Notices

2012/2013 Point Projections

Old
08-25-2012, 09:13 AM
slappipappi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
This Stajan debate is always a classic debate. He's either a bum, or a number one centremen for this team. How many players can you say spark that kind of gap in opinions?
Not really a gap in opinon.

He can be a bum and still be our #1 centerman. Our depth down the center is pretty weak.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 09:15 AM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappipappi View Post
Not really a gap in opinon.

He can be a bum and still be our #1 centerman. Our depth down the center is pretty weak.
Agreed. Stajan is by far not the best centre man, but he's far form the worst as some mention here.

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 11:49 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

I dont think our center depth is as awful as everyone makes it out to be. To me it is clearly one of the most "unknown/unproven" in the league, but it also has the potential to be in the top half in terms of productivity with ease.

Is it really out of the question or unreasonable to expect Cammalleri to put up 65 points in a season? I certainly dont think so. That would then leave one of (or a combination of..)Cervenka/Stajan/Backlund to produce at a .55 PPG clip or better on the second line. One has already done so on multiple occasions in the past, and the other two certainly have that capability. Backlund is clearly the biggest longshot of the bunch to achieve those results next season, but I dont think it is impossible.

That alone would result in a minimum of 100 points produced by the top two centermen on this team which to me is attainable, and more than enough to handily make the playoffs.

Without question I believe that both Cervenka and Stajan would score 40+ points if they were given consistent top six minutes. Obviously only one of them will earn that ice time, but I am not all that concerned about the depth at that position myself. With that said, I would obviously condone a move to upgrade the position without hesitation.

Maybe I am giving them the benefit of the doubt but with the amount of talented wingers we have on this team it makes it more bearable.

Last edited by HighLifeMan: 08-25-2012 at 11:55 AM.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 12:01 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
I dont think our center depth is as awful as everyone makes it out to be. To me it is clearly one of the most "unknown/unproven" in the league, but it also has the potential to be in the top half in terms of productivity with ease.

Is it really out of the question or unreasonable to expect Cammalleri to put up 65 points in a season? I certainly dont think so. That would then leave one of (or a combination of..)Cervenka/Stajan/Backlund to produce at a .55 PPG clip or better on the second line. One has already done so on multiple occasions in the past, and the other two certainly have that capability. Backlund is clearly the biggest longshot of the bunch to achieve those results next season, but I dont think it is impossible.

That alone would result in a minimum of 100 points produced by the top two centermen on this team which to me is attainable, and more than enough to handily make the playoffs.

Without question I believe that both Cervenka and Stajan would score 40+ points if they were given consistent top six minutes. Obviously only one of them will earn that ice time, but I am not all that concerned about the depth at that position myself. With that said, I would obviously condone a move to upgrade the position without hesitation.

Maybe I am giving them the benefit of the doubt but with the amount of talented wingers we have on this team it makes it more bearable.
My biggest concern is Backlund, and that's taking into consideration that Stajan had 18 points and Cervenka hasn't played a day of NHL hockey. Backlund at least has been given ample opportunity without capitalizing, whereas Stajan has shown to perform when surrounded with proper talent.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 01:38 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 50
Quote:

Excellent post HLF! Pretty much how I feel. I am hoping that at LEAST one of the 3 unknowns (Cervenka, Stajan, Backlund) produce 45-50 points next year in a top 6 role (my money is on Cervenka). Cammy still has top end skill, so I absolutely agree that while our core is very much unproven, they have the potential to do quite well.

People need to remember that Feaster really hasn't had much else for options. Sure we could of brought back Joker, but we wanted to go in a different direction. With our limited cap space and lack of assets to trade for a bonafide #1C, the Flames had limited choices going into next season. I am going to remain optimistic that our roster will surprise people next season.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 05:04 PM
slappipappi

Quote:

Our top two centers last year (Cammy and Joker) had 102 points.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 08:07 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappipappi View Post
Our top two centers last year (Cammy and Joker) had 102 points.
Technically, sure.

But that is irrelevant as Cammalleri only played 28 games, and recorded 19 points in a Flames uniform.

I personally feel we would have made the playoffs last season if Mike Cammalleri was on the team from training camp.

Last edited by HighLifeMan: 08-25-2012 at 08:13 PM.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 08:11 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
Quote:
Technically, sure.

