HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Daft Skate Question

Old
08-21-2012, 05:19 PM
Warfish
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Daft Skate Question

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to playing hockey, and I've got a daft question, that I almost can't believe I'm asking!

My question - when skates are sharpened for playing hockey, does the blade always end up with a ridge cut down the middle (like an upside down "V")?

I ask because I took my new skates to be sharpened at a local hockey shop here in London, and I got them back in virtually the same state - i.e. the blade is totally flat.

I didn't want to argue with them in the shop (i assumed they knew what they were doing!), but reading posts here about skating using edges, and digging in with edges to stop, etc, i was wondering if I was ripped off, as i essentially have no edges.

Any help for a hockey Noob highly appreciated guys.

Warfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 05:26 PM
JoeCool16

It shouldn't be a "V" the whole way down the blade, it should be more of a square shape. This allows you to shift your body weight from side to side, onto each edge.

The above picture should give a good look at what a skate looks like ultra-close, although the inward "U" isn't really that pronounced. It is actually more square, kind of like how you mentioned.

If your skate has been sharpened correctly, the two edges on either side should be quite sharp when you run your finger down it.

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 05:31 PM
Warfish
Rookie User

Yes, that's perfect, thank you very much.

The bottom of my blade is completely flat, no groove cut into it at all - which I assume, from your picture, means I've been ripped off.

Old
08-21-2012, 05:32 PM
JoeCool16

How does it feel though? Sharp? The groove is very minimal (although my skates are at home and I can't check right now) so it shouldn't be that noticable, and really shouldn't be a V! more of a light concave if anything.

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 05:44 PM
Warfish
Rookie User

They felt ok, but I'm pretty bad at skating at the moment, so hard to tell!

I'm playing (for the the first time ever) in a couple of weeks, so I'll ask one of the guys there to have a look.

The sides of the blade do feel pretty sharp - I assumed that the concave portion would be quite pronounced, and you could see the groove that was cut into it - but maybe you can't, if it's really shallow like you said.

Old
08-21-2012, 09:29 PM
AIREAYE

The hollow isn't pronounced at all.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:32 PM
SCBruCrew4

Take your finger and LIGHTLY run it down the blade...preferably while holding your skate, not while it's laced on your foot (prevent injury hopefully) And you should feel that the edges are sharp. If they feel sharp then your good. If it feels like you could run your finger down it and not get cut then it most likely is dull. My guess is your worrying about the smallest "U" that gets put into the blade when sharpened, in which case you shouldn't worry about it.

SCBruCrew4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:33 PM
MattB43

Here's a close-up of a straight-edge across my blade with a fresh (9/16") sharpening on it. You can just barely see the concave across the blade. If your shop uses a standard grind of 5/8 or 3/4" then it'd be even less noticable.

MattB43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 12:08 AM
ArrogantOwl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBruCrew4 View Post
Take your finger and LIGHTLY run it down the blade...preferably while holding your skate, not while it's laced on your foot (prevent injury hopefully) And you should feel that the edges are sharp. If they feel sharp then your good. If it feels like you could run your finger down it and not get cut then it most likely is dull. My guess is your worrying about the smallest "U" that gets put into the blade when sharpened, in which case you shouldn't worry about it.
Your more likely to cut yourself on a dull blade than a sharp blade when running your finger along it.

ArrogantOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 01:44 AM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Hold the skate in your hand upside down so the blade is facing up and laces are facing down. Now take the back of your thumb and scrape your thumb nail slowly and gently downward on the edge of the blade. Don't slide it toe to heel, vertically down.

If the blade has an edge it'll shave a little bit of your finger nail off. If there's no edge it won't do much of anything to your finger nail.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 07:04 PM
Noir

Here's how to test if your blades are sharp enough:

1) Hold your skate blade side up.

2) Hold a piece of rectangular satin cloth directly on top of it and drop it on top of your skate blade

If the satin cloth slices cleanly as it floats down to your blade, then your blades are adequately sharp

Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 09:32 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post

2) Hold a piece of rectangular satin cloth directly on top of it and drop it on top of your skate blade

If the satin cloth slices cleanly as it floats down to your blade, then your blades are adequately sharp
LOL what...

Old
08-27-2012, 11:05 AM
MattB43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post

This sounds like a pretty good test. Can I buy the satin cloth at my LHS or is there a specialty store somewhere?

MattB43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 11:41 AM
howeaboutthat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB43 View Post
This sounds like a pretty good test. Can I buy the satin cloth at my LHS or is there a specialty store somewhere?
Most decent LHS sell blade sharpness test satin. Don't buy it from online retailers as they generally just sell normal satin which is no good at all and may damage your blades.

Last edited by howeaboutthat: 08-27-2012 at 12:12 PM. Reason: It was meant as tongue in cheek.
howeaboutthat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 11:55 AM
AIREAYE

First time I've heard of this! Is satin really that soft?

Old
08-27-2012, 12:06 PM
jsykes

Quote:
Originally Posted by howeaboutthat View Post
Most decent LHS sell blade sharpness test satin. Don't buy it from online retailers as they generally just sell normal satin which is no good at all and may damage your blades.
What the hell are you talking about? Dont listen to this.

Hold you skate upside down and look down the blade at a white wall or a light or something like that. You should be able to see the concave shape of the blade.

You can also place something flat along the top of blade and if you look down the blade lengthwise, you should see light underneath the flat edge in the middle of the steel.

Otherwise, just as you're doing here, go into the shop and tell them you're new and ask them to show you what a sharp blade looks like and help you out. I'm sure they'd be happy to help and explain to you how they're sharpened and what to look for.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 03:06 PM
Cowbell232

Just hold your skate up side down, and rest a coin on top of the blade. If you can see a gap between the coin and U of the hollow, you have edges... Very easily noticeable, with almost any hollow.

I use a quarter in America, but I think a 10p coin would best for your to use since it's the biggest/thinnest/roundest. It'll be easy to see the hollow if it's there.

Old
08-27-2012, 06:05 PM
bigduga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
Just hold your skate up side down, and rest a coin on top of the blade. If you can see a gap between the coin and U of the hollow, you have edges... Very easily noticeable, with almost any hollow.

I use a quarter in America, but I think a 10p coin would best for your to use since it's the biggest/thinnest/roundest. It'll be easy to see the hollow if it's there.
Not to disagree with a "global mod", but I'm not sure I understand this method, the radius of a US quarter is .477". It would sit in the bottom of a common half-inch traditional grind, would it not?

Edit: nevermind. figured it out. I'm an idiot.

You're talking about laying the coin face down on the blade. I was taught to check the depth of a fresh cut with the O.D. Of spare change by an old dude at the rink after a sharpening gone-bad by using coins as guages. Penny is 3/8", quarter is 1/2". If you can see daylight under the radius of a penny, you're cut way too deep.

Last edited by bigduga: 08-27-2012 at 06:13 PM.
bigduga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 10:31 PM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigduga View Post
Not to disagree with a "global mod", but I'm not sure I understand this method, the radius of a US quarter is .477". It would sit in the bottom of a common half-inch traditional grind, would it not?

Edit: nevermind. figured it out. I'm an idiot.

You're talking about laying the coin face down on the blade. I was taught to check the depth of a fresh cut with the O.D. Of spare change by an old dude at the rink after a sharpening gone-bad by using coins as guages. Penny is 3/8", quarter is 1/2". If you can see daylight under the radius of a penny, you're cut way too deep.
Yeah, I'm not saying to check the actual radius of the hollow, just to see if there is a hollow.

I use this method to ballpark whether or not my edges are still even after I get a cut.

And we mods are often wrong, don't feel about disagree with any of us when we are.

Cowbell232 is offline   Reply With Quote