HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hockey cards

Closed Thread

Old
08-25-2012, 03:47 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

vCash: 500
Jesus. NHL crest cards... The cheapest I've seen those were for 250... and they were nobodies.

I started a Steve Mason collection when he was good. Now he sucks and his cards' value sucks, too.

Old
08-25-2012, 03:59 PM
punk_o_holic

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Jesus. NHL crest cards... The cheapest I've seen those were for 250... and they were nobodies.

I started a Steve Mason collection when he was good. Now he sucks and his cards' value sucks, too.
Speaking of which, I forgot to post this. I got it for my team p.c. and because it was on the cheaper side, compared to other players.

I tried picking up another Mason card the other week but lost out. The card still went for cheap though compared to other players. It went in the price range that you were talking about($220ish but it was a redemption).

Old
08-25-2012, 04:25 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
Speaking of which, I forgot to post this. I got it for my team p.c. and because it was on the cheaper side, compared to other players.

I tried picking up another Mason card the other week but lost out. The card still went for cheap though compared to other players. It went in the price range that you were talking about($220ish but it was a redemption).
If it was from eBay, redemption tend to sell for less because once you receive the card with the code, you then have to wait 6-8 weeks (estimated time) to get it. However, it's in a hard case, sleeve and straight from the manufacturer should be in top notch shape.

I've just bought a Patrick Roy card with Manon Rheaume too. I probably overpaid at 30 bucks for it, but it has the only female to play (to date) with one of the greatest goalies ever. Had to add that to my collection.

Seller said it was limited to 10,000.

Old
08-25-2012, 10:01 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Can anyone recommend me a famous or nice looking and cheap must-have hockey cards? This is just for me to collect and not sell so I don't care about value, was just ordering a few for some recently retired players and wanted to add in a few famous cards. Preferably for players who were playing in the league as of '97 or any time later.

Old
08-25-2012, 10:30 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:

I hate those crest cards. You can buy a game used jersey for the same or less than the crest cards themselves, ha ha.

Old
08-25-2012, 10:31 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
My vote is for Upper Deck. They actually understand how to improve the hobby. Upper Deck produces the two best brands out there for your purposes...O Pee Chee and the regular UD brand. Young Guns is the best and can only be found in UD.
That's debatable.

Old
08-25-2012, 10:32 PM
j12

I have a shoebox of cards from the early-late 90s, a few going back into the late 80s but nothing of significance apart from this Lindros card here.

I've had this card for 20+ years and distinctly remember picking it out as a 5 or 6 year old for my birthday present. It has never left its original case. There is no brand name on either side of the card (I believe based on the similar card posted below, the card was produce by Aamer, whoever that is). It's numbered 1681 out of 10,000. Absolute mint condition. Every few years I look on ebay or do a google search of Lindros cards to see if anyone else has one, but I have never seen another. The only one that comes close is this one:

Anyone have any thoughts on it? I doubt it's worth much, but it certainly seems rare, and it's the card that I keep coming back to whenever I sort through my old collection.

Old
08-26-2012, 10:52 AM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

vCash: 120
I was just offered this trade, Im unsure if I want to do it or not. What do you all think?

I give: 2011-12 Upper Deck Young Guns: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

I get: 2011-12 Titanium Rookie Private Signings: Gabriel Landeskog
2011-12 Upper Deck Young Guns: Gabriel Landeskog

Old
08-26-2012, 11:05 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I don't know the value of any of those cards, but Nugent-Hopkins plays on a Canadian team, he is Canadian and afaic, he's better than Landeskog, so his cards will be sought after much more.

Nugent Hopkins rookie:
I've seen one for 80 (buy it now)
150 (buy it now + graded 9.5)
56 dollars (9 bids 1d 3h to go)
29.77 (0 bids 2 days 7h)

Landeskog young guns
29.72 (buy it now)
25.79 (buy it now)

Titanium signings
79.37 (buy it now)
59.53 (1 bid 6 days left)
98.24 (buy it now)
59.53 (buy it now)
62.65 (buy it now)

Old
08-26-2012, 04:22 PM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

Quote:
I don't know the value of any of those cards, but Nugent-Hopkins plays on a Canadian team, he is Canadian and afaic, he's better than Landeskog, so his cards will be sought after much more.

Nugent Hopkins rookie:
I've seen one for 80 (buy it now)
150 (buy it now + graded 9.5)
56 dollars (9 bids 1d 3h to go)
29.77 (0 bids 2 days 7h)

Landeskog young guns
29.72 (buy it now)
25.79 (buy it now)

Titanium signings
79.37 (buy it now)
59.53 (1 bid 6 days left)
98.24 (buy it now)
59.53 (buy it now)
62.65 (buy it now)
I just looked on eBay, I can buy a Landeskog YG for $14.88 + $2.23 for shipping. So, I think i'm going to hang on to the Nugent-Hopkins, unless a deal comes along that I cannot pass up.

The only thing that had me unsure was that Landeskog is a Calder winner and is on a bubble team, meaning he is closer to Lord Stanley. Nugent-Hopkins is a 1st overall pick, on a bottom-5(for now) team, and dealt with shoulder problems. If he keeps getting injured and cannot play, the value goes down.

Old
08-26-2012, 04:55 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Those Upper Deck Young Gun rookie cards from now are terrible, just plane black with a bit of text on the back. It's a shame people put value in them because they're rookie cards, I'd rather get something nice looking for cheap even if it's value never goes up.

Old
08-26-2012, 05:32 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by rey72335 View Post
I just looked on eBay, I can buy a Landeskog YG for $14.88 + $2.23 for shipping. So, I think i'm going to hang on to the Nugent-Hopkins, unless a deal comes along that I cannot pass up.

The only thing that had me unsure was that Landeskog is a Calder winner and is on a bubble team, meaning he is closer to Lord Stanley. Nugent-Hopkins is a 1st overall pick, on a bottom-5(for now) team, and dealt with shoulder problems. If he keeps getting injured and cannot play, the value goes down.
If the injuries do persist his value will go down, but a lot of value is based on good players who are popular.

I'd argue that Lidstrom's career is and will be far more impressive than Crosby, Ovechkin, Price, etc but his cards are pretty worthless in comparison to the other players because he wasn't as popular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Those Upper Deck Young Gun rookie cards from now are terrible, just plane black with a bit of text on the back. It's a shame people put value in them because they're rookie cards, I'd rather get something nice looking for cheap even if it's value never goes up.
I have a hologram Ray Bourque card for him winning the Norris in the early 90's that's worth a dollar... maybe. The young gun cards are worth as much as they are do to demand and lack of production.

Old
08-27-2012, 11:25 PM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

I added two more cards to the collection:

2011-12 Ultimate Collections: Ultimate Signatures - John Tavares

2011-12 Upper Deck: Rookie Materials - Sean Couturier

I paid $10 for the Tavares, and $3.50 for the Couturier.

Old
08-30-2012, 09:33 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Can anyone tell me a bit about hockey card shows/expos or whatever? I know that the Toronto Sport Card Expo happens in Mississauga which is good, any other ones around Mississauga?

What should you look for as a beginner collector? I have absolutely no interest in paying for high end cards, I'd rather get a cheap set with a bunch of cards or find base cards for my favourite players so are card shows a good place to go for that type of thing or are they just for hardcore collectors? Any other advice for the Toronto one as a buyer (such as which vendors are good for buying 90-2000s base sets from)?

Old
08-30-2012, 09:45 PM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

Quote:
Can anyone tell me a bit about hockey card shows/expos or whatever? I know that the Toronto Sport Card Expo happens in Mississauga which is good, any other ones around Mississauga?

What should you look for as a beginner collector? I have absolutely no interest in paying for high end cards, I'd rather get a cheap set with a bunch of cards or find base cards for my favourite players so are card shows a good place to go for that type of thing or are they just for hardcore collectors? Any other advice for the Toronto one as a buyer (such as which vendors are good for buying 90-2000s base sets from)?
For a beginner, i'd suggest something such as O-Pee-Chee, Score, or even Upper Deck Victory. They're usually cheap, around $1.00 a pack or so. They're meant more for kids to collect, as opposed to sets such as The Cup.

As for the Card Expo's, i've never been to one so I can't really contribute to that. One thing I do like though, is that sometimes Beckett will go to the Expo's for card grading. I have no idea how much it would cost though.

Old
08-30-2012, 11:22 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Quote:
I added two more cards to the collection:

2011-12 Ultimate Collections: Ultimate Signatures - John Tavares

2011-12 Upper Deck: Rookie Materials - Sean Couturier

I paid $10 for the Tavares, and $3.50 for the Couturier.
I don't...what?

Old
08-31-2012, 12:13 AM
punk_o_holic

Anyone going to try Panini Prime? Comes out tomorrow although some cards have showed up on Ebay already. Cards look sweet but is a huge gamble. Think packs are $200ish for 5 cards*. I think I will try one because I mentioned it to the shop owner that I would be interested.

*pack contains 1 of each...
Base
Rookie Auto Quad memorabilia card #'d 199 or less
Multi Memorabilia card
An Autograph card
An additional card comprising of an autograph or memorabilia card

Old
08-31-2012, 12:20 AM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
Anyone going to try Panini Prime? Comes out tomorrow although some cards have showed up on Ebay already. Cards look sweet but is a huge gamble. Think packs are $200ish for 5 cards*. I think I will try one because I mentioned it to the shop owner that I would be interested.