But that is irreverent as Cammalleri only played 28 games, and recorded 19 points in a Flames uniform.

I personally feel we would have made the playoffs last season if Mike Cammalleri was on the team from training camp.
But who would have scored his 13 goals and had his 3 assists? You are acting like we have a Sven Bärtschi or something

I agree if we had Cammy all year we would have been a significantly better team.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 10:26 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

I agree, the Flames seemed to be a much more dangerous team with Cammy on it. Can't wait to see how we do playing a system built around creating offence.

Old
08-25-2012, 10:42 PM
MarkGio

Cammy is also a leader. He's an Epic playoff performer and he speaks well in front of the camera. As far as why he was traded from Montreal, that's just whiny fans. I love a player that informs me that my team is preparing like losers. He tells it like it is.

I can't see Iginla having a slow October with Cammy as his centre.

Old
08-25-2012, 11:16 PM
pdd

I have the solution to the center problem. The Flames need to pick up Mike Comrie and have him center Cammalleri and Iginla.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 11:49 PM
BigTree92

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Assuming there is a full season next year, I thought we should have a thread with everyone's point projections as our roster stands now.

Here is how I see our line combo's assuming no other deals are made:

Tangs Cammy Iggy
Glencross Cervenka Hudler
Baertschi Backlund Stempniak
Comeau Stajan Jackman

Bo Wideman
Gio Brodie
Sarich Smith
Babchuk

Kipper
Irving

Point Totals:

Iginla-81
Cammy-79
Tangs-69
Hudler-49
Cervenka-46
Glencross-58
Baertschi-47
Backlund-41
Stempniak-32
Comeau-29
Stajan-26
Jackman-12

Bouwmeester-42
Wideman-49
Gio-46
Brodie-39
Sarich-16
Smith-26
Babchuk-22

Kipper-41 Wins

Notes: I see Glencross breaking 30 goals and getting close to 60pts, he is capable of it and he should hit that mark. I see Brodie and Backlund having a breakout season of sorts, at least taking that next step in their development. I think Iggy, Cammy and Tangs will perform quite well and Iggy will rebound nicely under Hartley. And lastly, I see Sven scoring the exact amount of points as his Jersey. If I'm right I'm going to bump this thread up!

Brodie with 39? I dont see it. Just gonna round it to the nearest 5:

Iggy - 75
Cammy- 65
Glencross - 60
Tangs - 55
Hudler - 50
Cervenka - 45
Bartschi - 40
Backlund - 35
Stemp - 35
Comeau - 30
Stajan - 25
Jackman - 15

Wideman - 45
Gio - 40
Bouwmeester - 35
Brodie - 25
Smith - 20
Sarich - 10

I can see Iggy bouncing back and having a better year, he's done it before and I think he will have better players around him this year on the top 6. Wideman will probably pick up a lot of points on the PP and bouwmeester could have a slight improvement as a result. Gio can hopefully continue to adjust to be our official #1 guy. Hudler I can see getting 50 as he will have a bigger role in Calgary, Glencross I can see getting 30 goals and being on pace for what he was last year. The rest are just kind of guesses based on last year.

BigTree92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 12:16 AM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
I have the solution to the center problem. The Flames need to pick up Mike Comrie and have him center Cammalleri and Iginla.
Are you being serious?

Old
08-26-2012, 12:35 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Are you being serious?
I hear he is in great shape

Old
08-26-2012, 01:03 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

Every year a team normally has at least one player that breaks out and exceeds expectations. I'm predicting that player to be Brodie for the Flames this season.

Old
08-26-2012, 01:08 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Every year a team normally has at least one player that breaks out and exceeds expectations. I'm predicting that player to be Brodie for the Flames this season.
It would be great great if he would we could have the potential to have 4 ~30+ point defenseman. I personally don't think he will this year because I doubt he gets the pp time he will need but I hope I am wrong. I think with all of this skilled players we will need a physical big body to screen the goalie on the pp and a player to "protect" Sven as well as help him out defensively so I think Comeau will "break out" or "bounce back" to a 20-20 guy aka Glencross 2.0

Old
08-26-2012, 01:21 AM
MarkGio

Quote:
I think Aliu will have a good year. Maybe not 40+ points, but still very productive in his role. Given what Feaster and Weisbrod said about him, I believe they traded for him for a reason.

Quote:
"In his two games with our club he showed that he is a very good skater, is willing to play a strong physical game and can also score goals at the NHL level," Feaster said. "We really like the tools Akim possesses and the passion he brings to his game. We are confident that, given Akim's talent and ability, along with his solid work ethic, if he also continues to believe in his coaches and our organizational commitment to him, he will soon realize his dream of becoming a full-time player in the NHL."
Quote:
Weisbrod said, "I certainly think that he's one of the guys right in the wheelhouse to compete for a spot on our team this year. He's strong as an ox, and he's just fearless."

Old
08-26-2012, 01:24 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

It would also be great if Comeau could. Depending on line combo's and where Glencross plays, Comeau could be the best fit to have on the opposite wing of Sven. His speed and size would be a nice compliment to Baertschi. It wouldn't surprise me to see Comeau bounce back, to me his biggest issue is confidence which could be attributed somewhat to coaching.

Old
08-26-2012, 11:35 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
It would also be great if Comeau could. Depending on line combo's and where Glencross plays, Comeau could be the best fit to have on the opposite wing of Sven. His speed and size would be a nice compliment to Baertschi. It wouldn't surprise me to see Comeau bounce back, to me his biggest issue is confidence which could be attributed somewhat to coaching.
Yea I agree I honestly don't know why we brought back Stemps as I think the lines will be

Tanguay - Cammy - Iginla
Glencross - Cervenka - Hudler
Sven - Backlund/Stajan - Comeau
Bouma - Jones - Aliu
Jackman

Each line as a bit of grit (Iginla, Glencross, Comeau) and each line has at least one real good defensive player (Tanguay, Glencross, Backlund/Stajan, Comeau somewhat)

I think after training camp (when ever it is) we will see Stemps, Karlsson, and Babchuck moved for picks.

Old
08-26-2012, 12:10 PM
Savoie16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Yea I agree I honestly don't know why we brought back Stemps as I think the lines will be

Tanguay - Cammy - Iginla
Glencross - Cervenka - Hudler
Sven - Backlund/Stajan - Comeau
Bouma - Jones - Aliu
Jackman

Each line as a bit of grit (Iginla, Glencross, Comeau) and each line has at least one real good defensive player (Tanguay, Glencross, Backlund/Stajan, Comeau somewhat)

I think after training camp (when ever it is) we will see Stemps, Karlsson, and Babchuck moved for picks.
I'll be honest with you I dont understand why they resigned Steps if they expect Sven to make the leap to the NHL this year and then to make it even worst they signed Comeau and Hudler making one of the 4 mentioned players the odd man out or playing on the fourth line

Savoie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 01:50 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

Quote:
I think Aliu will have a good year. Maybe not 40+ points, but still very productive in his role. Given what Feaster and Weisbrod said about him, I believe they traded for him for a reason.
I agree with your assessment of Aliu, but I think 40+ pts may be a bit of a stretch next season only because of how tight it is going to be to get minutes.

Ultimately, as with all players it is going to be up to them to earn minutes. But as others are mentioning, if Feaster and Weisbrod want or think guys like Aliu, Horak and Byron will be right there competiting for spots, then why wouldn't of they left at least one open for them? Yes they can always make a trade, but they just resigned Backlund, Stempniak and Comeau. So if someone like Aliu has a good training camp, its inevitable that 2-3 guys are going to have to be moved by the end of camp.

Stempniak, Babchuk and Karlsson are obvious choices.

Old
08-26-2012, 02:03 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoie16 View Post
I'll be honest with you I dont understand why they resigned Steps if they expect Sven to make the leap to the NHL this year and then to make it even worst they signed Comeau and Hudler making one of the 4 mentioned players the odd man out or playing on the fourth line
I have almost no doubt itll be Comeau.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 03:23 PM
TheHudlinator

I made a poll to see who thought Tanev was better than Brodie (I don't think he is) and I am surprised so many do.

Old
08-26-2012, 03:25 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I made a poll to see who thought Tanev was better than Brodie (I don't think he is) and I am surprised so many do.
Most people haven't seen Brodie play, I wouldn't put much stock in it.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 03:29 PM
Ashasx

That and the Flames lack representation on this board.

Most people are just going to think of the Flames as a crap team with prospects.

It's funny in the Flames vs Canucks prospect thread how they all say the Canucks have more depth. Such ignorance.

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote