*OFFICIAL* Mississauga Steelheads 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
08-06-2012, 06:49 PM
mapleleaf979

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post
even the majors were slow and delayed at signing their prospects. never understood why.

Bourne, MacIntyre and Bell should all sign. Dunno about Walsh, he was quite the wildcard pick. Could have selected him much later I hear.

We do need a 3rd overager. Were that player comes from im not sure. Im not aware who has an excess. We might not know until training camps happen and player get cut from other teams.

As for the other import spot id really like to see them make a move for Prokorkhin for London for DeMelo. Maybe even work the trade so Athanasiou comes over. In my opinion defense will be ok with 3 NHL drafted players. Another goalie that can play 30-35 games will come in handy too as i dont think Martin is ready to handle everything.

Can't wait!!!
U are bang on. I was very shocked with this pic. It stands out as the most shocking pick for me in this draft. I saw Walsh alot and was blown away with that selection. For his size he is pretty tough at times. He was 5th-6th man last year on his team. Doesnt appear to have anything that jumps out at u other than smaller guy who will bang in the corners. He is just alot smaller than his listed draft size. I think he will struggle greatly from now on to improve his game and fit in. I hope the best for him but not sure if he plays more than 10 OHL games. Damien Bourne probably could have been taken in the second round. To me he is also a wildcard/over-rated. A guy who last year Dominated at times literally with his size. He has no explosion in his first three steps and overall appears to skate a tad clumsy. To me one of his best qualities is his excellent vision. He needs to be a tad more consistent. He had some incredible streches of hockey with his mix of skill and power. Saying that at times he showed complete lack of interest. Shall be interesting.

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 08-06-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old
08-06-2012, 07:16 PM
NHL Fanatic

Bourne suits their system so the pick makes sense. The team isn't run and gun, they are more defensive so I don't see any problem with him transitioning to the league. Yes I agree his skating will need improvement but he helps this team in so many especially with size & physicality he should thrive under Boydy.

Last edited by NHL Fanatic: 08-07-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old
08-07-2012, 09:11 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
Bourne suits their system so the pick makes sense. The team isn't run and gun, they are more defensive so I don't see any problem with him transitioning to the league. Yes I agree his skating will need improvement but he helps this team in so many especially with size, physicality and should thrive under Boydy.
Based on my viewings over the years one thing Bourne is not given his size, is terribly physical.

Old
08-07-2012, 10:03 AM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
Based on my viewings over the years one thing Bourne is not given his size, is terribly physical.
I agree with you, he was inconsistent in that department. But I expect him to bring physicality when he comes into the league.

Old
08-07-2012, 10:42 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
I agree with you, he was inconsistent in that department. But I expect him to bring physicality when he comes into the league.
Generally people are creatures of habit. Good luck to him, but instilling a mean streak and consistent physicality is going to be a significant challenge for Boyd.

Guess that is how good coaches are made!

Old
08-07-2012, 03:35 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
Generally people are creatures of habit. Good luck to him, but instilling a mean streak and consistent physicality is going to be a significant challenge for Boyd.

Guess that is how good coaches are made!
I look at Bourne the same way I looked at Nurse in MM, Nurse wasn't very physical in minor midget but now watching him his game has completely revamped. At the U18 camp he was one of the best defensemen because not only was he very aggressive, he took the body also and was very physical. He was a lot stronger and also displayed really good mobility at his size. I think Bourne can make the same adjustment on the other side of the ice although it will take him time to adjust to the league.

Old
08-08-2012, 10:12 AM
wikiwikiwiki

Predictions for line ups next season? Its going to be a tough year i think...

Old
08-08-2012, 02:53 PM
Torts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikiwiki View Post
Predictions for line ups next season? Its going to be a tough year i think...
if the goaltending is ok i think it will turn out to be about the same year as last year. IMO the year we are looking at to be competitive again is next year after 95's are drafted.

its tough to do a prediction now but ill take my shot at what I "want/hopefully think" will happen

??? - Kontos - Brace
Burnside -??? - Teskey
Bourne - Rasmussen - Goldberg
MacIntyre - Foy - Kopstals
Cobbold - Backus - Syrette

HM: Filson, Hunt, Boyd

Percy - Carrick
DeMelo - Graves
Cord - Diodati
Duhaime - Walsh

HM: Zottl, Bell, Walsh, DiTomaso

Martin
???

HM: Edwards, Carty

It looks rough now but Boyd has always built teams that score from committee. The serious need is there for another skilled winger and center, and another goalie. I still believe a trade in London could go down when Maatta comes back from Pens camp that involves Prokorkin/Athanasiou/Teischmann/Tierny for DeMelo and draft picks.

We still need another import and overager. Maybe Boyd finds an overage center that gets cut from another team or trades for one.

My precition is we will be in the same boat as last year, fighting for a playoff spot unless some guys step up and over achieve and somehow Martin stands on his head. Altshuller and Subban were #1 goalies in the O in their draft year, why can't Martin be?

Old
08-08-2012, 03:08 PM
NHL Fanatic

Cobbold-Kontos-Brace
Burnside-Foy-Babinstev
Teskey- Rasmussen- Goldberg
Bourne- Harvey- Syrette
Macintyre

HM- Hunt, Filson, Backus, Berton

Percy-Carrick
Demelo-Diodati
Cord- Graves
Duhaime

HM- Welsh, Bell, Walsh

Vasilevski (pending contract issues, very unlikely)
Martin
Edwards ( they are still looking for a backup)

Last edited by NHL Fanatic: 08-08-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old
08-08-2012, 03:23 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
U are bang on. I was very shocked with this pic. It stands out as the most shocking pick for me in this draft. I saw Walsh alot and was blown away with that selection. For his size he is pretty tough at times. He was 5th-6th man last year on his team. Doesnt appear to have anything that jumps out at u other than smaller guy who will bang in the corners. He is just alot smaller than his listed draft size. I think he will struggle greatly from now on to improve his game and fit in. I hope the best for him but not sure if he plays more than 10 OHL games. Damien Bourne probably could have been taken in the second round. To me he is also a wildcard/over-rated. A guy who last year Dominated at times literally with his size. He has no explosion in his first three steps and overall appears to skate a tad clumsy. To me one of his best qualities is his excellent vision. He needs to be a tad more consistent. He had some incredible streches of hockey with his mix of skill and power. Saying that at times he showed complete lack of interest. Shall be interesting.
I thought Walsh was the #3 d-man on the Marlies last year. He is a very good skater and a good all round player but not a 2nd round pick, more like a 4th rounder as I don't think he can play in the O as a 16 yr old. He is just not big enough. I'm also not a Bourne fan as I also think he was one of the most over rated players in the GTHL. However, he would have been scooped up by another team in the 1st round as you can't teach 6:4.

Old
08-08-2012, 04:26 PM
Torts

Quote:
Cobbold-Kontos-Brace
Burnside-Foy-Babinstev
Teskey- Rasmussen- Goldberg
Bourne- Harvey- Syrette
Macintyre

HM- Hunt, Filson, Backus, Berton

Percy-Carrick
Demelo-Diodati
Cord- Graves
Duhaime

HM- Welsh, Bell, Walsh

Martin
Edwards ( they are still looking for a backup)
totally forgot about babinstev, thanks fanatic

Old
08-14-2012, 07:42 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
I thought Walsh was the #3 d-man on the Marlies last year. He is a very good skater and a good all round player but not a 2nd round pick, more like a 4th rounder as I don't think he can play in the O as a 16 yr old. He is just not big enough. I'm also not a Bourne fan as I also think he was one of the most over rated players in the GTHL. However, he would have been scooped up by another team in the 1st round as you can't teach 6:4.
Mckeown-Allen (1)
Znacko- Desousa (2)
Walsh-Raddyish (3)

* Toward the end of the season Walsh was paired with Znacko at times in the second pairing. Desousa was benched at times or injured so Walsh was moved up the depth chart, otherwise Desousa's spot. Desousa was there second best defenseman with the second highest potential ceiling. Allen was just a good fit with Mckeown but I see Allen struggling alot with his feet in the OHL.

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 08-14-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old
08-15-2012, 02:16 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl3pr...ature=youtu.be

Bobby Mac putting in the work! Cool vid

Old
08-17-2012, 10:09 AM
mcreferee

I know there are so many rumours out there re: the Spitfires fine, etc, but there are some speculating an Eastern team may be under investigation. With all of the dealings between the Majors and Spits in the Memorial Cup year, any chances it could be the Majors / Steelheads? Not suggesting...just curious what others might think?

Old
08-17-2012, 04:39 PM
Torts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcreferee View Post
I know there are so many rumours out there re: the Spitfires fine, etc, but there are some speculating an Eastern team may be under investigation. With all of the dealings between the Majors and Spits in the Memorial Cup year, any chances it could be the Majors / Steelheads? Not suggesting...just curious what others might think?
dunno what it could be for. those trades were done fairly in my opinion with Rychel going back at the deadline.

eastern conference teams that are usually able to lure the big guy with money and other benefits seem to be Ottawa and Niagara.

Missy isnt one of the big money making teams, cant see em getting pegged with tampering.

Old
08-22-2012, 04:50 PM
Elever
Hth

They got rid of the Mississauga Maniac? You Maniacs! You blew it up! Ah, damn you! Damn you all to hell! I can't believe it, that was an amazing mascot. And this is what they replaced the Maniac with.

dirty apes

Old
08-22-2012, 08:37 PM
Torts

to be brutally honest I never really enjoyed the maniac, the guy was good but never really likes the costume. this I can deal with

Old
08-22-2012, 09:00 PM
Tigers1992

To be honest id be surprised if Walsh plays in Mississauga this year. He already has been playing with the Buzzars in St. Mikes and is wearing the gear, even assigned number 7. A true sign that a player is playing in the OJHL for a year.

Could be wrong, but it looks like thats his plan.

Old
08-23-2012, 10:18 AM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
To be honest id be surprised if Walsh plays in Mississauga this year. He already has been playing with the Buzzars in St. Mikes and is wearing the gear, even assigned number 7. A true sign that a player is playing in the OJHL for a year.

I don't believe it was ever in the plans to have him suit up this year. I heard he was going to play with Buzzers a couple months after the draft. It's really up to him but it will be difficult especially if there's a lockout.

Old
08-23-2012, 10:32 AM
Racer14
Always Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post

you are right, he is in the OJHL this year with st mikes...Whitby thought they had a shot at him and he went to St Mikes last minute.

Old
08-23-2012, 08:51 PM
Torts

Majors acquire Teichmann from the Knights for a conditional 6th round pick. Always thought something like this would happen.

http://www.mississaugasteelheads.com...yson-teichmann

Old
08-24-2012, 04:07 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
I don't believe it was ever in the plans to have him suit up this year. I heard he was going to play with Buzzers a couple months after the draft. It's really up to him but it will be difficult especially if there's a lockout.
It couldnt be in there plans for this year. Walsh is not even close to being OHL ready. Im not sure he plays in more than 10 ohl games in his career. Nothing against him its just how I see his talent. So many options when that pick came up I almost fell off my chair when that pick came through. I think u could have got him in the 7th round.

Old
08-24-2012, 07:41 PM
Torts

Alex Cord will not be back with the Steelheads. I highly doubt we even attempt to fill our overage spots unless someone good gets cut from a better team. We want our younger players to get the bulk of the icetime and become improved for 2013-2014

Old
08-24-2012, 08:00 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post
Alex Cord will not be back with the Steelheads. I highly doubt we even attempt to fill our overage spots unless someone good gets cut from a better team. We want our younger players to get the bulk of the icetime and become improved for 2013-2014
Not in the O at all?

Old
08-27-2012, 06:00 AM
Torts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
Not in the O at all?
Not on their prelimenary roster to start camp. Most likely an OHL free agent i guess. Will prolly take advantage of his education package and play at school.

Closed Thread