Question for Stars fans; Re: 1999

Old
04-25-2006, 06:52 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Question for Stars fans; Re: 1999

Was Joe Nieuwendyk the real captain of your team when they won the Stanley Cup? I had always been convinced of that based on his Conn Smythe winning year.

I don't know what people here think about Derian Hatcher after a few years, but as the Flyers captain, he is absolutely terrible both on the ice and as the captain. And I'm not just talking about his play on the ice, I'm talking about his play, as a captain. Please don't take this the wrong way, but how did the Stars ever win with Hatcher as the captain? And with Hitchcock as the head coach, the past few games it's almost as if some of the players tuned him out (based on our play in the playoffs).

Again I seek to learn. Just someone trying to figure out what's wrong with his own team. Good luck in the playoffs.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 10:15 AM
Starsdude

vCash: 500
Kim-Hatch was really good. His calf injury about 2 seasons later really limited him his last year here he was always behind the play and lacked the confidence he had before. I have not seem him much lately but I believe he is not nearly the player he was and that reflects on him on and off the ice. Another thing about 1999 was this was ateam that motivated itself. Hell we had Verbeek as a4th liner. Guys like Scrudland Keane Hogue Ried were the role players and Hitch and the players (except Hull) were okay winning 2-1. BTW Belfour was phenomenal

Kim a question-why would my thread Stars firesale be closed by you. We had an interesting discussion on Morrison for Jokinin starting. That thread is not dissimilar to many others.

Starsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 11:45 AM
Dr GLU

I'd say the real leader on that team was Guy Carbonneau.

Dr GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 11:59 AM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
Was Joe Nieuwendyk the real captain of your team when they won the Stanley Cup? I had always been convinced of that based on his Conn Smythe winning year.

I don't know what people here think about Derian Hatcher after a few years, but as the Flyers captain, he is absolutely terrible both on the ice and as the captain. And I'm not just talking about his play on the ice, I'm talking about his play, as a captain. Please don't take this the wrong way, but how did the Stars ever win with Hatcher as the captain? And with Hitchcock as the head coach, the past few games it's almost as if some of the players tuned him out (based on our play in the playoffs).

Again I seek to learn. Just someone trying to figure out what's wrong with his own team. Good luck in the playoffs.
Hatcher was a good leader and a best of a defensemen. I thing is tho if your team needs one single leader to be huge for you, then the team itself probalby isnt that great. The 99 stars were full of self motivated veteran players who knew their role and executed perfectly. They were machinelike in their play.

Edit: Oh yeah, about Hicks. The team tuned him out i think too. I think Belfour quit on the team and they stopped listening to hitch at the same time

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 10:38 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLU
I'd say the real leader on that team was Guy Carbonneau.
When you talk leadership wise, no doubt.

That 99 team, overcame anything that was put infront of them mainly cause of the vets that played unbelieveable for us. Joe was our MVP that season. I still think many Star fans feel if it hadnt been for Marchment in 98, and Joe had been there, that we would have 2 banners with Cup Champs on it.

Joe was a great leader for us, right on up there with Guy. Wish we had them both on our team right now the way this series is going. Those two would be the ones to get up and calm the team down and win this series for us.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 10:41 PM
_Ice

I thought it was Modano.

_Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 10:55 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Ice..before Modano became captain (officially) in '04...he had always wanted to be an assistant captain which is what he always..always..always was officially of course.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 03:10 AM
Sadekuuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37
That 99 team, overcame anything that was put infront of them mainly cause of the vets that played unbelieveable for us. Joe was our MVP that season. I still think many Star fans feel if it hadnt been for Marchment in 98, and Joe had been there, that we would have 2 banners with Cup Champs on it.
There's no way the '98 Red Wings were going to lose to anyone, Osgood beachballs notwithstanding.

Sadekuuro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2006, 01:30 AM
beeker16

That team just had great leadership all around -

Carbonneau
Keane
Ludwig
Skrudland

Nieuwendyk was clutch throughout that run, but Hatcher wasn't a bad captain.

beeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote