*OFFICIAL* Soo Greyhounds 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
08-01-2012, 02:45 PM
IcemanTBI

vCash: 500
Curcurutto traded to Plymouth for Dempsey and Mascarin

http://www.soogreyhounds.com/article...s-whalers-deal

Starting to get some faith in Dubas now. This is a really good trade. Curcurutto had a sub-par season last year.. sure he can rebound, but we got two good players. Dempsey had a stellar year with Plymouth, netting 38 goals and 34 assists for 72 points, and brings an edge to the team with 76 PIM, something the hounds sorely lacked from last year. We also get Mascarin, who has a physical side to him.

I know Curcurtto has alot of upside, and I did expect him to rebound this year, but I think we got a really good trade here.

Old
08-01-2012, 02:47 PM
Petes1

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanTBI View Post

Starting to get some faith in Dubas now. This is a really good trade. Curcurutto had a sub-par season last year.. sure he can rebound, but we got two good players. Dempsey had a stellar year with Plymouth, netting 38 goals and 34 assists for 72 points, and brings an edge to the team with 76 PIM, something the hounds sorely lacked from last year. We also get Mascarin, who has a physical side to him.

I know Curcurtto has alot of upside, and I did expect him to rebound this year, but I think we got a really good trade here.
That was 2 years ago in minor midget with Cambridge, last season he had 5 points in 34 games with Plymouth.

Old
08-01-2012, 02:50 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:

Actually the stats u quoted for Dempsey was in his draft yr
Last yr in his rookie campaign with Plymouth he notched 1 goal and 4 assists in 34 games
He is however a year younger than Curcuruto and with his size bring much needed snarl to the Hounds lineup
Good trade for both clubs

Old
08-02-2012, 10:00 AM
PacoSanchez15

I like the deal. Was pretty clear after the Gudbranson trade that Curcuruto's time was most likely done with the Hounds. He had a pretty miserable season last year, I'm thinking a change of scenery will be good for him.

Can anyone fill us in on Dempsey. He obviously has size but does he use it effectively and often? Judging by his draft year stats he would seem to have a scoring touch, would he fit in a top 6 role? How's his skating?

Right now depending on what Dubas does with Tolchinksy I would think he slides into the top 6:

Broll - Cousins - Fritsch
Dempsey - McCann - Schumacher

Old
08-02-2012, 10:10 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoSanchez15 View Post
I like the deal. Was pretty clear after the Gudbranson trade that Curcuruto's time was most likely done with the Hounds. He had a pretty miserable season last year, I'm thinking a change of scenery will be good for him.

Can anyone fill us in on Dempsey. He obviously has size but does he use it effectively and often? Judging by his draft year stats he would seem to have a scoring touch, would he fit in a top 6 role? How's his skating?

Right now depending on what Dubas does with Tolchinksy I would think he slides into the top 6:

Broll - Cousins - Fritsch
Dempsey - McCann - Schumacher
You see McCann as a top 6 as a 16 year old?

Old
08-02-2012, 10:21 AM
PacoSanchez15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
You see McCann as a top 6 as a 16 year old?
The Hounds don't have anyone else. Their centers last year were Cousins, Findlay (traded), Quesnele (unlikely to be back as an OA) and Halagian. They've talked about trying Petaccio at center this year but I can't see that working out well. So unless Dubas trades for someone I don't see how McCann doesn't at least start the season there.

Forgot about Jambrosich but I don't think he's got enough offense to play top 6.

Old
08-22-2012, 09:20 AM
Principal14

teams for training camp

are the teams posted for training camp anywhere?

Old
08-22-2012, 09:51 AM
PacoSanchez15

Training camp rosters haven't been announced yet. I would imagine they will be by the end of the week, maybe Monday at the latest.

They have started to add guys to the 2012-2013 roster on the OHL site. So far they have:

Forwards:
Fritsch (#7), Staples (#9), Dempsey (#11), Petaccio (#12), Jambrosich (#13), Kirkup (#15), Morgan (#16), Broll (#17), Halagian (#18), McCann (#19), Mascarin (#20), Alderson (#21), Schumacher (#26) and Cousins (#27).

Defense:
Fuller (#2), Turner (#3), Miller (#6), Mintz (#14), Spinozzi (#22), Gudbranson (#24), Nurse (#25), Clutsam (#37) and Sproul (#55).

Goalies:
Nichols (#29), Murray (#30) and Millen (#31).

Some notable absences are Quesnele and Durocher. Would appear they aren't even being asked to come into camp and compete, especially Durocher since Spinozzi has taken his number. I would imagine Millen is only listed because he played last year, being an OA I doubt he would be used as an emergency goalie this year.

Some guys changed numbers, Sproul goes to #55 obviously because of the Adam Foote number retirement. Halagian takes #18 with Dubchak's departure. Dempsey is wearing #11 this year, wore #32 last year with Plymouth. Kirkup wore #14 last year in the few games he played before Mintz arrived, he's got #15 now. Turner takes over #3 from Rogalski, wore #29 last year. Clutsam goes to #37 after wearing #15 last year. Gudbranson takes over Curcuruto's #24 after wearing #4 in Kingston.

Old
08-22-2012, 10:49 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
Training camp rosters haven't been announced yet. I would imagine they will be by the end of the week, maybe Monday at the latest.

They have started to add guys to the 2012-2013 roster on the OHL site. So far they have:

Forwards:
Fritsch (#7), Staples (#9), Dempsey (#11), Petaccio (#12), Jambrosich (#13), Kirkup (#15), Morgan (#16), Broll (#17), Halagian (#18), McCann (#19), Mascarin (#20), Alderson (#21), Schumacher (#26) and Cousins (#27).

Defense:
Fuller (#2), Turner (#3), Miller (#6), Mintz (#14), Spinozzi (#22), Gudbranson (#24), Nurse (#25), Clutsam (#37) and Sproul (#55).

Goalies:

Some notable absences are Quesnele and Durocher. Would appear they aren't even being asked to come into camp and compete, especially Durocher since Spinozzi has taken his number. I would imagine Millen is only listed because he played last year, being an OA I doubt he would be used as an emergency goalie this year.

Some guys changed numbers, Sproul goes to #55 obviously because of the Adam Foote number retirement. Halagian takes #18 with Dubchak's departure. Dempsey is wearing #11 this year, wore #32 last year with Plymouth. Kirkup wore #14 last year in the few games he played before Mintz arrived, he's got #15 now. Turner takes over #3 from Rogalski, wore #29 last year. Clutsam goes to #37 after wearing #15 last year. Gudbranson takes over Curcuruto's #24 after wearing #4 in Kingston.
Just looked at Broll's stats, 231lbs! Wow. Saw him last year at his gym in Oakville where my son trained and he is one BIG boy, akin to an inside linebacker. Can't help but think that playing at say 215-220lb. would do wonders for his mobility/quickness.....can't beleive the Leafs haven't mentioned this to him also. Dropping some weight I suspect would not mitigate his physical play either, just give him more explosiveness re the offensive side of the game....

Old
08-22-2012, 01:15 PM
Principal14

broll's size

he will need that extra bulk to be effective at the pro level so he might as well get used to playing at that weight this year, not to mention it will be tough for him to keep the weight on as the year progresses, looking forward to a good year from him and a couple others to surprise with some offensive upside

Old
08-23-2012, 10:30 AM
PacoSanchez15

He may have slimmed down a bit since that was his weight listing from last year. Suprisingly his skating isn't that bad once he gets his feet moving, it's the starting and stopping that kills him.

He had a good start and finish to the year last year, hopefully he can put a full season together. He should see a lot of ice time with Cousins so it should help his numbers.

Old
08-23-2012, 01:39 PM
Lyons89

Could Cousins maybe wear the C this year ?

Old
08-23-2012, 03:42 PM
JSavoire

Quote:
He may have slimmed down a bit since that was his weight listing from last year. Suprisingly his skating isn't that bad once he gets his feet moving, it's the starting and stopping that kills him.

He had a good start and finish to the year last year, hopefully he can put a full season together. He should see a lot of ice time with Cousins so it should help his numbers.
He's one big boy! And I agree that his game would probably improve if he were a little lighter.

Old
08-23-2012, 03:49 PM
Torts

Quote:

Forwards:

Defense:

Goalies:

very pointless but dosnt sproul wear 5?

Old
08-23-2012, 09:51 PM
PacoSanchez15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyons89 View Post
I doubt it, I think it will be Sproul. Cousins will most likely have an A though.

Old
08-23-2012, 09:52 PM
PacoSanchez15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post
very pointless but dosnt sproul wear 5?
He did but the Hounds retired Adam Foote's #5 near the end of last season so he will be switching to 55 this year.

Old
08-26-2012, 07:56 AM
Loosie

Looks like Cousins, Fritsch and Petaccio could be in some serious trouble.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrh...041456773.html

Not too many details here but I'm sure we'll here more out of the Sault media in the coming days.

Old
08-26-2012, 11:22 AM
jughead42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyons89 View Post
Wow, if that guy is made captain the sault has serious problems. It's sort of like asking Yogi Bear to watch your picnic basket while you take a squirt, there has to be better options. Wasn't it his shenanigans against Rupert last year that pretty much put the team into a death spiral? I'd want to keep him as far away from a leadership position as possible, unless i needed somebody to lead a gang bang. He might be good at that, allegedly.

Last edited by jughead42: 08-26-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old
08-26-2012, 01:07 PM
IcemanTBI

Cousins, Fritsch and Petaccio, all charged with sexual assault:

http://www.sootoday.com/content/news...ls.asp?c=46289

WOW! If this is true, Hounds are in SERIOUS trouble! As for the allegations, if this is true, then they should be punished. No word on what the league is going to do about this, but Iwould assume neither player will be playing for quite some time. Three vets out of the lineup, with training camp just starting up... most likely means season is over before it even begins.

Reminds me alot like Jarret Reid. Their careers could be in jeopardy and if true, likely over. I am at loss for words over this.

What is wrong with this town? Last year, problems with the T-birds and now this. Any chance of getting Tolchinsky here is now most likely done.

Out of all of this, I feel bad for Dubas. Really in a tight spot. Whats he going to do if all three of them will be forced to sit for any length of time, possibly even an entire season? Buckle up Hounds fans, this season is yet again going to be a bumpy ride.

Old
08-26-2012, 01:14 PM
hockeylegend11

Dont like to hear this with anybody or team could be disasterous in many ways
Wonder if the league will suspend the 3 afterall they are famous for presuming guilt as opposed to innocence,reference Spitfires and their troubles

Old
08-26-2012, 01:14 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
What is wrong with this town? Last year, problems with the T-birds and now this. Any chance of getting Tolchinsky here is now most likely done.
Not sure how one has to do with the other? The only thing keeping Tolchinsky in a Greyhound uniform is a visa, that is all.

Old
08-26-2012, 01:18 PM
IcemanTBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Not sure how one has to do with the other? The only thing keeping Tolchinsky in a Greyhound uniform is a visa, that is all.
If your Tolchinsky's agent, would you want him to play for a team with this kind of stain on it? Also, you have to think about Tolchinsky's parents as well... I know I wouldn't want to have my son play for a team where this kind of stuff goes on.

Old
08-26-2012, 01:33 PM
Loosie

Quote:
If your Tolchinsky's agent, would you want him to play for a team with this kind of stain on it? Also, you have to think about Tolchinsky's parents as well... I know I wouldn't want to have my son play for a team where this kind of stuff goes on.
I'm sorry the 'stain' is not on the team. The 'stain' is on the players, if they are guilty.

Old
08-26-2012, 01:35 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Just like when Bob Jones was charged with assault, the Soo Greyhounds prospects/players will come to play for the Greyhonuds, just like the Spitfires prospects still came to Windsor. Players and agents they know the actions of 3 players does not indicate the team's philosophy. Especially when those players are innocent until proven guilty.

Tolchinsky will be a Greyhound, assuming the visa issues are ironed out. I can promise you that.

Old
08-26-2012, 01:36 PM
Loosie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Dont like to hear this with anybody or team could be disasterous in many ways
Wonder if the league will suspend the 3 afterall they are famous for presuming guilt as opposed to innocence,reference Spitfires and their troubles
If they are found guilty the league won't have to suspend them, they should be in jail.

Closed Thread