*pack contains 1 of each...
Base
Rookie Auto Quad memorabilia card #'d 199 or less
Multi Memorabilia card
An Autograph card
An additional card comprising of an autograph or memorabilia card
Love the look of those cards but they are way out of my price range. Hopefully some singles will fall through to me on ebay and I can at least get the guys for my PC.

Old
08-31-2012, 12:22 AM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
For a beginner, i'd suggest something such as O-Pee-Chee, Score, or even Upper Deck Victory. They're usually cheap, around $1.00 a pack or so. They're meant more for kids to collect, as opposed to sets such as The Cup.
As for the Card Expo's, i've never been to one so I can't really contribute to that. One thing I do like though, is that sometimes Beckett will go to the Expo's for card grading. I have no idea how much it would cost though.
So, it is assumed that intelligent adults collect the expensive cards because it is much smarter to spend $5/pack?

Old
08-31-2012, 12:48 AM
punk_o_holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl thrasher344 View Post
Love the look of those cards but they are way out of my price range. Hopefully some singles will fall through to me on ebay and I can at least get the guys for my PC.
To tell you the truth, probably the smarter thing to do. The hope of hitting something big in just 1 pack is going to be slim for me. I'm hoping that he sells out so I don't need to buy a pack, especially now that I know that there are no Markstrom cards in the set. Then with the money saved, like you, I will just buy Jack Johnson singles off of ebay or off of some guy that I know that opens cases of cards and sells everything. Anyhow, if he has a pack for me, here's hoping that it's better then my 7 packs of Ultimate. This could also mean I might not have money for the Cup.

Old
08-31-2012, 01:13 AM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
So, it is assumed that intelligent adults collect the expensive cards because it is much smarter to spend $5/pack?
I'm saying that the reason OPC and Score are so cheap is because they're meant more towards kids and beginners collecting. Think about it, a kid who is in it to collect their favourite player, are they going to buy 5 packs for $5 or 1 for $5? You're getting what you pay for, a bunch of base cards, a few inserts, and maybe just maybe, a jersey piece.

Most adults are in it to have an actual collection to show, or to make money off of. That's why they buy the $5 packs, or the $100 boxes. It's for people looking for hits, not just their favourite players. I don't bother with OPC or Score because I know i'm not getting much out of it. For the price I would pay trying to find a hit in those packs, I could buy a pack of the more expensive product and know i'm getting a hit. Yes i'm missing out on all the lovely base cards, but i'm not in it for that.

Old
08-31-2012, 01:20 AM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
I don't...what?
I'm unsure of what this is supposed to mean
If you're wondering how I got them for so little, t'was eBay.

Old
08-31-2012, 07:07 AM
Darnell Nurse
SMASHBROS2014

Best card ever

Old
08-31-2012, 11:45 AM
Kloparren
Hth

Anyone know when Upper Deck series one comes out? Mid-September? And if there's a full yr lockout then will they not produce Series 2? I think in that case I'd skip buying it and buy it the yr after because they would both show 2011/12 as the last season for the stats.

Anyway, designed my first card using Photoshop (haven't done the back yet). It took a lot longer to do than designing with Photoscape for the Staios card and actually looks worst lol. Trying to do a mix between a vintage card and modern card did not go well. Anyways, found an awesome picture of Laperriere and gonna design a card from that one next. Btw it has like 5 logos to show all the teams he played for but it didn't work out that well, think I'll make them smaller and put them at the bottom.

Also if someone has a paragraph as a write-up on his career that I can put on the back of it then let me know.

Also found one with him blocking a shot but it's hard to put into a card based on the angle.
http://www2.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/I...NwOZkiw96x.jpg

Old
08-31-2012, 12:07 PM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

Quote:
Anyone know when Upper Deck series one comes out? Mid-September? And if there's a full yr lockout then will they not produce Series 2? I think in that case I'd skip buying it and buy it the yr after because they would both show 2011/12 as the last season for the stats.

Anyway, designed my first card using Photoshop (haven't done the back yet). It took a lot longer to do than designing with Photoscape for the Staios card and actually looks worst lol. Trying to do a mix between a vintage card and modern card did not go well. Anyways, found an awesome picture of Laperriere and gonna design a card from that one next. Btw it has like 5 logos to show all the teams he played for but it didn't work out that well, think I'll make them smaller and put them at the bottom.

Also if someone has a paragraph as a write-up on his career that I can put on the back of it then let me know.

Also found one with him blocking a shot but it's hard to put into a card based on the angle.
http://www2.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/I...NwOZkiw96x.jpg
Series 1 comes out November 8th. If you don't feel like waiting that long, Artifacts comes out September 11th.

Closed Thread