HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oscar Klefbom Thread | 10GP: 0G-3A-3PTS +7

Closed Thread

Old
08-26-2012, 10:20 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
Paajarvi trained with Landeskog last off season. Landeskog mentioned that Paajarvi was very strong. His issues are all in his head. If he learns to use his size he will be tough to handle.
IIRC the exact quote from Landeskog was "Magnus has the strongest legs in the world". That said it still looks like he could thicken up a bit and start to use those legs to draw penalties and win battles.

08-27-2012, 03:37 AM
Ragss

Is there really any precedent to give us hope that Magnus will develop some grit? Just mix in a little bit of Omark's swede-style grit and suddenly you have a great player...

Old
08-27-2012, 06:08 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
I've said that before... combine Magnus and Linus into one body and you probably have a superstar to join the "big 4".

Old
08-27-2012, 11:21 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragss View Post
Is there really any precedent to give us hope that Magnus will develop some grit? Just mix in a little bit of Omark's swede-style grit and suddenly you have a great player...
I'm sure that there's been lots of Euro's that have had a difficult transition to the physicality of the North American game but later on got used to it and thrived. Will this be the case with Magnus? I sure as hell hope so, if the AHL playoffs were any indication, I like our chances.

Old
08-27-2012, 11:30 AM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

I have heard this "Magnus in the AHL playoffs" mentioned a few times now - what happened in the AHL playoffs? Did I miss a review post, or can anyone catch me up?

Old
08-27-2012, 11:44 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreAstronaut View Post
I have heard this "Magnus in the AHL playoffs" mentioned a few times now - what happened in the AHL playoffs? Did I miss a review post, or can anyone catch me up?
He played gritty, went to the tough areas, wasn't avoiding contact, basically a polar opposite of what he was for much of his time in Edmonton last year.

There should be videos and people's opinions on how the team and players did here http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1169831

Old
08-27-2012, 01:47 PM
LaGu

Quote:
Ah, a slippery slope that... I've brought up comparisons to other Swedes who have had a hard time in the beginning of their careers before but every single there will be at least one poster who will point out the significant differences between PRV and the other player (and there are always differences so it's not obviously not wrong), or that there is an equal number of times where a "similar" player has failed to succeed (which is also a valid reply).

I obviously don't know better than anyone else on these boards, but I guess I tend to hope very convincingly (at least to myself) that things will work out for the kid.

Anyway, two of the most prominent players that have been brought up before are Markus Naslund and Loui Eriksson. Both considered great talents and with exceptional work ethic and behaviour but none of them managed to perform from the get go in the NHL.

Naslund
6 ft 0 / 191 lb
16th overall.
20 years old his rookie year.
(Season Team GP G A P PIM)
93–94 Penguins 71 4 7 11 27
93–94 Cleveland 5 1 6 7 4
94–95 Penguins 14 2 2 4 2
94–95 Cleveland 7 3 4 7 6
94–95 Cleveland 4 1 3 4 8 (Playoffs)

95–96 Penguins 66 19 33 52 36
95–96 Canucks 10 3 0 3 6
95–96 Canucks 6 1 2 3 8 (Playoffs)
96–97 Canucks 78 21 20 41 30
97–98 Canucks 76 14 20 34 56
Comment: "In his early years he was labelled in the media as "Mr. September", referring to his ability to show promise before struggling once the season began." For the very beginning he was critizied for being to nice and not being able to play the NA way.

Eriksson
6 ft 2 /193 lb
33rd overall.
20 years old his rookie year.
05–06 Iowa 78 31 29 60 27
05–06 Iowa 7 2 5 7 0 (Playoffs)
06–07 Iowa 15 5 3 8 13
06–07 Iowa 9 2 5 7 0 (Playoffs)
06–07 Dallas 59 6 13 19 18
06–07 Dallas 4 0 1 1 0 (Playoffs)
07–08 Dallas 69 14 17 31 28
07–08 Dallas 18 4 4 8 8 (Playoffs)
07–08 Iowa 2 1 2 3 2
08–09 Dallas 82 36 27 63 14
Comment: An amazing talent at a very young age (at age 11 he was playing with 16 year olds, rookie of the year at 18 in SEL). Despite an organization (Dallas) being confident in his development he was critizied for not being able to play the NA way in his early years. Considered to be too careful and too nice on the ice. Leaving too much space for players to overtake him due to the fact the he was avoiding the "close contact game".

Paajarvi
6 ft 2 / 204 lb
10th overall.
19 year old his rookie year.
10–11 Oilers 80 15 19 34 16
11–12 Oilers 41 2 6 8 4
11–12 Barons 34 7 18 25 4
11–12 Barons 14 2 9 11 2 (Playoffs)
Comment: At the age of 14-15 he played with the 20 year olds in Malmo (SEL organization). He made his debut in the SEL at 16 and 5 months and scored his first goal (GW) in his first game, assisted by Anton Lander. With regards to his NA career I think everyone already knows the story, as far as it goes.

Old
08-27-2012, 02:19 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
He played gritty, went to the tough areas, wasn't avoiding contact, basically a polar opposite of what he was for much of his time in Edmonton last year.

There should be videos and people's opinions on how the team and players did here http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1169831
Well yeah but that's because he was letting Belanger take those assignments.

Old
08-27-2012, 02:21 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Well yeah but that's because he was letting Belanger take those assignments.
I'm about as big of a Paajarvi fan as their is and IMO he played very tentative and pretty much scared for much of his last year in the NHL.

Old
08-27-2012, 02:56 PM
SouthSwe

We lost 5-6 in overtime yesterday.

We took the lead 5 times but they equalised every time.
A Färjestad fan who saw the first of the two games said this about Oscar:

"Klefbom, damn he is good. He was in several tough situations where he very easily fooled a few opponents and just walked out with the puck. Some dangerous situations but he looked as calm as ever.

Also took a few trips were he joined the forwards in the attacks. Guess he wants to improve that bit."

Old
08-27-2012, 03:00 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSwe View Post
We lost 5-6 in overtime yesterday.

We took the lead 5 times but they equalised every time.
A Färjestad fan who saw the first of the two games said this about Oscar:

"Klefbom, damn he is good. He was in several tough situations where he very easily fooled a few opponents and just walked out with the puck. Some dangerous situations but he looked as calm as ever.

Also took a few trips were he joined the forwards in the attacks. Guess he wants to improve that bit."
Good stuff, I'd like to see him add more of an offensive element to his game as well, his skating is good enough that he can gamble a bit and still get back into the play if it heads back the other way.

Old
08-28-2012, 12:21 PM
Sevendust

Saw Klefbom play against my home town team where his team lost 5-6 in overtime. I have to say that his size is impressive for his age and that he seams like a good skater. Overall he wasn´t very noticeable what can be good or bad for a teenager playing with men. He definitly will need some time to adjust to the north american ice and sorroundings, so oilers fans shouldn´t put to much hope in seeing him play for their main team very soon. I would say he is 2-3 years away from that ...

Old
08-28-2012, 03:16 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevendust View Post
Saw Klefbom play against my home town team where his team lost 5-6 in overtime. I have to say that his size is impressive for his age and that he seams like a good skater. Overall he wasn´t very noticeable what can be good or bad for a teenager playing with men. He definitly will need some time to adjust to the north american ice and sorroundings, so oilers fans shouldn´t put to much hope in seeing him play for their main team very soon. I would say he is 2-3 years away from that ...
I honestly think the Oilers will put Klefbom into the lineup before a 2-3 year time horizon. I think as soon as 13/14 he'll be given a very hard look and be given every chance to make the team.

Old
08-28-2012, 04:19 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I honestly think the Oilers will put Klefbom into the lineup before a 2-3 year time horizon. I think as soon as 13/14 he'll be given a very hard look and be given every chance to make the team.
I think that would be a mistake. Unless something drastic changes 2-3 years is where Klefbom should be. No point in rushing a d-man, especially one that is playing on a different ice surface.

Old
08-28-2012, 04:54 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I think that would be a mistake. Unless something drastic changes 2-3 years is where Klefbom should be. No point in rushing a d-man, especially one that is playing on a different ice surface.
How would you or any of us know one way or the other?

Who even watches Klefbom play other than the WJC?

Seriously.

If we go by the WJC, Klefbom > Murray.

Yet Murray is a sure thing to make the nhl this year, but Klefbom is three or four years away still.

Old
08-28-2012, 05:15 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
How would you or any of us know one way or the other?

Who even watches Klefbom play other than the WJC?

Seriously.

If we go by the WJC, Klefbom > Murray.

Yet Murray is a sure thing to make the nhl this year, but Klefbom is three or four years away still.
The guy is a #7 in the SEL. Something out there screams he is a bit further away then people think. Add the whole transition to the North American game and that defense take longer to develop, and I'd be willing to bet he is 2-3 years away and not going to be given all sorts of chances in 13-14.

Old
08-28-2012, 05:33 PM
Sevendust

Compared to the other players he looked okay. He didn´t contributed much to the offensive part in this game and wasn´t much on the power play either. Negative was also that he wasn´t overall physical and even got hammered by a hit behind his own net which brought him on his butt. But as i said he is a boy playing along men and you could see that there is definitly potential in relation to skating, decision making and positional play in him. I can see him turn into a 5-20-25 top 4 defender like Dennis Seidenberg...

Old
08-28-2012, 06:01 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
The guy is a #7 in the SEL. Something out there screams he is a bit further away then people think. Add the whole transition to the North American game and that defense take longer to develop, and I'd be willing to bet he is 2-3 years away and not going to be given all sorts of chances in 13-14.
dont put too much stock in #7, it's about TOI. Pay attention to what SouthSwe says.

Old
08-28-2012, 06:55 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevendust View Post
Compared to the other players he looked okay. He didn´t contributed much to the offensive part in this game and wasn´t much on the power play either. Negative was also that he wasn´t overall physical and even got hammered by a hit behind his own net which brought him on his butt. But as i said he is a boy playing along men and you could see that there is definitly potential in relation to skating, decision making and positional play in him. I can see him turn into a 5-20-25 top 4 defender like Dennis Seidenberg...
I know it's just one person's opinion, one man's observations... But damn... Denis Seidenberg? That kind of sucks... He was a nobody up until he came to Boston to play with Chara... was barely a top four guy... little to no offensive output. I know to always keep my predictions and hopes in check when it comes to these sorts of things... but I will be disappointed if that's all Klefbom amounts to... heck it took Seidenberg almost 10 years to become the player he is today.

Old
08-28-2012, 07:05 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post

I really don't think he ever avoided contact he's just not used to intiating it. Patrik Berglund went through the same thing in St.Louis. In Sweden the game is very different. Players play more on the perimiter and rely on 2 on 1s to beat opponents as opposed to the cycle. Players also tend to move the puck to the middle of the ice with passes more so than skating it there. It's an adjustment for Paajarvi, but IMO he never seemed scared or unwilling to engage.

Old
08-28-2012, 07:06 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Berglund.

Old
08-28-2012, 11:57 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
I really don't think he ever avoided contact he's just not used to intiating it. Patrik Berglund went through the same thing in St.Louis. In Sweden the game is very different. Players play more on the perimiter and rely on 2 on 1s to beat opponents as opposed to the cycle. Players also tend to move the puck to the middle of the ice with passes more so than skating it there. It's an adjustment for Paajarvi, but IMO he never seemed scared or unwilling to engage.
I very much so disagree with your assessment, that said it's a discussion that will go in circles so I'll just agree to disagree. And again, you'll be hard pressed to find bigger Paajarvi fans than I am.

Old
08-29-2012, 09:56 AM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
I know it's just one person's opinion, one man's observations... But damn... Denis Seidenberg? That kind of sucks... He was a nobody up until he came to Boston to play with Chara... was barely a top four guy... little to no offensive output. I know to always keep my predictions and hopes in check when it comes to these sorts of things... but I will be disappointed if that's all Klefbom amounts to... heck it took Seidenberg almost 10 years to become the player he is today.
Seidenberg didn't get much recognition around the league until he went to Boston, but he has been an incredibly effective player for years. If Kelfbom develops into the same type of player for us, then he'll have covered the bet as a mid-first round pick IMO.

08-29-2012, 10:12 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Seidenberg didn't get much recognition around the league until he went to Boston, but he has been an incredibly effective player for years. If Kelfbom develops into the same type of player for us, then he'll have covered the bet as a mid-first round pick IMO.
I really wanted to try snag him when he was in Florida. With that being said, I can really see people being disappointed with Klefbom if he becomes Seidenberg. Playing with Chara makes Seidenberg a solid #2, without Chara Seidenberg probably only looks good if he is on your 2nd pairing.

Old
08-29-2012, 11:51 AM
OiledUp

Some people are putting way too much stock into what basically is early season exhibition games. Klefbom is not a #7. For more on the numbers game in SEL see SouthSwes earlier post. He will likely be a top 2, most definitely a top 4 d-man this season for FBK.
My prediction is that come spring he'll play for Sweden in the WC. Unless his development completely stumps for whatever reason that is. Which happens. But looking at how his development curve has looked for the last year or so that's where we're heading.
So calm down. Let the season get going. Then we can start to worry.

Closed Thread