HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Paul Kariya Bio

Old
04-26-2006, 07:30 PM
Leaf Lander

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Paul Kariya Bio

Paul Kariya, LW

Quote:
Paul Kariya -Practices the art of vissualization which made me see him as a key creative member of my all time team. When the hockey world visualizes his game they see all the elements that could lead him to the HOF someday. He is a 5 time NHL all star who has soft hands. Is also willing to shoot the puck from anywhere he is silky smooth skater, a great playmaker and has blazing acceleration and superior hockey sense because of tremendous hand/eye coordination, intelligence and awareness on the ice that is second to none and all of that is all delivered with a great shoot!

In the 1993 Entry Draft Kariya was selected 4th overall by Anaheim.

He played for Canada 1994 Olympics Games in Lillehammer, Norway. Kariya was Team Canada's top scorer in the tournament with four assists and three goals, However Peter Forsberg scored a sudden death shootouttgoal and a gold medal win for Sweden.

Kariya next step was 1994-95 with the Mighty Ducks where he scored 39 pts in 47 games.The next fall he became member of Canada's entry in the World Cup scoring 7 pts in 8 games.

The next season, 95-96, he exploded for 108 points in his first full year in the NHL. It was a pace he would continue over the following three seasons, collecting 227 points in 220 games.

In 1996 he formed selane formed twosome a dangerous and fast combination. Selanne had the speed and goal-scoring touch to take advantage of Kariya's innate ability to find the open man.

During 96-97 Kariya was named captain of the Ducks missed the first 11 games of the season due to injury, and his importance to the Mighty Ducks became apparent. The team won only one game during his absence. When he returned, Anaheim began to climb in the standings, earning a playoff spot by the end of the season. Kariya's 99 points in his shortened season and Anaheim's success ensured his name was among the final three considered for the Hart Trophy as the league's Most Valuable Player.

Just before he was to play in the 1998 All-Star Game, Kariya sustained his fourth concussion in a nasty incident involving Chicago's Gary Suter. Kariya never lost consciousness and could remember the details of the game. Only later did he feel the effects of the hit, the headaches and the memory loss. He missed the rest of the season and the Nagano Olympics because of post-concussion syndrome.

He returned to form the next season. Terrorizing defenders and goalies with Selanne, Kariya finished third in overall scoring in 1998-99.

In the summer of 2002, he was one of the original eight players named to Canada's Olympic Team. Kariya played alongside Mario Lemieux at Salt Lake City, and helped power the Canadians to the gold medal with three goals and an assist.

Following a sub-par 2001-02 regular season in Anaheim, Kariya and the Ducks got back on the right track. Kariya finished the regular season with 81 points on the strength of 25 goals and 56 assists while the Ducks qualified for the post season for the first time since 1998-99. They made it all the wasy to the Stanley Cup Final where they lost to New Jersey Devils in a hard-fought seven game series.

After nine seasons in Anaheim, the former Hobey Baker winner was acquired by the Colorado Avalanche in the summer of 2003. Upon his arrival with the Avs, Kariya went on to play a mere 51 games with the club due to injury and subsequently signed as a free agent with the Nashville Predators in the summer of 2005.

The 05-06 regular season went very well for Paul and the Predators. He set a team high for most points in a season. Averaged more than a point a game. Played in every game. Scoring many shootout winning goals. Brought instant credibility the organization. They did however bow out of the playoffs to San Jose in 5 Games.

NHL Totals 739 342 448 790 +41 Playoff Totals 41 16 21 37 -3

How has his 05-06 season been. Stats wise he has been great but if you can take a min and give me a sentence or two on Pauls play this yr I would much appreciate it. Thanks

Last edited by Leaf Lander: 05-02-2006 at 12:18 AM.
Leaf Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2006, 07:42 PM
bakinturkey

he may be fast but not the smoothest of skaters

bakinturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2006, 09:37 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

IMO his play has been very solid this year. His vision is great and most the time he's always in a good spot to get a shot off.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2006, 10:02 PM
vopatsrash

I'd say he would have had 15-20 extra points if he had some consistency from his linemates, but the injury to Legwand cost him several goals from great passes, the lack of finishing of Legwand when he did play cost him about 7-8 assists, the smallishness of Sullivan led to him not being able to play much even strength with the one person his equal on the team, the weirdness of Erat didn't always click, and he played for at least a month centered by Vern Fiddler.

The pros: The dedication is evident, the vision is evident, the skill is evident, he really is a joy to watch. He is a solid citizen, quiet, and a bit odd, but in a good way. it's incredible that he was a point a game player considering the man games lost by the team and the inconsistency of the lines on which he played. He might have made the difference on us getting the 4 seed over the 5 on his shootouts alone.

The cons: It never really felt like he had a dominant streak in which he carried the team. Maybe he did statistically if you look back on the season, but it didn't feel like it. I watched almost every game and I remember several times looking at the stats and being shocked at his strong scoring pace. Maybe that's a tribute to him, actually.

He maybe took a few bad chances with some passes at the blue line that less-skilled teammates did not anticipate, he had a few really bad penalty games, and he had a weird tendency to fumble with or lose the puck with no one on him, especially on the power play. There were games in which he seemed to dominate and games where he blatantly couldn't keep the puck on his stick if his life depended on it.

This might be blasphemous to some, but as important as his signing was and as appreciative I am for his "taking the chance" and coming here, I think it could be argued that the $4.5 would have been better distributed to a center and/or a bigger winger who uses his size well. This is more of a Poile thing than a Kariya thing, because Poile built the team for speed almost to a fault. They needed to sign Kariya for on and off-ice purposes out of the lockout, it has been generally a success, and I don't really know what other options there were at the time, but they might be locked out of addressing some glaring needs until that $4.5 million slot opens up after next season.

vopatsrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2006, 10:09 PM
PeterAngelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vopatsrash
This might be blasphemous to some, but as important as his signing was and as appreciative I am for his "taking the chance" and coming here, I think it could be argued that the $4.5 would have been better distributed to a center and/or a bigger winger who uses his size well. This is more of a Poile thing than a Kariya thing, because Poile built the team for speed almost to a fault. They needed to sign Kariya for on and off-ice purposes out of the lockout, it has been generally a success, and I don't really know what other options there were at the time, but they might be locked out of addressing some glaring needs until that $4.5 million slot opens up after next season.
I think that is a fair point, the one thing i think you can't overlook though is the fact that many other players available in the free agent pool with greater size, a stronger game might not have wanted to come to Nashville. As we all know Kariya wanted to come here, it wasn't like he was traded to the Preds. I thank him for that has made the season much more exciting to me, along with Witt coming at the deadline.

PeterAngelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2006, 12:54 AM
USF Shark
ZŰion politikÚn

One thing I noticed about Kariya is that he is dangerous 100% of the time. He really runs the show in Nashville. Everything revolves around him without Sullivan at 100%. I was at game 3 and everytime Kariya got the puck i held my breath because I know he can put it in the net when he has it.

But the thing that Nashville needs to get away from is relying on him while on the PP. It was interested, everytime they set up the puck in the SJ zone they would look to get Kariya the puck. The dmen would pass back and forth and cycle it down low then get it back and keep trying to see if Kariya was open. If they would take more shots from the point I think Kariya would be able to get more open because SJ knows that Nashville is looking at Kariya while on the PP. And once Kariya gets open......goal.

USF Shark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2006, 05:43 PM
HeShootseyScores

Most points in a season in team history. Averaged more than a point a game. Played in every game. Many shootout winning goals. Brought instant credibility to our organization.

Worth every cent he was paid. Probably more.

HeShootseyScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2006, 06:19 AM
D-Block

One of my all-time favorite players.

One of the best players of all time.

This season was great, he would have had more points if his teamwates were worth passing to more as someone mentioned.

Simple as that.

Kariya+Sullivan+Vokoun+Timmonen+Hall=Entire Nashivelle Team, the rest did nothing.

D-Block is offline   Reply With Quote