HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

World cup in junior hockey teams

Old
08-26-2012, 10:15 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

vCash: 500
I support Schnurvel´s statement. LHC was good team, IMO best at tourney. LHC is only team which won over Sudbury and was 1.7 to make final. Congratulations to all teams. Great tourney.

vorky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 10:18 AM
espo*

So in your opinion you think it's LHC and not Waterloo that was the winner of the prestigious and highly coveted overall body of work title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
I support Schnurvel´s statement. LHC was good team, IMO best at tourney. LHC is only team which won over Sudbury and was 1.7 to make final. Congratulations to all teams. Great tourney.

espo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 10:19 AM
IMCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnurvel View Post
You don't say??

They were definitely a good enough team (they did beat Sudbury 6-3 three days ago), it just wasn't their day yesterday, simple as that.

Anyway, I don't care, we got a medal and one of our boys is the MVP so I'm happy now.
Fair enough point but could it also be that three days ago it wasn't Sudbury's day. Works both ways. So ya Sweden would have been competitive in this game but to say they would crush Sudbury is ridiculous.

IMCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 10:19 AM
espo*

Well, it seemed like you didn't understand.

Quote:
You don't say??

They were definitely a good enough team (they did beat Sudbury 6-3 three days ago), it just wasn't their day yesterday, simple as that.

Anyway, I don't care, we got a medal and one of our boys is the MVP so I'm happy now.

Old
08-26-2012, 10:23 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfrilla View Post
Sudbury wins the final 2-0
Looks like Waterloo met their Waterloo! Not the first team to seem like the best during the round robin (read the Stanley Cup disappearances of the Boston Bruins, Pittsburgh Penguins and Washington Capitals after being No. 1 seeds with great regular season records). Maybe Waterloo was overrated, and just couldn't deliver the goods when it really mattered, or maybe Sudbury was better than they played over the course of the tournament. Based on their performance in the last game against the Wolves, Linkoping would have probably had a good chance to walk away with the trophy. Because of the lack of streams, I never saw Sudbury play. But the Canadian chest-thumping that has already started up on this thread is totally unwarranted. Congratulations for winning, but there was no evidence of any kind of dominance or higher level of quality from the CHL entry. They lost two games, and survived some squeaker-close games throughout the tournament, including the final. But I do believe that winning will take the pressure off to send a league champion, which would carry some risk to the brand if the CHL entry lost.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
You don't say??

It wasn't their day yesterday? I agree.

It wasn't Sudburys day when they lost....maybe?

It wasn't Waterloos day today....maybe?

Whatever. Good tournament, great teams and it could have been won by anyone, as long as it's their day.

I hate the nationalism in this tournament though. Sudbury had 2 Americans and Waterloo had 2 Canadians......put away the flags and enjoy the hockey.

2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 10:27 AM
espo*

Fans on the losing side always seem to parot this stuff.

They won didn't they?

And that's all that matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
Looks like Waterloo met their Waterloo! Not the first team to seem like the best during the round robin (read the Stanley Cup disappearances of the Boston Bruins, Pittsburgh Penguins and Washington Capitals after being No. 1 seeds with great regular season records). Maybe Waterloo was overrated, and just couldn't deliver the goods when it really mattered, or maybe Sudbury was better than they played over the course of the tournament. Based on their performance in the last game against the Wolves, Linkoping would have probably had a good chance to walk away with the trophy. Because of the lack of streams, I never saw Sudbury play. But the Canadian chest-thumping that has already started up on this thread is totally unwarranted. Congratulations for winning, but there was no evidence of any kind of dominance or higher level of quality from the CHL entry. They lost two games, and survived some squeaker-close games throughout the tournament, including the final. But I do believe that winning will take the pressure off to send a league champion, which would carry some risk to the brand if the CHL entry lost.

Old
08-26-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Too bad Linköping missed the final, we would have crushed Sudbury (again)... Oh well, at least we got a medal in the end.

Also, congrats to Jesper Pettersson, tourney MVP and best D-man, awesome!
Quote:
Chest thumping? People were replying to the "we would have crushed Sudbury (again)" hardy chest thumping.

Old
08-26-2012, 10:31 AM
espo*

I see we are under a "yak attack" because a Canadian team won another tournament.

We better get used to it because there will be a lot more of this going forward in the future.

Old
08-26-2012, 10:35 AM
IMCanadian

Quote:
Only chest pumping in this thread is from a fan of the third place team. He was obviously trolling with his "We would have crushed them" statement and now he is getting it back...and what he is getting back are the facts.

Old
08-26-2012, 10:38 AM
IMCanadian

The one thing OHL fans should take away from this tournament is that Josh Leivo is a very underrated player. Last year playing in the shadow of Sgarbossa. Probably one of the hardest workers in the OHL. Never gives up on a play and with the skill to finish. Should be a good year for him.

Old
08-26-2012, 10:48 AM

I think the game was pretty even.....if anything I'll give Waterloo a slight edge.
Sudbury got a couple of breaks and capitalized on them.

The USHL will only get stronger and that's good for N.A. hockey.

Old
08-26-2012, 10:56 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2525 View Post
I think the game was pretty even.....if anything I'll give Waterloo a slight edge.

Agreed! Was very impressed with the level of play from the Waterloo boys! It only bodes well for further growth of the game south of the border. Maybe we'll get the opportunity to see more inter-league play... not sure if there has been any to date...something worth considering.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 11:00 AM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Quote:

The game was pretty even though I felt Sudbury seemed more dangerous overall with their execution and the chances they created. They deserved the win.

I'd say the tournament was a real success this year and the competition overall was very even. Most of the teams involved could have beaten any other team on any given day and as such a number of different teams could have won the tournament.

I would still like to see a strong CHL team participate though I agree that given the fact that Sudbury won that's not likely to happen as of now.

cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 11:19 AM
Mr Writer

on a side note. OHL camps open tomorrow, has there been any buzz around junior cities in Ont. especially Ancaster for the Erie Otters and phenom McDavid? I am making a point of travelling to London to see this kid play in late Sept. Saw him play once and he's jaw dropping good. Forget the NHL, this year in Canadian junior hockey there's a wealth of talent entering the O.

Old
08-26-2012, 11:35 AM
derbyfan

Some random thoughts on the tournament, and final today which I viewed online:

Waterloo impressed me. They were fast, disciplined and showed some creativity on offense. The USHL has come a long way for sure. I wasn't surprised that they made it to the final, in fact I was expecting it. Waterloo also plays on an Olympic size ice surface at their home rink, so they know the big ice and used it to their advantage.

I felt the Wolves experience in facing better competition on a regular basis in the OHL showed through in the end. After seeing teams like Niagara, Barrie, Kitchener, London etc., there's nothing a team like Waterloo can throw at them that they haven't seen before.
Having guys like Sefton, Leivo etc. in the lineup makes a big difference. Waterloo's skill guys were nice to watch, but definitely on the smaller side.

What to take from this? Kudos to the USHL, as I said they've made big strides. I'll be interested in seeing how both teams do in league play this year. If Waterloo really is the 'loaded' powerhouse people are saying they are this season. As for Sudbury, most predictions have them as a lower-tier team who will be lucky to make the playoffs.

I loved this tournament, and really wish there were more inter-league events like it. I do think though now that since a team like Sudbury was able to take the title, the CHL will likely follow the same recipe next year and pick a mid-range team rather than a powerhouse. In my opinion (and I'm sure I'll take some flack for this), but if the OHL would have sent one of their more powerful squads to the tourney, you would have seen a lot of the 9-1 type scores like Sudbury put up against Finland.

derbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 12:01 PM
Schnurvel

Quote:
It wasn't their day yesterday? I agree.

It wasn't Sudburys day when they lost....maybe?

It wasn't Waterloos day today....maybe?

Whatever. Good tournament, great teams and it could have been won by anyone, as long as it's their day.

I hate the nationalism in this tournament though. Sudbury had 2 Americans and Waterloo had 2 Canadians......put away the flags and enjoy the hockey.
*sigh* My point is that they were a second away from the final when Waterloo tied the score. It's not like when Sudbury lost 3-6 or today when Waterloo didn't even score.

Seriously, what is the deal with you Canadians? You just won the whole thing (congrats to Sudbury, btw), why are you still looking to pick on people and act like idiots?

Schnurvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 12:25 PM
BigBuck

Quote:
*sigh* My point is that they were a second away from the final when Waterloo tied the score. It's not like when Sudbury lost 3-6 or today when Waterloo didn't even score.

Seriously, what is the deal with you Canadians? You just won the whole thing (congrats to Sudbury, btw), why are you still looking to pick on people and act like idiots?
You are the guy that started this by saying "Too bad Linköping missed the final, we would have crushed Sudbury (again)... " Seriously,what is the deal with you Swedes? Give it a rest they finished 3rd...and you don't lose 3-6 in Canada you lose 6-3.

BigBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 12:30 PM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbyfan View Post

Waterloo impressed me. They were fast, disciplined and showed some creativity on offense. The USHL has come a long way for sure. I wasn't surprised that they made it to the final, in fact I was expecting it. Waterloo also plays on an Olympic size ice surface at their home rink, so they know the big ice and used it to their advantage.

I felt the Wolves experience in facing better competition on a regular basis in the OHL showed through in the end. After seeing teams like Niagara, Barrie, Kitchener, London etc., there's nothing a team like Waterloo can throw at them that they haven't seen before.
Having guys like Sefton, Leivo etc. in the lineup makes a big difference. Waterloo's skill guys were nice to watch, but definitely on the smaller side.

What to take from this? Kudos to the USHL, as I said they've made big strides. I'll be interested in seeing how both teams do in league play this year. If Waterloo really is the 'loaded' powerhouse people are saying they are this season. As for Sudbury, most predictions have them as a lower-tier team who will be lucky to make the playoffs.

I loved this tournament, and really wish there were more inter-league events like it. I do think though now that since a team like Sudbury was able to take the title, the CHL will likely follow the same recipe next year and pick a mid-range team rather than a powerhouse. In my opinion (and I'm sure I'll take some flack for this), but if the OHL would have sent one of their more powerful squads to the tourney, you would have seen a lot of the 9-1 type scores like Sudbury put up against Finland.
True, but I'd like to see it just once! Just once HC, send the Memorial Cup Champs.

Old
08-26-2012, 12:42 PM
IMCanadian

Quote:

I suggest you re-read the posts. Most people are saying that the top 3 teams could have won this tournament on any given day. We are reacting to your "crush" statement.

This is the way tournaments go. You have to get into the finals to have a chance. A bounce here or there and things could be different. But that's hockey.

Old
08-26-2012, 12:45 PM
IMCanadian

Quote:
As for Sudbury, most predictions have them as a lower-tier team who will be lucky to make the playoffs.
I actually think Sudbury has a decent team this year. Probably middle of the tier like last year. They lose the leagues top scorer in Sgarbosa but they still have depth and seem to be solid in goal and on defense. Should make the playoffs.

Old
08-26-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:

Huh? First off I don't see this as a team representing Canada or the USA. Even if Sudbury had the Canadian flag, or the US had their flag in the dressing room or their flag stitched to their sweaters. The tournament organizers should have said right from the start NO FRIGGIN FLAGS ANYWHERE!! I see it as a team representing the OHL and a team representing the USHL.

As for your post. Yes, they were seconds away from the final. The team that beat them in the shootout LOST to the team they beat earlier 6-3.
Just because they beat Sudbury 6-3 in one game doesn't mean they would have (as you put it) crushed them if they had played in the final. But they might have, yet, Sudbury might have crushed them or the game could have gone to a shootout...we'll never know.

In sports nothing is guaranteed. We see top seeds lose championships all the time.
And in one game championships anything can happen. Too many penalties, stupid moves, not having it that day, a hot goalie, lucky bounces etc.
Sudbury won today. Tomorrow, Waterloo could win. Tuesday the team representing the Swedish junior league could win.

I'm not sure how you can say we're picking on anyone and acting like idiots but if it makes you feel good...oh well.... Que Sera, Sera.

Last edited by 2525: 08-26-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old
08-26-2012, 01:13 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:

I agree that Sudbury was probably able to draw on more extensive competitive experience than Waterloo to help them win. That is a big advantage for the CHL among the youth categories, because other countries, including the United States, just don't have the multiple levels of highly competitive hockey leagues at early ages that are found in Canada. In Russia, they are trying to remedy the lack of youth competition through the MHL, which is still in its infant stages. Omsk's performance in this tournament was disappointing, but it will be mined for lessons learned that can be used to build on.

The point about OHL's teams winning World Cup games by a 9-1 margin falls into the category of speculative extrapolation. It doesn't exist in the real world. Why not speculate about scores of 14-1 or 19-1? It also implies that the difference between upper-tier and lower-tier CHL teams is huge. If that is true, then the CHL would benefit greatly from the European system of demoting losing teams to lower-level leagues (Junior B) when they are rarely or never able to successfully compete against upper-tier teams. But I have never seen any data to show that. Last season, if Sudbury was in the bottom 50% of the OHL, did they win any games against teams in the upper 50%? I am curious as to how vast is the gap between the upper half and the lower half of the OHL?

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
I agree that Sudbury was probably able to draw on more extensive competitive experience than Waterloo to help them win. That is a big advantage for the CHL among the youth categories, because other countries, including the United States, just don't have the multiple levels of highly competitive hockey leagues at early ages that are found in Canada. In Russia, they are trying to remedy the lack of youth competition through the MHL, which is still in its infant stages. Omsk's performance in this tournament was disappointing, but it will be mined for lessons learned that can be used to build on.

The point about OHL's teams winning World Cup games by a 9-1 margin falls into the category of speculative extrapolation. It doesn't exist in the real world. Why not speculate about scores of 14-1 or 19-1? It also implies that the difference between upper-tier and lower-tier CHL teams is huge. If that is true, then the CHL would benefit greatly from the European system of demoting losing teams to lower-level leagues (Junior B) when they are rarely or never able to successfully compete against upper-tier teams. But I have never seen any data to show that. Last season, if Sudbury was in the bottom 50% of the OHL, did they win any games against teams in the upper 50%? I am curious as to how vast is the gap between the upper half and the lower half of the OHL?
I can't speak for Europe but you're dead wrong about the USA. High end competitive youth hockey in the US is definitely on par with Canada.

Old
08-26-2012, 02:06 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Anyone that watched have an updates on how Frankie Corrado played?

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote