HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oscar Klefbom

Old
08-26-2012, 06:14 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I take it you didn't like it when someone said that he leaped ahead of Siemens last year?
The only one ahead of him I would agree with is Oleksiak. And not by that great of a margin.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 06:16 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
The only one ahead of him I would agree with is Oleksiak. And not by that great of a margin.
So was Siemens the best D on the WJC gold winning team? Not saying that Klefbom will be the better player from now on, or whatever, but I'd say that he showed more last year than Siemens.

08-26-2012, 06:23 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
So was Siemens the best D on the WJC gold winning team? Not saying that Klefbom will be the better player from now on, or whatever, but I'd say that he showed more last year than Siemens.
Right, just because Siemens was snubbed from playing on a stacked team that means Klefbom showed more last year.

Old
08-26-2012, 06:28 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Right, just because Siemens was snubbed from playing on a stacked team that means Klefbom showed more last year.
Well he was named ahead of the stacked guys that Siemens couldn't beat out, just sayin'. And that stacked team didn't even win Silver.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 06:39 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Well he was named ahead of the stacked guys that Siemens couldn't beat out, just sayin'. And that stacked team didn't even win Silver.
And Landeskog is better than RNH because he was given the Calder over RNH? One tournament doesn't make Klefbom better nor does it mean Siemens wouldn't have played better if he was placed on the team.

This really is a pointless discussion though, you're not going to convince me otherwise nor are you interested in hearing my point of view. And if you are, I'm sure you can make an appropriate thread for discussion between our fanbases.

Old
08-26-2012, 06:45 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
And Landeskog is better than RNH because he was given the Calder over RNH? One tournament doesn't make Klefbom better nor does it mean Siemens wouldn't have played better if he was placed on the team.

This really is a pointless discussion though, you're not going to convince me otherwise nor are you interested in hearing my point of view. And if you are, I'm sure you can make an appropriate thread for discussion between our fanbases.
Knock yourself out if you want to make a poll on the nhl board. As for Landeskog and RNH, no it'd be more like you saying that Huberdeau > Landeskog while Huberdeau wasn't in the NHL last year, RNH was in the NHL and if not for injuries would've won the Calder in a cake walk.

Old
08-26-2012, 08:39 PM
Flyerfan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
He should have similar value to what Runblad (17th pick 2009) got in a trade (16th pick 2010). Klefbom was drafted 19th (2011) and has shown solid development. 17-18th overall (2013) would be where I would put his value.
So he should only be traded to a team that finished 17-18?

Flyerfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 08:58 PM
Flyerfan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
Why July 1?
OS eligible.

Flyerfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 09:33 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan52 View Post
OS eligible.
You do realize that he signed his 3 year ELC right? Back to the drawing board for you.

Old
08-26-2012, 09:38 PM
rockinghockey

A prospect like Klefbom only gets dealt in a deal that is for a star player in a package deal that is. He will spend one more year over seas and then come and play with the Oilers and they will break him in slowly as they will have Smid, Petry, Schultz, and Schultz to play the hard minutes. His size is a huge asset also.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 10:16 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Rash View Post
the site could possible be dated before the draft and i Brain Farted when did Hemsky sign and I dont think they had taken Yakopov yet also a natural LW

Eberle
Hemsky
Petrell/Jones
?
Dorsett on the 4th or 3rd
Yakupov is not a natural LW. He is a RW who shoots left. This is actually very common in the Russian game, and in Yakupov's case it allows him to be in position for his lethal one-timer. He may play some on the left side bt if I had to bet I'd say it is more likely that Hemsky flips.

Paajarvi ia another guy who shoots left but is probably better on the right side. He drives the net better and tends to be much more involved. (Think Erik Cole.) The Oilers also have Tyler Pitlick who is one of their best forward prospects and could be a year away from making the jump. He is a very good skater, hits like a truck, and has an NHL shot. Add in Tobias Reider and it would seem that trading a defensive prospect as good as Klefbom for a 3rd/4th line RW might not make a lot of sense, especially if you factor in Columbus' needs as well.

Last edited by Fourier: 08-26-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 10:44 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
IIRC, there was an article from NHL.com that gave a scouting report on Dalton Thrower where the scout said he had outplayed Siemens in many of the games that scout had watched. Siemens has a lot of tools, but he really didn't have a very good season last year and i think it's more than fair to claim Klefbom has lept past him.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 10:56 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
Yakupov is not a natural LW. He is a RW who shoots left. This is actually very common in the Russian game, and in Yakupov's case it allows him to be in position for his lethal one-timer. He may play some on the left side bt if I had to bet I'd say it is more likely that Hemsky flips.

Paajarvi ia another guy who shoots left but is probably better on the right side. He drives the net better and tends to be much more involved. (Think Erik Cole.) The Oilers also have Tyler Pitlick who is one of their best forward prospects and could be a year away from making the jump. He is a very good skater, hits like a truck, and has an NHL shot. Add in Tobias Reider and it would seem that trading a defensive prospect as good as Klefbom for a 3rd/4th line RW might not make a lot of sense, especially if you factor in Columbus' needs as well.
What I understand Ralph Krueger disagrees with you, he has plans to play Yakupov on the LW and at times he'll play the RW in the offensive zone. One of these days the Oilers will realize they have a problem with size and grit in their top 6. To compete with the likes of LA Kings they'll have to decide which one of their highly skilled top 6 forwards they'll have to trade.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 11:19 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan52 View Post
So he should only be traded to a team that finished 17-18?
No. It's just his value to me. If a team picking higher wanted to trade their pick, then that could also be considered. The OP wanted to know his value, so I picked out a comparable situation and added an opinion.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 11:57 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
What I understand Ralph Krueger disagrees with you, he has plans to play Yakupov on the LW and at times he'll play the RW in the offensive zone. One of these days the Oilers will realize they have a problem with size and grit in their top 6. To compete with the likes of LA Kings they'll have to decide which one of their highly skilled top 6 forwards they'll have to trade.
Yakupov will be playing on the LW because of how deep the Oil are on the RW in an effort to keep him in the top 6, not because Yakupov is a natural LW. It will also be an experiment to start the season with Hemsky likely the one moving to the LW should he find himself on his line.

And, believe it or not, grit and size are exactly what the Oilers have. It's a common misconception about the Oilers.

If you're implying we need to get rid of one of our Big 4 to obtain some grinders I'd say you're creeping up on Milbury territory with that one.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 12:35 AM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
He's basically on par with 10th overall Brodin who has also seen his stock rise.
I'd say hes still below Brodin. Only slightly, though.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 01:24 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
I'd say hes still below Brodin. Only slightly, though.
Even if that's the case, he's closed the gap by quite a bit since being drafted and Brodin hasn't regressed since being drafted. Klefbom's stock has definitely risen since the draft.

Old
08-27-2012, 01:31 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Even if that's the case, he's closed the gap by quite a bit since being drafted and Brodin hasn't regressed since being drafted. Klefbom's stock has definitely risen since the draft.
Right now the thing Klefblom has on Brodin is his size. Klefblom couldn't even stay the entire year in the SEL and was demoted for some time early in the year. This will be a big year for him.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 02:01 AM
YogiCanucks

The reasonable Oiler fans have a point. He's done nothing but progress as you would hope a guy in his draft position would. It's hard to sit here he'd be worth anything less than a pick at that position especially given that in trading for him rather than taking your chances with a pick you know what you're getting.

Kind of reminds me of the Cory Schneider threads a couple years back. After 5 years of development that him win every where he went people were trying to claim he was worth less than his late first round pick selection 5 years prior..

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 03:00 AM
Shaman464
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
The reasonable Oiler fans have a point. He's done nothing but progress as you would hope a guy in his draft position would. It's hard to sit here he'd be worth anything less than a pick at that position especially given that in trading for him rather than taking your chances with a pick you know what you're getting.

Kind of reminds me of the Cory Schneider threads a couple years back. After 5 years of development that him win every where he went people were trying to claim he was worth less than his late first round pick selection 5 years prior..
If he were in the AHL and it was looking like he was adjusting well to the NA game you'd have an apt comparison, but hes still in SEL and there is always the risk that they don't make the transition. As I stated earlier I think hes worth a proven prospect+2nd rounder, he's not worth a roster player, and hes not worth a top pick (NHL ready player).

Shaman464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 03:24 AM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman464 View Post
If he were in the AHL and it was looking like he was adjusting well to the NA game you'd have an apt comparison, but hes still in SEL and there is always the risk that they don't make the transition. As I stated earlier I think hes worth a proven prospect+2nd rounder, he's not worth a roster player, and hes not worth a top pick (NHL ready player).
If transitioning from the SEL to the AHL/NHL was a major concern for him he wouldn't have been drafted as high as he was.

And let's not forget that he dominated his peers at the WJC which was played on North American ice.

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 03:37 AM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Rash View Post
I never said he was an enforcer but playing on Columbus he made more happen every shift more than anyone on the roster he may have not generate much offence doing this but this is on a team going nowhere, he brought it every shift he fought all the BIG guys even though it was Columbus and would have little effect on the outcome he defended himself and his team on a team like the Oilers that type of energy and leadership is needed and would be needed as well as instantly being a fan favorite and selling jerseys etc...he would grow with the core and have a spot in the bottom 6 that would not need to be looked at improving in the next decade. Its not a whos better proposal but addressing a need that few players in the league can bring for his age and price and abilty he is a championship piece a player built for playoff hockey.

so what would be needed to add from the Jackets '"be realistic"

or what pieces could EDM offer-- Dorsett is not a goon or a throw in he is a rare commodity who is young cheap and does the things few will every shift every game.

Columbus is rebuilding so Tubert and a fifth just doesent cut it

maybe klefbom-khabby for dorsett-mason Jackets get a mentor for bob and the oilers get the grit toughness and a platoon goalie to challenge dubnyk Klefbom is an expensive move but it improves the Oilers dramatically Now and going forward .
Let me be clearer Derek Dorsett will never ever be the main piece in a deal for a blue chip prospect or top 6/top 4 player. Derek Dorsett is the type of player who is traded for fellow depth players and for picks. If Columbus had to move him the best you would get is a 3rd rounder. The role he fills just isn't as valuable as you think...

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 03:49 AM
Shaman464
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
If transitioning from the SEL to the AHL/NHL was a major concern for him he wouldn't have been drafted as high as he was.

And let's not forget that he dominated his peers at the WJC which was played on North American ice.
Anyone taken after #15 is some what of a gamble, even below top 5 has some risk attached. Klefbom hasn't done anything to show he would be worth a roster player at this point, if he were tearing it up in the AHL and would be NHL ready within a season, I could see the argument for a top 10 pick/roster player, but as it stands right now, a prospect (7.5 HF ranking) playing in the AHL plus a 2nd rounder seems like a fair swap for him. Edmonton gets a player that is more NHL ready, the other team gets a bit longer term prospect that with a higher ceiling but more risk attached.
TLDR: Due some of the risk attached to any player coming from Europe, a fair trade for Klefbom would be a safer prospect with a better chance of playing in the NHL in the next year, plus a late first round/2nd round pick.

Shaman464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 06:17 AM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Seimens wasn't even his team's best defenceman last year. Thrower won the Northridge Developments Top Defenceman award last season.

http://www.saskatoonblades.com/artic...-award-winners

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 07:41 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
He is not a natural LW. That does not mean he cannot play the left side. As Smackdaddy said Kreuger suggested they would try him on the left side and see how it goes. But it would be a mistake to try and force a round peg in a square hole so if he struggles then he should go back to his natural position. The kid is too important to the team long term to mess around with if it is not working.

If I had to guess I'd say that Hemsky makes the transition easier. He tends to end up on the left side even at ES.

If you look at Hall, Yakupov, Eberle and RNH none of these guys lack grit. They will all do what it takes to make things happen and none of them are perimeter players. Add a 2nd line center with size and a biggger winger who plays strong and you have no reason to move these guys.

They have guys like Pitlick and Hamilton already in their system. One of the advantages of having so much talent is that you don't need true first/second liners to fill out their lines. Also take a look at the Oilers draft this year. They got the message.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote