HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What does your 2012-2013 optimism look like?

Old
08-26-2012, 11:36 PM
shamrun

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
Stanley Cup Champion
That's all I have to say
With that determined look i see from your avatar ill have to agree.

shamrun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 11:41 PM
danyhabsfan

I just want a season

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 06:22 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
I just want a season
Same. Even a shortened season would suck because any team or player accomplishments will be brushed off by "haters" because it wasn't a full 82 game sample.

JGRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 07:05 AM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
le frere andrei?

ok, serious answer: leblanc or gallagher.

ok ok, really serious answer... i don't know
Quite frankly, short of signing Doan to a ridiculously bad contract, there is no other choice.

Bourque had a rough end to his season in Montreal. He gets traded from Calgary, is thrown into a hell of a scenario with the situation of the team at that time, and he was often shifted between lines and linemates. I think with a coach like Therrien, he'll be told to play more aggressive, use his body in corners and in front of the net, and play a bigger game. If Therrien can get him going, he could be a good fit for the second line, at least for the time being until an option opens up - be it Hamilton or free agency.

It takes effort and determination, two things Therrien is very high on. Bourque will get his chance but if he's content on coasting around instead of being more involved in the play, he'll likely take a seat at the end of the bench for a period or two.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 10:02 AM
bsl

Quote:
le frere andrei?

ok, serious answer: leblanc or gallagher.

ok ok, really serious answer... i don't know
Carbo always said, you don't just get given anything, you have to steal your spot from someone else.

Let's see what LL is made of. This is the year he can steal a spot top six. That's what you have to do. Steal it. I'll be watching him.

Needs another year on the dogs? That's up to him. This is a huge year for LL.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 10:14 AM
SnapVirus

I miss hockey. Cant wait.

SnapVirus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 11:56 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Carbo always said, you don't just get given anything, you have to steal your spot from someone else.
That's poor management in my opinion.

Roster should be based on competent projections based on several years of performance at all levels, not on the luck and random chance of injuries and slumps.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 12:13 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
The current Habs roster has a good shot at Nathan MacKinnon in the 2013 NHL entry draft.
So do several other teams, including a few who made the playoffs in 2012. Only in your imagination would the Habs finish below the Blue Jackets. And if the season is lost, there would be a league-wide lottery as in 2005, and the Habs would be lucky to have the fifth pick again.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 12:13 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
That's poor management in my opinion.

Roster should be based on competent projections based on several years of performance at all levels, not on the luck and random chance of injuries and slumps.
true, but i don't think that's what he meant

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 12:44 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
true, but i don't think that's what he meant
What do you think Carobonneau meant?

Old
08-27-2012, 12:49 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
So do several other teams, including a few who made the playoffs in 2012. Only in your imagination would the Habs finish below the Blue Jackets. And if the season is lost, there would be a league-wide lottery as in 2005, and the Habs would be lucky to have the fifth pick again.
Simply not true.

My prediction is 11th-15th place in the Eastern Conference, and thus whether we draft 1st or 7th depends on luck, injuries, etc. I don't expect the Habs to finish below the Blue Jackets, I only see that happening if we lose one of Subban, Price, or Plekanec.

The Hockey News puts us at 13th place, and thus they are in perfect agreement with my in depth analysis of the Habs roster, which was posted before theirs. If you look back at THN predictions in the past few years you'll find they do better than random chance.

Obviously a lottery would probably be catastrophic for the Habs ... never mind the fact I want to watch some games.

Old
08-27-2012, 01:18 PM
ChoseLa

Picking Mackinnon would be neat.

ChoseLa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 01:27 PM
DrunkenHabz

Galchenyuk wins Calder.

DrunkenHabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 01:27 PM
Tom Terrific

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
MB will fix the habs. He will do it mostly from within the organization.
Prospects will get a proper chance to improve in order to earn a spot on the main roster. Sounds simple but it sure has not been implemented in the last few years. Martin was WAY too married to the old veterans. He played them over and over hoping they would turn the team around, well he died with those vets and so did the habs. A waisted year for sure.
MB has handed Timmons a cart blanche finally. No more interference from PG or Gainey. Now on the ice from now on you had better bring your " A " game every night. You had better get along with your team mates and that's ever last one of them. No more in fighting in the room.
Therrien has carte blanche to bench,trade,send down ANYBODY that does not buy into the NEW HABS. This I think will have an effect because I think at least one of the players will test the resolve of Therrien right away. This will lead the player to go to MB office and there, instead of getting his way he will find the exit door and a MB that will tell the player to put his house on the market or go back and DO what Therrein says, and don't slam the door on the way out. We may never hear about all this but I bet this will happen in the first two months. The rest of the players will of course know all this and realize things have really changed. most will be very very happy, the silent ones will realize that doing just enough to get by is NOT good enough anymore. No more easy resort living, no more palm trees and pina coladas hockey. By the way did anybody else notice that NO and GET OUT OF HERE sound the same in any language. Translators not need.

The Feel of the Habs this year will be very different. The few additions will help, but over all I don't think anybody does not understand that this coming year is a transition year. A lot of the very best habs prospects wont be ready this year. This year it's called fix the boat up first, plug the holes, repaint, install the best radars and radios and a great new GPS system so the Habs will always know exactly where they are going all the time. Next year it's start adding horse power to the main engines. adding a bigger set of transmissions for the back end and then adding some high powered turbo boosters for the front end of the engines are for next year.
As I was reading this I agreed with 99% of it...when it came to the player not happy with Therrien's system I immediately imagined Plekanec...I don't know why, it just seems to me that he'll be very upset if he isn't given an opportunity to play with Pacioretty and/or Cole with the 1st 15 games or so...And we all know how impressed Therrien was with the DD-Cole-Pax line. I don't imagine Plekanec wanting another year with sub-top-6 players, which either then Gionta he surely will be. I could see him asking for changes....

Tom Terrific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 01:52 PM
Tom Terrific

IMO the only way the habs even make the playoffs is if there are MAJOR injuries to Boston, and to a lesser degree Ottawa, Buffalo and Toronto. Mtl wins division and lands in 3rd place (not due to points).
I look at the East and see Pittsburgh, Philly, NYR, Washington and Boston(barring major injuries) as automatic for the playoffs, I see Carolina making major improvements and probable for the playoffs....so of the 2 remaining playoff spots, it'll be a dog fight between Montreal, Ottawa, Buffalo, Toronto, Florida and Tampa Bay...what I don't see is that top 6 forward needed to contend. I don't see several other teams being worst than last year(TB, Flo, Ott, Tor) who all ended higher in standings than Mtl. I do see Montreal CLOSER to landing in a bottom 5 in the East rather than a top 8! As such I do see Montreal CLOSER to landing a lottery pick (and chance to land McKinnon) than a Stanley Cup!

There are too many IFs this year... But, just like last year, I'll watch every game! win or lose, cheering all the way.

Old
08-27-2012, 05:30 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Simply not true.

My prediction is 11th-15th place in the Eastern Conference, and thus whether we draft 1st or 7th depends on luck, injuries, etc. I don't expect the Habs to finish below the Blue Jackets, I only see that happening if we lose one of Subban, Price, or Plekanec.

The Hockey News puts us at 13th place, and thus they are in perfect agreement with my in depth analysis of the Habs roster, which was posted before theirs. If you look back at THN predictions in the past few years you'll find they do better than random chance.

Obviously a lottery would probably be catastrophic for the Habs ... never mind the fact I want to watch some games.
So 11th is the best you think we'll do this year? Really? If everything goes right and we have minimal injuries, you don't think this collection of players has any shot at being a playoff team?

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 05:35 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Terrific View Post

As I was reading this I agreed with 99% of it...when it came to the player not happy with Therrien's system I immediately imagined Plekanec...I don't know why, it just seems to me that he'll be very upset if he isn't given an opportunity to play with Pacioretty and/or Cole with the 1st 15 games or so...And we all know how impressed Therrien was with the DD-Cole-Pax line. I don't imagine Plekanec wanting another year with sub-top-6 players, which either then Gionta he surely will be. I could see him asking for changes....
He'll probably start with Gionta on a wing, and then it's a matter of wether Bourque shows up ready to be a top-6 player, one of the younger players steps up, or management tries to upgrade that slot via trade or signing.

Either way, I don't see Plekanec making a stink about it, especially if the other line is rolling, and even less so if the team is playing ~.500 hockey.

He's locked in for a while, there's no contract or stat incentives to make him focused on anything other than the team success. I don't see him being an attitude problem.

Hopefully, if we do need to fill that hole on the market, MB acts sooner rather than later and finds a team with a need Kaberle/Bourque would tempt them for.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 05:58 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Simply not true.

Simply not true? Because you take the THN forecast as near-gospel?. I'd say that finishing 11th-15th in the East (not even considering the West) probably wouldn't give the Habs a good shot at the best player in the draft. Finishing 11th would rule it out mathematically if the Blue Jackets finish where they did last season. I'd say the Habs could finish ahead of the Islanders, Leafs, and Jets and perhaps the Oilers, Coyotes, and Flames as well. I might have added the Wild and Canes before they strengthened themselves.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 06:48 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
So 11th is the best you think we'll do this year? Really? If everything goes right and we have minimal injuries, you don't think this collection of players has any shot at being a playoff team?
11th-15th is the range given plausible outcomes.

If there are freak outcomes like no injuries or everybody have a career year simultaneously and each of Boston, Buffalo, Ottawa, and Toronto having a lot of injuries they could do better, but that's not what I was assessing. I was assessing where they would fall given plausible situations, excluding a lockout.

Old
08-27-2012, 06:59 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Simply not true? Because you take the THN forecast as near-gospel?. I'd say that finishing 11th-15th in the East (not even considering the West) probably wouldn't give the Habs a good shot at the best player in the draft. Finishing 11th would rule it out mathematically if the Blue Jackets finish where they did last season. I'd say the Habs could finish ahead of the Islanders, Leafs, and Jets and perhaps the Oilers, Coyotes, and Flames as well. I might have added the Wild and Canes before they strengthened themselves.
The THN forecast isn't near gospel, it's merely very good.

Now, for the competitors to MacKinnon:

1) Blue Jackets. I expect them to do worse than the Habs unless we lose one of Subban, Price, or Plekanec, at which point it's a toss-up. Either way, even the last place team only has a 48% chance at drafting first.
2) Leafs, Jets, Islanders, Habs; looks like a toss up to me, in fact that's why I have it as "11-15". It's those four teams (12-15), plus another spot as a statistical cushion.
3) Coyotes made the conference finals last year and had 97 regular season points.
4) Edmonton had a lot of injuries last year. They have now added Nail Yakupov and Justin Schultz.
5) Flames are a candidate for MacKinnon. Anaheim is another one.

We're by no means guaranteed to draft 1st overall, that would be absurd. However I'd say we have a 40% chance at drafting top-5 and thus a legitimate shot at MacKinnon, and an 80% chance of drafting top-10, and for a draft like next year we'd be getting gold even if we don't get MacKinnon. There are a lot of other good players.

Old
08-27-2012, 07:05 PM
Tom Terrific

Quote:
11th-15th is the range given plausible outcomes.

If there are freak outcomes like no injuries or everybody have a career year simultaneously and each of Boston, Buffalo, Ottawa, and Toronto having a lot of injuries they could do better, but that's not what I was assessing. I was assessing where they would fall given plausible situations, excluding a lockout.
I agree, I honestly believe at this point in time barring major injuries to several other teams there is at least 10 other teams in the East ahead of the tabs this year.... I think the habs are in a transition stage, another year away from the playoffs before a few years of battling for top in the East. Basically I believe the "additions" aren't enough to put us in the playoffs.

Old
08-27-2012, 07:24 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Terrific View Post
I agree, I honestly believe at this point in time barring major injuries to several other teams there is at least 10 other teams in the East ahead of the tabs this year.... I think the habs are in a transition stage, another year away from the playoffs before a few years of battling for top in the East. Basically I believe the "additions" aren't enough to put us in the playoffs.
Yup, that was the analysis I put forth in the surgical tanking thread
hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1237081

Here are things that Habs have to look forward to this year, in no particular order:

1) High 1st rounder draft pick, as well as 3 2nd rounders in what analysts are calling the deepest draft since 2003. Possibly more draft picks if Bergevin has the wisdom to sell at the deadline.

2) Alex Galchenyuk playing 9 games at the start of the year, then dominating in the OHL, leading team USA at the world juniors, then possibly leading his team to a memorial cup run, then joining the Bulldogs at the end of the year. He's our best prospect since Guy Lafleur and he's going on a lot of adventures this year.

3) Watching Eller, Emelin, Desharnais, Subban, Pacioretty, Diaz, Weber, and White grow, hold, or bust into the players we need them to become to win cups in our 2015-2020 window. I don't expect them all to grow this year, but I'm sure some of them will, and that's all we need.

4) The future Habs youth core will include a few of Jarred Tinordi, Nathan Beaulieu, Morgan Ellis, Louis Leblanc, Patrick Holland, Brendan Gallagher, Blake Geoffrion, Aaron Palushaj, Jonas Nattinen, Michael Bournival, Cedrick Desjardins, Greg Pateryn, Ian Schultz will grow together on the most talented Hamilton Bulldogs team of many years. They could make a serious run for the Calder cup, and I'm sure a few of these guys will join the big team in 2013 and beyond.

5) The 22 page thread that will appear on HFboards when Nathan Beaulieu gets to play 19 minutes spread over 2 games in a mini-callup to the Habs in December, and other threads like it.

6) Good hockey across the league. There are good teams in Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, Washington, Vancouver and they will give us good playoff series to enjoy.

7) At the end of the season, Scott Gomez will only have 1 year left on his contract.

8) All those pieces will begin to payoff in the 2013-2014 season. In the summer of 2013, when more sheepish Habs fans type, due to muscle memory: "I think that for 2013-2014 the Habs will be able to compete for 8th place if they have zero injuries", us sober fans will be able to respond that: "even if the Habs have a typical amount of injuries, they should make the playoffs, and have the ability to make noise", and we'll mean it, and it will be a good feeling.

Last edited by DAChampion: 08-27-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old
08-27-2012, 07:41 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Just get a deal done and open training camp.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 07:45 PM
Tom Terrific

100% agree...as I did for the 1 year surgical tank theory....which in my eyes meant we needed to trade away Plekanec for more prospects....but that's for another discussion.

Old
08-27-2012, 07:55 PM
Craig71

We have many young players and like last year we will be hard pressed to score goals when we need them. If we can play better defensively, 8th place is a possibility,that is if we can somehow manage to stay out of the sick bin for most of the season.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote