HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How do int/adv players REALLY feel about n00bs on the ice?

Old
08-22-2012, 02:15 AM
SCBruCrew4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
You nailed it. My skating skills improved the fastest playing against better players, but my puck skills got better when I played with folks my level or lower.
Which is why I said at a a lower level. If your playing with people in your level you can do those things and learn. But me personally and my experiences with multiple sports, challenging myself with stepping up a level has always made me better.

SCBruCrew4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 02:47 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBruCrew4 View Post
Which is why I said at a a lower level. If your playing with people in your level you can do those things and learn. But me personally and my experiences with multiple sports, challenging myself with stepping up a level has always made me better.
It's generally good to mix the level of play up a little. I play in beginner and intermediate-advanced drop-ins.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 08:06 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

I do agree with mixing it up. When you're a complete beginner, it's hard to find people at a lower level than you - but there's a huge difference between playing against others who are at a low level and those who have experience.

I do feel that at the D-league games where there are other beginners that I can spend a little more time with the puck, deciding what to do with it and where. I look up and see who is open for a pass, and sometimes I even skate with it a bit. But playing against the drop-in skaters, where EVERYONE is going to be a lot better than me - sometimes they do let me have the puck for a bit, but I have to get to it first - which means I have to really step up my skating if I want the chance to do so.

I've only been playing since March. Since then, I've learned to skate backwards, do a wrist, slap, and snap shot (not well, not any sort of consistent control over lift, but dang it - I'm at least getting it in the general AREA of the net and sometimes into the net if the goalie isn't paying attention - unlike 5 months ago when it went all over the place), I can carry the puck, and my passing is pretty accurate. I can receive the passes in drills about 90% of the time and in games about 50% of the time. I know where to be at different points in the game, and I can do a line change without any sort of stress or confusion. So there's been a lot of improvement, and that's come from playing in both beginner league and with more advanced players. Almost NONE of it has come from stick time goofing around on the ice.

To be honest, I think back to where I was in March and I'm pretty amazed that I've had so much improvement. I'll never be great - getting good enough to be a solid C-leaguer would be a pretty good accomplishment - but I can already say that I'm about as good a hockey player as I ever was a speedskater.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:38 AM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBruCrew4 View Post
I completely agree with Wilch and JoeCool about the value of playing with less skilled players than yourself. But I suspect they are making an unspoken assumption: If you're playing a 6-8 times a month, having a 1 or 2 of those sessions where you're playing with people below your level can be very helpful to work on things you never have a chance to try with better players. I don't think they are arguing for always playing with less skilled players.

But given that, I agree with SCBruCrew4, I feel that the bulk of playing time probably should be with stiff competition.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 06:53 PM
HockeyStickHomicide
Registered Abuser

Not a big fan of noobs in pickup. If you cant skate or shoot, go to the regular stick n puck where you can practice both without disrupting everything.
I hate playing in a fairly fast paced pickup game with one guy out there that cant make it from red line to redline in 5 minutes..
Not to mention that being a goaltender it also drives me nuts that most noobs shoot high all the time, which results in me having to duck most of the time.
Hitting me in the face from 4 feet away because you cant pick corners gets annoying.
/endrant.
lol

HockeyStickHomicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 08:52 PM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyStickHomicide View Post
Not a big fan of noobs in pickup. If you cant skate or shoot, go to the regular stick n puck where you can practice both without disrupting everything.
I hate playing in a fairly fast paced pickup game with one guy out there that cant make it from red line to redline in 5 minutes..
Not to mention that being a goaltender it also drives me nuts that most noobs shoot high all the time, which results in me having to duck most of the time.
Hitting me in the face from 4 feet away because you cant pick corners gets annoying.
/endrant.
lol
My gripe is the slap shots from 3 feet away. Can't stand them.

Beezeral is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 09:05 PM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
/endrant.
lol
suck it up princess

if you're afraid of the puck, maybe goaltender is not the best position for you

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 10:12 PM
xX Hot Fuss

Quote:
/endrant.
lol
I've never played hockey before in my life, so pardon my ignorance, but why are you "ducking" from high shots as a goalie? Dont you have a glove? I know the first time i get a chance to actually shoot a puck i'm aiming top corner.

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 10:42 PM
Fayne Gretzky

Thanks to everyone for the comments in this thread - I'm 23 and starting hockey (low D level) for the first time ever. I only just learned how to skate (if you can call it that) last winter. Just glad that the general response is that people will be receptive as long as you aren't going around hacking people. Some of the guys on my team are from my work, but there's always that worry of a couple of dbags out there.

Looking forward to just learning more about the game and learning a few skating skills in an applied environment!

Fayne Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 11:06 PM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
suck it up princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
I've never played hockey before in my life, so pardon my ignorance, but why are you "ducking" from high shots as a goalie? Dont you have a glove? I know the first time i get a chance to actually shoot a puck i'm aiming top corner.

Because no goalie wants to risk injury in a pick up game. I don't see skaters risking injury by blocking shots, because it makes no sense. Nobody expects you to risk getting hurt out there.

Old
08-27-2012, 11:52 PM
SaintTavares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
Because no goalie wants to risk injury in a pick up game. I don't see skaters risking injury by blocking shots, because it makes no sense. Nobody expects you to risk getting hurt out there.
So maybe he should ask them to gently slide the puck towards the net from now on...

SaintTavares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 11:55 PM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintTavares View Post
So maybe he should ask them to gently slide the puck towards the net from now on...
That's not what he said, he said that he doesn't appreciate shots around his head/neck and I agree with him. It's a pick up game, not game 7 of the SCF. I am not risking a puck to the neck in a pick up game.

Old
08-28-2012, 12:04 AM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't mind them shooting up high. The only preference I have is for someone to stop if they can't control their shot and repeatedly shoot it straight at my head because that just gets annoying. Otherwise, that's why I paid $400+ for my mask.

StrangeVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 12:24 AM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeVision View Post
I don't mind them shooting up high. The only preference I have is for someone to stop if they can't control their shot and repeatedly shoot it straight at my head because that just gets annoying. Otherwise, that's why I paid $400+ for my mask.
That's what we are referring to. The repeated head shots. I could care less if someone goes high glove or high blocker

Old
08-28-2012, 01:17 AM
xX Hot Fuss

So I'm not supposed to rip my 60 mph shot high berceuse you don't want to wear a neck guard, damage your mask, or get hurt?

Old
08-28-2012, 01:18 AM
xX Hot Fuss

Again, speaking from ignorance here. It all just sounds so silly

Old
08-28-2012, 03:28 AM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

If you keep trying to shoot up high and keep shooting it right at the goalie's head, you should stop trying to shoot up high. Because you are either an ******* or you can't control your shot. I don't really care about getting injured, it's just annoying as hell.

StrangeVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 09:35 AM
Devil Dancer

I don't really understand this argument. Why would someone who can't control his shot be significantly more likely to hit a goalie in the mask?

I have terrible shot accuracy, but I hardly ever hit goalies in the mask. Typically it's the better players who catch goalies up high with high velocity shots.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 11:08 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I get why goalies don't want to get hit in the head, but at that position, you can't really ask a guy to not try to score. Now if a dude is headhunting, that's out of line. Or taking slappers from 10 feet out (unless it's a really competitive game).

If a dude sucks so bad that he keeps sending them at your head, maybe just step out of the way? I had a teammate who switched to goalie for some clinics and first shot I took on him hit him on the wrist of his glove hand and stung so bad it went numb for several minutes. So he just got out of the way whenever I shot afterwards

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 12:48 PM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I get why goalies don't want to get hit in the head, but at that position, you can't really ask a guy to not try to score. Now if a dude is headhunting, that's out of line. Or taking slappers from 10 feet out (unless it's a really competitive game).

If a dude sucks so bad that he keeps sending them at your head, maybe just step out of the way? I had a teammate who switched to goalie for some clinics and first shot I took on him hit him on the wrist of his glove hand and stung so bad it went numb for several minutes. So he just got out of the way whenever I shot afterwards
That's pretty much our exact argument. If a guy keeps shooting it around my head, I'm just going to duck and risk the fact that one of those shots may sneak under the crossbar. It's a pick up game. I'm not risking my neck (pun intended) to stop a shot in a meaningless skate.

Old
08-28-2012, 01:35 PM
sherwood sniper

Respect.. Thats all that this is boiling down to. He's not scared, he dosen't want you to not try and score blah blah.

Its like getting slashed every time you pick up the puck. It doesn't always hurt or even make contact, but i guarantee it will piss you off. Especially when playing meaningless pick up hockey.

It is extremely annoying when the same player shoots there every shot. 9 times out of ten if it is at his head, it wasn't even on net. Shoot elsewhere.

Goalie codes/rules for skaters from a forward/coach:

I do a lot of coaching with new and inexperienced players and these things are done regularly and drive me absolutely nuts.

Most of these apply to warmups. During games no rules apply

-Do not shoot anywhere near the net when the goalie is stretching/ preparing crease.

-Do not shoot when the goalie's back is facing up ice. There is no padding on a goalies backside, plain and simple.

-Only shoot on goal when the goalie is facing you! If hes set up for another shot, just wait man.

-Do not shoot high(head) during warmups. Don't get your goalie out of the game before its even started.

-Don't try and snipe the goalie every shot during warmups. Shooting drills are for the goalie during warmups. If you want to practice accuracy, shoot right at the glove/blocker and pads and make it so he barley moves. All they are doing is getting a feel and timing for the puck. Make you goalie confident in warmups!

sherwood sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 01:45 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
I have a really hard time getting the puck to lift off the ice at all, so you wouldn't have to worry about me hitting you in the neck.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 03:13 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

You're talking as if the guy is aiming at the head though. Outside of a couple of complete idiots, guys are just missing their shots. Short of a "no lifting the puck" rule, it's going to be part of the game.

Agreed on all of the warmup rules though. When I get a new goalie, I usually ask what they want to see in warmups and go with it. I've had a goalie who actually liked the breakaway moves in warmups and I've had a goalie who literally wanted no shots at all for some reason.

For pickup goalies, it's low half-slappers from the blueline and wristers into their glove. I'm warming them up, not trying to score on them.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 03:40 PM
sherwood sniper

Accidental or not, if you come down a couple times and rip it at his head each time, then start shooting lower. Like I said, most times if its at his head it not even on net. Even I have days were I'm just plain off and do it myself, but after a few misplaced high shots I'll try something different to avoid doing it again.

If you can lift the puck, you should also be able to keep it low regardless of accuracy.

sherwood sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 03:53 PM
HockeyStickHomicide
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
suck it up princess

I started playing goal before you were born. I have also watched the leaf play horrible hockey since before you were born. Thankfully both continue on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
Stand three to four feet away from the wall, facing it. Have a friend stand behind you and throw a tennis ball as hard as he can against that wall. Catch it as it comes back to you. Now think of that speed increase about 3x and exchange the ball for a puck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
Exactly. Ill play like crazy in a game, or pickup for the most part. But if I have a guy winds up in a few feet in front of me, im going into the stance that most protects me...and if he hits me in the head, he better prepare for Hextall like vengeance.
Everyones gotta go to work the next morning.

Last thing I need is a concussion because you think your playing for the stanley cup. Its pickup hockey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeVision View Post
Thank you. Why do goaltenders in the NHL rarely take shots in the head? Because mostly everyone out there has the ability to pick corners. No one is shooting high and dead center of the net. If they do, they're not in the NHL very long.

And for clarity: Im talking about pickup hockey.
Games are a whole different matter, and usually I don't play with guys that have the aiming problem or if they do get the puck are unable to get a shot off...so its a rarity that I take one in the head.

Sherwood nailed in the first few sentences.

HockeyStickHomicide is offline   Reply With Quote