HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

12'-13' Draft Thread: Preliminary Rankings

Closed Thread

Old
08-23-2012, 10:55 AM
leugangen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
That would be pretty epic. Some of the greatest rivalries in history between these three teams and each of them having a brother would be amazing. Imagine those games...

At this point I think I'd want to pick in this order:

1. MacKinnon - The guy is one of the youngest in the draft still and I personally think a head above everyone. Seth Jones could challenge for number 1 my ass. It's always been MacKinnon and it will be MacKinnon come draft day 2013. Just like it was always Stamkos, and it was always Tavares. MacKinnon is a special talent. Sidney Crosby he is not but he's still a potential player like Stamkos and that's not something that drops to number 2.

2. Barkov - Younger than MacKinnon (by a day but I digress). I'm a huge fan. He's got the size you want, the defensive game you want, and he has great offensive upside. And played against men from the age of 16? Dude's a stud.

3. Seth Jones - Not a huge fan but I can see why people are. He's everything you want in a dman. And he's apparently a great skater. I'd have no issue taking him after MacKinnon/Barkov. He'd be a great long-term replacement to Phaneuf if it comes to losing Phaneuf. Otherwise having Jones-Gardiner/Rielly and Phaneuf-Gardiner/Rielly on two separate lines would be enticing to say the least. Nice looking defense.

4. Monahan - Already drawing Toews comparisons. Does it all. A potential top line center with leadership and strong defenive play? Love it.

5. Shinkaruk - Smallish winger like Kessel but I wouldn't turn him down. Could be the best pure sniper in the draft. Having two Kessel's wouldn't be ideal but it would be far from teh worst thing to happen to us.

6. Lazar
7. Ristolainen
8. Pulock
9. Rychel
10. Lindholm
11. Nichushkin
12. Erne
13. Morissey
14. Haag
15. Domi
Lazar doesn't look to have that offensive upside that I would want in a top pick. I'd much rather take Domi.

Regardless, this draft is going to be awesome.

Old
08-23-2012, 11:04 AM
theIceWookie
formerly FinnishKule

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
Yeah, I think Barkov plays close to ppg. I think MG had better linemates, though. I think Barkov could have better WJCs.

And even if he doesn't surpass that incredible draft season of MG, I think he's upside is and will remain higher. He's passing and vision may not be as good (though still VERY good) but I think he's better at pretty much everything else. Too early to say anything about skating, Barkov can and will improve on that department as he's grown so much so fast. As he matures, it will improve. The question is, how much.
Granlund was over 6 months older than Barkov will be playing in his draft year as well.

Plus it's common for larger players to take longer to grow into their skill. As a player grows taller and gains more weight it takes time to transition that skill into the new body.

And by all accounts this summer he's improved his skating as well, which one of the few things scouts were mentioning he needed to work on last season.

Old
08-23-2012, 11:12 AM
theIceWookie
formerly FinnishKule

Quote:
Originally Posted by leugangen View Post
Lazar doesn't look to have that offensive upside that I would want in a top pick. I'd much rather take Domi.

Regardless, this draft is going to be awesome.
I'm not sure that's true. He didn't exactly get playing time that allowed him to display his offense creatively during the season. But when he did in the playoffs? He went on a tear. For a first year player playing on a Memorial Cup team, it's more than impressive.

I love Domi but I'd rather have the guy that does it all over a pure offense guy at this point. And to be honest, I think I might even want Horvat over Domi. Again it's that all around type guy over the pure offense.

To be fair though, I don't watch any of them enough to really know for sure what there upside is etc. But these guys seem to think Lazar warrants such high praise as well.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrh...180324980.html

Old
08-23-2012, 11:14 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaskY View Post
Barkov is a lot better than Teravainen.

The main reason why Teravainen dropped in the draft was because of his lack of size IMO. Under 170 lbs and not 6'0 ft yet. He also didn't start playing in SM-liiga until his draft year, unlike Barkov who has already had over 30 games in SM-liiga as a 16 year old. And back to the size thing, Barkov is just 16 years old and he's already 6'2/205 lbs. Just provides a much more complete game than Teuvo, and IIRC Teuvo was never being regarded as a top five pick this early in his draft year. I don't think Barkov will drop out of the top ten at-least. He could fall out of the top five but at the same time I think he could also rise into the top three.
I am not denying his skill and what not. It's just people are very hesitant to draft from euros unless it's like a can't miss prospect. I don't know it just seems like the case for a lot of teams who are in the lottery position or the top ten. I think it's sort of a biased view when the player is from SEL and CHL that they are okay with. Look recently, Granlund is supposedly the best prospect there is currently in terms of skill yet he was drafted at 8th overall. Teuvo, younger than all of his draft peers and was touted to be extremely skilled but fell to the hawks. Heck even this year's forserberg? It's just seems odd to me tbh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorthFace View Post
Monahan would be unreal to get honestly. Prototypical power center. Really any of the players ranked highly in this draft would be great to get, but one of MacKinnon, Monahan, and Barkov would be amazing. Call me negative, but I can't see the team we have here now with no upgraded goaltending finishing without a top ten pick. I definitely agree about Euro's. Unless a player in Europe is deemed can't miss they have the potential to drop. Barkov looks real good though.
I still am pegging us at the middle, i mean come draft time your negativity equals awesome as we get a high pick but come season time, I still think we are going to be on the hunt for the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
I'm really starting to get sold on Monahan. Gonna have to take a few looks this season.
With the looks of a lockout I am going to watch him as much as possible in ottawa. He seems to be a guy who you would want to add into a team immediately and brings all that you can ask for a player/prospect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy Crust View Post
This draft is shaping up to be real good. Can't wait to get a good look at Seth Jones in Portland this year. He should be a treat to watch.
So far it looks deep but last year the story was the same, so heres hoping we can strike gold if this is a deep draft indeed. Regardless of where we place.

I am excited to see him there this year, should be awesome!

08-23-2012, 11:38 AM
theIceWookie
formerly FinnishKule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I am not denying his skill and what not. It's just people are very hesitant to draft from euros unless it's like a can't miss prospect. I don't know it just seems like the case for a lot of teams who are in the lottery position or the top ten. I think it's sort of a biased view when the player is from SEL and CHL that they are okay with. Look recently, Granlund is supposedly the best prospect there is currently in terms of skill yet he was drafted at 8th overall. Teuvo, younger than all of his draft peers and was touted to be extremely skilled but fell to the hawks. Heck even this year's forserberg? It's just seems odd to me tbh.
That's mildly revisionist though. This is why draft order often clouds fans attention.

He grew into that prospect in terms of skill. It's not like he was seen as the highest skilled prospect in the draft but because he was a Euro and smaller, he fell. He was seen as a player that had exceptional talent and had the potential to be one of the best players in the draft. 8th was a decent spot to go.

Considering he had Skinner/Hall/Seguin/Gudbranson in front of him, it's not like he was passed over for obvious "Euro concerns".

And Teravainen likely fell for two reasons. One, he's small. Really small. Same height as Granlund but even lighter (I can't remember if Granlund was this light). 160 pounds is featherweight like. That's going to concern teams that know the NHL isn't exactly a weak league physicality wise. Sometimes teams have a near unwavering bias against small players. Giroux was similar sized, and ripped up the Q in his draft year. Didn't go all that high either. Teams don't view size correctly and it burns teams. With big players too. They assume they will be physical when they aren't. Bur I digress.

Secondly, he shot up the rankings massively. I suspect teams were sort of wary of taking him that high because he was only a 2nd rounder for most of the year.

I don't really think it's that teams are hesitant to draft Euro's. You're reading into things I think.

Old
08-23-2012, 10:28 PM
Crispy Crust

vCash: 570
Shinkaruk looks and plays like Kessel lol.

Old
08-25-2012, 11:04 AM
Kulemon

I would like Barkov a lot. From the sound of it once he fills out and improves his skating he will tear the NHL up. Him or Monahan would be unreal.

Last edited by Kulemon: 08-25-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old
08-25-2012, 11:17 AM
KlattNazty

Am I the only one that prefers Barkovs offensive game to Granlund? I feel Granlund gets over hyped to crap on these boards. Yes he has great hands, yes great vision and passing abilities, but I am not sure that its all that much better than Barkov's at this point TBH. Thats not including Barkovs puck possession abilities and shooting skills.

Old
08-25-2012, 11:25 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
Am I the only one that prefers Barkovs offensive game to Granlund? I feel Granlund gets over hyped to crap on these boards. Yes he has great hands, yes great vision and passing abilities, but I am not sure that its all that much better than Barkov's at this point TBH. Thats not including Barkovs puck possession abilities and shooting skills.
yea, i think Granlund id hyped a lot .... i will take the gamble and say that in 5ish years, id prefer Grabo to him

Old
08-25-2012, 11:27 AM
RaskY
Blues bandwagon

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
It's really hard compare at this point. I think Granlund has more natural talent and like I mentioned earlier, Granlund scored 40 points in 43 games in the SM-liiga as a very young player, as just a teenager. He also, albeit it was just one tournament, showed he can still compete at a higher level when he scored 9 points in 9 games in the World Championships and was a big help to Finland's gold medal win. He's produced just about at every level so far, no reason to think it won't translate into the NHL one day.

As for Barkov, it wouldn't be fair to say he has either a better or a worse offensive game than Granlund at this point. This season in the SM-liiga will be a big opportunity for Barkov to show his skills. He could very well produce just as much as Granlund did, maybe even more, but right now it's just not a fair comparison. Nobody has seen a lot of Barkov yet.

Old
08-25-2012, 11:36 AM
Hick Leafs Fan
HickTown

Who are the top 3 center prospects in this years draft?

Old
08-25-2012, 11:43 AM
Crispy Crust

vCash: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsFan10 View Post
Who are the top 3 center prospects in this years draft?
MacKinnon
Monahan
Barkov

Old
08-25-2012, 11:45 AM
Hick Leafs Fan
HickTown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy Crust View Post
MacKinnon
Monahan
Barkov
Never Knew Monahan was a center good to know

Thanks a lot

Old
08-25-2012, 12:38 PM
InjuredChoker

Small note: Granlund was drafted 9th.

Old
08-25-2012, 12:39 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaskY View Post
It's really hard compare at this point. I think Granlund has more natural talent and like I mentioned earlier, Granlund scored 40 points in 43 games in the SM-liiga as a very young player, as just a teenager. He also, albeit it was just one tournament, showed he can still compete at a higher level when he scored 9 points in 9 games in the World Championships and was a big help to Finland's gold medal win. He's produced just about at every level so far, no reason to think it won't translate into the NHL one day.

As for Barkov, it wouldn't be fair to say he has either a better or a worse offensive game than Granlund at this point. This season in the SM-liiga will be a big opportunity for Barkov to show his skills. He could very well produce just as much as Granlund did, maybe even more, but right now it's just not a fair comparison. Nobody has seen a lot of Barkov yet.
What do you mean with that?

Old
08-25-2012, 12:52 PM
RaskY
Blues bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
What do you mean with that?
I think Granlund is just more gifted offensively. Watching him play it just comes all so easy to him. Excellent playmaker. Not that Barkov doesn't have skill though. I must clarify this. Barkov is a very talented forward, he just hasn't shown enough yet for me, but that's expected, after-all he is only just 16 years old.

Old
08-25-2012, 02:29 PM
Kulemon

If we have a top 5 pick and Mackinnon and Jones are gone and Monahan and Barkov are on the board, which one do we pick?

I really like Monahan. Even more than Galchenyuk. Great size and skill and solid two way play with the combination of smarts and heart. Just an all around stud. I haven't seen anything of Barkov. Just going off of what I heard.

Old
08-25-2012, 02:48 PM
leugangen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
If we have a top 5 pick and Mackinnon and Jones are gone and Monahan and Barkov are on the board, which one do we pick?

I really like Monahan. Even more than Galchenyuk. Great size and skill and solid two way play with the combination of smarts and heart. Just an all around stud. I haven't seen anything of Barkov. Just going off of what I heard.
That's a tough one. I'd probably lean to Monahan, but either would be great.

Old
08-25-2012, 02:48 PM
TheNorthFace
RitchieEhlersMcCann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post

I haven't seen Barkov play. Just a lot of reading, but he'd have to truly wow me to pick him over Monahan at this point. Monahan is everything we want in a C.

Old
08-25-2012, 03:07 PM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorthFace View Post
I haven't seen Barkov play. Just a lot of reading, but he'd have to truly wow me to pick him over Monahan at this point. Monahan is everything we want in a C.
That's what I was thinking. I also think that he's the most NHL ready prospect of next years draft.

I really wanted Gally this past draft but having Monahan would be 10x better

Old
08-25-2012, 03:27 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
That's mildly revisionist though. This is why draft order often clouds fans attention.

He grew into that prospect in terms of skill. It's not like he was seen as the highest skilled prospect in the draft but because he was a Euro and smaller, he fell. He was seen as a player that had exceptional talent and had the potential to be one of the best players in the draft. 8th was a decent spot to go.

Considering he had Skinner/Hall/Seguin/Gudbranson in front of him, it's not like he was passed over for obvious "Euro concerns".

And Teravainen likely fell for two reasons. One, he's small. Really small. Same height as Granlund but even lighter (I can't remember if Granlund was this light). 160 pounds is featherweight like. That's going to concern teams that know the NHL isn't exactly a weak league physicality wise. Sometimes teams have a near unwavering bias against small players. Giroux was similar sized, and ripped up the Q in his draft year. Didn't go all that high either. Teams don't view size correctly and it burns teams. With big players too. They assume they will be physical when they aren't. Bur I digress.

Secondly, he shot up the rankings massively. I suspect teams were sort of wary of taking him that high because he was only a 2nd rounder for most of the year.

I don't really think it's that teams are hesitant to draft Euro's. You're reading into things I think.
Hey if that isn't the case kudos. I am purely speculating and think it might be the case tbh. I mean after the KHL it seems to have only added to this angle.

Also if it is between Monahan & Barkov, altough I haven't seen Barkov, I would go with Monahan. We need a guy like him...we lack a player like his calibre in the center sorely.

Last edited by Leaf Rocket: 08-25-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old
08-25-2012, 04:18 PM
Epoch

Would love to get Monahan. Love his game.

Old
08-25-2012, 08:04 PM
Badger Mayhew

Badly want Monahan.

It'd be worth a lockout/tank season if we could get him IMO. Give the kids some more time to make the NHL, and would just leave goaltending left in terms of holes.

Old
08-25-2012, 10:19 PM
GenericFan2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmac40 View Post
Keep an eye out for Drouin. Probably the smartest player in the draft. Incredible playmaking ability and stickhandling.
Love his style, goes a little hard on the celly's but that will change haha. Imagine him between Kessel and Lupul, ouuu.

Really any forward going in the top 5 (even top 10) would be amazing for the Leafs, especially the C's like Monahan and Barkov. This draft looks really stacked in terms of forwards, so tempting to bomb for another top 5 pick, but at this point in time a playoff birth is more important (unless its Mackinnon lol).

Old
08-25-2012, 10:25 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW View Post
Love his style, goes a little hard on the celly's but that will change haha. Imagine him between Kessel and Lupul, ouuu.

Really any forward going in the top 5 (even top 10) would be amazing for the Leafs, especially the C's like Monahan and Barkov. This draft looks really stacked in terms of forwards, so tempting to bomb for another top 5 pick, but at this point in time a playoff birth is more important (unless its Mackinnon lol).
looks cocky as hell, i would definitely not mind that tbh.

Lupul/Kessel/JVR/Grabovski/Kadri + top 5/10 draftee C .. and we have a very respectable top 6 ...

not to mention we have Kulemin, MacArthur, Colborne, Bozak, Frattin and some others

Closed Thread