HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Top 1997-born players in NB

Old
08-08-2012, 05:50 AM
NBHockey
finish your checks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBfan View Post
I'm not sold on Conrad or Downey, but I'm not sure who'd take a spot from one of them. Maybe Tristan Young or Riley Scott. They, at least, are likely to make a midget major team (Miramichi). I don't see Conrad or Tingley making the Moncton team, which is deep with returnees, and I expect other players will pass them by playing midget major while they toil in HS or midget minor. Downey will be hard-pressed to make the SJ team, also.

Fredericton and Miramichi will likely both have very young teams this year, some kids that make those teams are unlikely to end up on u16 over players who are stronger today but will play Sept-Jan at a lower level of competition.

Someone said this event didn't get the top kids out. I have to disagree. There were only a few absences of note, including Jacob (recovering from surgery), Belec (overseas with family), Buck (not sure: he is NOT going to Shattuck, by the way) and Ostroski (don't think he's ever done the HNB program: certainly he passed on u15). Hayward suffered a serious spinal cord injury in the spring and is out of the picture, at least for a year. Robinson was there but not in games (concussion), and Deschenes there for only the first two days (sick). Yes, the pool of forwards was thin, but who was missing? The pool is what it is.

In my respectful opinion, the 12 D at the camp, plus Ostroski, are the top 12. We can argue ad infinitum about their relative ranking, but I think they shift day to day. Except that Thompson, Paul and Deschenes are clearly ahead of the others (with Deschenes sliding back to the back), and Ward, Hachey and Robinson behind. Cloutier, Becker, Comeau, Robichaud and MacDougall are the middle of the pack, from where I sit: all with potential, but all with visible weaknesses. Each of them has games where they look like an emerging star, and games when they're invisible, or all cement feet. Still, I think all of these kids are prospects worth watching, if they crack a midget major or prep school roster.

Ward, Robinson and Ostroski are probably all competing for one spot on the Moncton Flyers, so two of them will likely play "down" this year, but the rest will get good competition. Thompson is switching to RNS, and Becker returning to OHA and taking Cloutier with him. The others will likely all play midget major, and their relative ranking will shift weekly from now through next May.

Vance is absolutely a better winger than Dman. I suspect Kevin Pottle will be the man to make it clear he's a forward if he's playing midget major this year. That's if. Someone said the boy aggravates opponents but is loved in his own room. Unfortunately, I doubt more than two people believe that to be true. The boy is intense, for sure, and he comes by it naturally, but that does not go over well in any room or on any bench,

The best of the forwards? Jacob, Bower, LeBlanc, Belec, Tompkins, Sarault, Vance. Sometimes Daley and sometimes Theriault. All should play prep (Bower, Sarault) or midget major this year, and we'll see how they sort out. Like the Dmen, all have growing to do.

This is a big time for those goalies too. Goguen is the least reliable of the four, but going to the right prep program might fix that. Galloway is all potential: a lot depends on where he ends up this season. Meadows' interest comes and goes: if he doesn't make midget major, he may spiral. Betts never sparkles but he just keeps stopping pucks. These four are the only prospects, really. Brideau, Foulem and Landry are next, but behind, and fading.
I don't think Vance will flip back to forward. I think that was an experiment, one which the family was not happy about at ND.

NBHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 10:40 AM
hockey100

[QUOTE=hockey jockey;46111623]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBHockey View Post
No clue if any of those are looking. It is too bad that so many of the 97's went to prep schools. It is a tough decision for such a young player but the family knows best what is good for thier kid.

I think scoutman1 said it best in a different thread I think, some go away because its a good opportunity, others go away because some did and don't want to be left out. I personally don't believe there are any better hockey opportunities for a 14 year old than right here in NB, and they give up a lot, especially at that age.[/QUOTE

I am not saying it is good or bad or what ever the reasons are, that would speculation on our part ,I would think they get lots more ice time and off ice conditioning at prep schools than minor hockey would provide in any province,not sure about the kids at Notre Dame (Vance and Paul) but the I was told the kids at OHA( Sarault, Becker Thompson) play in the midget league in Ontario which is suppose to be a very good league, do you know what league the kids at RNS (Bower, Mcinnis , Macdougall)play in.?
Prep scouts know how to reconize good potential player when he see's one. Lot's of players, never earn their ice time. You can take any underdog and place it between two good players and he will putt as many goal anyone required to boost a chart. Also, many of the higlighted players at that age are at their pics and will never grow out of it. Discipline and work ethic are two fondamental essence for development of players. Free pass doesn't give those two necessary commitments.
Most of the kid that go away is to get out of a vicious circle. Interview players from prep school and they will all tell you the same thing. I think prep school is necessary for players with potential, discipline and stong work ethic but are well hidden by the system. Remove all coachs/dad and you will see that the outcome of some of the selected players will change drastically. Both is good. Hockey NB and Prep school, it depend on the contexte the players live in.

hockey100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 04:31 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
I don't think Vance will flip back to forward. I think that was an experiment, one which the family was not happy about at ND.
Going into midget the " Family " may not have a choice what posistion he play's if he play's in Fredericton and Kevin Pottle decides he is better froward he may have to make a decision.

hockey jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 05:43 PM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey jockey View Post
Going into midget the " Family " may not have a choice what posistion he play's if he play's in Fredericton and Kevin Pottle decides he is better froward he may have to make a decision.
Well with Cloutier and Becker going to Ontario, and Thompson going to RNS his chances of playing defense have improved.

Old
08-09-2012, 07:23 PM
NBfan

Quote:
Well with Cloutier and Becker going to Ontario, and Thompson going to RNS his chances of playing defense have improved.
True, but with three returnees on D (counting Astle from Miramichi), there's still at least 8 legit candidates for that D corps. And barely 12 serviceable forwards. My money says Vance will be a forward, if he's on that team at all. He has no business getting cut, skillwise, but attitude matters. A lot. The last cuts from last year's Fredericton team, at D and F, were both far superior in skill to guys who made the team. Mr. Pottle just decided he didn't want to deal with their attitudes all year, so he didn't.

NBfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 08:06 PM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
True, but with three returnees on D (counting Astle from Miramichi), there's still at least 8 legit candidates for that D corps. And barely 12 serviceable forwards. My money says Vance will be a forward, if he's on that team at all. He has no business getting cut, skillwise, but attitude matters. A lot. The last cuts from last year's Fredericton team, at D and F, were both far superior in skill to guys who made the team. Mr. Pottle just decided he didn't want to deal with their attitudes all year, so he didn't.
So who do you see in the lineup?

Old
08-10-2012, 06:45 AM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Why did Matt Astle get cut last year?

Old
08-11-2012, 02:32 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Why did Matt Astle get cut last year?
Any chance Astle will make the Tigers he was a third round pick?

Old
08-14-2012, 08:12 AM
hockey100

[QUOTE=hockey100;53382013][QUOTE=hockey jockey;46111623]
Are any of those 1997 mention above in the UNB senior advanced camp? Does anyone have the result for the HNB U16?

Last edited by hockey100: 08-14-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old
08-14-2012, 10:03 AM
Dogpound

Quote:
Any chance Astle will make the Tigers he was a third round pick?
No chance Astle will make Tigers. Was just an average or below average Dman in midget this year on a really bad team.

Dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 10:08 AM
Dogpound

Quote:
I think he is , I believe he went to NFLD with them not sure if he played much or if he even dressed , going to the Telus Cup would be a good experience for him.
Jacob made the trip to NFLD and made the trip to Leduc. Scored a goal in both the Atlantics as well as the Nationals. Wasn't out of place one bit either. He will be a force in midget this year once he gets healthy, if that ever happens.

Old
08-14-2012, 07:56 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersboss View Post
Jacob made the trip to NFLD and made the trip to Leduc. Scored a goal in both the Atlantics as well as the Nationals. Wasn't out of place one bit either. He will be a force in midget this year once he gets healthy, if that ever happens.
I agree Jacob will be a good player in Midget this year if he stays healthy, he has missed U-15 AND U-16 camps the last two years due to injury the last I heard it will be January before he plays again, is there any truth to that?

Old
08-14-2012, 07:58 PM
hockey jockey

[QUOTE=hockey100;53558351][QUOTE=hockey100;53382013]
Quote:
Are any of those 1997 mention above in the UNB senior advanced camp? Does anyone have the result for the HNB U16?
What results are you looking for from the U-16 camp? as far as I know that team won't be picked until January.

Old
08-15-2012, 06:47 AM
Dogpound

Quote:
I agree Jacob will be a good player in Midget this year if he stays healthy, he has missed U-15 AND U-16 camps the last two years due to injury the last I heard it will be January before he plays again, is there any truth to that?
Jacob should be back by November depending on how his recovery is going..

Old
08-15-2012, 08:38 AM
hockey100

[QUOTE=hockey jockey;53579097][QUOTE=hockey100;53558351]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey100 View Post

What results are you looking for from the U-16 camp? as far as I know that team won't be picked until January.
U16 Male/Moins de 16 ans Festival de développement du hockey Hockey Development Festival

Goalies / Guardiens de buts:
Betts, Garett
Goguen, Derek
Galloway, Julian
Meadows, Tristan

Defense / défense:
Becker, Chris
Paul, Matt
Cloutier, Jonathan
Robichaud, Hugo
Comeau, David
Robinson, Mitchell
Deschenes, Luc
Thompson, Will
Hachey, Cole
Vance, Jacob
MacDougall, Ross
Ward, Colby

Forwards / avants:
Adams, Zack
Roscoe, Michael
Bower, Will
Sarault, Chris
Cameron, Sam
Scott, Riley
Charest, Vincent
Theriault, Cole
Conrad, Liam
Theriault, Francis
Daley, Patrick
Theriault, Joseph
Downey, Adam
Tingley, Brayden
Duffy, Cole
Tompkins, Ryan
Flanagan, Brogan
Ward, Casey
Gallant, Alexandre
Ward, Kyle
LeBlanc, Jean-Michel
Woulds, Peter
McInnis, Matt
Young, Tristan
Pellerin, Nicholas

See above the list of invites for HNB hockey devellopment camp. The atlantic challenge cup website seem to be out of order. I was wondering if anyone manage to get the list of the selected players.

Old
08-15-2012, 12:47 PM
NBfan

[QUOTE=hockey100;53590541][QUOTE=hockey jockey;53579097]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey100 View Post

See above the list of invites for HNB hockey devellopment camp. The atlantic challenge cup website seem to be out of order. I was wondering if anyone manage to get the list of the selected players.
The team was not selected. There will be no ACC for u16 this year. Each Atlantic province will send a team, and Quebec two teams, to a Q showcase tournament in May 2013. NB won't pick its team until January. Coaches can see who makes midget major, and scout them in league and tournament competition.

Old
08-15-2012, 12:54 PM
NBfan

[QUOTE=hockey100;53558351][QUOTE=hockey100;53382013]
Quote:
A few went to the UNB camp. Sarault, for one. The u16 coach took a bunch of them to a tournament is Massachusetts that week.

Old
08-15-2012, 01:10 PM
NBfan

Quote:
Two new goalies, and three new Dmen, assuming Fillmore, Deschenes, Astle are on the team. Three or four top 97s will be in the mix, but coach has been around a long time, and knows enough to be looking hard for serviceable 96s and 95s. I can't see him going with two 96s and four 97s on D.

Zilbert and Smallman are eligible to return up front, but both could be on the Sea Dogs. That would leave Cass, Wishart, Curtis and Bamford the only returnees. Daley and Tompkins seem likely to make it as rookies. After that, who knows? Not many other 97 forwards will compete for spots. The other 4-6 forwards will likely be 95s or 96s who played midget minor or high school last year.

Can you say "rebuilding"?

Old
08-16-2012, 10:28 AM
hockey100

[QUOTE=NBfan;53596995][QUOTE=hockey100;53590541]
Quote:

The team was not selected. There will be no ACC for u16 this year. Each Atlantic province will send a team, and Quebec two teams, to a Q showcase tournament in May 2013. NB won't pick its team until January. Coaches can see who makes midget major, and scout them in league and tournament competition.
Thanks for the information. I think it's a really good process. They finally realized that the hype of most players disapear in midget. Any insight on some underdogs that can alter the selection above by january?

Old
08-17-2012, 06:10 AM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Two new goalies, and three new Dmen, assuming Fillmore, Deschenes, Astle are on the team. Three or four top 97s will be in the mix, but coach has been around a long time, and knows enough to be looking hard for serviceable 96s and 95s. I can't see him going with two 96s and four 97s on D.

Zilbert and Smallman are eligible to return up front, but both could be on the Sea Dogs. That would leave Cass, Wishart, Curtis and Bamford the only returnees. Daley and Tompkins seem likely to make it as rookies. After that, who knows? Not many other 97 forwards will compete for spots. The other 4-6 forwards will likely be 95s or 96s who played midget minor or high school last year.

Can you say "rebuilding"?
What do you see the St John and Mirimichi teams looking like this year?

Old
08-17-2012, 08:09 AM
Dogpound

Quote:
What do you see the St John and Mirimichi teams looking like this year?
St John will be a little better then last year. A few of the players that could have played last year but decided to play Minor are suppposedly playing this year but also heard goalie Andrew Mergl quit hockey.
Mirimichi won't be any better i don't believe. Losing Bernard and Gray will hurt even know they only played half the games, they were still there top two players. League should be fairly even this year. Charlottetown will probably be decent this year especially if some of the guys come back.

Old
08-17-2012, 05:42 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersboss View Post
St John will be a little better then last year. A few of the players that could have played last year but decided to play Minor are suppposedly playing this year but also heard goalie Andrew Mergl quit hockey.
Mirimichi won't be any better i don't believe. Losing Bernard and Gray will hurt even know they only played half the games, they were still there top two players. League should be fairly even this year. Charlottetown will probably be decent this year especially if some of the guys come back.
What will Moncton look like this year

Old
08-27-2012, 06:44 PM
Hkysct

I think that Moncton will have a strong team this year but expect only two 97 born players on it; Jacobs and belec. Galloway should crack the roster as he by far the best 97 or 96 goalie going out (especially now that gogan is gone) but since Moncton is hosting the Atlantic cup you can almost guarantee they are going with older goalies and not worrying about succession planning. Critchlow was the affiliated player but I heard he's going to a prep school and he's not really a AAA calibre goalie anyway. He's streaky but not really consistent. The two goalies should be grandmaison and Galloway but will likely be grandmaison and charest. Charest is the returning goalie but rumor has it that he rubbed the coaching staff the wrong way last year with his work ethic and his primadonna attitude. With a new goalie coach coming in (Joel gauthier) all may be forgiven for charest. Gauthier works with max Landry a lot innthe summer so he may have an outside crack too but unless he really improved he's just not at the same level as the others. Since this is a 97 discussion I'm sticking with just 97's. As I said earlier the only two players that have a reasonable chance are Jacobs and belec. If Jacobs can get healthy and stay healthy he's a force to be handled. He's fragile though so time will tell. Belec is a workhorse and a big body. He'll do well. Other notable players like Colby ward, Robinson, etc will have to wait a year. Moncton has a HUGE pot to choose from and should do well in the league. Expect great things from Jacobs!

Hkysct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 06:13 AM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkysct View Post
I think that Moncton will have a strong team this year but expect only two 97 born players on it; Jacobs and belec. Galloway should crack the roster as he by far the best 97 or 96 goalie going out (especially now that gogan is gone) but since Moncton is hosting the Atlantic cup you can almost guarantee they are going with older goalies and not worrying about succession planning. Critchlow was the affiliated player but I heard he's going to a prep school and he's not really a AAA calibre goalie anyway. He's streaky but not really consistent. The two goalies should be grandmaison and Galloway but will likely be grandmaison and charest. Charest is the returning goalie but rumor has it that he rubbed the coaching staff the wrong way last year with his work ethic and his primadonna attitude. With a new goalie coach coming in (Joel gauthier) all may be forgiven for charest. Gauthier works with max Landry a lot innthe summer so he may have an outside crack too but unless he really improved he's just not at the same level as the others. Since this is a 97 discussion I'm sticking with just 97's. As I said earlier the only two players that have a reasonable chance are Jacobs and belec. If Jacobs can get healthy and stay healthy he's a force to be handled. He's fragile though so time will tell. Belec is a workhorse and a big body. He'll do well. Other notable players like Colby ward, Robinson, etc will have to wait a year. Moncton has a HUGE pot to choose from and should do well in the league. Expect great things from Jacobs!
It sounds like goaltending is good in Moncton I can't see Galloway making that team as a first year though.It will be interesting to see if all skaters return this year that are eligable or if some stick with the junior teams which they are attendind camp with.

Old
08-30-2012, 06:51 AM
Dogpound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkysct View Post
It is Jacob not Jacobs.. They will definitely have more then 2 97's in the line up.. They are only going to have about 4 or 5 returning guys.