HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Fantasy Hockey Talk

Old
08-20-2012, 10:18 PM
BernieParent

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post

in b4 richard bachman goes psycho
Psycho is Hitchcock, and I don't mean Ken.

Bachman has the skill to vie for a place on the Stars. If he is in the running, man, he could make some noise. He's the shining example of what a young goaltender can do if he has a chance. I hear, too, that Curtis Joseph was really instrumental in helping Bachman along. Cujo really left his mark on Bachman's style, especially playing angles from the slot to the dead zone.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are calls to fire starter Kari Lehtonen if Bachman plays with desperation and can just make the stand that he needs to make. He just has "it". It would be misery to make a decision between the two from the dark tower of the Stars' administration, but certain needful things mean that someone has to be the body that gets traded or sent down. It would certainly give me insomnia if I were the Stars' GM. And if it's Lehtonen who has to make the long walk down the 'green mile' of Dallas' organization, that will just reflect the effect of different seasons of players' careers.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 10:56 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Apparently Paul Ranger has finally come back to hockey and just signed with the Marlies.

Would've loved to extend him a tryout with Philadelphia.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 11:55 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Apparently Paul Ranger has finally come back to hockey and just signed with the Marlies.

Would've loved to extend him a tryout with Philadelphia.
I thought the reason no one else signed him to a PTO was because he was still property of the lightning?

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 12:04 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
I thought the reason no one else signed him to a PTO was because he was still property of the lightning?
When has that ever stopped Homer from signing someone?

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 12:43 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I think the Phantoms are at their vet limit max. I could be wrong tho.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 02:43 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Neuvirth has some interesting things to say.

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks...e-hunter-left/

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks...mpetition-yet/

Apparently he considers Holtby to be his weakest competition, convinced Vokoun to sign in Pittsburgh, and has some thoughts regarding Semin, OV, and Hunter to boot. I mean...WOW. I'm a casual Caps fan so I'm more amused/fascinated than anything. Imagine if Bob had started saying this sort of thing publicly?

Edit: Yet another former teammate calls out Semin.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 08-21-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 02:48 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post

Apparently he considers Holtby to be his weakest competition, convinced Vokoun to sign in Pittsburgh, and has some thoughts regarding Semin, OV, and Hunter to boot. I mean...WOW. I'm a casual Caps fan so I'm more amused/fascinated than anything. Imagine if Bob had started saying this sort of thing publicly?
Homer should offer sheet John Carlson 10 yrs and front load the **** out of it hes the best RFA dman out there now and he is still young alot of upside..

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 03:44 PM
MsWoof

Quote:

Edit: Yet another former teammate calls out Semin.
The comment about Holtby can be attributed to being lost in translation so I'll cut him some slack there, but the rest? Wow. I think a lot of players, especially in Europe, let their guard down when they go home and say things they wouldn't say over here.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 03:56 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
The comment about Holtby can be attributed to being lost in translation so I'll cut him some slack there, but the rest? Wow. I think a lot of players, especially in Europe, let their guard down when they go home and say things they wouldn't say over here.
I guess they think the language barrier and distance protect them, but in this day and age...not really.

The Holtby thing is also true, technically. He is the weakest/most unproven competition that Neuvy has had for a while. Still...these are comments best left unsaid.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 04:14 PM
orangecrush8

Quote:
I wish they would do it. Get rid of Phoenix and put a team in Markham or Hamilton and you'll have an instant money maker. Our population can certainly handle 2 NHL teams. I don't think you realize what it's like here compared to the US, even in markets like Philly, Boston, Chicago. It's still a niche sport where up here people will fill the arena every night and there will be a ton of people watching on TV.
My thoughts exactly. Hockey is ridiculous up here. I look at a pretty decent hockey market in the Buffalo region, and during the World Juniors a couple years ago, Canadians flooded to the games absolutely dominating every other countries fanbase including the USA/Canada games.

It's cliche to say, but hockey is a religion up here. You have to experience it really to understand.

There is no doubt in my mind that another team in the area would be extremely successful.

orangecrush8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 04:43 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
I think a 2nd team in Toronto would work because there are so many people in Toronto who hate the Maple Leafs, that they'd gravitate to the new GTA team by default. I don't think they'd leave both Toronto teams in then same conference though.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 04:55 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Ive been wondering if Halifax could support a team?

As for the US, I feel like Seattle, Portland, and possibly Hartford (again) would be better markets than PHX, FLA, etc.

My only issue is moving history. The Isles have 4 Cups, the Bolts have 1. Despite their futility, I'd have a tough time seeing a team with any championship history moved.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 04:58 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
I guess they think the language barrier and distance protect them, but in this day and age...not really.

The Holtby thing is also true, technically. He is the weakest/most unproven competition that Neuvy has had for a while. Still...these are comments best left unsaid.
Oh I agree about the Holtby comment because he's the weakest competition, it's just that it comes across much worse than he likely intended it to.

Old
08-21-2012, 04:59 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush8 View Post
My thoughts exactly. Hockey is ridiculous up here. I look at a pretty decent hockey market in the Buffalo region, and during the World Juniors a couple years ago, Canadians flooded to the games absolutely dominating every other countries fanbase including the USA/Canada games.

It's cliche to say, but hockey is a religion up here. You have to experience it really to understand.

There is no doubt in my mind that another team in the area would be extremely successful.
How funny would it be if they moved the Coyotes up to Markham or Hamilton and they made the playoffs immediately while the Leafs didn't? It's pretty obvious the latest guy in line to buy the Yotes isn't going to do it, pull the plug and move the team somewhere where people care!

Old
08-22-2012, 08:18 AM
Krishna

Oilers fans think Hall and Eberle are currently worth 6.7m each for 10 years

Eberle maybe... Hall, no. Hasn't played more than 65 games in a season yet

Old
08-22-2012, 08:26 AM
thelos
Bunk

yeah I traded away Hall in my keeper league because the way he plays is going to make him a walking bandaid

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 12:22 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
NHL network has the 2006 WCF on. I miss seeing Playoff Pronger.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 12:33 PM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingForsberg View Post
NHL network has the 2006 WCF on. I miss seeing Playoff Pronger.
Pronger was a lock for the Conn Smythe if EDM had won. I honestly think he might have deserved it even in the loss. Led the team in points as a D man, while being his usually boss self physically and defensively

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 12:48 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:

They also disregard the power of Google..particulary google translate! Google is evil ..moohaaa haaaa ha

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 03:51 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Niitty's going back to Finland; signed with Turku.

08-23-2012, 09:26 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Niitty's going back to Finland; signed with Turku.
He had one of his hips replaced.

Old
08-26-2012, 08:33 PM
lancer247

Quote:
How funny would it be if they moved the Coyotes up to Markham or Hamilton and they made the playoffs immediately while the Leafs didn't? It's pretty obvious the latest guy in line to buy the Yotes isn't going to do it, pull the plug and move the team somewhere where people care!
I always read or heard the NHL wouldn't put another team in the TOR area because it may kill BUF. I was told the difficulty of getting tickets to leaf's games lent to them going to BUF.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 03:47 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Penguins news:

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...ts-say-650729/

Quote:
Reports out of Russia say that Penguins center Evgeni Malkin has agreed to a contract to play for Metallurg Magnitogorsk in the Kontinental Hockey League if the start of the 2012-13 NHL season is delayed by a lockout.

J.P. Barry, who is Malkin's agent, confirmed that Malkin has spoken with teams in Moscow and Magnitogorsk about a week-to-week agreement that would allow him to play during a lockout, if there is one, but that nothing has been finalized.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 03:58 PM
Krishna

Can we let Rinaldo sign on a rival team of Metallurg?

Old
08-27-2012, 05:01 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
I always read or heard the NHL wouldn't put another team in the TOR area because it may kill BUF. I was told the difficulty of getting tickets to leaf's games lent to them going to BUF.
Hamilton, maybe, but Markham is north of Toronto so it's further from Buffalo. Besides, I think it's ridiculous if this is the case, they have 3 teams around New York City and 2 of them do poorly, if we had 2 here it would be sellouts every night.