26-2012, 12:07 AM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
I think both GMs are trying to ice the best roster possible at the end of the day.

Im sure neither wants to help a rival, but really theres still only a small chance these teams meet up in the playoffs.

Im sure MG would rather deal to Toronto or Florida (all things being equal) but if Chi makes the best offer thats another story.
The last place in the world you'd ever expect Luongo to get traded is Chicago. Amazing it's even being considered.

Old
08-26-2012, 12:22 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
False. Other teams fans are trying to convince us hes a backup goalie with a horrible contract.
To be fair, that's just the Blackhawks fans.

The rest of us are trying to explain that Luongo has less value than his skill would otherwise dictate due to:

a) the circumstance of the situation (trade request from a player with a contract that contains a NMC almost always result in trades that see NMC players go for less than their skill value would dictate, regardless of how amicable the relationship seems at the moment)
b) the fact that since the lockout, goalies tend to have less trade value than position players
c) the fact that there is significant precedent to support both claim A and B.
d) the length and cap hit of his contract weighed against the uncertainty of what the new CBA will hold (whenever it gets resolved). This last point is a guess, as we haven't seen any players over 30 with "long term cap circumvention"-style deals (long term deals, front loaded with salary and back-loaded with hyper-declining salaries) dealt yet, although most people seem to agree that the contract does present a hurdle in trade talks, and would hurt value.

Closed Thread