HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Blues Forum Lounge Thread (Home of All Things OT)

Closed Thread

Old
08-24-2012, 05:07 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

vCash: 50
Slightly off topic, but am I the only one that believes Skip should play every day? I love Descalso's defense, and he's a good utility guy to have on the team, but Skip is hitting 75 points higher than him, and has a history of getting timely hits. Skip isn't really a liability on defense either. He may not make some of the plays Descalso does, but his offense more than makes up for that. I just don't see how he doesn't play.

Old
08-26-2012, 09:40 PM
Thekidline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
Slightly off topic, but am I the only one that believes Skip should play every day? I love Descalso's defense, and he's a good utility guy to have on the team, but Skip is hitting 75 points higher than him, and has a history of getting timely hits. Skip isn't really a liability on defense either. He may not make some of the plays Descalso does, but his offense more than makes up for that. I just don't see how he doesn't play.
I agree it made sense to give Descalso more time at 2nd in july cause he was having a very good month for his standards at the plate but since then he has gone downhill... Still love his defense anywhere in the infield... but skip should be the everyday 2nd baseman.

Old
08-26-2012, 09:42 PM
Thekidline

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
I don't think that Carlos Martinez has passed him. Martinez is also a lot further away. I think Shelby Miller and Joe Kelly will be the two competitors for the 5th spot in the rotation. If Kelly loses, I could see Kelly becoming the long reliever, whereas Miller would return to Memphis. I honestly think that Miller will beat out Kelly, and take the 5th spot. Miller started out the year poorly, but now has been on fire.

I don't think that it's that unusual for a young pitcher, especially one who relies on his fastball. When he started to get hit at the beginning of the season, he became increasingly reliant on the fastball, pitching it more often than he should, because he was most confident in that pitch. That meant that hitters could wait on his fastball and then be ready for it. The no shake rule was more to get him more confidence in his offspeed pitches, and judging by his results recently, it's worked.
True but Martinez has had a great season and has made a lot of progress he is defiantly closing the gap in my opinion.

Old
08-26-2012, 10:39 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekidline View Post
True but Martinez has had a great season and has made a lot of progress he is defiantly closing the gap in my opinion.
Martinez is essentially having the season this year that Miller had last year. Same WHIP, but Miller had a better ERA, K/BB, and K/9

Old
08-27-2012, 09:51 AM
Thekidline

Quote:
Martinez is essentially having the season this year that Miller had last year. Same WHIP, but Miller had a better ERA, K/BB, and K/9
Right, and that helps martinez and this current season is hurting miller's stock.

Old
08-27-2012, 11:04 AM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Right, and that helps martinez and this current season is hurting miller's stock.
I disagree, because it's a different level. I think if Miller was down in AAA, he'd be destroying more so than Martinez is

Old
08-27-2012, 03:20 PM
Thekidline

Quote:
I disagree, because it's a different level. I think if Miller was down in AAA, he'd be destroying more so than Martinez is
Miller > martinez I agree but we haven't seen martinez go on such a long slump like miller has I know it is at a higher level and that the slump is behind him (knock on wood)..... but it still is a bump in the road.

Old
08-27-2012, 10:10 PM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

Danario Alexander has been released.

Shame he couldn't stay healthy. We just lost our most talented wide receiver.

Old
08-28-2012, 10:29 AM
Thekidline

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post

Seriously he was magnificent in his senior season at mizzou and showed many positive signs last year when healthy..... Most talented? I don't know about that Brian Quick would be my choice for that.

Old
08-28-2012, 01:14 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:

Extremely talented, but his knee simply cannot hold up to the NFL. Every team passed on him in the draft for the very same reason, you are worthless if you cant stay healthy. Combined with the fact that we have a lot of receivers in camp and it wasnt very surprising.

Old
08-28-2012, 02:16 PM
Thekidline

Now that we are on the topic of the WR position. It seems as if the 6 that will make the team for week one is very clear:
Amendola
Givens
Salas
Quick
Smith
Gibson
(in no particular order)

Where it gets interesting is that Pettis doesn't count against the active 53 until his suspension is over which I believe he first potential game is week 3. There is a very good chance that there will be at least one injury by then so he could simply switch places with one of the previously mentioned six receivers but if not what happens when he comes back and everyone is healthy... its to early to tell. But overall what does everyone think of this receiving core?

Who are you excited about?

What are your expectations of everyone?

Old
08-28-2012, 04:09 PM
Memento
Missourian.

Quote:
Now that we are on the topic of the WR position. It seems as if the 6 that will make the team for week one is very clear:
Amendola
Givens
Salas
Quick
Smith
Gibson
(in no particular order)

Where it gets interesting is that Pettis doesn't count against the active 53 until his suspension is over which I believe he first potential game is week 3. There is a very good chance that there will be at least one injury by then so he could simply switch places with one of the previously mentioned six receivers but if not what happens when he comes back and everyone is healthy... its to early to tell. But overall what does everyone think of this receiving core?

Who are you excited about?

What are your expectations of everyone?
I'm excited about Pettis, actually. I think he's won the job as the number two receiver based on the camp he's had, and he really came on at the end of the year. Great hands, good height, deceptive speed, and he's one tough son-of-a-gun.

Old
09-01-2012, 05:15 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

I really want to see Tavaras play in the bigs! Also, the announcers haven't said a thing about Matt Adams really since he got sent down, but he is still tearing it up. I'm not as high on Kolten Wong as others seem to be. .285 average in the minors just doesn't do it for me. 21 out of 32 in stolen bases isn't incredible either. We really need to draft a good middle infielder at some point. Furcal's not going to be around too much longer, and Descalso is hardly a long term replacement. It's been a problem for so long, I can't believe we haven't addressed it in a trade or draft.

Old
09-01-2012, 05:43 PM
Bruv
Loveless

Scrabble is awful.

Old
09-01-2012, 09:13 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
I really want to see Tavaras play in the bigs! Also, the announcers haven't said a thing about Matt Adams really since he got sent down, but he is still tearing it up. I'm not as high on Kolten Wong as others seem to be. .285 average in the minors just doesn't do it for me. 21 out of 32 in stolen bases isn't incredible either. We really need to draft a good middle infielder at some point. Furcal's not going to be around too much longer, and Descalso is hardly a long term replacement. It's been a problem for so long, I can't believe we haven't addressed it in a trade or draft.
We've tried in the draft through Kozma and Greene. They just haven't panned out.

Old
09-02-2012, 04:11 PM
Bruv
Loveless

Quote:
Numbers don't always show how good a player can hit in the majors. A lot of players have hit better in the bigs than they did in AA.

Old
09-02-2012, 06:19 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

I sure hope that's the case. Most of the players we bring up, and most players in general hit much better in the minors than they do in the majors. Even Adron Chambers is a .320 hitter in the minors. Tyler Greene has always destroyed minor league pitching. That's why I'm skeptical.

Old
09-02-2012, 08:55 PM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

A couple of interesting moves today for the Rams.

Hoomanawanui was released as was Quinn Ojinnaka. Replacing them was a guard, Shelley Smith from the Texans and an offensive tackle from the Colts.

Salas was traded the other day to New England. Never seemed like he got much of a shot once it was determined he couldnt' play outside.

Old
09-03-2012, 03:44 PM
Bruv
Loveless

Quote:
I sure hope that's the case. Most of the players we bring up, and most players in general hit much better in the minors than they do in the majors. Even Adron Chambers is a .320 hitter in the minors. Tyler Greene has always destroyed minor league pitching. That's why I'm skeptical.
Kolten Wong is a much better prospect than all those guys. Wong has star potential. His ceiling is a Dustin Pedroia-like player.

Old
09-03-2012, 05:57 PM
Memento
Missourian.

Quote:
A couple of interesting moves today for the Rams.

Hoomanawanui was released as was Quinn Ojinnaka. Replacing them was a guard, Shelley Smith from the Texans and an offensive tackle from the Colts.

Salas was traded the other day to New England. Never seemed like he got much of a shot once it was determined he couldnt' play outside.
Said offensive tackle (Ty Nsekhe) is 6'8", 325 lbs and spent time in the Arena Football League as an offensive tackle/tight end. He's unbelievably gifted when it comes to physical talent, and he has a major nasty streak to go along with it. However, he's extremely raw. He'd be a great developmental project, much like the guard that we picked up for the practice squad (Brandon Washington).

Shelley Smith looks like a numbers casualty; the Texans swing tackle went down, and they had to release a guard in order to sign another tackle. Still, four teams put in a waivers claim for him (us, Tennessee, Seattle, and Minnesota), so he had to have been doing something right.

I also like the running back we picked up via waivers (Terrance Ganaway). 6'0", 240 lbs., but with deceptive speed. He'll be the guy for goalline situations. Kellen Heard looks like a stopgap until Brockers comes back, but Waufle coached him before (Heard was on the Raiders practice squad when Waufle was there), so maybe he sees something we don't.

As for Salas? A lot of guys outplayed him, and for some reason or other, he wasn't the same receiver that he was last year. I'm just glad that we got a future pick for him instead of releasing him outright.

I'm really liking what the Rams are doing; we're looking at the future as well as the present and picking up players with high upside as developmental projects. We can afford that; after years of doing the same thing over and over again, we should be trying something different.

Old
09-03-2012, 08:57 PM
SirPaste

Looks like Shelby Miller got the call up

Old
09-03-2012, 10:27 PM
Thekidline

Quote:
Adams has been out for the season since mid august......

I think that Tavares should stay in AA getting everyday playing time until springfield is knocked out of the playoffs then I wouldn't mind seeing him in the bigs... IMO he will benefit more from the regular at bats there than the occasional one in the bigs...... This was Wong's first full season in the pros and he was hitting well above .300 for the beginning of the season.... He has never played this long of a full season before as he had a break between college and minor league baseball last season. Maybe the mediocre second half has been caused by fatigue? Which will become a non factor this time next season most likely. He is a legit middle infield prospect.

Old
09-04-2012, 08:28 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

I was unaware Adams was injured. I saw that he had 94 games played between the MLB and the minors, and never really thought much of it. That makes a lot of sense. I surely hope Wong's struggles of late have come from fatigue. I would love to have a sure handed middle infielder that could potentially bat leadoff some day. Jon Jay has done well in the leadoff spot, but I'd rather have him down in the 2 hole because he's been pretty clutch at driving in runs throughout his career. Post dispatch was saying earlier in the week that they expected Shelby Miller to be a September callup. I guess we'll see how that goes. Rick Ankiel comes to mind, although I doubt he will be asked to pitch the first game of a playoff series lol.

Old
09-05-2012, 10:30 AM
Thekidline

Miller was indeed called up. There is a possibility of more call-ups coming later because springfield made the playoffs and their players are obviously gonna stay with them until they have been eliminated unless there is some emergency need for someone in the bigs.

Old
09-05-2012, 02:54 PM
SirPaste

So far 2 perfect innings with 4 Ks for Miller

edit: nevermind, looks like there was one hit

Closed Thread