HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

EJ and O'Reilly

Old
08-23-2012, 04:05 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 453
Missed that news yesterday, but man oh man, give the guy 5 years if he wants it.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 04:18 PM
Elever
Hth

vCash: 500
I'm all for giving him long-term if it means the cap hit is a discount (around 2.5-3 M).

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 03:47 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
Giving someone anything he wants after one ok season is foolish and given Sherman's record as an RFA re-signer, is something that's unlikely to happen.
I'm all for being cautious with long term deals, but if a player like O'Reilly is trying to negotiate a 5 year deal, and the Avs give it to him, I don't think that really equates to giving him anything he wants.

Now if he's insisting on $5 or $6 million to go along with that, that's a different story, but none of us know that, and I doubt that's what he's looking for. I think he's more likely looking for around what Jones and PAP got at $4M, and I have a hunch that if the CBA gets done and they get closer to camp without a deal, they have a fallback plan of a one or two year around $3-3.5M.

I also really get the feeling the CBA is the main factor in this getting delayed, not that they are far apart, or can't agree on a deal.

Last edited by Foppa2118: 08-24-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 04:04 PM
Ron C.
HFBoards Sponsor

I would advocate the Sabres Offer sheet ROR. 5years/25M would bring back to Colorado a 1st and a 3rd. The question is, does Colorado match? If yes, why is he not signed already?

Ron C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 04:22 PM
GamingGiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron C. View Post
I would advocate the Sabres Offer sheet ROR. 5years/25M would bring back to Colorado a 1st and a 3rd. The question is, does Colorado match? If yes, why is he not signed already?
With the ongoing CBA talks and no offer sheets on the table for Factor, management probably believes they have lots of time to negotiate with him.

If Factor did get offer sheeted with your proposal I would think management would match on the spot.

Last edited by GamingGiant: 08-24-2012 at 04:27 PM.
GamingGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 04:53 PM
AvalancheFan19

Quote:
Plain and simple our players are not the players you want to offer sheet. We'd match it, no questions asked. Unless we're talking 4 first round picks, but that's a moot point so whatever.

AvalancheFan19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 06:20 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

I would be ecstatic to lock him up for 5 years. Hell I'd be happier if they signed him for 7-8 years.

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 06:52 PM
Goulet17

Quote:
Specious logic. If it were that simple, why wouldn't the Sabres offer sheet Kane or Benn? It is difficult to imagine any scenario in which the Avs accept a 1st and a 3rd and walk away from O'Reilly.

Goulet17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 09:11 PM
Elever
Hth

Dater was on the Puck Daddy podcast today. Said he hasn't really been manning the phones and said that the main issue is just $ but he pretty much admitted that it was just his speculation.

Old
08-27-2012, 10:29 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Dater was on the Puck Daddy podcast today. Said he hasn't really been manning the phones and said that the main issue is just $ but he pretty much admitted that it was just his speculation.

Old
08-27-2012, 11:27 PM
JMP

I thought the issue was term and not $, in the last blog Chambers stated that O'Reilly wanted a 5 year deal and the avs were only offering 3. I would have to imagine this is because they want to keep him as RFA status. I very much doubt he gets more than the 3.5 that dutchy got, I also very much doubt he's demanding more than that

JMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 09:16 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP View Post
I thought the issue was term and not $, in the last blog Chambers stated that O'Reilly wanted a 5 year deal and the avs were only offering 3. I would have to imagine this is because they want to keep him as RFA status. I very much doubt he gets more than the 3.5 that dutchy got, I also very much doubt he's demanding more than that
You missed this part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post

Old
08-29-2012, 10:51 PM
Elever
Hth

I guess it can be about both. I mean if he wants $4 M at 5 yrs then I can obviously see why the Avs wouldn't want that.

But if they have him at 5 yrs for ~$3 M and aren't going through with it then they really are a bad group of ownership/mgmt for the future. I mean Wayne Simmonds got almost $4 M for 6 yrs and I'd much rather have ROR over him and it's not like Simmonds is that much more proven. Turris got a 5 yr $3.5 M deal today and obviously Turris' offensive potential is higher than O'Reilly's but it's not like Turris has had multiple seasons on pace for 50 pts (though that's more the fault of Dave Tippett than it is Turris').

My own guess though is that it has more to do with the fact that they're in no hurry to get a deal done because they just haven't met properly any time recently and are just enjoying their summer or whatever and the lockout has put a lot of GM's who should be making moves (and owners who should be financing them) into we'll do it later mode.

Old
08-29-2012, 11:16 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

Turris has a career high 29 pts and got a 5 year 17.5 million$ contract. I'd assume O'reilly is looking for 4.5 or so on that type of term. Avs don't know if he's worth that yet or maybe they plan on using him more in a defensive role again for the near future so idk I can see why they would want to give him a shorter term contract. Contracts are crazy right now so i can see why the Avs aren't too quick to pull the trigger on a deal even though ROR is obviously a long term keeper

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 12:43 AM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
don't blame the Avs here. Wait until the CBA to sign him. As much as I like O'Reilly, it just makes common sense to wait.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 11:37 AM
JeffFingerDiscount

A thought occurred to me while reading all about Landy yesterday. What if the contention on O'Reilly's contract is actually because the front office believes his offensive explosion this year was a result of having Landeskog on his line? I could see that making a big difference in the number of dollars being put forth by Avs management. That and Duchene's contract could put O'Reilly in a tight spot contractually.

No doubt that he gets signed, but I suspect a lot of the hold up is both sides having a difference of opinion in what kind of player he is.

JeffFingerDiscount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 12:19 PM
InjuredChoker

Did ROR have some injury at the end of the season? I was looking at he's game log and he had only 6 points in the last 18 games and was -6 (Landeskog for example had 12 points and was -2, though the small variation in +/- isn't that significant).

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 12:59 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
Did ROR have some injury at the end of the season? I was looking at he's game log and he had only 6 points in the last 18 games and was -6 (Landeskog for example had 12 points and was -2, though the small variation in +/- isn't that significant).
We traded Winnik so he was given added defensive responsiblity.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 01:17 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
My personal belief is that he went 'balls to the wall' from day 1 last season and ran out of gas a little bit near the end of the year. Needs to learn to pace himself more because it's a really long season especially if you make the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
We traded Winnik so he was given added defensive responsiblity.
I don't necessarily agree. O'Reilly's line was being used as one of our top 2 lines down the stretch and not once did I think, 'hey, ROR is being used in a shutdown capacity'.

If anything, when we traded Winnik, more defensive responsibility went to McClement's line and as we saw, the 3rd line of Duchene-Mueller and Hejduk was quite bad, even when healthy.

Unless you're talking about time on the PK, which ROR was being used pretty much all year anyways.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 05:54 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Bob McKenzie talks about O'Reilly and the other top unsigned RFAs in his new insider video on TSN.ca

He says none of them are close to a deal and if they do get a deal done, a short-term deal seems more likely. He also said some of the teams might decide to shelve talks until there is a new CBA in place.

Hopefully they can get a deal done before September 15th.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 10:43 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
My personal belief is that he went 'balls to the wall' from day 1 last season and ran out of gas a little bit near the end of the year. Needs to learn to pace himself more because it's a really long season especially if you make the playoffs.

I don't necessarily agree. O'Reilly's line was being used as one of our top 2 lines down the stretch and not once did I think, 'hey, ROR is being used in a shutdown capacity'.

If anything, when we traded Winnik, more defensive responsibility went to McClement's line and as we saw, the 3rd line of Duchene-Mueller and Hejduk was quite bad, even when healthy.

Unless you're talking about time on the PK, which ROR was being used pretty much all year anyways.
I think both he and Landeskog looked a tad gassed towards the end, but I think the drop in production was more because they became the Avs clear cut top line right around that time. Before that they were playing well, but there was still reason for opposing teams to think about sending their top shutdown pair against Stastny's line or Duchene's line. Once they got Downie, and kicked it back into gear it was pretty obvious they were facing the toughest matchup every night, where as before it was kind of sporadic in that regard.

This is also why Stastny's line was generating a lot of chances as well too. Same time period. Not that they didn't play well, but I don't think both things are a coincidence. O'Reilly's line producing less, and Stastny's line producing more.

Old
09-05-2012, 11:23 PM
PeterTheGreat

Downie's injury brought that line down quite a bit too.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 09:33 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

I'd love to see the Avs lock-up O'Reilly to a 10 year deal for $45M. I'd be a bit pricey early on but the last half of that deal would end up being a steal, in my opinion.

Won't happen, though I'd love to see it.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 09:47 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
O'Reilly was getting more PK time with Winnik out than he was with Winnik on the team. But his overall ice time was not significantly higher (I didn't verify this... I am just recalling it) so my opinion is that he lost some ES time and was being given harder minutes over the course of a game, combined with an agreement on him 'running out of gas' caused his drop in points.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote