Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Eastern Europe
Eastern Europe Ukraine, Belarus, Latvia, Lithuania, Kazakhstan

Ukraine - New Pro League to start this year

Old
06-17-2012, 10:35 AM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

vCash: 500
why would it be? they've stated pretty clearly they are gearing up for the next PHL season

Sokil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 02:56 PM
finchster

Send a message via ICQ to finchster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
why would it be? they've stated pretty clearly they are gearing up for the next PHL season
I don't see the point in assembling such a roster for the PHL unless they plan to play at a higher level now or next season.

finchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 03:38 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchster View Post
I don't see the point in assembling such a roster for the PHL unless they plan to play at a higher level now or next season.
I guess. This does seem a bit premature given that they said they want to build a new arena and join the KHL. They're building the team before the arena...

Anything that makes the PHL a legit league is good though.

Old
06-17-2012, 03:50 PM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
I guess. This does seem a bit premature given that they said they want to build a new arena and join the KHL. They're building the team before the arena...

Anything that makes the PHL a legit league is good though.
Well, Yoda once said, that one team does not a league make. Currently they are shaping up a team to steamroll the league. Unless Sokil finds a pot of gold, the outcome of league has been decided. I fear that Sokil might go bust altogether, not a whisper from their camp since the season ended...

ozo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 04:12 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchster View Post
My guess is they don't care about the Sokil name, Berkut seems to be building it's own 'brand'.

When is the deadline to apply to the VHL? I think it must be Berkut's goal for this season?
This is what I'm thinking. Why get the best defenseman from the Slovak league and so many former KHL players like Klimentyev and Mikhnov if they aren't looking to play at a higher level? Why would players who could easily play at the VHL level want to play in the Ukrainian league? My guess is they're going to apply for VHL membership for this season and KHL the next if they get into the VHL.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 09:49 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
Well, Yoda once said, that one team does not a league make. Currently they are shaping up a team to steamroll the league. Unless Sokil finds a pot of gold, the outcome of league has been decided. I fear that Sokil might go bust altogether, not a whisper from their camp since the season ended...
they did the same thing last summer. guess they stop paying the webmaster after the season is over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
This is what I'm thinking. Why get the best defenseman from the Slovak league and so many former KHL players like Klimentyev and Mikhnov if they aren't looking to play at a higher level? Why would players who could easily play at the VHL level want to play in the Ukrainian league? My guess is they're going to apply for VHL membership for this season and KHL the next if they get into the VHL.
Klymentiev and Mikhnov were both in the PHL last year

Last edited by Sokil: 06-17-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old
06-18-2012, 05:49 AM
smitty10

Quote:
they did the same thing last summer. guess they stop paying the webmaster after the season is over.

Klymentiev and Mikhnov were both in the PHL last year
Both are FORMER KHL players though. Not last season, but 2-3 seasons ago both were playing in the KHL.

Old
06-18-2012, 07:25 AM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

You said why sign former KHL guys if they are going to stay in the PHL - but the reality of that move is they signed current PHL guys because they are still in the PHL

Old
06-18-2012, 07:43 AM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
let's see what transpires, may be they are gearing up for the next year?

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 07:46 AM
ozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
let's see what transpires, may be they are gearing up for the next year?
I'm 99% sure that none of the players have a deal that lasts longer than next season.

Old
06-18-2012, 08:10 AM
cska78

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
I'm 99% sure that none of the players have a deal that lasts longer than next season.
well, had they applied to VHL there would have been rumors at the least.

Old
06-18-2012, 08:18 AM
ozo

Quote:
well, had they applied to VHL there would have been rumors at the least.
Well Yunost Minsk applied just few days ago, it came out of blue as well, so lets wait.

Old
06-18-2012, 09:59 AM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

But the PHL confirmed them recently, and they themselves announced that next year is the PHL....would they just jump ship out of nowhere like that?

Old
06-18-2012, 10:42 AM
cska78

Quote:
But the PHL confirmed them recently, and they themselves announced that next year is the PHL....would they just jump ship out of nowhere like that?
mb 2 teams, like donbas?

Old
07-30-2012, 02:13 PM
cska78

couple of teams: Berkut and Kompanyon had been fortifiying heavily.

Old
07-30-2012, 03:23 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

komp got a new logo, too

i just wish the money was going to another non-kiev team, dont care where

Old
08-10-2012, 05:34 PM
Robotic

Berkut has Gongalsky on try-out

Robotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 09:31 PM
finchster

Send a message via ICQ to finchster
Brovary have a sponsor and will play this year, Vinnytsia still in question.

http://www.mournhockey.com.ua/page-id-1351.html

finchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 03:24 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

http://isport.ua/hockey/ukraine/news/214301.html

Donbass-2, Lviv, and Berkut want to turn the league into a major-junior league?

i can understand D2 wanting this (they're doing it anyway), and I guess Lviv has nothing to lose, but why would Berkut say this now after stacking up on vets?

I don't like the idea, maybe have a minimum number of kids on every team to help development but turning the entire league into a U-25? That would just force every Ukrainian player 26+ (of which are most) to play in Belarus or the VHL or wherever....I don't get it. Not only that, but it would screw up the idea of the Ukrainian Championship itself.

Ukraine doesn't have enough decent U25 players to ice an 8 team league either

Old
08-26-2012, 03:45 PM
cska78

Quote:
http://isport.ua/hockey/ukraine/news/214301.html

Donbass-2, Lviv, and Berkut want to turn the league into a major-junior league?

i can understand D2 wanting this (they're doing it anyway), and I guess Lviv has nothing to lose, but why would Berkut say this now after stacking up on vets?

I don't like the idea, maybe have a minimum number of kids on every team to help development but turning the entire league into a U-25? That would just force every Ukrainian player 26+ (of which are most) to play in Belarus or the VHL or wherever....I don't get it. Not only that, but it would screw up the idea of the Ukrainian Championship itself.

Ukraine doesn't have enough decent U25 players to ice an 8 team league either
belorus' has something similar going on (not that strict though), but imho this idea is stupid, unless each and every one of these 8 teams moves onto VHL/OBL and uses PHL as the farm-league

Old
08-27-2012, 12:19 AM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
belorus' has something similar going on (not that strict though), but imho this idea is stupid, unless each and every one of these 8 teams moves onto VHL/OBL and uses PHL as the farm-league
yeah

honestly, the idea of them creating a junior-only league when they first proposed it was sketchy enough as it was....there just isn't enough talent to go around to justify it at the moment

to then take the so-far-failed idea of a junior league, and then scrap the PHL altogether to make it....just seems ridiculously stupid. Not to mention, most of the players would end up being imports (D2's roster is over 50% imports, mostly Russian)

my only thinking is

donbass-2 = they're already doing it
berkut = they are gearing up to promote their team / khl / vhl, and will be doing it next year
lviv = it would be cheaper

Last edited by Sokil: 08-27-2012 at 12:32 AM.
Old
08-27-2012, 03:28 AM
ozo

I hate this lack of direction generally, but really where would those overage players (about 85 percent of serious Ukrainian hockey players) go in such case? Who would take them? It's Romanian league again for them.

At this time such league looks like a stupid idea, unless you force upon teams no foreigner rule. Then I could behind it somehow.

Old
08-27-2012, 06:50 AM
cska78

stupid selfish offer, imho

Old
08-27-2012, 10:25 AM
smitty10

Quote:
stupid selfish offer, imho
Agreed.

Of course this works for Donbass-2 as they're being used as the development team for Donbass Donetsk and Berkut is looking to do the same. This would give their prospects a place to play before they're ready for the KHL. However, turning it into a junior league (say 23 and under) wouldn't do much for the owners of the other teams or Ukrainian hockey in general.

If they want a junior league, they should have a couple Ukrainian teams join the MHL, a couple join MHL-B and then create junior A and B leagues for local competition between clubs. This would create a good stepping stone development system for the leagues and would help them to develop KHL-calibur players from the ground up and would create a competitive development system that would retain Ukrainian-born players.

- "PHL-B"- would be a Junior B hockey league for graduates of local AA/AAA* teams.
- "PHL-A"- would be a Junior A league for high-end graduates of local AAA* teams.
- MHL-B- have a Ukrainian team or two join this league for elite younger Ukrainians or guys who can't quite cut it in the MHL, but want to pursue major junior/professional hockey.
- MHL- have a team for each of the Ukrainian KHL teams for Ukraine's most elite prospects to play for.

The Ukrainian KHL teams could then use the PHL as a feeder/farm system for the top graduates of the MHL/MHL-B programs who are either too old for those leagues or are ready for the next level to prepare them for the KHL. This would help to develop talent locally and provide an increasingly competitive league for Ukrainian development and for the national team to fill out their depth from.

So the development system would basically be (in this order): PHL-B, PHL-A, MHL-B, MHL, PHL, KHL with players skipping steps if they are capable.

* Not sure how Ukraine's youth/minor hockey system is ranked, but in North America AA is the second highest level of minor hockey and AAA is the highest.

Old
08-27-2012, 02:35 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
If they want a junior league, they should have a couple Ukrainian teams join the MHL, a couple join MHL-B and then create junior A and B leagues for local competition between clubs. This would create a good stepping stone development system for the leagues and would help them to develop KHL-calibur players from the ground up and would create a competitive development system that would retain Ukrainian-born players.
This.

I mean, like I said, look at HC Donbass-2's roster. It's half Russian. If they want to do junior teams, why not play in the MHL? It's better for their development anyway.

Quote:
- "PHL-B"- would be a Junior B hockey league for graduates of local AA/AAA* teams.
- "PHL-A"- would be a Junior A league for high-end graduates of local AAA* teams.
- MHL-B- have a Ukrainian team or two join this league for elite younger Ukrainians or guys who can't quite cut it in the MHL, but want to pursue major junior/professional hockey.
- MHL- have a team for each of the Ukrainian KHL teams for Ukraine's most elite prospects to play for.
No need to junior a/b the PHL junior circuit, not enough players left over from the ones in the MHL farm in this instance. If they're not good enough to PHL-Jr, and not going pro, they can play night hockey league / WUAHL / beer league, their career's over anyway.

for MHL, have 2 (donbass, berkut) and call it a day. Who would ice a team in MHL-B?