HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

The Fantasy Football Thread - The Playoffs

Old
08-25-2012, 01:50 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

vCash: 500
ok, looking at stats am I correct in thinking that the best defensive players are actually less valuable than a good kicker?

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 01:53 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
just a minor setback. it's fine. it ain't easy managing these things.
Usually it is

We'll go with the 5 pm draft time.

And yes Ogre, IDPs aren't too valuable on their own. I like using IDPs over team defense because it tends to reward active users who take the time to actually update their roster and line-ups weekly.

As for more worthwhile than a kicker...you gotta remember that the difference between the 8th best kicker in fantasy football is basically indiscernible from the 20th best kicker...and we've got 12 teams. Projecting IDP worth is difficult, but the difference between a top tier fantasy cornerback(usually not the same thing as a top tier real life corner, as nobody is going to throw to them meaning they're not going to get many tackles or chances at interceptions usually) and a middling corner is definitely much higher.

I've won a couple fantasy titles on the backs of my defensive players before. Getting an extra couple points here and there from having an Ed Reed in his prime is definitely more valuable than any one of the three kickers I'll tend to go through in a season

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 01:55 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
ok, looking at stats am I correct in thinking that the best defensive players are actually less valuable than a good kicker?
basically. with few exceptions. your average kicker will probably get you 120-140 points. the best linebackers can get you 140-150.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 02:03 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Usually it is

We'll go with the 5 pm draft time.

And yes Ogre, IDPs aren't too valuable on their own. I like using IDPs over team defense because it tends to reward active users who take the time to actually update their roster and line-ups weekly.

As for more worthwhile than a kicker...you gotta remember that the difference between the 8th best kicker in fantasy football is basically indiscernible from the 20th best kicker...and we've got 12 teams. Projecting IDP worth is difficult, but the difference between a top tier fantasy cornerback(usually not the same thing as a top tier real life corner, as nobody is going to throw to them meaning they're not going to get many tackles or chances at interceptions usually) and a middling corner is definitely much higher.

I've won a couple fantasy titles on the backs of my defensive players before. Getting an extra couple points here and there from having an Ed Reed in his prime is definitely more valuable than any one of the three kickers I'll tend to go through in a season
well right, just looking at the top of each list.

got my excel sheets up and running. this **** just got real. too bad that doesn't help me know anything about depth chart changes or anything like that

Old
08-25-2012, 02:06 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Yeah that sucks but it's not the end of the world. Just have to find something to do for a couple hours.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 02:06 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Is there a list of defensive players somewhere? All sites only team defense rankings.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 02:09 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
Is there a list of defensive players somewhere? All sites only team defense rankings.
http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...position-data/

http://fftoday.com/rankings/playerrank.php?o=1&PosID=50

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/byposition?pos=LB

alright, I'm done helping you jags. my other league with my high school buddies would just laugh at me if I asked for help granted, they'd also laugh if I tried to offer help

Old
08-25-2012, 02:10 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Guess I wasn't looking hard enough.

Old
08-25-2012, 02:13 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Yeah drafting defensive players is entirely new to me.

Old
08-25-2012, 02:13 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
Guess I wasn't looking hard enough.

I literally just googled Individual Defensive Player Fantasy Rankings

Old
08-25-2012, 02:15 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
I literally just googled Individual Defensive Player Fantasy Rankings
I googled 2012 Fantasy Football defensive player rankings, nothing but last years stuff lol.

Old
08-25-2012, 02:39 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

nobody draft NaVorro Bowman ok.

Old
08-25-2012, 05:38 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

closed the window. I literally couldn't name you half of my team

Old
08-25-2012, 05:44 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
closed the window. I literally couldn't name you half of my team
i've already dropped somebody

Old
08-26-2012, 07:51 AM
Penguins23
Le Magnifique

I'm not gonna lie. I won't be able to take this league seriously. Way way way too many defensive players.

Why couldn't we just do that same thing as previous years?

08-26-2012, 08:05 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguins23 View Post
I'm not gonna lie. I won't be able to take this league seriously. Way way way too many defensive players.

wasn't that a different league run by Karnage?

and didn't you look at the roster and scoring stuff when signing up and before drafting?

Old
08-26-2012, 08:22 AM
Penguins23
Le Magnifique

Quote:
wasn't that a different league run by Karnage?

and didn't you look at the roster and scoring stuff when signing up and before drafting?
Yeah it was on ESPN last year.

I just assumed since I had been doing this for 5 years roughly that it was the same as usual so no I didn't look at the settings. It is my fault I know.

Penguins23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 08:32 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:

I just assumed since I had been doing this for 5 years roughly that it was the same as usual so no I didn't look at the settings. It is my fault I know.
I know Karnage posted something a page back so check with him about his league.

Old
08-26-2012, 09:17 AM
Pick87your71Poison

I missed the last few rounds and had put a bunch of IDP players on my watch list since Yahoo's rankings are a joke so I have way too many nw and some really good ones like Cushing, Tuck, D. Washington I'm looking to unload for some depth type RB and stuff if anyone needs anything

Pick87your71Poison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 10:12 AM
Gooch

Quote:

Once you go independent defensive player system you never look back. The team defense is a horrible way to do fantasy, in many cases it's just pure luck. This way you can actually select individual players and your score coming out of your defense is more a matter of who you picked rather than what random lucky team defense had a good game that week or if their opponent was a puffball or not.

This also gives you more things you can watch in a game since you will have fantasy players on both sides of the ball, it makes sundays much more interesting.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 10:14 AM
Gooch

Quote:

That was my league last year on ESPN. With 2 leagues this year I was asked about resurrecting it but there were barely enough people filling these leagues so I didnt see the reason for a 3rd although I do prefer the ESPN format over yahoo any day of the week. Especially on gamedays with the streaming coverage, it's much better.

That league was standard scoring format (team defense) its boring, I much prefer the independent defensive player format and if I really had my way I like a league where touchdown points are taken down a good peg and stats like completions and yards for QB's are given more value and yards for RB's and receptions and yards for WR's are given more value.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 10:31 AM
Smoke
dip,dip potato chip

vCash: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
That league was standard scoring format (team defense) its boring, I much prefer the independent defensive player format and if I really had my way I like a league where touchdown points are taken down a good peg and stats like completions and yards for QB's are given more value and yards for RB's and receptions and yards for WR's are given more value.
6 points for the player scoring a touchdown? Absurd!

Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 11:43 AM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
Once you go independent defensive player system you never look back. The team defense is a horrible way to do fantasy, in many cases it's just pure luck. This way you can actually select individual players and your score coming out of your defense is more a matter of who you picked rather than what random lucky team defense had a good game that week or if their opponent was a puffball or not.

This also gives you more things you can watch in a game since you will have fantasy players on both sides of the ball, it makes sundays much more interesting.
It's no more luck than any other aspect of FF. I'll give it a try with this league & see how it goes but as of now I'm not sold on it.

Old
08-26-2012, 12:54 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
It's no more luck than any other aspect of FF. I'll give it a try with this league & see how it goes but as of now I'm not sold on it.
its not so much luck as it is just swapping your d for the best available matchup every week.

Old
08-26-2012, 02:50 PM
Karnage420

room for 2 more in the Yahoo PPR IDP league.

League ID#: 343253
League Name: HF Pens
Password: crosby

once its full we can talk draft date/time.

IDPs really arent that hard to project. its mostly tackle based with bonuses for sacks/ints.

also i agree with the "too many D players" thought. That was how i had my league set up two years ago, thought i'd give it one more shot with you guys to see how it played out.

Last year i changed to what we are using now.
1 LB
1 DL
1 CB
1 S

in my close friends league for money we are doing it with 2 S since the position is quite deep.

Karnage420 is offline   Reply With Quote