HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

The Official 2013 Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
08-27-2012, 10:25 AM
Marvelous Manked
Director of Glitter

vCash: 50
The Official 2013 Draft Thread

JonnyMacSen brought up the idea of creating the new draft thread, and I know that myself and some others are probably dying to get on to this years draft class. In all honesty, since studying the draft and its prospects pretty religiously since 2008, I think this year is the most exciting other than 2008 itself. It's loaded with talent on offense and defense, and while Mackinnon seems to be the overwhelming favourite for the 1st overall pick, there are plenty who could provide competition.

In order to get a good basis on all the prospects, I think we should start this thread off by talking about a player that you've seen before. Talk about them like you're a scout yourself, I'd much prefer someones own opinion than the regurgitated analysis that gets brought up on these boards. Ideally, we want to get as many junior programs or leagues covered. We all know Steffe and others will come up in the clutch and provide us with some info on the Swedes and potentially Finns. There are plenty here who follow the OHL. Any opinions on WHL, the Q, or the USHL is always greatly appreciated.

So far, the Top 5 has been generally agreed upon. Most think it will go somewhat like this.

1. Nathan Mackinnon, RW (Halifax Mooseheads)
2. Seth Jones, D (USNTDP)
3. Sean Monahan, C (Ottawa 67s)
4. Rasmus Ristolainen, D (TPS)
5. Alex Barkov, C (Tappara)

I'll start off with some prospects that I've seen frequently enough to comment on.

Sean Monahan (Ottawa 67s)
Probably going to be the most popular topic in this thread, Monahan is everything you could ask for in a center. When I first saw him in Minor Midget, he was the Captain of the Mississauga Rebels in the OHL Cup. It was hard not to notice him, as he scored winning goals all the way through, including ALMOST single-handedly winning the OHL Cup over the heavily favoured Marlies. Like that wasn't clutch enough, the next year he scored two goals in the gold medal game to lead Canada to the U17 Championship. He's an elite two way player who can score, pass, shoot, hit, and defend. He's currently listed at 6'1.5", and I think he'll top out at 6'3". I forget if it was MoO or ILCN or whoever that compared him to Jonathon Toews, but to me that comparison is almost spot on. I don't think there is a single prospect in this draft class that can do so many aspects of the game at an elite level.

Max Domi (London Knights)
This is a guy that has been hyped for awhile now, partly because he's a very good hockey player, and partly because of his last name. He was a part of the absolutely powerhouse Don Mills Flyers where his dad was an assistant, and his line was the show of the tournament as he and Ottawa 67s 3rd Round Pick BJ Salerno were all over the scoresheet. For me, Domi is an intriguing prospect. He's very small, probably 5'9" if I had to take a guess. His skill is undeniable, with his best asset probably being his shiftiness. He also has amazing puck control. That said, I did catch him not backchecking quite frequently and when the opposition hit him hard, he wasn't as noticeable. If I had to guess now, he'll likely be taken in the mid first round, closer to 10 than to 20. I'm excited to see more of him.

Kerby Rychel (Windsor Spitfires)
First and foremost, I got to give this guy props. Back in the day, the OHL draft used to be before the end of the playoffs. When the Barrie Colts were facing the Spitfires in the OHL Finals, they had the pick before the Spitfires. If you didn't know by now, Rychel is the son of former NHLer and current GM of the Spitfires Warren Rychel. In act of douchebaggery, the Colts picked Rychel the pick before, after Warren had stated that he wouldn't select his son until the 2nd round at the earliest. If you think they actually wanted him, you're wrong, because he was traded right after the Colts got swept. After a brief stint with Mississauga, he was traded back to his fathers team the Spitfires? Did he earn his spot on the team? Well he scored 41 goals in only 68 games. As for a scouting report, his best asset is his ability to put the puck in the net. Similar to Puempel in his draft year, Rychel seems to have that natural scoring ability that very few have. Only difference is that Rychel has actually been able to achieve more success already while being younger than Puempel.

Darnel Nurse (Soo Greyhounds)
Playing Minor Midget with the powerhouse Don Mills Flyers (same team as Domi), Darnell Nurse was a man among boys the entire year. Already ~6'3", he dominated in almost every aspect of the game. But how much of that has translated into the OHL? Well, surprisingly enough, the 6'3" defenseman is an incredibly strong skater. He's not so much of a smooth and silky skater, but his acceleration is simply amazing. He frequently rushes, and is pretty smooth in his own end. This year should be quite interesting. I think he has the chance to be a riser.

I'll keep writing more, I just want to get this rolling.

Last edited by Marvelous Manked: 08-27-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old
08-27-2012, 10:56 AM
DJB
Sens best prospect

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1224807

That's a pretty good thread to reference to.

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2012...try-draft.html

Brock's write up on the OHL talent. Solid work.

Last edited by DJB: 08-27-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old
08-27-2012, 10:58 AM
DJB
Sens best prospect

The top end talent in this draft is incredible. The top 3 is outstanding.

Old
08-27-2012, 11:11 AM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

vCash: 500
Excellent writeup's, I whole-heartedly agree with the Monahan/Toews comparisson, solid in both ends, speed and looks like a leader on the ice. Can't wait to watch him this year, he'll be top 3 for sure IMO.

The only way I see the Sens getting this guy is if there's a year long lockout and we win the lottery.

I'll be keeping a close eye Kerby Rychel this year for sure as he may be in our draft range, seems like your prototypical power forward who likes to score around the net, and is tough along the boards, could use more of those in our system.

Max Domi has some amazing skill and it would be the ultimate troll job to the Leafs if the Sens picked him, but I found last year he'd dissappear sometimes on the ice. Granted, other times he made some amazing plays so I guess consistancy needs to improve, plus he's a tad on the small side, although I'm sure he's got that thick skull from his old man

One guy who I think is a bit overrated for next year is Jordan Subban, at 5.8 he's already got his work cut out for him as a dman and I just don't see that "speedy offensive dman" like a Karlsson or Murphy where you can get away with being that small on the backend. I've seen him in the 20's in most mocks and I think by the time the draft rolls around he'll be a 2nd/3rd rounder.

Its looking like while there are some elite players from the OHL this year, the depth is alittle thin going into the later picks, although its still early obviously, but I'm probably going to try to make it to more Q games this year, especially if there is a lockout.

Old
08-27-2012, 11:17 AM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

Also like what I've seen so far from Shinkaruk, Lazar and Bo Horvat

Another guy I plan to keep a close eye on this year is Nicholas Baptiste in Sudbury, who seems to be the top rated "Local Kid" in this years draft, can never count those kids out when Murray is at the draft table

Old
08-27-2012, 11:19 AM
Marvelous Manked
Director of Glitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyMacSen View Post
Also like what I've seen so far from Shinkaruk, Lazar and Bo Horvat

Another guy I plan to keep a close eye on this year is Nicholas Baptiste in Sudbury, who seems to be the top rated "Local Kid" in this years draft, can never count those kids out when Murray is at the draft table
Well thanks to TheSilfverBullet, I kind of have season tickets to the Wolves this year, so between him, de Haan, Schutt, and Silk, I'll be able to watch quite a few prospects.

Old
08-27-2012, 11:22 AM
Marvelous Manked
Director of Glitter

Quote:
Excellent writeup's, I whole-heartedly agree with the Monahan/Toews comparisson, solid in both ends, speed and looks like a leader on the ice. Can't wait to watch him this year, he'll be top 3 for sure IMO.

The only way I see the Sens getting this guy is if there's a year long lockout and we win the lottery.

I'll be keeping a close eye Kerby Rychel this year for sure as he may be in our draft range, seems like your prototypical power forward who likes to score around the net, and is tough along the boards, could use more of those in our system.

Max Domi has some amazing skill and it would be the ultimate troll job to the Leafs if the Sens picked him, but I found last year he'd dissappear sometimes on the ice. Granted, other times he made some amazing plays so I guess consistancy needs to improve, plus he's a tad on the small side, although I'm sure he's got that thick skull from his old man

One guy who I think is a bit overrated for next year is Jordan Subban, at 5.8 he's already got his work cut out for him as a dman and I just don't see that "speedy offensive dman" like a Karlsson or Murphy where you can get away with being that small on the backend. I've seen him in the 20's in most mocks and I think by the time the draft rolls around he'll be a 2nd/3rd rounder.

Its looking like while there are some elite players from the OHL this year, the depth is alittle thin going into the later picks, although its still early obviously, but I'm probably going to try to make it to more Q games this year, especially if there is a lockout.
Glad you talked about Jordan.

I know ILCN and I have disagreed over this in the past, but I've seen a lot of Subban up close and personal and he's cockier than PK. That could be good, that could be bad. Let's just say I really don't think he'd get this much hype if his last name was Subman. He's too small to be an effective defenceman at this point, and his offensive skill isn't overwhelming enough to warrant risking a 1st rounder on him. He's going to be a very interesting prospect.

Old
08-27-2012, 11:38 AM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
Well thanks to TheSilfverBullet, I kind of have season tickets to the Wolves this year, so between him, de Haan, Schutt, and Silk, I'll be able to watch quite a few prospects.
Looking forward to hearing your take on those guys. I have October 7th circled on my calendar, the rest will have to be the OHL Action Pack.

I caught a period and a half of the Waterloo/Sudbury game over the weekend, first person who stuck out to me was Silk, seemed to have good speed and was reading the play really well and setting up some good chances.

Other guy was Campagna, still not sure why he wasn't drafted last year, seemed to be flying all over the offensive zone. Only caught a shift or two from Baptiste but he seemed to be creative with the puck and at times used his size well but also fell alot.

Is Evan de Haan related to Calvin by chance?

Old
08-27-2012, 11:46 AM
Marvelous Manked
Director of Glitter

Quote:
Looking forward to hearing your take on those guys. I have October 7th circled on my calendar, the rest will have to be the OHL Action Pack.

I caught a period and a half of the Waterloo/Sudbury game over the weekend, first person who stuck out to me was Silk, seemed to have good speed and was reading the play really well and setting up some good chances.

Other guy was Campagna, still not sure why he wasn't drafted last year, seemed to be flying all over the offensive zone. Only caught a shift or two from Baptiste but he seemed to be creative with the puck and at times used his size well but also fell alot.

Is Evan de Haan related to Calvin by chance?
Brothers.

More local guys. I know the scout for the Wolves in this area and they love taking Ottawa guys.

Sam Schutt is from the boonies, but played for the Ottawa Valley Titans.
Nathan Pancel is an Ottawa kid, played for the Junior 67s.
Evan de Haan is from Carp, played for the Titans.
Baptiste is from Kanata I think, played for the Junior Senators.

In regards to De Haan, I really think he deserves more credit. Both do. Evan's pretty small, and physically he isn't spectacular, but his vision, PPQB-ing, and passing are very impressive. He played in the CJHL last year for Pembroke, but his brother didn't make the Generals until his draft year (he had played in Kemptville). If he keeps going under the radar, I'd love spending a mid-round pick on him.

Old
08-27-2012, 11:54 AM
Sens Mile

We really have to start trying to improve our draft board. Currently we are missing some assets in only having five draft picks next year.

Ottawa 1st rounder
Ottawa 3rd rounder
Ottawa 4th rounder
Ottawa 5th rounder
Ottawa 6th rounder
Ottawa 7th rounder

Really hope that Bishop shows some stuff this year and we can swap him at the deadline for pieces that help us going into the playoffs/ assets for the draft

Old
08-27-2012, 11:57 AM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Mile View Post
We really have to start trying to improve our draft board. Currently we are missing some assets in only having five draft picks next year.

Ottawa 1st rounder
Ottawa 3rd rounder
Ottawa 4th rounder
Ottawa 5th rounder
Ottawa 6th rounder
Ottawa 7th rounder

Really hope that Bishop shows some stuff this year and we can swap him at the deadline for pieces that help us going into the playoffs/ assets for the draft
If were out of the playoffs by the deadline, Gonchar is a given for a 2nd if he doesn't completely fall off this year.

Old
08-27-2012, 11:59 AM
Marvelous Manked
Director of Glitter

I honestly don't think I'd move Bishop unless it got us into the late 1st round, MAYBE early 2nd.

Old
08-27-2012, 12:22 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

No way does Murray move Bishop unless he is getting a 1st or more.

Old
08-27-2012, 12:27 PM
HenrySpezzaThoreau
Out in the woods

I have this terrible feeling that Monahan is going to go to the leafs and will haunt us for years.

Old
08-27-2012, 12:47 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieDavidThoreau View Post
I have this terrible feeling that Monahan is going to go to the leafs and will haunt us for years.
That would be awful. But unless they finish bottom 3 there is simply no chance.

I just don't see anyone trading out of the top 3 unless it's a huge overpayment. The dropoff between 3 and 4 is pretty large imo.

Old
08-27-2012, 12:58 PM
Marvelous Manked
Director of Glitter

Add:

Playing Minor Midget with the powerhouse Don Mills Flyers (same team as Domi), Darnell Nurse was a man among boys the entire year. Already ~6'3", he dominated in almost every aspect of the game. But how much of that has translated into the OHL? Well, surprisingly enough, the 6'3" defenseman is an incredibly strong skater. He's not so much of a smooth and silky skater, but his acceleration is simply amazing. He frequently rushes, and is pretty smooth in his own end. This year should be quite interesting. I think he has the chance to be a riser.

Old
08-27-2012, 01:09 PM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

Quote:
Add:

He and possibly this Zadarov kid look to be the only defencemen from the OHL that have a chance to make it into the 1st round. This draft is definetely all about forwards it seems, just the same I'll be looking forward to seeing what Nurse can do this year.

Old
08-27-2012, 01:14 PM
Marvelous Manked
Director of Glitter

Quote:
He and possibly this Zadarov kid look to be the only defencemen from the OHL that have a chance to make it into the 1st round. This draft is definetely all about forwards it seems, just the same I'll be looking forward to seeing what Nurse can do this year.
It's also a relatively weak draft year for the OHL in comparison to usual.

Old
08-27-2012, 01:17 PM
Smeddy
For You

vCash: 177
Is there any way to get the OHL Action Pack by itself? Or do you have to get the super sports pack thing?

Old
08-27-2012, 01:25 PM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeddy View Post
Is there any way to get the OHL Action Pack by itself? Or do you have to get the super sports pack thing?
You can get it separately threw Rogers, they'll fight you tooth and nail to get you to take the Super Sports Pack but stick to your guns and you should be fine.

I get Center Ice and the OHL Action Pack separately every year.

Old
08-27-2012, 01:25 PM
Marvelous Manked
Director of Glitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeddy View Post
For Rogers it's the whole thing.

You can get OHL Livestream, but that's online and pretty expensive IIRC.

Old
08-27-2012, 01:30 PM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

Quote:
For Rogers it's the whole thing.

You can get OHL Livestream, but that's online and pretty expensive IIRC.
You've been duped, I've got it separate for the last 3 years, with Center Ice it works out to about $250 for the whole year.

Old
08-27-2012, 01:38 PM
MandyAlwaysKnows
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Old
08-27-2012, 01:53 PM
Marvelous Manked
Director of Glitter

Quote:
You've been duped, I've got it separate for the last 3 years, with Center Ice it works out to about $250 for the whole year.
Good to know.

Its ok though, I need my NFL as well. And MLB kind of. But dedintiey the NFL.

Old
08-27-2012, 04:36 PM
benjiv1

Best case scenario for the draft...

Entire 2012 season is locked out and Ottawa wins the 30 team draft lottery.

Our scouting staff fall in love with Monahan as they have ample time/opportunity to evaluate him.

Despite our scouts being enamored with him, he falls out of the top 5 with the rest of the league's scouts, so Ottawa trades down from the 1st overall pick to the 4th and in the process acquires aanother top 15 pick.

Ottawa drafts Monohan and Domi in the first round, and the two immediately draw comparison to Chicago's tandem of Toews and Kane.

DOMOHAN/MAX DOMONATION/ MAXI-MOHAN CARNAGE is born.

Closed Thread