HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Jody Shelley

Old
08-14-2012, 10:11 AM
ninetynine*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
I like Shelley as a person and he has a good presence in the locker room and in practice. But as a hockey player, he knows what he has to do out there, but the game is faster than he is. If anything he will make a great coaching or sounding board for the younger players on work ethic. As for a fighter he had ONLY 6 fights out of our 57 on the year..... fighting hasn't been down (total number leauge) this much since 2005-2007..... as many have said it's a dying breed, the enforcer. I think (know) teams would rather have big skilled guy, who can skate and put one in from time to time AND drop the gloves when needed. Playing a total of 30 games and having 1 assist, just doesn't cut it anymore....

He is hardly relevant.... as RUPP said.
Of course teams would rather have a bigger skilled tough guy, but for the most part they're a myth, regardless of what most on this site seem to believe. A player good enough to make it on skill alone won't be fighting much, and they certainly don't grow on trees. Enforcers dying out? Been hearing that one for years, I'll believe it when I see it. If Shelley's irrelevant Rupp was very close this year...

ninetynine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 10:13 AM
ninetynine*

Jody Shelley is a valuable member of the team.

Old
08-14-2012, 10:13 AM
Prongo
Beer

Man.... gotta really respect ninetynine's perseverance for defending Shelley. He just does not quit.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 12:32 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynine View Post
Is that why he never plays? He's so valuable they can't risk it?

08-14-2012, 12:35 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
yep. he does 2 things well. takes punches to the face, and keeps the seat warm in the pressbox.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 01:37 PM
Flyerfan4life

You forgot opens the bench door better then anyone when he's in the lineup..

Shelley is the very definition of irrelevant on this team in the current NHL.

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 02:17 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Jody Shelley should get his ass wavied and sent to the minors or be bought out or traded for nothing we have young and better players to do the job he can't do anymore.Hope hes gone before the season starts if we have a season that is but i'm hopeful .

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 03:04 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
yep. he does 2 things well. takes punches to the face, and keeps the seat warm in the pressbox.
Meh, he stands a little to much to keep his seat warm. He's not even good at that.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 11:00 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Bill Meltzer...Shelley apologist?

I'm sorry Bill but even at 750K or whatever, I would still question his true added value... regardless.

There are cheaper ways to promote team morale and to fill in as a cone in practice and the occassional punching bag on the ice. He's taking up a roster spot plain and simple. I don't doubt Shelley is a good person etc but fact is he's a terrible hockey player.

Hire a team clown or have the ice girls entertain after practice and in between periods but ..please let's not justify keeping him around b/c he's a likeable guy.

Quote:
When the Flyers signed Shelley in the 2010 offseason, the club overpaid to lure the veteran enforcer away from the New York Rangers. He received a three-year contract worth $1.1 million against the salary cap.

Over the course of his tenure in Philadelphia, Shelley has been a good solider who has been unpopular with a segment of the fan base solely because of his contract. If he were earning $750,000 to $800,000 on his deal, there wouldn't be as many folks complaining about the salary he collects while playing sparingly.

Shelley has done whatever he can to make himself valuable to the team, beyond dropping the gloves. He willingly does plenty of things that fans don't get to see and of which the media catches only glimpses, but which his teammates and coaches notice and appreciate.

For example, he spent much of last season practicing as an eighth defenseman, although he never skated a shift on the blueline in a game. That allowed the Flyers to get reps for all seven of their roster defensemen; rolling out four pairs at practice when everyone was available or having a stand-in in case of maintenance days.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...elley/45/46108

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 08-15-2012 at 11:08 AM.
FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 01:31 PM
ninetynine*

Sestito is more of an oversized middleweight, nobody on the team fills the role of Shelley except Jody Shelley, and it's a good role to fill. He was a good signing.

Old
08-27-2012, 01:32 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Sestito is more of an oversized middleweight, nobody on the team fills the role of Shelley except Jody Shelley, and it's a good role to fill. He was a good signing.
Except Shelley sucks at his role, and it's a role that no longer serves a purpose in the NHL. It's a crap signing at 1.1 million per year.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 01:54 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
what? Shelley is terrible at his job. Good signing my ass

I think he's a great person off the ice, but he shouldnt be getting paid $1.1m to be that.

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 02:45 PM
nuclear reactor

With Hartnell locked up I expect PH to start work on re-upping Shelley. Opening bid: 3 years 3 million. Per.

nuclear reactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 03:31 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
nobody on the team fills the role of Shelley except Jody Shelley, and it's a good role to fill. He was a good signing.
do you keep having to post this so you can try to convince yourself its true ???

BTW, your totaly wrong ... he is a waste of a roster spot and so far past his "prime ?", its almost laffable that hes still is able to dress for us..

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 03:33 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclear reactor View Post
With Hartnell locked up I expect PH to start work on re-upping Shelley. Opening bid: 3 years 3 million. Per.
yes clearly Shelley is a priority over Timonen

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 08:10 PM
ninetynine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
do you keep having to post this so you can try to convince yourself its true ???

BTW, your totaly wrong ... he is a waste of a roster spot and so far past his "prime ?", its almost laffable that hes still is able to dress for us..
..or the team values the enforcer type differently than you. There's nothing wrong with admitting that's the case and has been since the Jody Shelley type arrived in the NHL in the late 1990's. He provides an edge when he plays and yeah he's not the best fighter, but he's better than Janssen. You don't have to win every fight, you do have to show up though.

Old
08-28-2012, 07:25 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
I'm sorry Bill but even at 750K or whatever, I would still question his true added value... regardless.

There are cheaper ways to promote team morale and to fill in as a cone in practice and the occassional punching bag on the ice. He's taking up a roster spot plain and simple. I don't doubt Shelley is a good person etc but fact is he's a terrible hockey player.

Hire a team clown or have the ice girls entertain after practice and in between periods but ..please let's not justify keeping him around b/c he's a likeable guy.
Of course he's a good soldier, he's getting paid big bucks not to play.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote