HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's Talk Whistle Swallowing

Old
04-28-2006, 12:52 AM
vopatsrash

vCash: 500
Let's Talk Whistle Swallowing

I'm curious to know everyone's opinion on this.

pre-2006 playoffs, what was the prevailing opinion of most hockey fans about the NHL playoffs? I would guess that most, if not all, hockey fans loved it and thought they were great. A year ago when there were no playoffs because of the lockout, I heard many commentators who aren't even into hockey talk about what a shame it was to have the best playoffs in sports not happen and the toughest trophy to win in all of sports not awarded.

Now, this is a generalization, but is it safe to say most people agree with the above?

Pre-2006, outside of being known as the best postseason tournament for the best trophy, what else were the NHL playoffs known for? Refs swallowing their whistles.

So, pre-2006, NHL playoffs: universally beloved by fans. Refs: they let the kids play.

I am all for making the refs call penalties over the course of an 82 game season in a similar, yet refined, version of this season. But, is it really a bad thing to just let the refs swallow the whistles in the playoffs like the old days? Was it really necessary for Bettman to call them out?

If the refs call it ticky tack, it's a slippery slope of having a precedent set for a bad call that lead to more bad calls. If the refs only call the major things, the games are tougher, they have better flow, players and refs are less tentative, games would not be decided by 5 on 3's, and they would generally be more even in terms of calls.

This is not a "the Preds are getting screwed by the refs" post. The Preds are getting completely manhandled by a healthier and superior Sharks team. More power to the Sharks, they deserve to win.

I am talking about the overall watchability and the competitiveness of the entire NHL playoffs. Am I the only person a little disappointed with the whole thing this year? I'm watching the games and I'm enjoying the late 3rd periods and OT's, but I've seen so many cringe-worthy moments that the old style of whistle swallowing would not have elicited.

If the converse is "well it would allow a team like the sharks to sit back and manhandle us," well, look what's happening anyway. At least we would have been manhandled 5 on 5...

It just seems like the games are being swayed by a bunch of bad calls for tapping a guy. if a guy gets mauled, call it. And I mean both ways. The Michalek penalty was ridiculous. I'm just tired of seeing the referees be so visibly completely psyched out to the point that they are not calling or managing games well.

vopatsrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 01:53 AM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
It is very obvious, the more penalties called, the less flow there is to a game. Power plays are a double edged sword. They create more scoring, inherently. 5 on 4 is going to do that. However, the constant start/stop and free icing of the puck keeps any real "exciting" hockey from being played. Just as teams get some rhythm going, a tacky holding is called and the next 6 or 8 minutes is spent trying to get back into that flow.

Obviously, this isn't always the case...but as we've seen in this series, the best hockey has been 5 on 5. Games being decided on 5 on 3's is just no fun, and doesn't do anyone justice.

SWALLOW THE WHISTLES!!!

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 04:40 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Well during commercials of the Preds game I would switch over to the other games and I swear, every time one team was on a PP. At one point during the Ducks/Flames game, I think they were in the second period, the Ducks got a penalty and the TSN guys go "And there's ANOTHER penalty being called". I really hate that a few of the games of different series have been decided by one team getting a majority of 5 on 3 PP time.

I did like when they just let them play, let a little more tickytack stuff go. But if they are going to call everything, they should make sure the game is called both ways. Not giving special treatment to any one team or player.

But most of all, they either seem to miss all the blatant stuff and call ticky tack calls or call everything that looks like it might be a penalty.

I don't necessarily have a problem with the amount of penalties called during the playoffs (if they're going to call everything then the players have to learn not to do it) as much as I just want consistency from Ref to Ref and game to game.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 10:13 AM
jstreet
Smashville

I wouldnt be so upset If I thought the refs were consistent. Everytime someone mentions that the PIM in our series are about the same for both teams, but Im not looking for consistancy in penalty numbers, Im looking for consistancy in the type of penalties that are being called.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 10:28 AM
Nitrous Mafia

refs need to swallow instead of blow

I don't watch basketball for a reason, but it seems like I'm forced to anyway.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 12:15 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars
Im looking for consistancy in the type of penalties that are being called.
And I'm looking for the span of time between calls. There have been an inordinant amount of 5 on 3s, and they have dramatically changed this series.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 01:40 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Its not the penalties, its the guessing at a penalty that ends up being a 5 on 3. If you do not see it, you CAN NOT CALL A 5 on 3! Just about every 5 on 3 for the Sharks this playoffs has been borderline to non-existent. And each time the Sharks have scored, and twice they have scored on the ensuing powerplay...essentially they scored twice off one mistake...I'm not blaming the 3-1 standing right now on the officials, but they have played a large role in this series....In fact, I would say this is the most I have ever seen the officials play a role in any series of any playoff format that I have witnessed...Its just unbelievable.

04-29-2006, 04:54 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
I'm all for the whistle swallowing, except, on obvious hooking/tripping penalties that result in a goal for the committers of the non-call...(i.e. Draper's hook on Peca that results in a Shanahan goal).

Old
04-29-2006, 05:03 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basher
I'm all for the whistle swallowing, except, on obvious hooking/tripping penalties that result in a goal for the committers of the non-call...(i.e. Draper's hook on Peca that results in a Shanahan goal).
I must have had my head in the sand for the past few years, but Chelios has been the biggest diver in this year's playoffs. I never thought that was his game. That dive that drew the Smyth penalty was one of those where you get a real sense that refs don't feel accountable for their on-ice calls. Moderate sticks to the chest shouldn't result in a stationary player hitting the ice.

And I say this as someone who is partially cheering for Detroit. And before you jump on me, I have two different reasons. I cannot see this Wings team winning the cup. They just don't appear to have what it takes. As such, they don't bother me.

And the second reason is that I want to support the Central. It's been routinely bashed and many have said that Nashville's lack of success in the playoffs is support for the anti-Central arguments. I'm convinced that the only people who know of the Sullivan, Legwand, Walker, and Zidlicky injuries are the Sharks, their fans, and the Preds, their fans. Apparently, no one else knows anything other than the Vokoun injury.

Old
04-29-2006, 11:56 PM
DManPreds

I've watched every game thus far in the post season and the refs in every game are inconsistant with their calls. The only way I see giving a 5 on 3 PP is that somebody commits a foul that would've resulted in a scoring chance. You see trips and interferrence go on all game long then when a team takes the lead you want to call interferrence or a trip. If you take away the 5 on 3's in this series the Preds might have had this a 2-2 series instead of the Sharks having a 3-1 lead. In game 3 when David Legwand was called for hooking when the Sharks player had his stick pinched between this arms was the most ridiculous call of the series in my opinion. All in all the you have to give it to the Sharks for capitalizing on their attempts and we haven't minus game 1. I hope we can get motivated now that we are in a must win situation, and aleast take this to a game 7 here in Nashville.

DManPreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2006, 02:23 AM
Marlloon*

Good teams find a way to win, despite bad officiating.

Marlloon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2006, 02:39 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlloon
Any other old sports cliches you can trot out for us?

I would argue that generally the good teams do find a way to win. But in a battle of two good teams, it can and often is an important determining factor. I've seen plenty of games in several sports where the better team lost in part because of the officiating. You can claim they should have won regardless, but you cannot discount the effect officiating has on the outcome of a game between fairly evenly matched teams.

Old
04-30-2006, 08:54 AM
RollingPredFan

There was some really interesting quotes in the Tennessean addressing this...

Quote:
Two-man disadvantage: Penalties are coming in bunches for the Predators, who have given up three power-play goals in 5-on-3 situations to the Sharks. "If you look at the numbers they've had more 5-on-3 opportunities than we have, and they've capitalized on their chances," Predators defenseman Brendan Witt said.

Trotz said the Predators have given up more 5-on-3s during the series than they did during the last 40 games of the regular season.
Quote:
"I was reading an article yesterday and, it's funny, when Gary Bettman is in the building penalties go up 56%," Witt said. "That's food for thought. Those guys don't want to lose their jobs, especially when the guy threatens them if you guys put the whistle away you won't be doing any more games. They're in a tough situation."
I dont want to whine and saying the refs are out to get us, but to say the officiating has not effected the outcome of this series is ludricrous.

Just my humble biased opinion LOL

Oh and that Red Wing game is saw some of the worst calls yesterday... Chelios elbows Smyth and he dives and draws a penalty, BRUTAL lol

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2006, 11:49 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlloon
Someone missed the point of this thread...

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2006, 12:06 AM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
I must have had my head in the sand for the past few years, but Chelios has been the biggest diver in this year's playoffs. I never thought that was his game. That dive that drew the Smyth penalty was one of those where you get a real sense that refs don't feel accountable for their on-ice calls. Moderate sticks to the chest shouldn't result in a stationary player hitting the ice.

And I say this as someone who is partially cheering for Detroit. And before you jump on me, I have two different reasons. I cannot see this Wings team winning the cup. They just don't appear to have what it takes. As such, they don't bother me.

And the second reason is that I want to support the Central. It's been routinely bashed and many have said that Nashville's lack of success in the playoffs is support for the anti-Central arguments. I'm convinced that the only people who know of the Sullivan, Legwand, Walker, and Zidlicky injuries are the Sharks, their fans, and the Preds, their fans. Apparently, no one else knows anything other than the Vokoun injury.
Hmm, I posted that a few days ago, but I don't see how that had much to do with my post, hah. I was referring to the fact that the refds "swallowed the whistle" when Draper hooked Peca to the ice, and as a result the Wings pushed the puck up ice and scored, gaining an advantage from an obvious missed call/swallowed whistle.

I thought the Colorado/Dallas game was refereed very well today, a fun game to watch with a lot of action. 15 penalties was plenty, but they were oddly called in bunches and didn't screw with the entire flow of the game.

Old
05-01-2006, 04:21 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by spank303
I don't necessarily have a problem with the amount of penalties called during the playoffs (if they're going to call everything then the players have to learn not to do it) as much as I just want consistency from Ref to Ref and game to game.
I'll say it again. Ref to ref, game to game. Heck I'll settle for period to period.

I certainly didn't see that tonight. What we got penalized for out in San Jose, there were non calls for the exact same thing tonight.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote